Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,830 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:40 PM

Cultural Phenomena - Why Are Women Subjected To Harsh Beauty Standards? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Cultural Phenomena - Why Are Women Subjected To Harsh Beauty Standards? (1402 Views)

Cross Cultural Marriage:interesting Tweets From White Lady Married To A Nigerian / Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices / Are Cushitic People The Standards Of Beauty? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cultural Phenomena - Why Are Women Subjected To Harsh Beauty Standards? by Nobody: 3:38am On Sep 14, 2012
I frequent this African American forum and came across a thread on Gabourey Sidibe. The posters were very harsh towards her weight and looks, and one comment mentioned that her presence in Hollywood was part of a racist media conspiracy to portray Black women as unattractive and asexual mammies. As much as I like to discuss racial politics portraying the poor girl as a heinous symbol (for no reason other than her looks) rubbed me the wrong way.

On the flip side I had looked through the Monalisa Chinda's picture thread and found a lot of people bashing her looks because she is light skinned, and thus, not representative of African beauty.

It's also the same way in which skinny women are discussed in negative terms because a certain cultural ideal of voluptuousness is not met. Or when African girls who participate in pageants are judged as not meeting "international" standards in beauty competitions.

The above sounds like a rant - but I find it sad that women's physical looks are subjected to different types of physical, cultural or political ideals and are judged harshly as a result. Just let everyone do them, that's all.
Re: Cultural Phenomena - Why Are Women Subjected To Harsh Beauty Standards? by ezotik: 3:22pm On Sep 14, 2012
nnenna.1:
The above sounds like a rant - but I find it sad that women's physical looks are subjected to different types of physical, cultural or political ideals and are judged harshly as a result. Just let everyone do them, that's all.

u mean like the god-fearing, financially-stable, six-pack having, tall, dark and handsome man that u would love to have?

1 Like

Re: Cultural Phenomena - Why Are Women Subjected To Harsh Beauty Standards? by Nobody: 1:46am On Sep 15, 2012
i wish people would just learn to love themselves.

then the small ish such as weight, race and such wouldn't matter. undecided

i can't believe the drama about zoe saldana playing nina simone because she is light skinned and caribbean/afro.latin. its like wtf?

why do WE black people make small stuff matter so much?
Re: Cultural Phenomena - Why Are Women Subjected To Harsh Beauty Standards? by somalia5: 2:11am On Sep 19, 2012
negroid women cant keep up to the beuty standards of somali, ethiopian women

ur chimical, weaves, surgeries can only take u so far

somali women, and other horn women dont complain of such standards, cause they are naturally beutiful

its ur negroid men who hold u to our standards cause women who look like men in wigs wasnt cutting it for them

the most true post i made ever. u know it negroids

(1) (Reply)

Folklore: Agu N’aturu / Oba Of Benin Invokes Charms Last Exposed To Sunlight 800 Years Ago / Nigeria's Facial Scars: The Last Generation (viewers discretion!)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.