Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,960 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:32 AM

Honda EOD Users: I4 vs V6 Issues - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Honda EOD Users: I4 vs V6 Issues (11742 Views)

I Went From 2003 Toyota Camry I4 To 2001 Mercedes Ml320: Upgrade Or Downgrade / 2001 Toyota Camry Inline-4 Vs V6 / Mercedes Benz C200 W202 Vs Honda Accord Ex I4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Honda EOD Users: I4 vs V6 Issues by exord: 2:13pm On Sep 14, 2012
Personally I have driven a V4 and also using a V6 Honda accord. V4 was 2003 model while V6 is a 2005 model.
Against the usual scary stories about V6 EODs, amongst other cars, I seem to enjoy the V6 cruise and the maintenance seem not to differ from the V4. I want your own view please. Preferrably with facts.
Re: Honda EOD Users: I4 vs V6 Issues by mikkyphp(m): 4:06pm On Sep 14, 2012
@OP for the record, there's nothing like V4, it is I4 - Inline 4 cylinders. Meaning the cylinders are arranged in a straight line, while for v6, you have 3 cylinders on each side of the engine arranged in a V-shape to each other. This shape provides higher engine displacement, hence more power.
I do agree with your views on the V6 engine as i have one as well, though a Nissan, the problem is many roadside mechanics dont have sufficient skill set on V6 engines, hence they discourage people. Another thing is fuel consumption(which isnt significally higer) and the Naija crowd mentality. Thats why everybody is buying 99 camry in 2012.lol

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Honda EOD Users: I4 vs V6 Issues by exord: 9:12pm On Sep 14, 2012
I sincerely agree with you. It's sad when educated people, that can search the internet and acquire enough knowledge, keep listening to a roadside mechanic who doesn't know what to say than what to eat!
They have so made any other engine in a car sound like hell-on-earth because of their lack of technical know-how.
I have a couple of friends using the V6 and never heard anything out of the normal. Thank God for the few good mechanics we have around now.

1 Like

Re: Honda EOD Users: I4 vs V6 Issues by exord: 9:50pm On Sep 14, 2012
By the way, thanks for the 'V' and 'I' correction. Good to learn.

2 Likes

Re: Honda EOD Users: I4 vs V6 Issues by drakin1(m): 6:50pm On Sep 17, 2012
Planning to buy Honda(EoD) which one will u recomend, the I4 or the V6, in terms of meintenance, fuel consumption availabilitty of parts and performance. Thanks
Re: Honda EOD Users: I4 vs V6 Issues by exord: 10:06pm On Sep 19, 2012
Both are good only that if you want to buy a 'machine' the V6 is the way to go. The I4 only has a "minimal" advantage on fuel conservation. Both parts are available and affordable,relatively.
Re: Honda EOD Users: I4 vs V6 Issues by sultaan(m): 10:38pm On Sep 19, 2012
There are minor issues its mainly users
Re: Honda EOD Users: I4 vs V6 Issues by exord: 1:21am On Sep 20, 2012
@sultaan,"minor issues" like......?if I may know,that makes one better than the other.
Re: Honda EOD Users: I4 vs V6 Issues by aasunmoh(m): 7:06am On Sep 20, 2012
Both 4cycl n V6 engine re good.all balls down to personal maintenance.d diff in btw is based on fuel economy n engine power.but overall d V6 is powerful n very durable with a good mechanic for its maintenance.
Re: Honda EOD Users: I4 vs V6 Issues by Areaboy2(m): 10:35pm On Sep 20, 2012
The inline 4 is pretty good if you're not a performance freak, I'll advice you to go for it.

Basically it comes down to performance and reliability.

As much as many people here will play down the reliability issues of a 2003-2005 Honda accord V6, they are indeed real. The major problem is with its transmission. I reckon Honda didn't make that gearbox robust enough for the output of a V6 engine. They eventually realised it and ordered a complete rebuild of the box for the later models. So you notice a reduction in tranny problems from later models. Have a look at the pictures below showing common Accord problems for the year range you have given. you can go the website below and look around as well

[img]http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg268/scaled.php?server=268&filename=2003xb.jpg&res=landing[/img]

[img]http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg840/scaled.php?server=840&filename=2004sy.jpg&res=landing[/img]

[img]http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg31/scaled.php?server=31&filename=2005f.jpg&res=landing[/img]

[img]http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg89/scaled.php?server=89&filename=2006p.jpg&res=landing[/img]

[img]http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg841/scaled.php?server=841&filename=2007gt.jpg&res=landing[/img]

http://www.hondaproblems.com/Accord/

http://www.carcomplaints.com/ <-- This is a general website for all other cars

I know it doesn't show V6 or Inline 4, but I can bet the V6 is the culprit here

I had a V6 2005 model back in 2009 or so. Enjoyed it and wouldn't drive anything less than a V6 but having had to change my gearbox once and rebuild it completely a second time, I have now become weary of V6 tranny problems. I wont buy without researching a complete history of the car from any source available. At the same time my kid brother had a 2004 I4 and the only problem he had was with engine seating (which he promptly replaced). That car still functions great today with nearly 200k miles on the dial.

My advice is go for the Accord Ex model where u get all the goodies of a V6 but the reliability of an I4.

3 Likes

Re: Honda EOD Users: I4 vs V6 Issues by exord: 10:34am On Sep 21, 2012
Fantastic contribution. I will also call your attention to the fact that taking a single sample for a complete review may not be absolute.
Likewise we have to consider the mentality and definition of 'car servicing' in Nigeria (for an example). People around here hardly check there gear oil (at least), amongst other things to check on a car. I still stand by the V6 as all cars are proned to issues largely resulting from poor maintenance.
Check out how many cars were re-called by toyota and that doesn't stop the 'low-mentality' of saying toyota is one of the most durable cars!!.(False!). Lack of expertise: a virus that has eaten so deep into our automoblie industry (a topic for discussion, I think).....lol.

1 Like

Re: Honda EOD Users: I4 vs V6 Issues by Areaboy2(m): 11:36am On Sep 21, 2012
exord: Fantastic contribution. I will also call your attention to the fact that taking a single sample for a complete review may not be absolute.
Likewise we have to consider the mentality and definition of 'car servicing' in Nigeria (for an example). People around here hardly check there gear oil (at least), amongst other things to check on a car. I still stand by the V6 as all cars are proned to issues largely resulting from poor maintenance.
Check out how many cars were re-called by toyota and that doesn't stop the 'low-mentality' of saying toyota is one of the most durable cars!!.(False!). Lack of expertise: a virus that has eaten so deep into our automoblie industry (a topic for discussion, I think).....lol.

Well, quite true and I agree with you for the most part. However the stats shown are for cars mostly in the US where they perform those checks properly and still the tranny issue was mind blowing.

Again, on the website there you can have an overall look at top 20 problem cars in the US and hey presto, 2003 Eod is in that list

For me, I will drive no other car in Nigeria asides a v6. My next car as soon as I go back will be a 2008 Acura TL Type S (A spec). The gear box is brand new from that line of acura and the design is even pretier that then new (2009 - date) acura look lipsrsealed which I loathe so much

So V6 all the way, but just be careful with 2003 - 2006 accord model V6 that's all I'm saying.
DIY also helps to make sure you know what your car is up to.

There are numerous forums for basically any car you can think of. Register yourself with any these forums and have a general view from people that own these cars and how they perform before you buy.
Re: Honda EOD Users: I4 vs V6 Issues by exord: 1:07pm On Sep 21, 2012
@area boy: Cool. I'm really not the one buying but I use a V6 2005 accord Ex which I'll be disposing soon to buy another V6! The car neva had a cough.
As per acura, its superb, both the sedan and the SUV. Got a 2002 acura too to sell off. All these cars had no single issues thru out d period of use.
Helped a friend with an MDX 08 and d car drives really nice too.
Good to have you here bro.
Dat ur name sha......lips sealed.
Re: Honda EOD Users: I4 vs V6 Issues by cecegorz(m): 12:03pm On Apr 08, 2013
Area_boy:

Well, quite true and I agree with you for the most part. However the stats shown are for cars mostly in the US where they perform those checks properly and still the tranny issue was mind blowing.

Again, on the website there you can have an overall look at top 20 problem cars in the US and hey presto, 2003 Eod is in that list

For me, I will drive no other car in Nigeria asides a v6. My next car as soon as I go back will be a 2008 Acura TL Type S (A spec). The gear box is brand new from that line of acura and the design is even pretier that then new (2009 - date) acura look lipsrsealed which I loathe so much

So V6 all the way, but just be careful with 2003 - 2006 accord model V6 that's all I'm saying.
DIY also helps to make sure you know what your car is up to.

There are numerous forums for basically any car you can think of. Register yourself with any these forums and have a general view from people that own these cars and how they perform before you buy.
The major culprits are actually 2003 - 2005 EODs, then 2008-2009. see http://www.hondaproblems.com/Accord/
2006-2007 seems to be the ones less prone to transmission issues.
Now the funny thing is when people go to Ladipo to buy fairly used transmission, how sure are you that you are not buying a 2003 spec that is also about to fail after it lasts another 5miles? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Honda EOD Users: I4 vs V6 Issues by toxxnoni(m): 4:09pm On Aug 28, 2018
Between honda accord 2005 (EOD) i4 and V6, which do you recommend for Uber or taxify
Re: Honda EOD Users: I4 vs V6 Issues by Nobody: 10:00pm On Aug 28, 2018
toxxnoni:
Between honda accord 2005 (EOD) i4 and V6, which do you recommend for Uber or taxify

No argument on this one.. got to be the I4 unless u want to spend all ur earnings on fuel and maintenance. Or better still a civic for maximum earnings. Now I know the rated mpg for the 4 cyl vs 6cl are 21 city/31 highway for the I4 and 19 city/28 highway for the V6. This might not sound like a big deal for some, but I have my reasons.

The I4 do not only has better gas mileage but costs less to maintain over a long period. It has just 1 catalytic converter and 2 02 sensors. The V6 on the other hand has 3 catalytic converters and 4 02 sensors. That is more things to worry about for an uber car. If one of the 02 sensor fails u are going to get very bad fuel economy. Then u have to worry about 3 catalytic converters instead of 1. and trust honda, when the catalyst gets blocked it will lead to loss of power and might knock the engine if not rectified quickly. I have used 4 different Hondas over 8 years. Personally I always prefer a V6 over I4, my current car is V6 (Honda product), but I won't use it for Uber.

3 Likes

Re: Honda EOD Users: I4 vs V6 Issues by dru23(m): 11:21pm On Aug 28, 2018
greenhulk:

No argument on this one.. got to be the I4 unless u want to spend all ur earnings on fuel and maintenance. Or better still a civic for maximum earnings. Now I know the rated mpg for the 4 cyl vs 6cl are 21 city/31 highway for the I4 and 19 city/28 highway for the V6. This might not sound like a big deal for some, but I have my reasons.

The I4 do not only has better gas mileage but costs less to maintain over a long period. It has just 1 catalytic converter and 2 02 sensors. The V6 on the other hand has 3 catalytic converters and 4 02 sensors. That is more things to worry about for an uber car. If one of the 02 sensor fails u are going to get very bad fuel economy. Then u have to worry about 3 catalytic converters instead of 1. and trust honda, when the catalyst gets blocked it will lead to loss of power and might knock the engine if not rectified quickly. I have used 4 different Hondas over 8 years. Personally I always prefer a V6 over I4, my current car is V6 (Honda product), but I won't use it for Uber.

To my uber partners.. More on the importance of oil

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.carlotz.com/blog/regular-vs-synthetic-oil-which-is-right-for-your-car/&ved=2ahUKEwiZ6K7345DdAhWrT98KHWDeCCUQFjAUegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw1gyTARfmjiZtsBDHqZpgv0
Re: Honda EOD Users: I4 vs V6 Issues by ugreat(m): 12:21pm On Aug 29, 2018
Re: Honda EOD Users: I4 vs V6 Issues by dru23(m): 1:00pm On Aug 29, 2018
ugreat:

Stop spamming everywhere with your oil post

(1) (Reply)

BiCX Bike Makes Riding Fun: A Self-Charging Ride / Which Is D Best Golf 4? 1.6, 1.8 Or 2.0 / How Reliable Is Nissan Pathfinder

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.