Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,092 members, 7,814,804 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:09 PM

Art Films - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Art Films (842 Views)

Link To Download Bollywood Films(indian Movies) / Full Length Free Nollywood Films: In The Eyes Of My Husband (1&2) / Any Lover Of Mount Zion Films In The House? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Art Films by Seun(m): 6:07pm On Jan 06, 2008
NOBODY is talking about making "art movies"

By "art movie" I mean "a 'good' movie that is not expected to make money because most people won't get it".

that's a generalization and a stereotype. art movies do not have to be boring.

Yes, it's stereotypical. Sorry. But here's what I was responding to:

I WILL RATHER MAKE A GOOD FILM THAN JUST MONEY

He seems to think that making money will hamper his quest to make a good movie. He doesn't seem to realize that good movies usually make money and that profitable movies are usually quite good. Nollywood is successful because, if you can look beyond the superficial flaws, many of their movies are actually quite good. Beyond that, some compromises they make are acceptable because a flawed movie is still better than no movie. When you say you believe in quality but you're yet to raise enough money to make a movie your way, you are not better than the hustler in Nollywood who has made 4 or 5 average or bad movies. In Nigeria, we make lots of bad movies and some good ones. In other countries, except India and the US, they make no movies. They don't even have any movies to criticize. And the few movies they make are technically perfect but boring compared to our 'junk'.

But that's not what this thread is about, is it? It's about a short film in need of actors.
Re: Art Films by Seun(m): 8:20pm On Jan 06, 2008
but that is a stereotype in of itself, and the kind of reasoning that is used to defend the crap that Nollywood puts out: the idea that if you make something that is of better quality, that the audience will not "get" it. (or as one producer once put it to me: "our audience is not sophisticated, so why should our movies be?"wink
I'm merely suggesting that those "good" art films that nobody gets are actually bad films.
If you open your mouth and words come out but nobody understands, you're a bad communicator.
Re: Art Films by Seun(m): 9:23am On Jan 07, 2008
Yeah. The thing is, my comment about art movies was a throwaway comment. We are all artists.
Re: Art Films by Nobody: 11:10am On Mar 10, 2008
please seun, i need ur help urgently. i have a blogsite titled shitsinnollywood.blogsite.com its based on critisicism of nigerian whack hoevideos. i don't know how to really get pple to respond to it and also how i can use goole ad to make money from it.
Re: Art Films by powerofmap(m): 11:57am On Mar 10, 2008
grin hmmmmmmmmmmmmm interesting am loving it,
Prof keep it coming
Re: Art Films by powerofmap(m): 7:20pm On Mar 10, 2008
grin Thanx I think I now understand better and base on our last discussion it not about the art anymore just strictly business right?
Re: Art Films by iice(f): 4:38pm On Mar 20, 2008
combrazor:

do you make films because you feel you have something to say and you want to create something beautiful and enduring whether or not it makes money?

or do you make films because you think it's a good way to make money?

both motivations are completely valid, and you can choose which one is for you.

one thing i will say, though: whether your motivation is art or business, you still need to deal with a lot of business in order to make art (and vice versa).

filmaking is both an art and a business.

or rather, filmmaking is a business that sells art.

Indeed!
Re: Art Films by Seun(m): 4:50pm On Mar 20, 2008
Indeed!
Don't you have thoughts of your own to add?
Re: Art Films by iice(f): 6:41am On Mar 21, 2008
Nope. . .combrazor summed it up perfectly

on 2nd thought, what are the film schools like? Do they not get the movies made by students out for the public to see?
I know most people don't want to make movies for art's sake but those who do, i hope their movies get out for those of us interested in seeing them.
Free screening and all that. . .
Sort of like Alliance francaise does and sometimes Institituto Cervantes.
I hope someone one day will finance a project like the 'project green light' production. A chance for budding directors/writers even actors to showcase their talents.

(1) (Reply)

Assistance Needed For Constructing An Ultra Modern Website / 30 Days / Dark Knight! Hot!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.