Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,265 members, 7,836,209 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:13 PM

Neil Armstrong's Remains Buried At Sea. - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Neil Armstrong's Remains Buried At Sea. (16745 Views)

Mr. Ibu - “I Want To Be Buried At Stamford-Bridge” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Neil Armstrong's Remains Buried At Sea. by webaplanet(m): 9:36am On Sep 15, 2012
Remains of astronaut legend Neil Armstrong buried at sea

Agence France-Presse
Posted at 09/15/2012 8:44 AM | Updated as of 09/15/2012 8:44 AM

WASHINGTON - The cremated remains of legendary American astronaut Neil Armstrong were scattered at sea Friday, in a ceremony aboard a US aircraft carrier paying final tribute to the first man to set foot on the moon, NASA said.

US Navy personnel carried Armstrong's remains to the Atlantic Ocean one day after a somber memorial ceremony at the Washington National Cathedral for the famously reserved Apollo 11 commander, who died August 25 at the age of 82.

Armstrong's widow Carol was presented an American flag at the ceremony aboard the USS Philippine Sea that included a bugler and rifle salute.

"Neil will always be remembered for taking humankind's first small step on another world," NASA Administrator Charles Bolden said at the National Cathedral service.

"But it was the courage, grace and humility he displayed throughout his life that lifted him above the stars."

Armstrong's Apollo 11 crew mates Michael Collins and Buzz Aldrin, Eugene Cernan -- the Apollo 17 mission commander and last man to walk on the moon -- attended the memorial service.

Also present Thursday was John Glenn, the former US senator and first American to orbit the Earth.

Armstrong came to be known around the world for the immortal words he uttered on July 20, 1969, as he became the first person ever to step onto another body in space: "That's one small step for (a) man, one giant leap for mankind."

© 1994-2012 Agence France-Presse
http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/global-filipino/world/09/15/12/remains-astronaut-legend-neil-armstrong-buried-sea
for a collection of wacky news and events visit the blog http://

1 Like

Re: Neil Armstrong's Remains Buried At Sea. by k2039: 9:48am On Sep 15, 2012
I thought he would be buried on the moon.
Funerals and burials are already expensive enough,so I guess it will be extremely expensive to bury him on the moon and a bit far for the mourners to go as well.

3 Likes

Re: Neil Armstrong's Remains Buried At Sea. by Nobody: 4:17pm On Sep 15, 2012
k2039: I thought he would be buried on the moon.
Funerals and burials are already expensive enough,so I guess it will be extremely expensive to bury him on the moon and a bit far for the mourners to go as well.

Lmao at the bolded...

They gave him the 'Osama' treatment.. grin
Re: Neil Armstrong's Remains Buried At Sea. by Nobody: 4:26pm On Sep 15, 2012
is it kind of occultic practice? just wondering. any one thinking the same? cos I don't understand any burial reason for a great legend like that when he is not a family of Osama bin laden?
Re: Neil Armstrong's Remains Buried At Sea. by TrustZee(m): 4:26pm On Sep 15, 2012
Soon burial in water wud b adopted in 9ja...

2 Likes

Re: Neil Armstrong's Remains Buried At Sea. by chiboy11(m): 4:26pm On Sep 15, 2012
Here s america 4u,both d dead n leavin s well respected,naija s a diff stori,even d guy dat draw nigeria flag I gues akinkumi s alive leavng in abjet poverty,God help us all

2 Likes

Re: Neil Armstrong's Remains Buried At Sea. by manitobor(m): 4:28pm On Sep 15, 2012
I don't get. Why bury the man at sea? This ain't right. I really doubt he made that request when he was alive. I do not subsribe to the idea of cremation, I think its barbaric.

1 Like

Re: Neil Armstrong's Remains Buried At Sea. by Revolva(m): 4:30pm On Sep 15, 2012
Yes creamated and remains at the sea - very open folks not all our african and arabs over religious folks - am sure late neil was a scientologist am sure
Re: Neil Armstrong's Remains Buried At Sea. by decrox199(m): 4:40pm On Sep 15, 2012
embarassedY Not buried on d sun dis time?dat wud av completed his assignment..
Re: Neil Armstrong's Remains Buried At Sea. by Coleslove: 4:41pm On Sep 15, 2012
Ok. Noted.
Re: Neil Armstrong's Remains Buried At Sea. by aryzgreat: 4:44pm On Sep 15, 2012
Don't think i will ever go to bar beach again, all these creamated bodies will definitely be washed towards the shores and we swim into burnt bodies, kai! angry angry angry, wot about people that take these seas as source of drinking water? nna mehn! did is very unhygenic

5 Likes

Re: Neil Armstrong's Remains Buried At Sea. by mrrock: 4:48pm On Sep 15, 2012
Wasn't Yuri Gagarin (Russian) the first man on the moon?
Re: Neil Armstrong's Remains Buried At Sea. by Nobody: 4:56pm On Sep 15, 2012
mrrock: Wasn't Yuri Gagarin (Russian) the first man on the moon?

no, was the first man in space

1 Like

Re: Neil Armstrong's Remains Buried At Sea. by OmoTier1(m): 5:03pm On Sep 15, 2012
Joins the list of those whose remains will awake from the sea on that great day! So at the end, the supposedly first man to set his foot on Moon surface is given same dead end as Osama? Shows you were America as a nation is heading
Re: Neil Armstrong's Remains Buried At Sea. by sylve11: 5:13pm On Sep 15, 2012
Journey well Mr. Neil Armstrong! sad cool
Re: Neil Armstrong's Remains Buried At Sea. by masterpiecer(m): 5:19pm On Sep 15, 2012
Since he is buried in d atlantic, where exactly can we say his grave/tomb is? undecided
Re: Neil Armstrong's Remains Buried At Sea. by amiskurie(m): 5:22pm On Sep 15, 2012
Cremated,bury at sea...hw?maybe be hmmm..sh1t! lipsrsealed
Re: Neil Armstrong's Remains Buried At Sea. by davades(m): 5:29pm On Sep 15, 2012
mrrock: Wasn't Yuri Gagarin (Russian) the first man on the moon?

Nope, he's the 1st man to walk in the moon
Re: Neil Armstrong's Remains Buried At Sea. by temujin1234: 5:43pm On Sep 15, 2012
Rest in Peace, Neil Armstrong.
Re: Neil Armstrong's Remains Buried At Sea. by Nobody: 5:51pm On Sep 15, 2012
What's with this new method of Burying the dead? undecided
Re: Neil Armstrong's Remains Buried At Sea. by Nobody: 5:52pm On Sep 15, 2012
The decisn to be cremated must hve bin made by him b4 his death o,America did nt make d decisn.crematn happens everyday and d ashes culd be stored or scattered away.

1 Like

Re: Neil Armstrong's Remains Buried At Sea. by slimming: 5:54pm On Sep 15, 2012
wonderful
Re: Neil Armstrong's Remains Buried At Sea. by Nobody: 5:55pm On Sep 15, 2012
TrustZee: Soon burial in water wud b adopted in 9ja...
na im be say all the fish for river go begin chop human being!
Re: Neil Armstrong's Remains Buried At Sea. by mikron(m): 6:09pm On Sep 15, 2012
RIP
Re: Neil Armstrong's Remains Buried At Sea. by greaterlove(m): 6:11pm On Sep 15, 2012
please guys i need more info on this, i have been watching a video to prove that man never walked on the moon, that all was staged in the studio. it is been argued that after more than 40yrs of man landing on the moon man we have not been able to carry out another mission like it even with the avancement of technology. that america tricked the world because of its race with the USSR for dominance and since USSR has sent man out of space America needs to come up with something. are this claims true or is it just a conspiracy theory.

2 Likes

Re: Neil Armstrong's Remains Buried At Sea. by Onyenna(m): 6:24pm On Sep 15, 2012
RIP Neil........
"That's one small step for (a) man, one giant leap for mankind.".....immortal words indeed....

.....you'll forever be remembered....

1 Like

Re: Neil Armstrong's Remains Buried At Sea. by IYANGBALI: 6:32pm On Sep 15, 2012
berem: na im be say all the fish for river go begin chop human being!
and if dem no see dead body chop for sea again,dem go begin come out to look for human beings to chop,i pity people wey dey live near bar beach and sea

1 Like

Re: Neil Armstrong's Remains Buried At Sea. by Nobody: 6:32pm On Sep 15, 2012
the moon should have been better, RIP.
Re: Neil Armstrong's Remains Buried At Sea. by Siga: 6:34pm On Sep 15, 2012
I know no one has no say into where he should be buried and maybe he already have it on his WILL to be buried at sea....but come on...a legend like him that did what no one can never repeat, the sea is wrong even if the guy put am down for hin final message....dem suppose burial am for NASA headquarters at least....make all man wey come see where the first man to step foot on the moon dey....

2 Likes

Re: Neil Armstrong's Remains Buried At Sea. by GenOrumov: 6:39pm On Sep 15, 2012
And what's wrong with cremation? Whether You get buried or burnt, your body will still decay so why the fuss. Don't you realise that When you're dead, you cease to exist therefore unconscious of your surrounding. I'm looking forward to when we will start adopting that form of burial in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Neil Armstrong's Remains Buried At Sea. by Pgent1(m): 6:42pm On Sep 15, 2012
greaterlove: please guys i need more info on this, i have been watching a video to prove that man never walked on the moon, that all was staged in the studio. it is been argued that after more than 40yrs of man landing on the moon man we have not been able to carry out another mission like it even with the avancement of technology. that america tricked the world because of its race with the USSR for dominance and since USSR has sent man out of space America needs to come up with something. are this claims true or is it just a conspiracy theory.
why would u allow some stupid documentry bore out of hatred for america outsmart you?

2 Likes

Re: Neil Armstrong's Remains Buried At Sea. by adoniza(m): 7:02pm On Sep 15, 2012
So Long Nail Armstrong. You will be Remembered.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Solidstar: "I Hawked Pure Water And Puff Puff To Survive" / Falz shows off his Voters Card (photos) / Sandra Ikoku Nwugo,fashanu & Rachel Bakam Honoured In Uk & South Africa(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.