Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,030 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:50 AM

Samsung, HTC To Block iPhone 5 Sales In US & EU Using LTE Patents - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Samsung, HTC To Block iPhone 5 Sales In US & EU Using LTE Patents (17383 Views)

How To Block Unwanted Email Addresses In Gmail / Mtn Has Started To Block Sims With Unlimited Browsing-aka Magic Sim / SAMSUNG,HTC,LG Android Upgrades, Rooting And HD Games For All Android Devices (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Samsung, HTC To Block iPhone 5 Sales In US & EU Using LTE Patents by na2day(m): 9:51am On Sep 13, 2012

Apple may have come out on top when a jury ruled that dozens of Samsung phones infringed on Apple patents and trade dress, but that doesn’t mean Samsung and other Android OEMs will simply let the new iPhone 5 hit the market without a bit or resistance. There are at least a dozen Android powered devices being prepped to battle the iPhone 5 in the marketplace, but HTC and Samsung may be holding trump cards that could give them a legal edge to block the iPhone 5 from ever hitting store shelves.

It turns out that the iPhone 5 will be using the LTE radio standard for high-speed data transfer – a standard based on hundreds of different patents, some of which are held by HTC and Samsung. According to an industry source, “Samsung Electronics has decided to take immediate legal action against the Cupertino-based Apple. Countries in Europe and even the United States ― Apple’s home-turf ― are our primary targets.” Samsung has not taken any legal action yet, but we expect a patent infringement lawsuit to be filed in the following weeks.

On the HTC side, the legal battle is already under way. HTC has presented its patent claims before a US International Trade Commission Judge. The legal battle is still playing out, but Judge Thomas Pender has let Apple know that “Clear and convincing means something to me; I have to be pretty darn certain a US patent is invalid,” when Apple lawyers disputed the validity of HTC’s LTE patents. HTC has been on the forefront of LTE since it launched the HTC Thunderbolt on Verizon’s LTE network in 2011 and has supplied LTE-enabled devices for all major LTE networks across the globe.

We doubt that the courts will move fast enough to issue a preliminary injunction against Apple, which would hinder the initial launch of the iPhone 5, but it does look like Apple will be on the defensive this time around. Apple has 434 LTE patents of its own, but all Samsung and HTC need is for Apple to infringe on one of their patents to justify a court ordered injunction against the iPhone 5.

While many of you would be thrilled to see Apple suffer at the hands of Samsung and HTC, we hope the parties involved will use this as an opportunity to settle their legal differences once and for all and set up cross-licensing agreements, so they can all compete with their products rather than spend millions of dollars on lawyers. We can all agree that the patent wars within the mobile space have gotten completely out of hand.

What do you think will happen if iPhone 5 sales are banned from the US and Europe?

http://androidandme.com/2012/09/smartphones-2/samsung-htc-to-block-us-eu-sales-of-iphone-5-using-lte-patents/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=samsung-htc-to-block-us-eu-sales-of-iphone-5-using-lte-patents
Re: Samsung, HTC To Block iPhone 5 Sales In US & EU Using LTE Patents by Nobody: 9:58am On Sep 13, 2012
Apple will pay up, and the issue will be over with before it even started!
Re: Samsung, HTC To Block iPhone 5 Sales In US & EU Using LTE Patents by na2day(m): 9:59am On Sep 13, 2012
Let Samsung quickly get a preliminary injunction.
If they do, and it is upheld, then the iPhone 5 can't be released until the trial is done with or the patent is worked around. grin
Re: Samsung, HTC To Block iPhone 5 Sales In US & EU Using LTE Patents by na2day(m): 10:02am On Sep 13, 2012
MRbrownJAY: Apple will pay up, and the issue will be over with before it even started!

With non critical patents the end result will be penalty and forced licensing.

With CRITICAL patents (such as this) they are under no obligation to license.

I really hope the result will be injunction against Apple, give them a nice slap in the face.

You see Apple is anti competitive, they don't want to cross license with android, they want to put android OUT OF BUSINESS. Period.

That is Apple's STATED OBJECTIVE, the utter destruction of android.
Nuclear war as Steve Jobs himself has stated.
Apple is extremely anti consumer, the problem is their consumers are lemmings blinded by their cheap bling.

NOW I hope the response from HTC/Samsung on injunction is to make apple sweat a little and then take the high road.

You leave us alone we leave you alone and we compete for consumer not patent wars, that's what I HOPE happens.

13 Likes

Re: Samsung, HTC To Block iPhone 5 Sales In US & EU Using LTE Patents by Nobody: 10:30am On Sep 13, 2012
na2day!:
Let Samsung quickly get a preliminary injunction.
If they do, and it is upheld, then the iPhone 5 can't be released until the trial is done with or the patent is worked around. grin

na2day?
Re: Samsung, HTC To Block iPhone 5 Sales In US & EU Using LTE Patents by jmaine: 1:08pm On Sep 13, 2012
tumababa:

na2day?

LOL . . .
Re: Samsung, HTC To Block iPhone 5 Sales In US & EU Using LTE Patents by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:27pm On Sep 13, 2012
are'nt those FRAND patents?

apple will pay no doubt. but i dont think sammy can shutter them with these patents
Re: Samsung, HTC To Block iPhone 5 Sales In US & EU Using LTE Patents by walcolm(m): 3:21pm On Sep 13, 2012
4llerbuntu: are'nt those FRAND patents?

apple will pay no doubt. but i dont think sammy can shutter them with these patents

the particular patents in this case are not part of the FRAND patents
Re: Samsung, HTC To Block iPhone 5 Sales In US & EU Using LTE Patents by na2day(m): 4:26pm On Sep 13, 2012
4llerbuntu: are'nt those FRAND patents?

walcolm:

the particular patents in this case are not part of the FRAND patents

Thank you o jare,
Frand ke?
FRAND went out the window the moment Nokia sued Apple in 2009. Everything since has been a valid depiction of what the world would looked like if Google and Apple were the US and Russia during the Cold War and patents were nukes.

LTE is a complex standard covering many aspects of wireless communication (modulation, multiplexing, error correction codes, routing, codecs, etc.), each of which are built on many technological innovations. This is one of the failings of the current patent system, since in order to innovate in an area you need to implement many of the already existing technologies, the patents for which are owned by the companies which already dominate the space. In the case of LTE, over 50 companies claim to have patents required to implement it.

Samsung has 819 LTE patents which consist of about 13% of all LTE patents. They hold the most. I believe HTC has around 600 or something. Apple is currently #10 in LTE patents.

Samsung is holding apple by the balls now! grin
ahahaah! grin

6 Likes

Re: Samsung, HTC To Block iPhone 5 Sales In US & EU Using LTE Patents by ciphoenix: 7:52pm On Sep 13, 2012
na2day!:

Thank you o jare,
Frand ke?
FRAND went out the window the moment Nokia sued Apple in 2009. Everything since has been a valid depiction of what the world would looked like if Google and Apple were the US and Russia during the Cold War and patents were nukes.

LTE is a complex standard covering many aspects of wireless communication (modulation, multiplexing, error correction codes, routing, codecs, etc.), each of which are built on many technological innovations. This is one of the failings of the current patent system, since in order to innovate in an area you need to implement many of the already existing technologies, the patents for which are owned by the companies which already dominate the space. In the case of LTE, over 50 companies claim to have patents required to implement it.

Samsung has 819 LTE patents which consist of about 13% of all LTE patents. They hold the most. I believe HTC has around 600 or something. Apple is currently #10 in LTE patents.

ahahaah! grin
grin grin grin
Re: Samsung, HTC To Block iPhone 5 Sales In US & EU Using LTE Patents by ektbear: 10:00pm On Sep 13, 2012
Very interesting.
Re: Samsung, HTC To Block iPhone 5 Sales In US & EU Using LTE Patents by Nobody: 10:11pm On Sep 13, 2012
Needless rivalry. The fans are the sacrificial lambs. BlackBerry all the way!

2 Likes

Re: Samsung, HTC To Block iPhone 5 Sales In US & EU Using LTE Patents by Super1759: 10:16pm On Sep 13, 2012
Welcome to NIGERIA,iphone5. But am not interested. Tnks

1 Like

Re: Samsung, HTC To Block iPhone 5 Sales In US & EU Using LTE Patents by violent(m): 10:20pm On Sep 13, 2012
na2day!:

Thank you o jare,
Frand ke?

ahahaah! grin

Apple is NOT stupidd! It knows/expects Samsung to fight back given any chance, so It's been building up it's own LTE patents artillery in preparation for Samsung lawsuits. As at last year, Apple had NO LTE patent. It now has 318 in its possession.

The fact that Samsung has 819 LTE patents will not automatically mean any of them has been encroached. In thermonuclear war, know thine enemy is the first rule and if LTE patent is all the storm Samsung has got coming, I'd bet a dollar Apple saw Samsung's "fight-back" ability a million mile away before they decide to proceed with their lawsuits.

2 Likes

Re: Samsung, HTC To Block iPhone 5 Sales In US & EU Using LTE Patents by Nobody: 10:20pm On Sep 13, 2012
Return of the JEDI. This should be interesting. cheesy

But in the long-term, If Companies resort to Lawsuits rather than innovation. . .I wonder.

In the end, we consumers suffer the brunt. undecided
Re: Samsung, HTC To Block iPhone 5 Sales In US & EU Using LTE Patents by Nobody: 10:23pm On Sep 13, 2012
Why is this happening after Steve Jobs passed. Shame on them.undecided
Re: Samsung, HTC To Block iPhone 5 Sales In US & EU Using LTE Patents by thelastPope(m): 10:23pm On Sep 13, 2012
Billyonaire: Needless rivalry. The fans are the sacrificial lambs. BlackBerry all the way!

Blackberry ke? The reason they aint talking about blackberry is because they are not even in the competition. Blackberry is a cheap glorified java phone that Nigeria is helping to keep alive. Yeye!

18 Likes

Re: Samsung, HTC To Block iPhone 5 Sales In US & EU Using LTE Patents by Nobody: 10:23pm On Sep 13, 2012
Why is this happening after Steve Jobs passed. It`s a big shame on both of them.undecided
Re: Samsung, HTC To Block iPhone 5 Sales In US & EU Using LTE Patents by Nobody: 10:27pm On Sep 13, 2012
thelastPope:

Blackberry ke? The reason they aint talking about blackberry is because they are not even in the competition. Blackberry is a cheap glorified java phone that Nigeria is helping to keep alive. Yeye!
You call my $2,000 BB Porsche cheap and glorified ? That's pretty low IQ, do you not agree ?

1 Like

Re: Samsung, HTC To Block iPhone 5 Sales In US & EU Using LTE Patents by blackis(m): 10:28pm On Sep 13, 2012
....Sam meets Sung at Google towers on Apple boulevard. shocked Now, let the 'games' begin!!! grin grin
Re: Samsung, HTC To Block iPhone 5 Sales In US & EU Using LTE Patents by ayox2003: 10:29pm On Sep 13, 2012
Billyonaire: Needless rivalry. The fans are the sacrificial lambs. BlackBerry all the way!

Hahaha. Not in this decade. Playbook flopped! Try Asus transformer.

@OP, So Samsung now wants to "eat" Apple. I hope it wont be too hard for their teeth.

Lets see if they will succeed cos LTE is much more weightier than shapes and lines!

Frawzey

1 Like

Re: Samsung, HTC To Block iPhone 5 Sales In US & EU Using LTE Patents by Nobody: 10:34pm On Sep 13, 2012
Billyonaire: You call my $2,000 BB Porsche cheap and glorified ? That's pretty low IQ, do you not agree ?
No be you way dey talk aboult investment and business initiative everytime?, how come u kon waste $2,000 buy phone way landline better pass, i pray your BB contacts is not longer than your IQ

14 Likes

Re: Samsung, HTC To Block iPhone 5 Sales In US & EU Using LTE Patents by MrGlobe(m): 10:35pm On Sep 13, 2012
Billyonaire: You call my $2,000 BB Porsche cheap and glorified ? That's pretty low IQ, do you not agree ?
nah you need to check your IQ for buying any blackberry phone for $2000 in this day and time of technology advancements. your bb porsche or lamborgini is glorified.

6 Likes

Re: Samsung, HTC To Block iPhone 5 Sales In US & EU Using LTE Patents by Dhelake: 10:39pm On Sep 13, 2012
ayox2003:

Lets see if they will succeed cos LTE is much more weighty than shapes and lines!

Frawzey
yeah ... I pray samsung wins sha
Re: Samsung, HTC To Block iPhone 5 Sales In US & EU Using LTE Patents by CLIQBOY(m): 10:44pm On Sep 13, 2012
Wètin còncern me with iphone5 nokia2700 all dey way
Re: Samsung, HTC To Block iPhone 5 Sales In US & EU Using LTE Patents by Nobody: 10:46pm On Sep 13, 2012
i can visualize the mass disappointment on the faces of apple fans if anything happens to their beloveth iphone5...it would be damn funny grin

1 Like

Re: Samsung, HTC To Block iPhone 5 Sales In US & EU Using LTE Patents by texazzpete(m): 10:46pm On Sep 13, 2012
na2day!:

Thank you o jare,
Frand ke?

ahahaah! grin

I pity you. grin

These are FRAND patents and Samsung et al HAVE to strike a fair licensing agreement...if they truly have a claim. Qualcomm already pays a license for these modules anyway so Apple likely isn't mandated to pay anything.

Nothing will stand in the way of iPhone 5 outselling Samsung and HTC flagship smartphones COMBINED...as usual. grin
Re: Samsung, HTC To Block iPhone 5 Sales In US & EU Using LTE Patents by brosnan68: 10:47pm On Sep 13, 2012
Love the picture in the first post grin
Re: Samsung, HTC To Block iPhone 5 Sales In US & EU Using LTE Patents by Next2Bezee(m): 10:47pm On Sep 13, 2012
Dhelake: yeah ... I pray samsung wins sha

You and me both buddy cool
Re: Samsung, HTC To Block iPhone 5 Sales In US & EU Using LTE Patents by thelastPope(m): 10:52pm On Sep 13, 2012

Your $2000 bb porsche that just got angry bird like last week? You can't even get a common text editor that works right on it. Bros please you just wasted that money. RIM is a company of dunce technicians and programmers. Imagine a company that released a playbook that didn't support wifi or sim card and required a bridge connection to another bb phone to access Internet. All the members of that design team should have been sent to macdonalds to start flipping burgers.

BB is not even in the top 5 phones category. They will soon be acquired by SLOT in ikeja!

11 Likes

Re: Samsung, HTC To Block iPhone 5 Sales In US & EU Using LTE Patents by wandeay: 10:57pm On Sep 13, 2012
Season 2, Episode 1
Introducing one of the best actor on stage, HTC,
seems interesting,
we are watching!

1 Like

Re: Samsung, HTC To Block iPhone 5 Sales In US & EU Using LTE Patents by airbender(m): 11:04pm On Sep 13, 2012
Hav alwaz wanted to se aple eaten hop samsng wil do it wel this tim

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

8 Free Apps That Can Break Your Smartphone Addiction / Jiayu G4!!!!!! / How To Flash A Number On Airtel With #0 Balance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.