Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,349 members, 7,957,926 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 02:44 AM

Aksg Website Developers Still Don't Get It - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Aksg Website Developers Still Don't Get It (846 Views)

Are There Really Good Website Developers In Nigeria? / I want Website Developers For Employment / Website Developers Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Aksg Website Developers Still Don't Get It by my2cents(m): 12:47pm On Jan 10, 2008
So, I recently visited the AKSG website: http://www.akwaibomstategov.com/ and noticed it went through a re-design. No ya wa, nothing spoil. It actually looks much cleaner than what was there before (I am bolding this sentence for the "holier than thou" crowd who will probably come back to say, "my2cents, show me any design of yours that is better than theirs. " Please note, this isn't about design but usability). Having said that, I am afraid to say that they still don't get it:

1) The site still falls apart in FF

2) The redesign only applies to the home page - lack of uniformity

3) Even with the re-design, there are still broken images/links

4) Hovering over the top nav menu such that your cursor's index finger is just below the items causes the flash to "break dance"

5) The news section hasn't been updated since Dec 18. In other words, even my own site http://www.akwaibomnewsonline.com is more up-to-date

Apparently, testing (especially for cross-browser compatibility) isn't part of their forte.

Do I hear someone say, "my2cents, stop whining. Ask not what your government/people can do for you but what you can do for your government/people". I am happy you said that tongue - During my last visit I met with some folks and even turned in a couple of proposals. I hear the person in charge is pretty powerful and won't let anyone near that site with a 10-foot pole, but I no send am.

If in the end, she takes my proposal and presents it as hers, nothing spoil. I just want that site to look good and be better than any other state government website out there, period.
Re: Aksg Website Developers Still Don't Get It by smartsoft(m): 3:10pm On Jan 10, 2008
so what is your point now
Re: Aksg Website Developers Still Don't Get It by my2cents(m): 4:01pm On Jan 10, 2008
my point is this:

As developers we need to look beyond, "I can deliver a top quality site for you" and focus on other arenas like testing, usability, accessibility, SEO, web standards, etc.

Just because you can personally code the next eBay doesn't give you the right to put up crap. If they had taken the time to test, including testing across multiple browsers, there would be no broken images, links, break-dancing flash movies, etc. Testing is a big deal. Granted it may not be fully appreciated in Nigeria, I know of a few testers in the US who make, if not more than, what a developer makes. It may seem like all they do is run test scripts all day long but what they do is very technical.

shey be you grab? wink
Re: Aksg Website Developers Still Don't Get It by webguru(m): 7:44pm On Jan 10, 2008
yeah, imagine testers in naija

bt then how many big projects do we have

i can see ur msg thanks to smartsoft

criticsm shld always b welcome
Re: Aksg Website Developers Still Don't Get It by Nobody: 7:46pm On Jan 14, 2008
sweet Jesus! the site suks, too much flash, 5 different flash on just 1 page, pathetic. Must everything be moving for Christ sake. many gifs plus marquees. We need to join hand and pray for the website, It has fallen into the wrong hands already.
Re: Aksg Website Developers Still Don't Get It by uspry1(f): 8:24pm On Jan 14, 2008
If it is USA government site like this, http://www.akwaibomstategov.com/, has failed with USA Federal Section 508 Web Assessibility Law.

Luckily, Nigeria does not have that Web Accessibility law, let that web developer do whatever they want with bad usability and uniformity. There is no law in Nigeria about it. But in the USA, it IS A MUST if it is US government site.

I rather this site like this, http://www.akwaibomnewsonline.com/, more cleaner, consistency, and usability better as well as faster loading to retrieve any web page when it come to click the navigated buttons/hypertexted links.

(1) (Reply)

Website Access / Please I Need A Toolbar Plz / Is Western Union Quick Cash In Nigeria For Real?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.