Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,069 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:52 AM

Serena Williams Wins Her 15th Grand Slam At The 2012 US Open - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Serena Williams Wins Her 15th Grand Slam At The 2012 US Open (5412 Views)

Serena Williams Wins Her Sixth Wimbledon Title / Serena Williams Wins 18th Grand Slam Title / Serena Williams Wins Fifth Wimbledon Singles Title (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Serena Williams Wins Her 15th Grand Slam At The 2012 US Open by omodapson(m): 12:27am On Sep 10, 2012

[img]https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/815389_Us-Open-Day-14-Serena-Williams5_2826161_jpg4a842503467d3dc2d866c344a6713e83[/img]

Serena Williams showed incredible resolve to outlast Victoria Azarenka and secure her fourth US Open title.

The 30-year-old lifted her 15th Grand Slam singles crown - and fourth in New York - with a 6-2 2-6 7-5 win in 138 minutes on Arthur Ashe Stadium.

World number one Azarenka served for the match, but Williams broke in a run of four ruthless games to triumph.

She became the first player aged over 30 to win the US Open women's singles since Martina Navratilova in 1987.

"I honestly can't believe I won," said the American. "I was preparing my runner-up speech because she was playing so great."

Azarenka wept into a towel at the end as her dream of becoming the first Belarusian to win the US Open ended in agonising fashion.

"It's tough but Serena deserves to win," said the 23-year-old. "She showed what a true champion she is.

"I'm honoured to stand with such a true champion here. I definitely gave it my all today, stepping out of this court I have no regrets."

It was a dramatic end to an captivating encounter that suggests Williams remains the leading player in women's tennis and further cements her place among the legends of the sport.

The win comes 13 years after her first US Open title in 1999 - the biggest span of success by a female singles player in the Open era.

She is the fifth woman in the Open era to triumph four times in New York and now has a 15-4 win-loss record from her 19 major finals.

The result looked a formality as Williams blasted her way through the 34-minute first set with two breaks of serve.

An inch-perfect lob in game two drew applause from Azarenka, while a series of brutal winners in game eight epitomised her dominance.

Having come from a set down to beat Maria Sharapova in the semi-finals, Azarenka knew she was capable of mounting a fightback.

Hope arrived with a Williams double-fault early in set two, and the American was further distracted by a foot fault in game three.

Azarenka had captured the momentum and she struck again for a 4-1 lead before comfortably levelling the contest.

It was the first US Open women's final to go the distance since 1995 and breaks were exchanged in a nervy start to the decider.

Azarenka made what seemed a decisive move when she punished an error-strewn Williams in game seven and held for 5-3.

The crowd noise rose to deafening levels and it had contrasting effects - Williams growing in belief, Azarenka wilting.

Williams produced a crunching forehand winner to put the set back on serve, levelled and then broke again when Azarenka netted.

A flurry of ferocious serves moved the home favourite to within a game of glory, and she was able to celebrate when Azarenka fired long.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/19528696

She defeated Victoria Azarenka 6-2, 2-6, 7-5 to claim the grand prize. The match is one of the most spectacular matches of the tournament. The victory also edges Serena closer to the leader board of most grand slam wins needing 7 more to match Steffi Graff records.

She is a great player if you ask me.
Re: Serena Williams Wins Her 15th Grand Slam At The 2012 US Open by floriana(m): 12:35am On Sep 10, 2012
Serena Williams was great though Azarenka was my choice player for this match. Serena lost her nerves and left many of her supporters despondent at some points. But she finally won. And $1.9M is huge too.

1 Like

Re: Serena Williams Wins Her 15th Grand Slam At The 2012 US Open by omodapson(m): 12:38am On Sep 10, 2012
floriana: Serena Williams was great though Azarenka was my choice player for this match. Serena lost her nerves and left many of her supporters despondent at some points. But she finally won. And $1.9M is huge too.

I guess Azarenka lacked mental strength when she needed it most. She had the championship right before her but she let it slipped.
Re: Serena Williams Wins Her 15th Grand Slam At The 2012 US Open by justwise(m): 9:43am On Sep 10, 2012
It was a great game, painful to watch as Serena's fan, i saw her losing the game and could not watch until when it was 5-6 to Serena.
Re: Serena Williams Wins Her 15th Grand Slam At The 2012 US Open by Nobody: 9:44am On Sep 10, 2012
She sure is a great player.

1 Like

Re: Serena Williams Wins Her 15th Grand Slam At The 2012 US Open by Debroslink: 9:48am On Sep 10, 2012
I FEEL FOR AZARENKA. I REALLY WANTED HER TO WIN THE FINAL, BUT SERENA PROVED TOO STRONG.
Re: Serena Williams Wins Her 15th Grand Slam At The 2012 US Open by Mybettingtips(m): 9:54am On Sep 10, 2012
WOW!!!.... And she will be 31 years old on september 26th.. A good birthday gift..she wil use d cup to drink champagne and hennessy

1 Like

Re: Serena Williams Wins Her 15th Grand Slam At The 2012 US Open by DonHummer(m): 9:59am On Sep 10, 2012
I love dis williams sisters wen dey play...nt cos of deir style of play...bt deir micro mini skirts...
Re: Serena Williams Wins Her 15th Grand Slam At The 2012 US Open by megxo(m): 10:00am On Sep 10, 2012
SERENA>>>>>>>.A TRUE CHAMP U ARE.....CHEERS.............
Re: Serena Williams Wins Her 15th Grand Slam At The 2012 US Open by princemol: 10:01am On Sep 10, 2012
justwise: It was a great game, painful to watch as Serena's fan, i saw her losing the game and could not watch until when it was 5-6 to Serena.
I was scared too had to switch off d TV at some point buh I'm glad she bounced back as a true champion she is known for. Am really happy 4 her.
Re: Serena Williams Wins Her 15th Grand Slam At The 2012 US Open by justwise(m): 10:06am On Sep 10, 2012
princemol: I was scared too had to switch off d TV at some point buh I'm glad she bounced back as a true champion she is known for. Am really happy 4 her.

After first set when she seems to be running away with it, i was relaxed, then Azerenka came back fighting like a wounded lion and things changed, i could not watch, i turned the volume to zero because i don't even want to hear the commentators suggesting that the game is over for Serena grin grin

I keep refreshing BBC text update to see the scoreline, when i saw 5-6 to Serena i managed to watch again and wow!!!!!
Re: Serena Williams Wins Her 15th Grand Slam At The 2012 US Open by DeGrace01(m): 10:07am On Sep 10, 2012
My Sister on the news again, Serena u are one in a million. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! U make me happy again. Lol.......
Re: Serena Williams Wins Her 15th Grand Slam At The 2012 US Open by Odinaka00(m): 10:12am On Sep 10, 2012
I love that lady so much, she s too sexy, expecially wen she s playing wit those mini skirts lol....for real I love dat lady
Re: Serena Williams Wins Her 15th Grand Slam At The 2012 US Open by Afam4eva(m): 10:21am On Sep 10, 2012
Serena Williams can't just stop winning. When you think she's about to bid the game Farewell she wins something new. She's probably the best female tennis player for over 15 years now.
Re: Serena Williams Wins Her 15th Grand Slam At The 2012 US Open by wandeay: 11:20am On Sep 10, 2012
30? whoopss!! No husband!
Re: Serena Williams Wins Her 15th Grand Slam At The 2012 US Open by omodapson(m): 12:11pm On Sep 10, 2012
wandeay: 30? whoopss!! No husband!

Is she complaining? Marriage na by force? angry
Re: Serena Williams Wins Her 15th Grand Slam At The 2012 US Open by manitobor(m): 12:17pm On Sep 10, 2012
Kongratulobia Serena!!! I pray that one day you will break the record of highest number of Grand slams won by a female. Its just a matter of time, give or take 7 years. You go girl!
Re: Serena Williams Wins Her 15th Grand Slam At The 2012 US Open by abdulkayus(m): 12:18pm On Sep 10, 2012

u wan marry her. If she propsoe to u, will u marru her?
Re: Serena Williams Wins Her 15th Grand Slam At The 2012 US Open by sayso: 12:23pm On Sep 10, 2012
abdulkayus:

u wan marry her. If she propsoe to u, will u marru her?

Your reasoning has to change immediately.
Re: Serena Williams Wins Her 15th Grand Slam At The 2012 US Open by johnstar(m): 12:27pm On Sep 10, 2012
K, will dis make nigeria win d world cup undecided undecided, ow is dis our consign , its only in 9ja ppl talk abt order ppl sport, dm nvr talk abt our own sport sad sad
Re: Serena Williams Wins Her 15th Grand Slam At The 2012 US Open by sholay2011(m): 12:32pm On Sep 10, 2012
Congrats Serena, my younger sis! wink undecided Your best is yet to come....you surely learned from me... grin
Re: Serena Williams Wins Her 15th Grand Slam At The 2012 US Open by johnstar(m): 12:40pm On Sep 10, 2012
manitobor: Kongratulobia Serena!!! I pray that one day you will break the record of highest number of Grand slams won by a female. Its just a matter of time, give or take 7 years. You go girl!
instead of u should pray dat ur own fellow 9ja gals shuld qualify nd win d competition, u ar here praising sum1 else undecided undecided
Re: Serena Williams Wins Her 15th Grand Slam At The 2012 US Open by Nobody: 12:41pm On Sep 10, 2012
u fink say na 9ja wey marriage b priority 1? abeg career first jor.
Re: Serena Williams Wins Her 15th Grand Slam At The 2012 US Open by azimibraun: 1:01pm On Sep 10, 2012
Every Grand slam serena wins, translate to my loss of hope of ever feeling dt bootey... Danm dt nyash is nyashious maaan.. Everytime she plays I imagine things.. D wiggle is d best.
Re: Serena Williams Wins Her 15th Grand Slam At The 2012 US Open by AndreOgara(m): 2:33pm On Sep 10, 2012
very nerve racking match like y'all said. At some point, I turned off the tv just because I couldn't bear it. It was just tense and thrilling match. Good thing she was able to show us all her mental strength and trademark comeback win. The number 1 ranking will be hers soon. Best women's final in a long time.
Re: Serena Williams Wins Her 15th Grand Slam At The 2012 US Open by iykmora(m): 2:42pm On Sep 10, 2012
wonderful tennis match for d lovers of d game. Congrats Serena, yu almost gave us heart attack. For Vika, itz no biggie 'cos yu lost to a champion and worthy opposition. Yu might be despised for ur shrieks, but yu earned some respect wit ur hearty tennis display. We'll be seein more of yu but for now itz Serena's moment of triumph...
Also i think thrs nothin wrong in celebratin a fellow black, irrespective of d country they represent. Black is black and also excellence should be glorified. PEACE!!!

2 Likes

Re: Serena Williams Wins Her 15th Grand Slam At The 2012 US Open by mamagee3(f): 6:05pm On Sep 10, 2012
She's truly the queen of tennis
Re: Serena Williams Wins Her 15th Grand Slam At The 2012 US Open by dasparrow: 12:05am On Sep 11, 2012
@Post

Good for her!

(1) (Reply)

Please Stop Football Betting You Never Win!!!(pic) / Best 77+ Movies Telegram Channels In 2024 / Nigeria Sack Amodu, Draw Up Hiddink-led Shortlist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.