Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,164 members, 7,821,950 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:37 PM

What Do You Love About Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Do You Love About Nigeria? (4433 Views)

20 Things We Love About Abuja / What Do You Love About Other African Counties? / What do you love about Nigerians? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do You Love About Nigeria? by bagoma(f): 8:32pm On Jan 07, 2008
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT NIGERIA/NIGERIANS?

Just yesterday afternoon, My family friends (Nigerians living in the US who came home for the xmas holidays) came visiting and the lady said to us that while they were on the way over, her kid, a little girl of 4 kept pestering her over the impromptu visit. She kept asking her if it was alright by us if they came over, “mum did u call me to tell them we were coming?” “Mum, will they want see us” etc. the mum assured her and said it was alright.
“Darling this is Nigeria, she said. Family and friends can come and visit any time and they would be welcome.” my friend said her kid just couldn’t comprehend it.
So it got me thinking.

Nigerians are great people.
Nigeria is a great place to live in. Visitors and even Strangers can call on one unexpectedly and they can be sure to find help.
There are still some good things about this nation.
We are a hospitable people.
We care deeply about our old folks. We don’t just send them to homes and leave them to die. we stay with them till the very end.
Everyone knows his/her neighbour.( even to the end of your street). cheesy

Nigeria is not all about corruption, bad leadership, poor infrastructure, armed robbery and what have u? (These problems are there, sure enough) But we still have some good things to say about this country.

nigerians in diaspora, what do you miss about our country?

What are the things that we still have going for us as a nation, a people.

What do you love about this country?
come on lets share.

***note. this not a thread for dissing Nigeria.*** wink

1 Like

Re: What Do You Love About Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:43pm On Jan 07, 2008
I miss my grandmother . . . hot eba with ofe owerri spiced with bush meat.
I miss my friends . . . not "pals" as you have them here.
I miss the blue lines on NTA just before 4pm . . . today we have so much TV and video games that boys have forgotten how to be boys.
I miss garri, palm oil, ewa agoin.
I miss queueing for petrol . . . just another excuse not to go to work or school.
I miss church . . . here u cant clap, cant dance, cant yell at ur pastor.
Re: What Do You Love About Nigeria? by Dreloaded(f): 8:47pm On Jan 07, 2008
davidylan:

I miss church . . . here u can't clap, can't dance, can't yell at your pastor.

Someone hasnt been to an "akata" church before tongue

I miss my mother's family.

I also miss church, dont like the ones here.

I also miss watching football matches and being able to scream on the top of my lungs without the police banging at my door. tongue
Re: What Do You Love About Nigeria? by debosky(m): 8:54pm On Jan 07, 2008
D-reloaded:

I also miss watching football matches and being able to scream on the top of my lungs without the police banging at my door. tongue

Alariwo of Africa grin grin

I love dundun and boli at the night market junction

I miss eja shawa and ewa oloyin tongue

I miss my friends. . .who else can argue for hours and still be friends with me with no hard feelings?

I miss the sweet smell of rain. . .its just not the same.
Re: What Do You Love About Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:58pm On Jan 07, 2008
D-reloaded:

Kai you remind me of champions league football nights . . . in Jimeta . . . at the bar close to the hospital . . . sprite bottle in one hand, wraps of hot suya in the other, chanting with 100 other passionate souls as Thiery Henry scores another famous goal . . .

I miss shouting "up Nepa".
I miss grumbling my way to the well because water corporation has chosen to supply us air in our taps.
I miss Olu the mechanic . . . for N20 that fellow could work wonders on your brakes.
I miss complaining about bad roads.
I miss having to NOT pay egunje to the police.

This country is too good to be true. Give me some Naija madness!
Re: What Do You Love About Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:03pm On Jan 07, 2008
I miss puff puff
I really need to dance (ko mo le grin) in church.
I miss my mummy cry.
I miss my boyfriends grin cheesy and girlfriends

more to come
Re: What Do You Love About Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jan 07, 2008
I miss my friends. . .who else can argue for hours and still be friends with me with no hard feelings?

Abi oo.

I miss seeing my mummy dress up in gele and lace with her friends for a party. I miss all the jollof rice and better chicken (no be the one for here wey dey tasteless) she would pack for us. But I no miss the beatings sha oo
Re: What Do You Love About Nigeria? by Dreloaded(f): 9:11pm On Jan 07, 2008
I miss puff puff

Jo you can get/make that heartattack here, jare.  tongue
Re: What Do You Love About Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:14pm On Jan 07, 2008
Jo you can get/make that heartattack here, jare.

But e no sweet like mama Kokoro own. tongue
Re: What Do You Love About Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:16pm On Jan 07, 2008
I miss shouting and saying "waka" and "idiot" to the traders calling and trying to grab you at Ogbete market.

I miss those bacteria-laden mamaputs at those shacks and yelling at the smokers to blow their smokes away from me.

I miss watching the drag out fist fights at old park and watching the  bus conductors yell on top of their lungs for passengers.

I miss the "Ekene dili Chukwu" trips from the East to Lagos or North and the medicine "sales men" describing mechanism of action of drugs.
Re: What Do You Love About Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:25pm On Jan 07, 2008
I love Naija.
If things were a little bit more decent I'll be home in a flash.
I miss telling it like it is.
All this political correctness sometimes just bores me to death.
Re: What Do You Love About Nigeria? by quinofhart(f): 9:26pm On Jan 07, 2008
[center]what do i love about Nigeria?[/center]
Good question, if i had seen this topic a day ago i would have listed a whole lot of things.
Last nite i was on you tube and came across various vids by Nigerians , or are they? any way they called themselves Biafrans. Now i am no expert on the topic but they went on about hating the state that is Nigeria and wanting to be cut off and be recognised as a state in its own rights. Now i don't know how else to explain this but to use the analogy of when a child having known two parents all its life , loved them , identified with them , then  one day be told that they are not really his parents. that is how i feel right now, i feel like an illegitimate child and am now left utterly sad, shocked and confused about ''NIGERIA''  , why are we hell bent on self destruction in Africa, just look at Kenya now.

So what do i love about Nigeria?
@ poster quite frankly i don't know anymore cry cry cry

ps.
i used to love the blissful ignorance of a state of unity
Re: What Do You Love About Nigeria? by TheSly: 9:43pm On Jan 07, 2008
Ohh hoo hoo!. . . . . cheesy

I miss that eba mama fatimah! and her hard ass ponmo meat!(drollin'). . damn i was like 150km away from this woman. . and ill eat the meat from her spot to my room!. . . . cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

I miss akara mama tunde. . . tongue (actually i was warned not to eat it in the first place,she was based in another state from where i was stayin' but i later realised i was travellin to her state just to eat akara! . . tongue cheesy cheesy cheesy ) iya tunde don put somethin inside akara for me. . . !yey! i miss that woman! embarassed embarassed cry cry cry

ill be back! cool
Re: What Do You Love About Nigeria? by bagoma(f): 10:05pm On Jan 07, 2008
lol cheesy cheesy cheesy

what about the hustling and bustling around christmas time?
maza maza, jibowu etc becomes a no-go area from the 15th of dec till 31st as evryone is rushing to d village.
Re: What Do You Love About Nigeria? by oldie(m): 10:44pm On Jan 07, 2008
Thats why some of us will stay here grin
You guys don't know what you are missing
It could be frustrating sometimes, but where isn't?
I love this country despite all the short comings!
Re: What Do You Love About Nigeria? by IykeD1(m): 11:45pm On Jan 07, 2008
Just the food and old friends. Other than that, the country is a basket case.
Re: What Do You Love About Nigeria? by Bhola(f): 12:00am On Jan 08, 2008
I do not have "missing" emotions. I don't miss anything or people.

What I love about Nigeria? Hmmm, thinking, still thinking. Ok, I got it, abso-freaking-lutely nothing.
Re: What Do You Love About Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:08am On Jan 08, 2008
Bhola:

I do not have "missing" emotions. I don't miss anything or people.

What I love about Nigeria? Hmmm, thinking, still thinking. Ok, I got it, abso-freaking-lutely nothing.

kpele
Re: What Do You Love About Nigeria? by Bhola(f): 12:11am On Jan 08, 2008
nwando:

kpele

Ose!
Re: What Do You Love About Nigeria? by hollandis(f): 12:19am On Jan 08, 2008
I miss church services
I miss tuesday's gurdian
I miss the mosque near my house my dependable alarm
I miss news line
I miss Amala and Ewedu from iya shukuraembarassed cry
I miss the men in black
Re: What Do You Love About Nigeria? by ell77(f): 12:20am On Jan 08, 2008
Simple - i miss the people!
Re: What Do You Love About Nigeria? by Iman3(m): 12:30am On Jan 08, 2008
Apart from my parents and a few friends. . . . . . .what do I miss? undecided

Maybe its because I pop into Nigeria fairly often.When you stay here for a while,you start to feel homesick,when you get to Naija,you are reminded why you left.

Ok,I miss being able to screech down the Onitsha/Enugu Expressway trying to break my speed record! embarassed Did Enugu Airport to Awka in 15mins back in August! embarassed

I miss the sunshine

My favorite joint-Dr Suya PHD(Seriously,that is the inscription at this suya joint)

Piooo water. . . . .the water was never pure

I miss Manuwa,Lady Ibiam and Adelabu(female hostels at UNEC) embarassed embarassed

Yogurt from those bicycle ice cream vendors when the sun is too hot.

I'm struggling to find things I really miss undecided
Re: What Do You Love About Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:32am On Jan 08, 2008
I-man:

Apart from my parents and a few friends. . . . . . .what do I miss? undecided

Maybe its because I pop into Nigeria fairly often.When you stay here for a while,you start to feel homesick,when you get to Naija,you are reminded why you left.

Ok,I miss being able to screech down the Onitsha/Enugu Expressway trying to break my speed record! embarassed Did Enugu Airport to Awka in 15mins back in August! embarassed

I miss the sunshine

My favorite joint-Dr Suya PHD(Seriously,that is the inscription at this suya joint)

Piooo water. . . . .the water was never pure

[b]I miss Manuwa,Lady Ibiam and Adelabu(female hostels at UNEC) embarassed embarassed[/b]Yogurt from those bicycle ice cream vendors when the sun is too hot.

I'm struggling to find things I really miss undecided

bad boy.
how about the bushmeats from IMT grin
Re: What Do You Love About Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:35am On Jan 08, 2008
I -man was the suya PHD at Asata somewhere not too far from the corner of Zik Avenue near the stadium?it's been a while
It was only God that saved me from tape worm in the hands of those mallams
Re: What Do You Love About Nigeria? by Iman3(m): 1:10am On Jan 08, 2008
nwando:

I -man was the suya PHD at Asata somewhere not too far from the corner of Zik Avenue near the stadium?it's been a while
It was only God that saved me from tape worm in the hands of those mallams

Na dat one. . . .I still dey suffer stomach aches because of them.I even had gastro-intestinal bleeding because of a bug I strongly believe I got from the suya sad It took 3 years,1 blood transfusion and admission at ICU to recover from the suya
Re: What Do You Love About Nigeria? by Dreloaded(f): 1:26am On Jan 08, 2008
what is with you people missing burka food in Nigeria?

Do you not have family? How is burka food better than your family's? sheesh
Re: What Do You Love About Nigeria? by Iman3(m): 1:31am On Jan 08, 2008
@D-reloaded

Never mind them.That is what makes them bad family men.If you don't prefer your family food,you might not prefer your wife's.
Re: What Do You Love About Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:56am On Jan 08, 2008
I guess what i miss most about Nigeria has been the opportunity to spend entire hrs discussing politics, the latest soccer news and women!
Re: What Do You Love About Nigeria? by Freewilly(f): 2:31am On Jan 08, 2008
I think I miss Mango and pineapples the most, the one we have at the grocery stores over here theist like it was boiled in hot water.
Re: What Do You Love About Nigeria? by EmekaNaija(m): 4:46am On Jan 08, 2008
What i love most about Nigeria- to be specific Lagos - is the order in disorderliness, the sense in madness, and the light in darkness, the smiles in the midst of suffering, the never say die attitude, our siren blarring government officials. It makes a good comedy to stand at a bus-stop at costain - and watch Wharf,Eko-race course chants from conductors and watching a bus in motion getting filled up by hussling passengers. I sincerely "miss" that. Someone should record the scene and post on Youtube.

I miss the village, hanging around the corner at night (you know) because light no dey. The yam burger in Surulere and whats the name of that ewa with red oil.Shei, i don die!

Above all i miss Iya Basira!
Re: What Do You Love About Nigeria? by almondjoy(f): 8:19am On Jan 08, 2008
I miss only my "O" and "A" levels in Yaba, university, and youth service days only!Especially G-R-E-A-T You-N-I-B-E-N cry  Chicks and Guys buka by Faculty of Law.

The best years of my life!!! kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss

Right now, nothing much to love.  I just use it as a getaway spot from my hectic lifestyle  to see ma parents, or as a transit joint with Emirate Airlines on my way to Dubai!!!

I do not miss Nigerian anymore----not since 1998!!!!!  I have a new home now. kiss
Re: What Do You Love About Nigeria? by ndubest(m): 9:14am On Jan 08, 2008
ooohhhhhh nigeria

I miss the free readers club, where people argue about government policies and football

I miss BELLOSHIP, AWOSHIP, EYOTIASHIP (female hostels in UNN) cheesy cheesy cheesy

I miss student union congress, where aluta is the word morning till night cheesy cheesy cheesy

we are blessed my people

(1) (2) (Reply)

U.S., Homosexuality, And The Hypocrisy Of Nigerians! / Presidency Replies Allegation That Osinbajo Appoints Yorubas, RCCG Members / Why Are My Soldiers Leaving, It Smells Like 66 Not 67

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.