Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,961 members, 7,952,869 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 06:14 AM

Positioning Yourself For The Next Big Nigerian Business -The Power Industry - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Positioning Yourself For The Next Big Nigerian Business -The Power Industry (2424 Views)

Fqas For FRESH Graduates Seeking Career In Power Industry. / Is Power Privatisation And Power Industry The Next Big Thing In Nigeria / What Work Can I Do For A Nigerian Business/company From U.k (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Positioning Yourself For The Next Big Nigerian Business -The Power Industry by esere826: 11:21am On Sep 08, 2012
Hi all,

Through the conscious parts my life, I have observed trends that churned out the next wave of solid sustainable millionaires. Are you positioned for the next?

1) During the dying days of the military regime, with a toroughly demotivated, ethically r.aped and almost none existent middle class, young men took to internet scam. Big and silly money was made. Then we had the Fred Ajuduas and many more who today sit pretty in political positions

2) Following closely, came the banking deregulation in Nigeria. Young men invested in the banking sector (I'm not talking about the stock market here), we soon had the Tony Elumelus et al with their private jets as outputs. Others got employed in the banking sector and became the future ED's

3)Then there was the prosperity gospel churning out multi-rich and globally 'encore-d' pastors. Careers and contacts were built around these ministries

4)Nollywood came closely on its heels. We soon had the Stella Damascus, RMD etc

5) The democratization of the Nigerian 'nation' birthed new millionaires from no where. While many established names were weary of past promises and failures to keep to the democratization promises by the military. Some 'youths' with nothing to loose plunged into politics and became the new kids on the block

6)Then came telecommunications/technology. The 'egbon' benefeciaries in this wave were foreigners for example MTN. Nigerian youths however got oppurtunities to up their careers in such firms

7)As these industries were getting closed to new entrants, the Nigerian music industry was born. It has been a resounding success with the likes of Psquare and D'banj

7) The next wave is fast approaching: The power industry
How prepared are you for this?

-Yeah, you don't have money for investment. But I hope that you realise that they will need to employ people??
-Have you positioned yourself to become one of the big shots in the industry? Do I hear you asking me how?

1 Like

Re: Positioning Yourself For The Next Big Nigerian Business -The Power Industry by esere826: 11:11am On Sep 09, 2012
2)
I do not know how the Power industry would look like, but if I were interested in having a career there, I could probably do many things, ..so many things to get in.

-I would first seek to get all the names of the companies that are bidding in our power sector and write them down in my notepad
-I would then research all the companies using google
-I could then research other big companies delivering electricity around the world. Companies like EDF
-I could go further by researching power companies that operate in environments like ours ,ie developing countries
-I could the look at these companies job sections to get a feel of the kind of jobs that they offer. I could even research using linkedin to see the profile of their staff that matches closely to my profile

-If na me, I'm sure I'll try making contacts with these companies even now. I'll work at getting past the gate keepers or administrators. That is leave a lasting impression on their minds using personal telephone and email contacts to the 'right' people.
-If na me, I might save these email correspondence to attach to my job applications when the power companies come on stream in nigeria
-If na me, I might decide to try getting some little work experience in power companies presently available only outside Nigeria (this is a clincher)

-If na me I would try aligning my present degrees to the power sector and also try to be a cut above the future competition

So many ways to position yourself

1 Like

Re: Positioning Yourself For The Next Big Nigerian Business -The Power Industry by esere826: 7:49am On Sep 13, 2012
3) But wait a minute.....
If you're following this thread, you might do well to read some of my earlier posts (I'll post links to the specific ones later). The reason being that some of my threads give tips on how to caliberate your mind etc. The 'thinking pattern' is actually the engine beneath the bonnet that ensures that you are flexible and succesful in positioning yourself.

Otherwise, following my advice in a strait jacket way might be prescriptive and almost undoable. What do I mean? [**wow, it's really tough trying to put these things into words in a limited space**]

Let's try ...
-You would agree with me that it would be tough for someone who presently has no job to start planning some 1 to 2 years in advance for a job. This would take 'faith' that's bigger that Olumo rock
- But you would also agree with me that the same job seeker might end up sitting at home for more that 2 years without a job even without planning
-The job seeker could make grandiose plan to position herself for the power sector job, and at the end of the day, this would not materialize, or she gets into another caareer path.

Are you getting my picture?
[i'll continue trying to explain later .....................
Re: Positioning Yourself For The Next Big Nigerian Business -The Power Industry by AjanleKoko: 10:56am On Sep 13, 2012
Won't you even let the industry start first?
Re: Positioning Yourself For The Next Big Nigerian Business -The Power Industry by esere826: 8:56pm On Sep 13, 2012
AjanleKoko: Won't you even let the industry start first?

Lol.
Re: Positioning Yourself For The Next Big Nigerian Business -The Power Industry by megainvest: 4:36am On Sep 15, 2012
OP is right. It's not too early to position yourself. If you want to make it big in the industry, now is the right time to strategize. That is foresight at work. Unfortunately, so many Nigerians don't have it.

The power sector holds enormous potentials. The next set of big shots will definitely have something to do with power. Personally, I'm more interested in investing in the sector rather than being employed in it. Any ideas on what opportunities I can harness or perhaps create?
Re: Positioning Yourself For The Next Big Nigerian Business -The Power Industry by esere826: 1:26pm On Sep 15, 2012
@megainvest

thanks for your contribution
Re: Positioning Yourself For The Next Big Nigerian Business -The Power Industry by abrakhigbe: 3:50pm On Sep 15, 2012
nice one.what are the chances for small scale investors in this new power sectors.
Re: Positioning Yourself For The Next Big Nigerian Business -The Power Industry by esere826: 6:41am On Sep 17, 2012
abrakhigbe: nice one.what are the chances for small scale investors in this new power sectors.
The chances are definitely limitless. Locating the exact opportunities is what would need a lot of thinking.

If you have graduate caliber management cadre friends in PHCN, you could ensure that you're always around them for insights
Re: Positioning Yourself For The Next Big Nigerian Business -The Power Industry by vizion: 10:08am On Sep 30, 2012
AjanleKoko: Won't you even let the industry start first?

the probelm with most people, they don't plan for their future, and when the future arrives, they want to eat equally as those others that are reaping the benefits of their well laid down plans
Re: Positioning Yourself For The Next Big Nigerian Business -The Power Industry by Nobody: 9:09pm On Oct 02, 2012
Nice one. What chances are there for undergraduates?
Re: Positioning Yourself For The Next Big Nigerian Business -The Power Industry by esere826: 4:48am On Oct 03, 2012
zameen: Nice one. What chances are there for undergraduates?

I suspect that if an undergraduate aligns herself to this sector through either a primary univeristy degree (such as engineering), work experience or certifications/seminars pointing towards the industry, her CV will be more conspicuous to the recruiters.

following from this, someone that studied HR as a first degree and then goes on to have a work experience in something like NEPA in Nigeria; or EDF energy (global location); or a certification like project management and maybe 'HR considerations in Powers sector' certification (hypothetical) should be more competitively placed
Re: Positioning Yourself For The Next Big Nigerian Business -The Power Industry by esere826: 11:36am On Dec 15, 2012
Just as I predicted recruitment has begun in the power industry
see nextworldnx post
https://www.nairaland.com/1133269/massive-recruitment-geometric-power-nigeria
Re: Positioning Yourself For The Next Big Nigerian Business -The Power Industry by esere826: 11:46am On Dec 15, 2012
^^^
This futher reinforces my belief that an ability to predict the future accurately
positions you for success

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Score Cards For Banks In Nigeria / See How Africa Is Portrayed On Linkedin / The Path To Becoming A Structural Engineer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.