Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,267 members, 7,839,348 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:22 PM

Money Politics: Is It Because The Season Is Wet Or Because The Purse Is Dry? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Money Politics: Is It Because The Season Is Wet Or Because The Purse Is Dry? (478 Views)

Policeman Returns Woman's Purse With N200million / Buhari’s Emergence End Money Politics In Nigeria / 2011: Jonathan Warns Against Money Politics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Money Politics: Is It Because The Season Is Wet Or Because The Purse Is Dry? by Nobody: 11:11am On Sep 08, 2012
So yesterday, I rode a tricycle from Milverton around the Main Park in Aba to Ogbo hill. On the way, I started a discussion about the condition of the roads in Aba with my driver. The man was a good-natured cynic.

I gathered that on a daily basis, every operator in the "trike" transport biz had to pay at least 180 naira to run the streets of Aba. 60% of that sum was tagged infrastructural levy. My wonder was, "infrastructure? Does that not mean roads among other necessities for a business-enabling environment?" If you have visited Aba in recent months then you know that I had reason to wonder.

My driver reeled off name after name of roads and streets that dilapidation had rendered practically impassable for mechanized transport. I myself knew of Ukaegbu, Umuola, Ehere, nasty areas at Eziukwu. He named portions of Port Harcourt road, Azikiwe, Ngwa Road, Obohia that I had some knowledge of, Ehi road by Shopping Centre that I knew too and a bunch of others.

Granted, it's the rainy season. But does this season not come every year? Are there years that we do not see large amounts of precipitation? I don't think so. That means it's a factor that is more or less constant and trustworthy. It is curious that successive governments hinge their excuses on a factor that is about as constant as the twenty four hours that make up each day.

Is it impossible to find capable construction firms that can provide for the wetness during the period of their work? Or is it impossible to regularize the government's yearly activities to accommodate work on roads in time for the rains?

Is it that there's no money? Going by the numbers that all trikes display so boldly at their backs and fronts that I'm given to understand are serial numbers, there are about fifteen thousand (15 000!) trikes in operation about Aba metropolis. If each pays 100 naira toward infrastructure daily, how the blazes can there be no money? I haven't even spoken of residences. Landlords are required to pay the same infrastructure levy on all their properties as are shop owners etc.

Are their better informed nairalanders that can explain this contradiction to us?
Re: Money Politics: Is It Because The Season Is Wet Or Because The Purse Is Dry? by OAM4J: 12:42pm On Sep 08, 2012

(1) (Reply)

British Trust Fund Accused Of Financing Boko Haram / Reclaiming Bakassi Peninsula / Nigerian Prof Makes History As 1st Black Provost/VC Of University Of Illionis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.