Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,244 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:39 AM

Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States (23693 Views)

Just In: Herdsmen Demand 1 Million Naira For Oba Obademi’s Release / Jonathan Vs Buhari: How They Stand In 36 States, FCT - VANGUARD / Jonathan Vs Buhari: How They Stand In 36 States, FCT - PUNCH (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by 100Whykay(m): 11:55am On Sep 11, 2012
Kwara state on my mind.
The ancient people of Kwara state thought they were only been nice and patriotic by allowing just one Fulani man to graze on their land not knowing that their guest has other motives.
Truth is: Allow just one Fulani man on your property and u'd be surprise that he will invite others without even seeking your permission on the same property. They may even claim the property later in the future if care isn't taken.
Nobody can chase then out of Kara(after berger b/stop) today, not the indigines, not even government. Once you allow them graze your land, they are ever ready to spill blood just to claim same property.
I sincerely belief these herdsmen need not travel down south to rear their animals. There's enough land in the north for that... Grass isn't magic, they grow it.. If they can't grow grass, let them pay those that can.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by Dede1(m): 2:02pm On Sep 11, 2012
Where does the “State of Origin” factor in this useless thread? Or have Fulani suddenly drawn blank on the fact that everything in Nigeria starts with State of Origin?
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by Sagamite(m): 2:02pm On Sep 11, 2012
namfav: will it be possible to own a house with no land? land is one thing which is shared no one person has possession of the vast land, you will talk but it is not your own land

So since it is not possible to own a house without land, and the land is owned by Allah, then deductively, you don't own the house since you don't own the land it is on?

Secondly, what philosophy did you use to arrive at the conclusion it is okay to own a house but not own a land?
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by nduchucks: 2:14pm On Sep 11, 2012
Dede1: Where does the “State of Origin” factor in this useless thread? Or have Fulani suddenly drawn blank on the fact that everything in Nigeria starts with State of Origin?

First of all, let me inform you that "State of Origin" may be replaced by "State of Residence" on all official data collecting forms after the constitution review committee completes its duty. Secondly, what does this have to do with finding solutions to the problems described in this thread. What mischief are you up to now, with your question?
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by Dede1(m): 2:34pm On Sep 11, 2012
ndu_chucks:

First of all, let me inform you that "State of Origin" may be replaced by "State of Residence" on all official data collecting forms after the constitution review committee completes its duty. Secondly, what does this have to do with finding solutions to the problems described in this thread. What mischief are you up to now, with your question?

Until the State of Origin is no longer fashionable in Nigeria’s socio-politico-economic life, Fulani herdsmen should look toward their State of Origin for land to graze. Ordinary entrance, not even on scholarship, into a school of higher learning in Nigeria rigidly requires satisfactory scrutiny of State of Origin. Yet when the kids graduate from university, they are required to serve the states which had rejected them under the idiotic auspices of National Youth Service. Nigeria is a jerk.

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by Dede1(m): 2:44pm On Sep 11, 2012
Tomato, Onion and Yam farmers in the northern region of Nigeria should equally go to federal government to demand land from all the 36 states so as to grow tomato, onion and yam. I guess the kolanut farmers should demand the wasteful acreage of land from northern region of Nigeria for growing kolanut.

The Fulnai herdsmen should raise their cows in their State of Origin and transport their product through road or rail to various markets in southern Nigeria. State governments should stop the idiotic idea of allowing cows to roam through their territories.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by nduchucks: 3:14pm On Sep 11, 2012
Dede1: Tomato, Onion and Yam farmers in the northern region of Nigeria should equally go to federal government to demand land from all the 36 states so as to grow tomato, onion and yam. I guess the kolanut farmers should demand the wasteful acreage of land from northern region of Nigeria for growing kolanut.

The Fulnai herdsmen should raise their cows in their State of Origin and transport their product through road or rail to various markets in southern Nigeria. State governments should stop the idiotic idea of allowing cows to roam through their territories.

Stop pretending, I know you see the big picture. Stop hating.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by nduchucks: 3:26pm On Sep 11, 2012
May I also inform some of the people who are opposed to grazing reserves, that the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Water Resources, Nigeria has already officially demarcated 4125 grazing reserves or routes. Out of this number, only one third is put in use, whereas 270 grazing reserves have been put into cultivation.

In order to curb farmers-pastoralists’ clashes, the federal government in September 2009 carried out demarcation of a grazing route running through the central states of Nasarawa, Benue and Plateau. Other grazing routes also marked out and demarcated were started across Katsina and Bauchi States, spanning across Abuja.

Further grazing routes were also demarcated from Sokoto in the Northwest to Oyo State in the Southwest as well as another 2,000km grazing route from Adamawa State in the Northeast to Calabar in the Niger Delta (UN-IRIN,2009).

It is not enough to demarcatethese reserves on paper, these officials need to spend a chunk of theor N78billion budget to put them in use.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by tpia5: 4:23pm On Sep 11, 2012
is this request based on the recent announcement by the nigerian govt that anyone can claim any state in nigeria?

if so, i think other west african countries should also offer land to help ease the situation.

after all, we are one.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by revomind(m): 4:51pm On Sep 11, 2012
ndu_chucks: May I also inform some of the people who are opposed to grazing reserves, that the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Water Resources, Nigeria has already officially demarcated 4125 grazing reserves or routes. Out of this number, only one third is put in use, whereas 270 grazing reserves have been put into cultivation.

In order to curb farmers-pastoralists’ clashes, the federal government in September 2009 carried out demarcation of a grazing route running through the central states of Nasarawa, Benue and Plateau. Other grazing routes also marked out and demarcated were started across Katsina and Bauchi States, spanning across Abuja.

Further grazing routes were also demarcated from Sokoto in the Northwest to Oyo State in the Southwest as well as another 2,000km grazing route from Adamawa State in the Northeast to Calabar in the Niger Delta (UN-IRIN,2009).

It is not enough to demarcatethese reserves on paper, these officials need to spend a chunk of theor N78billion budget to put them in use.

Co-incidence that this happened under Yar'Adua (a fulani man)? Or am I missing something?
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by Malawian(m): 5:27pm On Sep 11, 2012
Why are the grazing routes not in sokoto, kano and borno? What are they doing in benue, plataeu and nasarawa? Are those areas fulani land? No by force? I saw i no wan see cows for my lnd. Haba. Wen we don roast those cows use am do burial for alaigbo, dem go get sense.

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:20pm On Sep 11, 2012
Sagamite:

[size=32pt]you still have the Masai taking their cattle to graze next to Elephants[/size]. Cows can graze next to cement factories or mining areas.

The West have provided a similar provision for Travelling Gypsies with caravan camps to accommodate their way of life. Obviously if anyone is killing others they deserve to die but a good solution can reduce that risk.

[img]http://2.bp..com/-afr-gp6eyl4/T7g2V9frYSI/AAAAAAAAAD0/euyFox0xZnA/s1600/maasai_1209462c.jpg[/img]
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by rhymz(m): 8:17pm On Sep 11, 2012
I am more worried by the false sense of entitlement with which these Northerners make irrational demands and fictitious claims.
As much as the very useless Land act tries so much to put the ownership of Land in the hands of state and local governments, we all know that is not a reflection of the reality on ground in practice. Ownership of Land in Nigeria though it varies with states, culture and tribe largely rests in the hands of the people and communities indigenous to it. No government can take away my father's Land from me without any compensation, I will fight with the last drop of my blood if it comes to that.
Ordinarily, one would have suggested that the fulani Elites who are actually the owners of these cattles negotiate with peoples and communities from these different 36 states to secure large expanse of land for the grazing of their cattle and whatever it is they want to do with their nomadic brothers on lease based on agreed terms, afterall, in the East, it is common practice for people or communities to lease their lands to farmers to use for a period of time based on an arrangement after which it reverts to the owners. However, bad examples in the Middle belt and countries like Sudan have shown that it is a very dangerous venture that will only worsen the problem in the long run.
Besides, from the tone of the demand and the fictitious 12million people claims, it is too obvious to see that they are requesting for a land grab through the FG that will automatically give them rights to fight and maim indigens of these 36 states in future. For now it seems like the problem is getting these nomads defined grazing land is all there is to the problem but in future an even bigger problem would have been created when the clashes and lawsuits start filing. For one, it is easy to talk about defined areas used as reserve but in reality animals do not know boundries they will inadvertently encroach on other people's means of livelyhood and trouble will ensue, giving the confrontational attitude of the Fulani even when he is in the wrong, it will escalate.
What happens if the problem shifts from grazing to attitudinal difference that causes intolerance.
No Igbo man or community will freely give his land to the government only for it to be given to the Fulanis for their own private business concerns. Not when there are more Igbos in the north who do businesses with more strategic importance to the economy in the north that pay for the cost of doing business including the space they use for their business centres. It is a shame that the land use act is useless to its purpose as it fails to recognize that ownership of land is indigenous to the community that occupies it and not some dumb head politician occupying government. Forceful ownership and grab will not suffice in this case, it will rather lead to an even bigger problem.
The best solution is for the Fulanis to adopt change and realize that the era for normadic vagabond styled farming is long overdue. I doubt if the whole normadic Fulani cattle rearers have more cattle than the cow boys in the state of Texa who use intensive farming methods to rear their cattle in ranches. Normadic style is primitive and problematic, it is not even efficient either. Whatever help they deserve should not be in the form of feeding their false sense of entitlement through granting them Free land in states they do business and should pay for the cost of doing business. If they can't change then they need to be forcefully stopped.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by sayitout1: 4:10pm On Sep 15, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

[size=16pt]THE FULANIS ARE MUCH MORE MORE THAN MERE HERDERS! THEY LOVE THEIR ANIMALS! THEIR ANIMALS ARE LIKE THEIR FAMILY. THEY DONT BELIEVE IN CAGING ANIMALS AND SUCKING THEM DRY FOR SELFISH HUMAN USE! THEY BELIEVE IN FREE ANIMALS AND HERDER! ITS THE SAME WITH THE TOUAREG.THEY ARE SIMPLE PEOPLES AND ARE NOT JUST CONCERNED WITH MONEY, ASLONG AS THEY HAVE FOOD AND BASIC CLOTHING, THEY ARE HAPPY. YOU ARE NOT A HERDER SO YOU WONT UNDERSTAND THE SACRED BOND BETWEEN MAN & ANIMAL. YOU ARE JUST ANOTHER SELFISH CUSTOMER IN A SEA OF CUSTOMERS WHO USE ANIMAL PRODUCTS BUT NEVER THINK ABOUT THE POOR SOULS WHO SACRIFICE THEMSELVES TO FILL YOUR STOMACH![/size] angry angry angry angry angry angry

Who is this fulani spoke man?

Whose business is it to give them free access to other peoples properties?

Are the live stock offered or brought to the market for free?

That's how they migrate into other lands and end up causing problems.

There is nothing wrong with you giving them the right or C of O (certificate of occupancy) of your community since you understand better what it means making a good family with malu.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by blaqoracle: 7:00pm On Oct 18, 2012
Moukafoam:

I believe that u r sick. Maybe na cow you go tke bury ur family! mumu!
the true meaning of igbo, from history, is slave; cannibal, or primitive people. i Wonder Why Someone Would Be Proud to say he is igbo.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by chiedu7: 11:49am On Apr 12, 2015
blaqoracle:
the true meaning of igbo, from history, is slave; cannibal, or primitive people. i Wonder Why Someone Would Be Proud to say he is igbo.

[size=14pt]SEE THIS UNEDUCATED NORMAD TALKING[/size]

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Aso Villa End Of Year Service In Pictures / Fayemi: "Fayose Is A Mad Dog & Fraudster, Election Fire Will Consume Him" / Enugu State Commissioner Of Police Removed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.