Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,305 members, 7,836,330 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:08 AM

Hepatitis B - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Hepatitis B (1111 Views)

Hepatitis-B Kills Faster Than AIDS / My Nanny Has Hepatitis B / Hepatitis B (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hepatitis B by miteolu(m): 2:47pm On Sep 06, 2012
Causes, incidence, and risk factors

Hepatitis B infection can be spread through having contact with the blood, semen, vaginal fluids, and other body fluids of someone who already has a hepatitis B infection.

Infection can be spread through:

Blood transfusions
Direct contact with blood in health care settings
Sexual contact with an infected person
Tattoo or acupuncture with unclean needles or instruments
Shared needles during drug use
Shared personal items (such as toothbrushes, razors, and nail clippers) with an infected person
The hepatitis B virus can be passed to an infant during childbirth if the mother is infected.

Risk factors for hepatitis B infection include:

Being born, or having parents who were born in regions with high infection rates (including Asia, Africa, and the Caribbean)
Being infected with HIV
Being on hemodialysis
Having multiple sex partners
Men having sex with men

Most of the damage from the hepatitis B virus occurs because of the way the body responds to the infection. When the body's immune system detects the infection, it sends out special cells to fight it off. However, these disease-fighting cells can lead to liver inflammation.
Symptoms

After you first become infected with the hepatitis B virus:

You may have no symptoms
You may feel sick for a period of days or weeks
You may become very ill (called fulminant hepatitis)
If your body is able to fight off the hepatitis B infection, any symptoms that you had should go away over a period of weeks to months.
Some people's bodies are not able to completely get rid of the hepatitis B infection. This is called chronic hepatitis B.
Many people who have chronic hepatitis B have few or no symptoms. They may not even look sick. As a result, they may not know they are infected. However, they can still spread the virus to other people.

Symptoms may not appear for up to 6 months after the time of infection.

Early symptoms may include:
Appetite loss
Fatigue
Fever, low-grade
Muscle and joint aches
Nausea and vomiting
Yellow skin and dark urine due to jaundice
People with chronic hepatitis may have no symptoms, even though gradual liver damage may be occurring. Over time, some people may develop symptoms of chronic liver damage and cirrhosis of the liver.
Signs and tests

The following tests are done to identify and monitor liver damage from hepatitis B:
Albumin level
Liver function tests
Prothrombin time
The following tests are done to help diagnose and monitor people with hepatitis B:
Antibody to HBsAg (Anti-HBs) -- a positive result means you have either had hepatitis B in the past, or have received a hepatitis B vaccine
Antibody to hepatitis B core antigen (Anti-HBc) -- a positive result means you had a recent infection or an infection in the past
Hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg) -- a positive result means you have an active infection
Hepatitis E surface antigen (HBeAg) -- a positive result means you have a hepatitis B infection and are more likely to spread the infection to others through sexual contact or sharing needles

Patients with chronic hepatitis will need ongoing blood tests to monitor their status.

Treatment

Acute hepatitis needs no treatment other than careful monitoring of liver and other body functions with blood tests. You should get plenty of bed rest, drink plenty of fluids, and eat healthy foods.

In the rare case that you develop liver failure, you may need a liver transplant. A liver transplant is the only cure in some cases of liver failure.
some patients with chronic hepatitis may be treated with antiviral medications or a medication called peginterferon. These medications can decrease or remove hepatitis B from the blood and reduce the risk of cirrhosis and liver cancer.
Liver transplantation is used to treat severe, chronic hepatitis B liver disease.
Patients with chronic hepatitis should avoid alcohol and should always check with their doctor or nurse before taking any over-the-counter medications or herbal supplements. This even includes medications such as acetaminophen, aspirin, or ibuprofen.s B.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001324/

3 Likes

Re: Hepatitis B by chrispher1234: 1:08pm On May 02, 2015
(MUST READ: HOW I GOT CURED FROM HEPATITIS B)
I am from Imo state, I want to testify of how i got cured from hepatitis b, I got diagnosed of hepatitis b in 2013 I have visited several hospitals and herbalists but all to no avail, my world was gradually coming to an end until i saw a post in a health forum about a herbal spell caster from Ewu Edo state who casts herbal spells to cure all kind of deadly diseases including Hepatitis B, ALS, MND, Epilepsy, Leukemia, Asthma, Cancer, Ghonorhea etc, at first i doubted if it was real but decided to give it a try, when i contact this herbal spell caster via his email, he prepared a herbal spell portion and sent it to me via transport service, when i received this herbal spell portion, he gave me step by step instructions on how to use it, when i applied it as instructed, i was cured of this deadly disease within 3days, I am now fee from Hepatitis B. All thanks to Dr Aziza. Contact this great herbal spell caster via his email azizahealingtemple@gmail.com for cure to any kind of diseases. Goodluck
Re: Hepatitis B by Sunday66: 6:43pm On Feb 11, 2021
miteolu:
Causes, incidence, and risk factors

Hepatitis B infection can be spread through having contact with the blood, semen, vaginal fluids, and other body fluids of someone who already has a hepatitis B infection.

Infection can be spread through:

Blood transfusions
Direct contact with blood in health care settings
Sexual contact with an infected person
Tattoo or acupuncture with unclean needles or instruments
Shared needles during drug use
Shared personal items (such as toothbrushes, razors, and nail clippers) with an infected person
The hepatitis B virus can be passed to an infant during childbirth if the mother is infected.

Risk factors for hepatitis B infection include:

Being born, or having parents who were born in regions with high infection rates (including Asia, Africa, and the Caribbean)
Being infected with HIV
Being on hemodialysis
Having multiple sex partners
Men having sex with men

Most of the damage from the hepatitis B virus occurs because of the way the body responds to the infection. When the body's immune system detects the infection, it sends out special cells to fight it off. However, these disease-fighting cells can lead to liver inflammation.
Symptoms

After you first become infected with the hepatitis B virus:

You may have no symptoms
You may feel sick for a period of days or weeks
You may become very ill (called fulminant hepatitis)
If your body is able to fight off the hepatitis B infection, any symptoms that you had should go away over a period of weeks to months.
Some people's bodies are not able to completely get rid of the hepatitis B infection. This is called chronic hepatitis B.
Many people who have chronic hepatitis B have few or no symptoms. They may not even look sick. As a result, they may not know they are infected. However, they can still spread the virus to other people.

Symptoms may not appear for up to 6 months after the time of infection.

Early symptoms may include:
Appetite loss
Fatigue
Fever, low-grade
Muscle and joint aches
Nausea and vomiting
Yellow skin and dark urine due to jaundice
People with chronic hepatitis may have no symptoms, even though gradual liver damage may be occurring. Over time, some people may develop symptoms of chronic liver damage and cirrhosis of the liver.
Signs and tests

The following tests are done to identify and monitor liver damage from hepatitis B:
Albumin level
Liver function tests
Prothrombin time
The following tests are done to help diagnose and monitor people with hepatitis B:
Antibody to HBsAg (Anti-HBs) -- a positive result means you have either had hepatitis B in the past, or have received a hepatitis B vaccine
Antibody to hepatitis B core antigen (Anti-HBc) -- a positive result means you had a recent infection or an infection in the past
Hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg) -- a positive result means you have an active infection
Hepatitis E surface antigen (HBeAg) -- a positive result means you have a hepatitis B infection and are more likely to spread the infection to others through sexual contact or sharing needles

Patients with chronic hepatitis will need ongoing blood tests to monitor their status.

Treatment

Acute hepatitis needs no treatment other than careful monitoring of liver and other body functions with blood tests. You should get plenty of bed rest, drink plenty of fluids, and eat healthy foods.

In the rare case that you develop liver failure, you may need a liver transplant. A liver transplant is the only cure in some cases of liver failure.
some patients with chronic hepatitis may be treated with antiviral medications or a medication called peginterferon. These medications can decrease or remove hepatitis B from the blood and reduce the risk of cirrhosis and liver cancer.
Liver transplantation is used to treat severe, chronic hepatitis B liver disease.
Patients with chronic hepatitis should avoid alcohol and should always check with their doctor or nurse before taking any over-the-counter medications or herbal supplements. This even includes medications such as acetaminophen, aspirin, or ibuprofen.s B.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001324/

I know this an old post but please where can I get the test for (HBsAg (anti-hbs).
I have taken s there doses but want to be sure I'm immune against it. Thanks

I will be expecting ur urgent response
Re: Hepatitis B by miteolu(m): 9:36pm On Feb 11, 2021
Sunday66:

I know this an old post but please where can I get the test for (HBsAg (anti-hbs).
I have taken s there doses but want to be sure I'm immune against it. Thanks

I will be expecting ur urgent response

Dear,

I'm medical practitioner, the post was sent to that year for media broadcast. You will have to contact your doctor or visit nearest medical centre.

Thank you.

(1) (Reply)

The New Anti- Rapist Condon / Drugs For Stomach Ache And Pile / 25 Simple Things That Will Help You Live Longer in pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.