Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,547 members, 7,812,736 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:19 PM

9 Suspected Kidnappers Of ESUT VC Arrested - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 9 Suspected Kidnappers Of ESUT VC Arrested (9887 Views)

DSS Parades Suspected Kidnappers Of Jonathan’s Uncle, Others / Suspected Kidnappers Of Nkiru Sylvanus Paraded, Ransom Recovered / Picture & Names Of Kidnappers Of Osun Speaker’s Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

9 Suspected Kidnappers Of ESUT VC Arrested by youngies(m): 12:32pm On Sep 13, 2012
The Enugu state police command has arrested suspected abductors of the Vice-Chancellor, Enugu state university of science and technology (ESUT), Prof Cyprian Onyeji.

A statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Ebere Amarizu says that members of the syndicate were arrested after a gun battle with security operatives.

The suspects, nine in all, allegedly confessed to having carried out series of kidnappings in the Southeast region, including the recent kidnap of Prof Onyeji, who regained freedom 20 days ago.

The Enugu police spokesman said that the police had been on the trail of the suspects since the kidnap of the VC last month, and arrested three of the suspects at about 4pm yesterday.

The three men, Osinachi Iheanacho, Ejike Aba and Obinna Okoro, subsequently led the police to the arrest of others.

Professor Onyeji was abducted on the 15th of August this year by some gunmen who had waylaid his convoy at the gate of the university at Agbani.

More: http://channelkoos.com/index.php/news/2497-9-suspected-kidnappers-of-esut-vc-arrested
Re: 9 Suspected Kidnappers Of ESUT VC Arrested by miteolu(m): 3:46pm On Sep 13, 2012
The VC might have done something bad

1 Like

Re: 9 Suspected Kidnappers Of ESUT VC Arrested by malc619(m): 3:48pm On Sep 13, 2012
The suspects, nine in all, allegedly confessed to having carried out series of kidnappings in the Southeast region, including the recent kidnap of Prof Onyeji, who regained freedom 20 days ago.

I can imagine what led to their confession........
Re: 9 Suspected Kidnappers Of ESUT VC Arrested by slimming: 3:50pm On Sep 13, 2012
Thank God o
Re: 9 Suspected Kidnappers Of ESUT VC Arrested by irecruit(m): 3:54pm On Sep 13, 2012
wow, that is a relief. Thanks to the peope that caught them.
Re: 9 Suspected Kidnappers Of ESUT VC Arrested by emmygod: 3:56pm On Sep 13, 2012
MAY GOD HELP US

1 Like

Re: 9 Suspected Kidnappers Of ESUT VC Arrested by MrLee(m): 3:58pm On Sep 13, 2012
Let d investigation not come at these point they should called the names of those big guys that spönsor them

2 Likes

Re: 9 Suspected Kidnappers Of ESUT VC Arrested by DonHummer(m): 3:58pm On Sep 13, 2012
Naija police don de try oo...if anytin hapen b4 u knw it dem dn catch suspects...bt i wil be fulfild wen our politicians wuld be arrested nd sent to jail one afta d oda...
Re: 9 Suspected Kidnappers Of ESUT VC Arrested by dammytosh: 4:00pm On Sep 13, 2012
miteolu: The VC might have done something bad
And the best way to 'good' the 'bad' is to kidnap him. I can imagine au some Nigerians think.

2 Likes

Re: 9 Suspected Kidnappers Of ESUT VC Arrested by talktrue1(m): 4:07pm On Sep 13, 2012
I hope it wont be like Edo state where Police and SSS arrested two different sets of people alleged to be killers of Oshiomhole PA
Re: 9 Suspected Kidnappers Of ESUT VC Arrested by emmygod: 4:10pm On Sep 13, 2012
our police this days are doing a good job.The recent investigations carried out in recent time shows there is intermittent increase in security detections and tracking.We must commend them but efforts is still needed to co-exist relationship between people and police force so that a level of trust will be maintained in other to proffer or achieved a significant solution to reduce the activities this nefarious monsters and sinister blood licking.Let this waves of change going on in police force springs in northern part of Nigeria to tackle the menace of boko haram and its sponssors.
Re: 9 Suspected Kidnappers Of ESUT VC Arrested by pauloni(m): 4:13pm On Sep 13, 2012
I thank the police and the Good people of this state,for the Arrest. Job well don
Re: 9 Suspected Kidnappers Of ESUT VC Arrested by Aphrygian(m): 4:22pm On Sep 13, 2012
Fank God,haba kidnapers again.although there are some lecturers dat i wish they are killed e.g the professor who taught me APH202 but that does not warrant me doing it myself
Re: 9 Suspected Kidnappers Of ESUT VC Arrested by doniyke3(m): 6:00pm On Sep 13, 2012
Naija police is becoming impressive. How I wish they are quick in arresting political criminals
Re: 9 Suspected Kidnappers Of ESUT VC Arrested by Nobody: 6:13pm On Sep 13, 2012
Will they apply the death penalty?
Investigation shuld follow,coz i strongly beliv there may be link with staff of the university
Re: 9 Suspected Kidnappers Of ESUT VC Arrested by Nobody: 6:14pm On Sep 13, 2012
don_iyke: Naija police is becoming impressive. How I wish they are quick in arresting political criminals
that's when it involves high profile citizens
Re: 9 Suspected Kidnappers Of ESUT VC Arrested by PROUDIGBO(m): 6:22pm On Sep 13, 2012
Good news. Watch as the bastards start begging, saying 'na devil make me do am'.....these scum are giving the South East a bad name just for greed sake, and they should all be strung up by the gonads!
Re: 9 Suspected Kidnappers Of ESUT VC Arrested by Dignitary: 6:59pm On Sep 13, 2012
miteolu: The VC might have done something bad

And d best way to punish him is to kidnap him? Funny how ppl think
Re: 9 Suspected Kidnappers Of ESUT VC Arrested by Jimatex(m): 7:50pm On Sep 13, 2012
[quote author=malc619]

I can imagine what led to their confession........[/quote ]may be dey confess under duress. U neva kw
Re: 9 Suspected Kidnappers Of ESUT VC Arrested by Fiawest(m): 9:02pm On Sep 13, 2012
Aphrygian: Fank God,haba kidnapers again.although there are some lecturers dat i wish they are killed e.g the professor who taught me APH202 but that does not warrant me doing it myself
still in 200level n u want ur lecturer dead,dats another people bread winner u knw?Olodo like u

1 Like

Re: 9 Suspected Kidnappers Of ESUT VC Arrested by mkohagwu(m): 9:05pm On Sep 13, 2012
Suspected abductors of the Vice-Chancellor, Enugu State University of Science and Technology (ESUT), Prof Cyprian Onyeji, have been nabbed by operatives of the anti-kidnapping squad of the Enugu State Police Command.

The nine-man gang was said to have confessed to having carried out series of kidnapping in the South-east region, including the recent kidnap of Onyeji, who regained freedom 20 days ago.

A statement by the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Ebere Amarizu, a Deputy Superintendent of Police, said members of the syndicate were arrested yesterday after a heavy gun battle with security operatives.

Security agents had surrounded their hideout at Safety Hotel, Uwani in Enugu South Local Government Area following a tip-off.

Narrating how the suspects were arrested, Amarizu said policemen who had been on the trail of the suspects since the kidnap of the VC last month, arrested three of the suspects at about 4pm Wednesday, who led them to the others. Amarizu said the arrest of Osinachi Iheanacho, Ejike Aba and Obinna Okoro from a commercial bus at Agbogugu, Awgu on the Enugu-Port Harcourt Expressway, was as a result of intelligence report gathered by the police.

"Then, at about 1.30am on Wednesday, the operatives were led to Safety Hotels at Uwani of Enugu State where severe gun duel ensued between the suspected kidnappers and the security operatives and after the serious gun battle, one Ezebilo Ihiemere alias GAGO, Ifeanyi Kingsley Edeh, Ani Chidiebere, Udeonu Ernest and Chibuzor Eze were arrested, while one Chiboy escaped from the roof top of a three-storey building with serious gun injury," the police spokesman said.

Among items recovered from the suspects was a Volkswagen Vento car with registration No AQ 780 BRS. The police said on searching the car, two sunglasses, two AK47 rifles and five loaded magazines with 52 rounds of ammunition, among other items, were found in it.

Following their arrest Wednesday, the police spokesman said the suspects confessed when they realised that their game was already up and revealed the identity their gang leader and other members of the gang who had arrived earlier from Port Harcourt.

He added that the suspects confessed their roles in the VC's kidnap as well as other kidnapping incidents in the state and its environs.

He commended other security agencies in the state, the media and members of the public for their timely and useful information and assistance that led to this arrest of the suspects and assured Nigerians that the police would continue to work harder with a view to ensuring safety of lives and property.

He also used the opportunity to appeal to the members of the public, particularly medical personnel, to watch out for anyone with bullet injuries and promptly report the matter to the police for appropriate action.

Onyeji was abducted on August 15 by some gunmen who had waylaid his convoy at the gate of the university at Agbani. In the attempt to kidnap him, they wounded three policemen in his convoy who were members of his security team.

The entire staff of ESUT resorted to what they called "spiritual warfare", even as they constituted a body of "prayer warriors" to intercede on behalf of their boss. They had also declared fasting during the period of the intercession.

After nine days in captivity, he was eventually released. Although the kidnappers had demanded N200 million as ransom, it is believed that they eventually reduced it to N50 million. However, it could not be ascertained how much was eventually paid to secure Onyeji's release.

"For sure, money exchanged hands but I can't say how much. But for security reasons, that part of the story is better left untold," a source, who was one of the first set of people to see the VC when he was released had told THISDAY.

The source added that, "From information available to me, we learnt that the Prof was moved from place to place during the nine days he was in captivity. They made sure, security operatives did not pin them down to a particular spot. But, one sure thing is that he was not maltreated and he looked hale and hearty when he was found at the place they dumped him."

http://allafrica.com/stories/201209130112.html
Re: 9 Suspected Kidnappers Of ESUT VC Arrested by asha80(m): 9:10pm On Sep 13, 2012
mkohagwu: Suspected abductors of the Vice-Chancellor, Enugu State University of Science and Technology (ESUT), Prof Cyprian Onyeji, have been nabbed by operatives of the anti-kidnapping squad of the Enugu State Police Command.

The nine-man gang was said to have confessed to having carried out series of kidnapping in the South-east region, including the recent kidnap of Onyeji, who regained freedom 20 days ago.

A statement by the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Ebere Amarizu, a Deputy Superintendent of Police, said members of the syndicate were arrested yesterday after a heavy gun battle with security operatives.

Security agents had surrounded their hideout at Safety Hotel, Uwani in Enugu South Local Government Area following a tip-off.

Narrating how the suspects were arrested, Amarizu said policemen who had been on the trail of the suspects since the kidnap of the VC last month, arrested three of the suspects at about 4pm Wednesday, who led them to the others. Amarizu said the arrest of Osinachi Iheanacho, Ejike Aba and Obinna Okoro from a commercial bus at Agbogugu, Awgu on the Enugu-Port Harcourt Expressway, was as a result of intelligence report gathered by the police.

"Then, at about 1.30am on Wednesday, the operatives were led to Safety Hotels at Uwani of Enugu State where severe gun duel ensued between the suspected kidnappers and the security operatives and after the serious gun battle, one Ezebilo Ihiemere alias GAGO, Ifeanyi Kingsley Edeh, Ani Chidiebere, Udeonu Ernest and Chibuzor Eze were arrested, while one Chiboy escaped from the roof top of a three-storey building with serious gun injury," the police spokesman said.

Among items recovered from the suspects was a Volkswagen Vento car with registration No AQ 780 BRS. The police said on searching the car, two sunglasses, two AK47 rifles and five loaded magazines with 52 rounds of ammunition, among other items, were found in it.

Following their arrest Wednesday, the police spokesman said the suspects confessed when they realised that their game was already up and revealed the identity their gang leader and other members of the gang who had arrived earlier from Port Harcourt.

He added that the suspects confessed their roles in the VC's kidnap as well as other kidnapping incidents in the state and its environs.

He commended other security agencies in the state, the media and members of the public for their timely and useful information and assistance that led to this arrest of the suspects and assured Nigerians that the police would continue to work harder with a view to ensuring safety of lives and property.

He also used the opportunity to appeal to the members of the public, particularly medical personnel, to watch out for anyone with bullet injuries and promptly report the matter to the police for appropriate action.

Onyeji was abducted on August 15 by some gunmen who had waylaid his convoy at the gate of the university at Agbani. In the attempt to kidnap him, they wounded three policemen in his convoy who were members of his security team.

The entire staff of ESUT resorted to what they called "spiritual warfare", even as they constituted a body of "prayer warriors" to intercede on behalf of their boss. They had also declared fasting during the period of the intercession.

After nine days in captivity, he was eventually released. Although the kidnappers had demanded N200 million as ransom, it is believed that they eventually reduced it to N50 million. However, it could not be ascertained how much was eventually paid to secure Onyeji's release.

"For sure, money exchanged hands but I can't say how much. But for security reasons, that part of the story is better left untold," a source, who was one of the first set of people to see the VC when he was released had told THISDAY.

The source added that, "From information available to me, we learnt that the Prof was moved from place to place during the nine days he was in captivity. They made sure, security operatives did not pin them down to a particular spot. But, one sure thing is that he was not maltreated and he looked hale and hearty when he was found at the place they dumped him."

http://allafrica.com/stories/201209130112.html

so is safety hotels going to be demolished or confisticated by enugu govt as the case is anambra?

1 Like

Re: 9 Suspected Kidnappers Of ESUT VC Arrested by yuzedo: 9:53pm On Sep 13, 2012
If I hear say na d real kidnappers of ESUT VC be dat! undecided

Police just want to form they are working hard and cracking down on high-profile crime. Even if these are real criminals, they most likely were brutalized pressured and cajoled into taking responsibility for the VC's kidnap so that police can take glory AND CLOSE THAT PARTICULAR CASE! angry
Re: 9 Suspected Kidnappers Of ESUT VC Arrested by ignis: 11:03pm On Sep 13, 2012
talk true: I hope it wont be like Edo state where Police and SSS arrested two different sets of people alleged to be killers of Oshiomhole PA
The people arrested might be innocent. I dont trust Nigerian police.
Re: 9 Suspected Kidnappers Of ESUT VC Arrested by ignis: 11:06pm On Sep 13, 2012
Aphrygian: Fank God,haba kidnapers again.although there are some lecturers dat i wish they are killed e.g the professor who taught me APH202 but that does not warrant me doing it myself
Can you just listen to yourself? Its a shame that we produce educated illiterates as graduate in Nigeria. Imagine the way an undergraduate like you thinks like an armed robber. We still have a long way to go in Nigeria.
Re: 9 Suspected Kidnappers Of ESUT VC Arrested by lumeneng22: 12:27am On Sep 14, 2012
These igbo criminals surpose to know that with the advent of gsm, some crimes comitted are easily trace no matter what. Anyway they dont read news because of their literacy status.They sould be granted their independence sharp sharp make them comot from our country.
Re: 9 Suspected Kidnappers Of ESUT VC Arrested by asha80(m): 12:30am On Sep 14, 2012
lumeneng22: These igbo criminals surpose to know that with the advent of gsm, some crimes comitted are easily trace no matter what. Anyway they dont read news because of their literacy status.They sould be granted their independence sharp sharp make them comot from our country.

u are stuck with them.
Re: 9 Suspected Kidnappers Of ESUT VC Arrested by aspabay(m): 5:45am On Sep 14, 2012
Robbery, kidnapping and other social ills should be condemned. You do not attribute the behavior of a few disgruntled elements to their entire race/tribe or religion. I hope Nigeria survives this phase.
Re: 9 Suspected Kidnappers Of ESUT VC Arrested by Nobody: 6:05am On Sep 14, 2012
Re: 9 Suspected Kidnappers Of ESUT VC Arrested by OneNaira6: 6:26am On Sep 14, 2012
youngies: The Enugu state police command has arrested suspected abductors of the Vice-Chancellor, Enugu state university of science and technology (ESUT), Prof Cyprian Onyeji.

A statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Ebere Amarizu says that members of the syndicate were arrested after a gun battle with security operatives.

The suspects, nine in allb]allegedly[/b] confessed to having carried out series of kidnappings in the Southeast region, including the recent kidnap of Prof Onyeji, who regained freedom 20 days ago.

The Enugu police spokesman said that the police had been on the trail of the suspects since the kidnap of the VC last month, and arrested three of the suspects at about 4pm yesterday.

The three men, Osinachi Iheanacho, Ejike Aba and Obinna Okoro, subsequently led the police to the arrest of others.

Professor Onyeji was abducted on the 15th of August this year by some gunmen who had waylaid his convoy at the gate of the university at Agbani.

More: http://channelkoos.com/index.php/news/2497-9-suspected-kidnappers-of-esut-vc-arrested

I do hope these men are the real culprit. Hmm, I do not trust nigerian police at all and their evidence against the nine men (i.e: allegedly confessed. Notation on allegedly) is hmmmmm. Well Good job if they caught the real suspect.
Re: 9 Suspected Kidnappers Of ESUT VC Arrested by HonSuQMaDIQ(m): 7:25am On Sep 14, 2012
lumeneng22: These igbo criminals surpose to know that with the advent of gsm, some crimes comitted are easily trace no matter what. Anyway they dont read news because of their literacy status.They sould be granted their independence sharp sharp make them comot from our country.
SEUN if you don't BAN this Worthless CHENANIGAN then ur NAIRALAND is no different from the DEVIL's REJECTs, BOKO HARAM.
U find it easy BANNING people for the FLIMSIEST of reasons (like GARRI) but only encourage this kind of dirty BASTARD's BIGOTRY.
Well u call the shots here, so go on sowing your seed of ETHNIC DIVISION, as its obvious that its the only way u maintain TRAFFIC on your FORUM.
The money might be sweet today, but what about tomorrow. What exactly do you want to be remebered for? Think about it.
Re: 9 Suspected Kidnappers Of ESUT VC Arrested by Jceazer12(m): 9:14am On Sep 14, 2012
I thought they said the VC was with his convoy before he was kidnapped,so nine men overpower the vc convoy...hahaaha naija is a funny country anytin can happen.

(1) (2) (Reply)

NJC Dismisses Four Petitions Against Justice Okon Abang / Buhari’s Return Has Stabilised Polity – Orji Kalu / More Facts Emerge Following Sack Of DSS Boss By Osinbajo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.