Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,879 members, 7,817,587 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:02 PM

75% Of Kid Street Hawkers, Child Slaves From Ebonyi State - NAPTIP - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 75% Of Kid Street Hawkers, Child Slaves From Ebonyi State - NAPTIP (1177 Views)

UN Official Zainab Bangura Confirms Isis 'price List' For Child Slaves As Genuin / El-Rufai Bans Beggars And Street Hawkers In Kaduna State / Lagos IGR Now 75% Of State Budget...And IGR of each State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

75% Of Kid Street Hawkers, Child Slaves From Ebonyi State - NAPTIP by youngies(m): 10:24am On Sep 14, 2012
For long, Ebonyi has been infamous for several reasons. It has been described as a factory where house helps, kids, hawking on major streets of urban cities, children that labour at rice mills and quarries, and others are produced in large quantities. But right now, the National Agency for the Prohibition of Traffic in Persons and other related matters (NAPTIP) is getting worried about the state where 75 per cent of the entire victims from the South-East comes from.

The agency, fully committed to the prevention of all forms of human degradation and exploitation, in an effort to stamp out human trafficking, liberate the vulnerable, especially women and children from dehumanisation, exploitative employment and ensure their rehabilitation and effective reintegration into society, recently embarked on a sensitization drive to the womenfolk to campaign against child abuse. The Enugu Zonal Head, Mrs. Nkiru Emmanuel, went round the communities in Ebonyi State, talking to the women and men alike against the ills of child abuse and exploitation and engaging the under-aged, working at rice mills and quarries.

She frowned at such an abuse and warned that the agency would not spare anyone found to have abused the under-aged, engaged them in an exploitative labour, slavery and sexual exploitation, forced labour and other related matters. She reminded them that such an offender risks being sanctioned according to the law as stipulated in the statute book.

According to the Zonal Head of the Agency, the agency came into existence as a response to the scourge of human trafficking, child abuse and child labour in the country. She told the reporter in an exclusive interview that the agency was in Ebonyi State, which falls under the Enugu Zone made up of Anambra, Ebonyi, Enugu, Abia and Imo States, because the state was plagued with different types of trafficking and child labour.

Her words: “In Ebonyi particularly, child abuse is noticed. Most of them are not sending their children to school. Instead, they send them out to beg, hawk, work in the quarries and also in the rice mills. That is why we are particular about Ebonyi. And also, this issue of house help syndrome is endemic in this state; even child labour. When I talk about child labour, it involves both sexes. And when I talk about house help, it involves both sexes.

More: http://channelkoos.com/index.php/news/2507-75-of-kid-street-hawkers-child-slaves-from-ebonyi-state-naptip
Re: 75% Of Kid Street Hawkers, Child Slaves From Ebonyi State - NAPTIP by OneNaira6: 10:39am On Sep 14, 2012
Sad. I'll continue to be an advocate for SE to do something about Ebonyi state. Either absorb it back into another SE state or tear down the governor and rebuild it from scratch. It's shame how northern-like Ebonyi is. It's a damn shame.
Re: 75% Of Kid Street Hawkers, Child Slaves From Ebonyi State - NAPTIP by youngies(m): 11:22am On Sep 14, 2012
I really do not know how Ebonyi State got to this silly sorry state. 75% is an understatement, I know for sure that almost all the street hawkers I have met on Abuja traffic are from Ebonyi embarassed
Re: 75% Of Kid Street Hawkers, Child Slaves From Ebonyi State - NAPTIP by Abagworo(m): 11:23am On Sep 14, 2012
In Port Harcourt 90% of hawkers are from Ebonyi. I think they joined trading too late and as a result are now doing what other Igbos did 40 years ago when they were still farming. My advice is for them to go back to farming because everyone must not trade or work in an office. Agriculture is better than trading and office job.

1 Like

Re: 75% Of Kid Street Hawkers, Child Slaves From Ebonyi State - NAPTIP by Super1759: 11:36am On Sep 14, 2012
I wonder how they get all these analysis.
I heard someone say
90percent of prostitutes come from uyo.
80percent of agboros come from lagos
70percent of mad people come from calaber.
cheesy cheesy maybe ebonyi indigenes are naturally gifted "usain bolts"
Re: 75% Of Kid Street Hawkers, Child Slaves From Ebonyi State - NAPTIP by pazienza(m): 11:41am On Sep 14, 2012
Yeah,ebonyi is seriously lagging behind in many life aspects. In the past,people blamed enugu for their condition,but with their fate now in their hands,they have not fared better.
Re: 75% Of Kid Street Hawkers, Child Slaves From Ebonyi State - NAPTIP by youngies(m): 11:42am On Sep 14, 2012
....I also learn that the Governor of Ebonyi State Martin Elechi is among those in 2012 National disHonours Award list. He is to be disHonoured for his exemplary leadership
Re: 75% Of Kid Street Hawkers, Child Slaves From Ebonyi State - NAPTIP by Abagworo(m): 12:54pm On Sep 14, 2012
pazienza: Yeah,ebonyi is seriously lagging behind in many life aspects. In the past,people blamed enugu for their condition,but with their fate now in their hands,they have not fared better.

Most people I've met from the Southern part of Ebonyi( Afikpo, Ishiagu, Ohaozara area) prefer being merged back with Abia. They produced the 1st Governor of Abia State and fared better under Abia. Their merger with those from Abakaliki they believe led to retrogression.
Re: 75% Of Kid Street Hawkers, Child Slaves From Ebonyi State - NAPTIP by youngies(m): 1:36pm On Sep 14, 2012
Abagworo:

Most people I've met from the Southern part of Ebonyi( Afikpo, Ishiagu, Ohaozara area) prefer being merged back with Abia. They produced the 1st Governor of Abia State and fared better under Abia. Their merger with those from Abakaliki they believe led to retrogression.
I don't understand, how does Afikpo, Ishiagu, Ohaozara area belonging to Ebonyi made them not to be who/what they originally were?
Re: 75% Of Kid Street Hawkers, Child Slaves From Ebonyi State - NAPTIP by Jisunpack: 2:29pm On Sep 14, 2012
These are the real "Almajiris". I thought they said SOUTH EAST na Eldorado?
Re: 75% Of Kid Street Hawkers, Child Slaves From Ebonyi State - NAPTIP by bashr8: 3:17pm On Sep 14, 2012
Ji_sun_pack: These are the real "Almajiris". I thought they said SOUTH EAST na Eldorado?
National Agency for the Prohibition of Traffic in Persons and other related matters (NAPTIP) is getting worried about the state where 75 per cent of the entire victims from the South-East comes from.

they said 75percent of hawkers from the south east zone are of ebonyi origin and not 75 percent of nigerian hawkers. i know your not intelligent but you dont have to show it.
Re: 75% Of Kid Street Hawkers, Child Slaves From Ebonyi State - NAPTIP by dayokanu(m): 3:42pm On Sep 14, 2012
bashr8:
National Agency for the Prohibition of Traffic in Persons and other related matters (NAPTIP) is getting worried about the state where 75 per cent of the entire victims from the South-East comes from.

they said 75percent of hawkers from the south east zone are of ebonyi origin and not 75 percent of nigerian hawkers. i know your not intelligent but you dont have to show it.

youngies: I really do not know how Ebonyi State got to this silly sorry state. 75% is an understatement, [size=18pt]I know for sure that almost all the street hawkers I have met on Abuja traffic are from Ebonyi [/size] embarassed

Think again
Re: 75% Of Kid Street Hawkers, Child Slaves From Ebonyi State - NAPTIP by Jisunpack: 3:44pm On Sep 14, 2012
Lemme guess, they are not from south east, right? Guy chill down, the only explanation required from you here is how on earth wIll the most industrious sons be engaged in child labour, aren't they suppose to be In school? mark you, I'm not vilifying the hawkers, cos I respect any man working hard to put food on the table.

bashr8:

Re: 75% Of Kid Street Hawkers, Child Slaves From Ebonyi State - NAPTIP by Jisunpack: 3:53pm On Sep 14, 2012
Bros, leave that guy jooor.

From Lagos to PH to entire FCT and other southern States, the "Abakiliki Boyz" as popularly known are the major suppliers of "Gala and Viju milk" or recharge cards at any popular traffic jam. I don't want to make a slanderous comments towards those I feel are working hard to eat, atleast they are more courageous than drug dealers that said.

But I want him to explain to me why should the richest region be engage with child labour, arent these children suppose to be in school?

dayokanu:

Think again

(1) (Reply)

Oil Palaver: FG Looks To Political Solution For Anambra, Kogi, Enugu States / Aluu 4 Were NOT Armed Robbers, They Were Set Up - IG Of Police / Nigeria: Thief Obasanjo's Endless Fuel Price Hikes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.