Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,127 members, 7,811,177 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:16 AM

Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez (52467 Views)

Six Lessons Of Life (fun) / Lessons From The 'world's Ugliest Woman': 'stop Staring And Start Learning' / Lessons From A Fish! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by dangerzone: 2:51pm On Sep 16, 2012
BelaMorena:

You nor well.
A beg seek deliverance asap. Lol.

deliverance for telling the fact? haba,did u read it anywhere from the article that she is a virgin??
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by nikkyshyne(f): 2:52pm On Sep 16, 2012
What made her ugly is the absence of fat and her big teeth. These oyinbo doctors should be able to inject some fats to her face and give her a new set of teeth I think undecided
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by NEROSKY(m): 2:56pm On Sep 16, 2012
jcmi: this gul is beautiful.she fine pass sm girls for naija.
even u wink
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by Nobody: 2:59pm On Sep 16, 2012
armadeo:

Man people are looking @ me wondering what's choking me. grin
shocked you just walked in my shoes grin
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by Nobody: 3:03pm On Sep 16, 2012
obadiah777: thats not an ugly woman. she has potential if she puts on weight
Did you actually read the post before commenting or you just looked at her picture?

donsax: When she was in high school, Lizzie Velasquez was dubbed "The World's Ugliest Woman" in an 8-second-long YouTube video. Born with a medical condition so rare that just two other people in the world are thought to have it, Velasquez has no adipose tissue and cannot create muscle, store energy, or gain weight. She has zero percent body fat and weighs just 60 pounds.

In the comments on YouTube, viewers called her "it" and "monster" and encouraged her to kill herself. Instead, Velasquez set four goals: To become a motivational speaker, to publish a book, to graduate college, and to build a family and a career for herself.

Related: Bullied into plastic surgery?

Now 23 years old, she's been a motivational speaker for seven years and has given more than 200 workshops on embracing uniqueness, dealing with bullies, and overcoming obstacles. She's a senior majoring in Communications at Texas State University in San Marcos, where she lives with her best friend. Her first book, "Lizzie Beautiful," came out in 2010 and her second, "Be Beautiful, Be You," was published earlier this month.

"The stares are what I'm really dealing with in public right now," she told Dr. Drew Pinsky in an interview on CNN's Headline News this week. "But I think I'm getting to the point where… instead of sitting by and watching people judge me, I'm starting to want to go up to these people and introduce myself or give them my card and say, 'Hi, I'm Lizzie. Maybe you should stop staring and start learning'."

Velasquez was born in San Antonio, Texas; she was four weeks premature and weighed just 2 pounds, 10 ounces. "They told us they had no idea how she could have survived," her mother, Rita, 45, told the Daily Mail. "We had to buy doll's clothes from the toy store because baby clothes were too big." Doctors warned Rita and her husband, Lupe, that their oldest child would never be able to walk or talk, let alone live a normal life. (Her two younger siblings were not affected by the syndrome.)

Related: Why women need some fat to stay healthy

Instead, she has thrived. Her internal organs, brain, and bones developed normally, though her body is tiny. Since she has no fatty tissue in which to store nutrients, she has to eat every 15 to 20 minutes to have enough energy to get through the day. One brown eye started clouding over when she was 4 years old, and now she's blind in that eye and has only limited sight in the other.

"Some days life doesn't make sense," she writes in "Be Beautiful, Be You." "You just have to change what you can, ask for help and pray about the rest."

She notes her triumphs and posts inspirational messages on Tumblr, and says that she's learned to embrace the things that make her unique. Instead of trying to retaliate against people who have made her feel badly, she sets goals for herself and pushes herself to succeed in spite of the haters. She's even reclaimed YouTube, video blogging about everything from bullying to hair-styling tips to staying positive.

"I feel really glad that I don't look like the celebrities out there that are so beautiful," she told Dr. Drew. "There's a lot of stereotypes attached to that." Not looking like a supermodel "gives people the opportunity to know you personally," she explains. "If they're willing to take that extra step they'll get to know the person you really are."

Of course, the horrible comments left on that old YouTube video stung (the video has since been removed, but Velasquez says she read every single comment). Now, she says, she understands that they're "just words."

"I'm human, and of course these things are going to hurt," she said. "Their judgements of me isn't who I am, and I'm not going to let these things define me."

"I didn't sink down to their level," she said in a follow-up video on YouTube last year. "Instead, I got my revenge through my accomplishments and determination. In the battle between the 'World's Ugliest Woman' video vs. me, I think I won."

http://shine.yahoo.com/beauty/lessons-worlds-ugliest-woman-stop-staring-start-learning-184400606.html
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by pendusky(m): 3:07pm On Sep 16, 2012
Lizzie Velasquez is more beautiful than some gals in Nairaland, starting wit Odunnu, if i lie check ha profile here www.nairaland.com/odunnu sure she wont hide ha pix. grin grin grin
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by MrLee(m): 3:10pm On Sep 16, 2012
martin92: rotflmao. I just lost appetite to eat garri
why na bros
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by Ignatio(m): 3:13pm On Sep 16, 2012
The part that she eats every 15 mins gave me some chill in the spine tho.
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by Patfrank(f): 3:18pm On Sep 16, 2012
[/color]
misreal: Dis woman fit mr ibu.nigeria's most ugliest man grin
[color=#770077]
you no serious
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by hollypagan: 3:19pm On Sep 16, 2012
She fine pass muki
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by eklassical(m): 3:21pm On Sep 16, 2012
collins123: Life is just...unpredictable.

Same goes to the price of garrie
hohohohohoho
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by Nobody: 3:27pm On Sep 16, 2012
floridam: Beauty with challenges I call her.
buahahahahahahahaahahaha! Guy abeg no wound me joh!! grin
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by Roon9(m): 3:36pm On Sep 16, 2012
collins123: Life is just...unpredictable.

Same goes to the price of garrie

Sorri bro ßt i tink ∂E̶̲̥̅̊Y̶̲̥̅̊ wil ban U̶̲̥̅̊..... rty abou now
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by Nwogbe: 3:41pm On Sep 16, 2012
Is she really d ugliest woman on earth?
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by gabriel212: 3:42pm On Sep 16, 2012
Her beauty is stored in her brain and express in confidence!!!
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by dangerzone: 3:53pm On Sep 16, 2012
gabriel212: Her beauty is stored in her brain and express in confidence!!!
u get brain
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by bibigirl07: 3:54pm On Sep 16, 2012
This is true resilience ‎​Ãήϑ perseverance at work. Velasquez, ride on girl, see ya' at the top!
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by cynthiaibeabuchi(f): 3:59pm On Sep 16, 2012
And who said she's d world's ugliest woman??
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by dangerzone: 4:02pm On Sep 16, 2012
cynthia ibeabuchi: And who said she's d world's ugliest woman??
u, u be fine girl joor

1 Like

Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by Sike(m): 4:12pm On Sep 16, 2012
One FACT i BELIEVE is that "She can/will never be the world's ugliest being"...
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by Ogundale(m): 4:31pm On Sep 16, 2012
Why would they rate such a beauty ugly.
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by vislabraye(m): 4:33pm On Sep 16, 2012
Her condition is health related. I don't want to judge her as the ugliest girl because of that. There are many healthy girls who are uglier beyond description. NL have them plenty plenty. Prove me wrong.
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by ADidi1(m): 4:44pm On Sep 16, 2012
she inspired me a lot and it's a proof that no matter what you can make something out of how God created you.
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by Cutepie1(f): 5:11pm On Sep 16, 2012
I dont think she is ugly cos av been admiring her courage n also likin her face
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by faithego(f): 5:11pm On Sep 16, 2012
I think she has a beautiful heart n i love her 4 dat
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by Rudewaterz(m): 5:14pm On Sep 16, 2012
I love her already! I almost cried for her when I read about the names she was called on youtube. Some people really are unbelievable!
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by Kologie: 5:23pm On Sep 16, 2012
she is certainly going to be a queen in the eyes of some naija guys seeking for visa grin

Anyways, we should'nt judge a book by it cover.
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by ignis: 5:35pm On Sep 16, 2012
I can bet with my life that this is not the worlds ugliest lady. I have seen girls more ugly than her many times here in Nigeria.
Naija girls wowo sha. Make dem come Nigeria, dem go see many babes wey go collect this title from her.
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by Frankyshaky(m): 5:54pm On Sep 16, 2012
what a model to emulate if she made all this success despite her barrier i see no need i will complain again in any situation thanks boss for this piece
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by philip0906(m): 6:38pm On Sep 16, 2012
Frankyshaky: what a model to emulate if she made all this success despite her barrier i see no need i will complain again in any situation thanks boss for this piece
she had 2 choices;
1.commit suicide
2.forge ahead with life
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by NobleAngell(f): 7:09pm On Sep 16, 2012
She s not dat bad 2 me. She s hotter dan fire. No kidding.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Chimamanda Adichie Poses In Her Hometown In Abba, Anambra State / Game Of Pleasure(18+) / Hustlers Tale (campus Life)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.