Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,519 members, 7,843,585 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 08:22 AM

My Experience And View Of Sleep Paralysis - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My Experience And View Of Sleep Paralysis (855 Views)

I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! / The Effects Of Cheating Ourselves Of Sleep / Sleeping Paralysis: Share Your Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Experience And View Of Sleep Paralysis by xtrafly(m): 1:36pm On Sep 14, 2012
I read a topic with lots of responses here about sleep paralysis, it has happened to me a lot of times and I thought it was a kind of 'demonic oppression', then I changed my view to the scientific explanation involving disrupted REM sleep. Two similar experiences which I will discuss here have changed my view yet again of sleep paralysis.
One night I slept off while watching a movie with my sister, at a point I 'woke' up to the familiar feeling of sleep paralysis, I could see and hear my sister and the movie she was watching, i tried my best to call her but I couldn't. After a while she looked at me then walked over and tapped me, I felt 'freed'. When I got up, I asked her why she tapped me, she said I was grunting heavily in my sleep, I asked if my eyes where closed and she said yes. The second experience was almost the same, the only difference was the person involved in the waking.
My explanation of sleep paralysis is that it occurs when the spirit leaves the body (similar to dreaming), and returns when the body is yet to wake up (notice that you always wake up at the end of a dream), at this point there is a kind of 'disconnect' between the body and the spirit. Many people who experience sleep paralysis can actually see what's happening around them, but do not know that their eyes are physically closed. During sleep paralysis, you sometimes hear strange sounds, see strange objects, or feel a 'presence', these disappear immediately you are fully awake. This is because they come from another 'dimension' that only your spirit can perceive.
Sleep paralysis is usually very scary because it is like being trapped between the physical and the spiritual realm. I 'believe' with learning to control your mind (similar to meditation) you can actually control your spirit during sleep paralysis.
My views are totally from experience so I have no scientific evidence to prove them, people who have experienced sleep paralysis will understand them better. I'd like to hear your views on this
Re: My Experience And View Of Sleep Paralysis by AMALOSHE: 2:54am On Aug 14, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your experience on this topic (sleep paralysis) ur contribution has helped me tremendously,thank U..
Re: My Experience And View Of Sleep Paralysis by xtrafly(m): 6:54am On Oct 22, 2013
AMALOSHE: Thank you so much for sharing your experience on this topic (sleep paralysis) ur contribution has helped me tremendously,thank U..
You are welcome. Like I said, this my explanation so i have no scientific evidence to back it up

(1) (Reply)

Do You Know About Chest Pain? Get Enlightened.. / Spironolactone Or Beta Sitosterol / The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.