Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,831 members, 7,817,431 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:11 PM

Fire At Labaowo Market In Ibadan Destroys Property Worth Millions. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fire At Labaowo Market In Ibadan Destroys Property Worth Millions. (4114 Views)

Fire Destroys Property & Goods Worth Millions Of Naira In Yenagoa Bayelsa. Pics / Sabon Gari Market In Kano On Fire / Governor Wike Buying Things At A Market In Rivers State (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fire At Labaowo Market In Ibadan Destroys Property Worth Millions. by fatdon2(m): 12:53pm On Sep 06, 2012
Traders at Labaowo Market, Ogunpa, in Ibadan North West Local Government of Oyo State were on Wednesday thrown into confusion when a section of the market was razed by fire.

The market went up in flames at around 10am as an inflammable product (adhesive) allegedly caught fire destroying items worth millions of naira.

The President, Labaowo International Market, Alhaji Lukmon Alaka, said tragedy struck when a woman opened a can of gum near another woman who was cooking.

Alaka said, “A woman was cooking noodles beside her when the place went up in flames following an explosion. The shops went up in flames.”

He, however, stated that traders at the market had been warned against cooking in the market.

According to him, three people with five buildings were affected by the inferno. However, he said no life was lost in the incident.

Those injured were said to have been taken to an undisclosed hospital where they were treated and discharged.

Recalling that it was the second time the market would be razed by fire, Alaka said close to one billion naira worth of property were destroyed.

The chairman, while calling on the state government to provide fire station in the market, solicited assistance for victims of the inferno.

The Deputy Commissioner of Police (Operations), Oyo State Command, Mr. Musa Kimo, who was at the scene, said they were expected to protect the people and ensure that hoodlums did not take advantage of the situation.
www.channelstv.com/home/2012/09/06/fire-guts-ibadan-market-destroys-property-worth-millions/

Re: Fire At Labaowo Market In Ibadan Destroys Property Worth Millions. by fatdon2(m): 1:54pm On Sep 06, 2012
Re: Fire At Labaowo Market In Ibadan Destroys Property Worth Millions. by miteolu(m): 2:27pm On Sep 06, 2012
okay now, next topic.
Re: Fire At Labaowo Market In Ibadan Destroys Property Worth Millions. by Nobody: 2:31pm On Sep 06, 2012
I read it on punch online too. Sad news.
Re: Fire At Labaowo Market In Ibadan Destroys Property Worth Millions. by Kesmakveli(m): 2:34pm On Sep 06, 2012
ehya! I reali feel for the traderz in there... May God see them tru diz dificult time. Amen.
Re: Fire At Labaowo Market In Ibadan Destroys Property Worth Millions. by freecocoa(f): 2:35pm On Sep 06, 2012
Na wa o

Wetin them dey sell for the market wey worth close to one billion?shocked Abeg make that chairman easy with the lie.

Anyways i hope the government will do something for the affected people.
Re: Fire At Labaowo Market In Ibadan Destroys Property Worth Millions. by Kpac(m): 2:40pm On Sep 06, 2012
In an Advanced Country
With the same incident, fire service would have put out the fire when it was still around 5% of its capacity, especially because its a market, insurance companies would have visited the affected traders and evaluation of their losses made immediately where compensation follows closely, the police would have restricted the area with yellow tapes while reconstruction is being planned immediately on site, within few hours, the real cause would be unveiled and the market get back fully in few days without much hullabaloo.
In Nigeria
With this incident, Traders would cry and cry, No insurance in place, Nearest fire service is far and they haven't even resumed by that 10am the fire started, thugs would start their looting, people would start random fights and noise, police are on top of the situation while they have no explanations for the fire even by next month, they tell everyone not to cook again in the market, government goes there promising relief materials and the market would still be under construction for the next 6 months at least.

What a difference

3 Likes

Re: Fire At Labaowo Market In Ibadan Destroys Property Worth Millions. by Ramcie(f): 2:41pm On Sep 06, 2012
What is it with markets and fire outbreaks Virtually all the markets I know have been gutted by fire either yearly or every other year.
Re: Fire At Labaowo Market In Ibadan Destroys Property Worth Millions. by Nobody: 2:43pm On Sep 06, 2012
freecocoa: Na wa o

Wetin them dey sell for the market wey worth close to one billion?shocked Abeg make that chairman easy with the lie.

what do you expect? We are conversant with the name "1billion naira". Our president is also eating food worth 1 billion naira too! undecided
Re: Fire At Labaowo Market In Ibadan Destroys Property Worth Millions. by freecocoa(f): 2:48pm On Sep 06, 2012
berem: what do you expect? We are conversant with the name "1billion naira". Our president is also eating food worth 1 billion naira too! undecided
Abi o. cheesy
Re: Fire At Labaowo Market In Ibadan Destroys Property Worth Millions. by erniok(m): 2:57pm On Sep 06, 2012

Could be true. Ladipo mkt in lagos will definitely have that worth of goods in it.
Re: Fire At Labaowo Market In Ibadan Destroys Property Worth Millions. by Nobody: 2:57pm On Sep 06, 2012
If u live in ibadan,you will understand better.I live in ibadan and I knw d worth of d market

Re: Fire At Labaowo Market In Ibadan Destroys Property Worth Millions. by freecocoa(f): 3:04pm On Sep 06, 2012
erniok:
Could be true. Ladipo mkt in lagos will definitely have that worth of goods in it.
It doesn't say ladipo.
Re: Fire At Labaowo Market In Ibadan Destroys Property Worth Millions. by freecocoa(f): 3:05pm On Sep 06, 2012
Soyedele1: If u live in ibadan,you will understand better.I live in ibadan and I knw d worth of d market
I hear, the whole market was not burnt o, na part them talk and my dear forget the way the call figures anyhow in this country.

One billion na mega money.

Besides from what the story says, the section where the fire started is where a woman was cooking, you can guess what is being sold in that part of the market. True that the fire may spread but omo the figure large.cheesy
Re: Fire At Labaowo Market In Ibadan Destroys Property Worth Millions. by santakris(m): 3:24pm On Sep 06, 2012
freecocoa: It doesn't say ladipo.
?
It for humanbeings. Na wao.
Re: Fire At Labaowo Market In Ibadan Destroys Property Worth Millions. by amosy007: 3:31pm On Sep 06, 2012
freecocoa: I hear, the whole market was not burnt o, na part them talk and my dear forget the way the call figures anyhow in this country.

Besides from what the story says, the section where the fire started is where a woman was cooking, you can guess what is being sold in that part of the market. True that the fire may spread but omo the figure large.cheesy

U really don't have to argue what u knew nothing about ...ibadan happens to be one of those cities in nigeria that doesn't have proper town planning and no specific place for those that cook or sell foods .. A woman can be doing her cooking beside a bank or anywhere she likes .. The fact that the woman sells food there doesn't mean the area is meant for food sellers alone ...besides have being to d market, its one of the major markets in ibadan that deals mostly with electronics and irons ...though I don't know the level of d damage but I can't dispute the figure ...because a shop there can have upto 25million and above what of goods ...that's just it

1 Like

Re: Fire At Labaowo Market In Ibadan Destroys Property Worth Millions. by freecocoa(f): 3:31pm On Sep 06, 2012
santakris: ?
It for humanbeings. Na wao.
You sabi anything at all? shocked

"It" refers to the article olodo rabata.tongue

I simply mean the article doesn't say ladipo is the market that was burnt.

Hian o undecided
Re: Fire At Labaowo Market In Ibadan Destroys Property Worth Millions. by freecocoa(f): 3:36pm On Sep 06, 2012
amosy007:

U really don't have to argue what u knew nothing about ...ibadan happens to be one of those city in nigeria that doesn't have proper town planning and no specific place for those that cook or sell foods .. A woman can be doing her cooking beside a bank or anywhere she likes .. The fact that the woman sells food there doesn't mean the area is meant for food sellers alone ...besides have being to d market, its one of the major markets in ibadan that deals mostly with electronics and irons ...though I don't know the level of d damage but I can't dispute the figure ...because a shop there can have upto 25million and above what of goods ...that's just it
Okay no wahala for the sake of avoiding argument i will agree with you.

Even if 10 shops with goods worth 25m were burnt e no still reach 1 billion undecided

#just thinking aloud.
Re: Fire At Labaowo Market In Ibadan Destroys Property Worth Millions. by erniok(m): 3:49pm On Sep 06, 2012
freecocoa: It doesn't say ladipo.
I know it didn't say ladipo but the way you were coming hard on him insinuated he was lying. I was only drawing parallel comparism to correct such notion.
Re: Fire At Labaowo Market In Ibadan Destroys Property Worth Millions. by freecocoa(f): 3:55pm On Sep 06, 2012
erniok:
I know it didn't say ladipo but the way you were coming hard on him insinuated he was lying. I was only drawing parallel comparism to correct such notion.
Point noted.
Re: Fire At Labaowo Market In Ibadan Destroys Property Worth Millions. by amosy007: 4:05pm On Sep 06, 2012
freecocoa: Okay no wahala for the sake of avoiding argument i will agree with you.

Even if 10 shops with goods worth 25m were burnt e no still reach 1 billion undecided

#just thinking aloud.

Did they indicate the number of shops that got burnt? Shops around there were built close to each other ...so if its ten shops that will be obvious lie ....though the money may not be upto that but hey what does it change ? People are jobless now with families to feed
Re: Fire At Labaowo Market In Ibadan Destroys Property Worth Millions. by waice6571: 4:06pm On Sep 06, 2012
freecocoa: I hear, the whole market was not burnt o, na part them talk and my dear forget the way the call figures anyhow in this country.

See nairaland mentality in action, brain drain comments from people that knew nothing about the market. just take a short trip down to ibadan so that you will see it yourself the worth of the market in question.
Re: Fire At Labaowo Market In Ibadan Destroys Property Worth Millions. by freecocoa(f): 4:09pm On Sep 06, 2012
^Abeg shift make i see person wey me and am been dey talk,mstcheeww.
Re: Fire At Labaowo Market In Ibadan Destroys Property Worth Millions. by freecocoa(f): 4:11pm On Sep 06, 2012
amosy007:

Did they indicate the number of shops that got burnt? Shops around there were built close to each other ...so if its ten shops that will be obvious lie ....though the money may not be upto that but hey what does it change ? People are jobless now with families to feed
If you read my first post, i never said it changed anything, anyways its all good and we both made our points.cool
Re: Fire At Labaowo Market In Ibadan Destroys Property Worth Millions. by Walexz02(m): 5:07pm On Sep 06, 2012
shocked
Re: Fire At Labaowo Market In Ibadan Destroys Property Worth Millions. by 5alive(m): 5:29pm On Sep 06, 2012
Finally, dis we definitely affect d price of garri in this market
Re: Fire At Labaowo Market In Ibadan Destroys Property Worth Millions. by fatdon2(m): 9:38am On Sep 07, 2012
5alive: Finally, dis we definitely affect d price of garri in this market
cheesy
5alive: Finally, dis we definitely affect d price of garri in this market
Re: Fire At Labaowo Market In Ibadan Destroys Property Worth Millions. by abifoluwa: 4:17pm On Sep 07, 2012
damn this will affect the price of garri nd to the increase too, kai, our mission they go wrong o
Re: Fire At Labaowo Market In Ibadan Destroys Property Worth Millions. by sluch333: 8:17pm On Sep 07, 2012
So sad, What's the next step to rebuild the burnt market pls

(1) (Reply)

Aborted Babies Found In Garbage Bags (HORRIFIC PHOTO) / Rochas Okorocha May Win Apc Presidential Primaries. / Who Rocks It Better With The German Chancellor, GEJ Or PMB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.