Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,827 members, 7,810,180 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:35 PM

Big Role In Small Firm Versus Small Role In A Big Corporation - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Big Role In Small Firm Versus Small Role In A Big Corporation (1067 Views)

Chemical Engineering Versus Mechanical Engineering Forum / Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? / Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Big Role In Small Firm Versus Small Role In A Big Corporation by elewedu(m): 7:16pm On Sep 11, 2012
A friend of mine in a leading multinational corporation presented this topic which I think throws up a lot of controversy. He believes that one doesnt have to be in a very big corporation to have a fantastic career. That taking the first job offered to one, without regard for the role spells a career disaster. I absolutely agree with him, I believe working in a very big company in a role that is not very key in the organization will not only stagnate ones careers, but will definitely mask ones potentials especially when the role does not require special intellectual skills. I personally got two jobs offers. went for the bigger company thinking that the bigger company will jumpstart a very fanstastic career, but alas I was dead wrong, two years down the line I have not attended a single meeting of senior management even for just observation, neither have I been invited for once to do a presentation. I am thinking if I had taken the other job offer in a small firm, my skills would have been felt, and i have would be driving bigger and chanllenging responsiblities which I absolutely crave for...what do you guys think
Re: Big Role In Small Firm Versus Small Role In A Big Corporation by serialeco(m): 7:21pm On Sep 11, 2012
My dear friend,
Being ready to free yourself and mind from the captivity of poverty is one of the decisions to make. Many are in this condition; moving away and breaking free requires concious and focused effort.
Your future is in your hands and you will only go as far as you can genuinely imagine.
Re: Big Role In Small Firm Versus Small Role In A Big Corporation by Acidosis(m): 8:10pm On Sep 11, 2012
I think you should start thinking on how to become a C.E.O..
Re: Big Role In Small Firm Versus Small Role In A Big Corporation by AjanleKoko: 12:31am On Sep 12, 2012
elewedu: A friend of mine in a leading multinational corporation presented this topic which I think throws up a lot of controversy. He believes that one doesnt have to be in a very big corporation to have a fantastic career. That taking the first job offered to one, without regard for the role spells a career disaster. I absolutely agree with him, I believe working in a very big company in a role that is not very key in the organization will not only stagnate ones careers, but will definitely mask ones potentials especially when the role does not require special intellectual skills. I personally got two jobs offers. went for the bigger company thinking that the bigger company will jumpstart a very fanstastic career, but alas I was dead wrong, two years down the line I have not attended a single meeting of senior management even for just observation, neither have I been invited for once to do a presentation. I am thinking if I had taken the other job offer in a small firm, my skills would have been felt, and i have would be driving bigger and chanllenging responsiblities which I absolutely crave for...what do you guys think

Way too early to say if you've made a career mistake or not.

Let's start like this.
What is your job in the big firm? What are you supposed to be doing there?
Re: Big Role In Small Firm Versus Small Role In A Big Corporation by elewedu(m): 5:35am On Sep 12, 2012
Ajanlekoko, I am suppose to be a management trainee in the quality department of the organization.....since leaving training school, I have not been assigned a single task to compliment this role, instead my daily routine is not differrent from that of a school cert holder, the most degrading, least challenging, and least intellectual responsibility in the department is what I do day in day out.

(1) (Reply)

Glo Scamming It's Sales Staff / Please Advice Business Administration,accountancy Or Banking And Finance / 1.5 Million Emails Of Top Company Executives And Ceos In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.