Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,411 members, 7,815,918 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:59 PM

English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? (23292 Views)

100 Public Speaking Tips [FREE Ebook] / Home Practice Secret Of Starting Public Speaking / New Nigerian Writing Versus Old Nigerian Writing. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by Obassy(f): 9:22pm On Sep 24, 2012
ebamma: What are you talk about,writing english is greater than speaking english
OMG, u can't be serious...............shockedcheesycheesycheesy Funny..............
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by Wallie(m): 9:23pm On Sep 24, 2012
Do you know that francophones also make fun of French grammatical errors? grin

English is hard, period! I think minor grammatical errors can/should be easily overlooked but if you start firing RPGs or sub-machine guns, one might have no choice but to duck for cover!
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by ignis: 9:59pm On Sep 24, 2012
free2ryhme:

None is difficult!
Must you quote the whole thread just to write 3 words?
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by fortyfeet(m): 10:07pm On Sep 24, 2012
chucky234: Writing English is more harder compare to writing?
Even two comparative (more harder). Smells!
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by NikkyGold1(f): 10:08pm On Sep 24, 2012
donigspain:
Oh really, u wanna give it a try?
Vouley-vouz danser avec moi, mon amour?
Je ne veux pas danser kiss Merci
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by NikkyGold1(f): 10:10pm On Sep 24, 2012
chucky234: Wetin come concern written/spoken English with French,na for here you wan show those fake french wey you thief for your younger sister mouth abi.
grin
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by fortyfeet(m): 10:13pm On Sep 24, 2012
They are both hard. You only have the advantage of correcting yourself in written english, and that is still when you know it.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by adefash(m): 10:18pm On Sep 24, 2012
shymexx:

Bwahahaha

You can read most of the posts from my old handle and this handle, I wrote the leading articles/essays in most of the threads on there... I write epistle when I need to - and I don't use big words, I use words words that're intelligible to most people... Am I not the type to force anything, I just let it flow - from formal English, to urban English...

The most important thing about language is your ability to communicate, not your ability to sound overly intelligent... That's why I laugh at folks on here who associate thesaurus words, with intelligence, or ability to write the language... And one reason why most Nigerians fail in Unis in the UK...

Another thing is verbosity, some write a lot without actually saying anything... So, it's better to keep it simple, precise, and intelligible to everyone...

Hope that helps.. wink
well said! If you took time to understand the whole of my post and not only the part that concerns u only, you would have understood me better. As much as i give careful thoughts to my spoken and written english as an engineer, i still make mistakes.what i am advocating here is the way we enslave ourselves in this country because of another man's things worry me alot.if britons have their version of english, americans have theirs, i dont see any reason why we can have ours.if communicating in pidgin will make a better communication, why cant we adopt it? I have listened to lebanesse and chinese speak and they speak pidgin, not all of them though, yet they make good connection.
I dont think there's anything wrong if i speak anywhere in the world and ppl can tell where i come from. A brother's friend called me from australlia sometimes ago. I found it difficult hearing him clearly.at the same time i wanted to speak the way he was speaking so he would hear me clearly. I told myself that why should i strain my ears to hear this man and still twist my tongue for him to hear me.i shouldnt be the slave here.as much as i find it difficult hearing u, u should find it difficult to hear me too.
I'm not against those who give careful thoughts to their grammatical expression but please dont let us feel like second class citizens on our land simply because we cant speak fluently an imported language. You will agree with me that it is imported religion that is causing problem we are facing here in this country.i am not against your expartise bro!
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by greatgod2012(f): 10:30pm On Sep 24, 2012
i think both are easy for me,but that is not to say, i dont make mistakes, we are all humans, and we are prone to mistakes.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by Limaoscar: 10:44pm On Sep 24, 2012
O.k, guys...this is how it goes down in naija.
Ready...

1. Yoruba man : Let him not speak in Public for too long,you'd be missing a lot of alphabets like Sir sina peters wishing king Sunny Ade "soonest Recover" Just let the yoruba keep writing especially if it has a lot of arithmetical calculations...ehn..hennnnn
2. Ibo man: Enjoys a lot of verbal exchanges and translates his local language into English language if He's stuck on words but don't let him write anything...He has no patience when it comes to writing. please don't bring Achebe or Chimamanda Adichie into this o.k.
3. Mallam: Hmmmmm.....likes to switch vowels, has very poor labio-dental phonetics and finds nothing absolutely wrong with saying "phiful"...etct. Ask him to pen down His thoughts and He switches into Arabic..

NB:I beg na play i dey play o!cheesycheesy
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by Merrymaker: 1:12am On Sep 25, 2012
4 me frm personal experience d verbal part.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by Ranoscky(m): 3:47am On Sep 25, 2012
Engilisi.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by linearity: 5:26am On Sep 25, 2012
Writing English is far easier than speaking until you relocate and come to places like the USA.....you will start regretting those days you skip oral English class in secondary school and have to be forced into the rudiments of pronunciations, etc again...and each time you speak...people will be looking at you confused and the ones who cares...will ask you to repeat yourself over and over again...
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by FrontPageLawyer(m): 6:29am On Sep 25, 2012
Kakability: Thank God say you notice am. Me i go only settle to my pidgin english to avoid mistakes that hurts. Lol

Yes I was wrong, I stand corrected. @kakability, you can never avoid them, "abi na pidgin u dey speak for work" even journalist make mistakes both in speaking and writing. Speak it, write it the way you can regardless of your weaknesses, we have English professors on Nairaland that will always correct you. After all no one is flogging you.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by chinwewale: 7:42am On Sep 25, 2012
Mikocake: this reminds me of a chick i once chiked. she got annoyed along the conversation and said angrily; told me what u want to told me, rain is caming i want to left, and i replied; left. na..lol

Na lie!!!! :=))
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by ignis: 7:51am On Sep 25, 2012
fortyfeet:
Even two comparative (more harder). Smells!
LOL
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by Nobody: 8:47am On Sep 25, 2012
I disagree; there are words you write correctly but wen you pronounce dem, you 'll realize you are pronouncing dem wrongly. If you are fluent enof, writing shudnt be your problem.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by seedorfabbey: 10:09am On Sep 25, 2012
Writing is more difficult than speaking
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by Emmawhite14(m): 10:13am On Sep 25, 2012
justwise:

Dam!! grin grin
Not Dam but Damn, i can see reasons why writing is more difficult than speaking. Hmmmm! English wahala,thank God isn't my mother's tongue.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by adefash(m): 10:18am On Sep 25, 2012
FrontPageLawyer:

Yes I was wrong, I stand corrected. @kakability, you can never avoid them, "abi na pidgin u dey speak for work" even journalist make mistakes both in speaking and writing. Speak it, write it the way you can regardless of your weaknesses, we have English professors on Nairaland that will always correct you. After all no one is flogging you.
why should english professors correct my grammatical expression? Why? They took time to study english.fine.i took time to study engineering. Should i humiliate a graduate of english who doesnt know chemical formular of salt to be NACL when we were all thought in elementary science? A professor of english should only correct a co-professor who is expected to be in command of english or his subordinate who aspires to be like him and not me because i have chosen my own career.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by b0y(m): 10:43am On Sep 25, 2012
spicy v:

My exact thoughts! I mean if after being careful before posting, such errors where unnoticed, the OP has clearly proven that written is certainly more difficult than spoken.

Dude, It's 'were' and not 'where'...and u further aver the point that written could be more of a difficult task than spoken
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by Matrin(m): 10:53am On Sep 25, 2012
afam4eva:
Majority of Nigerians can't even speak good English to start with...we speak it any how we like.
Including you o bros, u just spoke it anyhow.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by demmie1: 11:10am On Sep 25, 2012
lecturer@op, just let English be and focus on your own native language, I wonder if it has a written form. Go and develop it.
Girama no be my language.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by Afam4eva(m): 11:17am On Sep 25, 2012
Matrin: Including you o bros, u just spoke it anyhow.
Yeah, of course. Did you noticed how i use "We"?
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by olawaletaiwo(m): 11:19am On Sep 25, 2012
afam4eva: Writing is more difficult but i find both difficult.

both are very difficult, both in rual and urban area, even all over there world
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by spicyv1(f): 11:54am On Sep 25, 2012
b0y:

Dude, It's 'were' and not 'where'...and u further aver the point that written could be more of a difficult task than spoken

Boy, its Ma'am not dude! I agree, written requires much more effort. Thanks for the correction.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by chieveboy(m): 5:14pm On Sep 25, 2012
...but no need to force it...as in when ur been asked to say the closing prayer in church, and u neva finish cramm the prayer weh u jote keep--shud in case cheesy... this is wen u should speak as the spirit directs :Dnyieeehehehehehehehecheesycheesycheesy
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by chieveboy(m): 5:18pm On Sep 25, 2012
...well for me; Writing and Speaking hadn't been a problem, if not for my relocation to a non-English speaking city. You get to loose your spoken-English, and get a 'Mixed Accent'...
To a large extent l think ones ability depends(among others) on usage, social environment, dexterity, cordination, both of attitude/state of mind.
Buh some are good at both that they can fix themselves in all classes! first they 'rise to the occassion'; then decide 'its noh worth the effort' or 'this ain't it'--for the sake pete! And thats when ma second paragraph is at play--to an extent wink !!
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by CARLISTO77(m): 5:34pm On Sep 25, 2012
Solecism and cacology are the egregious factors that
are decaying the standard of both written and communicative
English. Many Folks tend to cover up their shortcomings by
putting up bathetic display of literal analphabetism.
While some would assume that written English is more
troublous than communicative one , is slanderous and fallacious in its
asseveration. Both are to be taken alike as far meticulousness is concerned.
As per written English, lots of factors are to be considered: viz typos,punctuations, proofreading,
as well as its embellishment; while on the other hand, communicative English is more of mental
and assiduous cordinations and constructions of words to meet communicating demands.
If one is thus good at written English, same goes as for communicative or oral Englsih.
The difference is that in the former, corrections are bargainable upon errors, while the latter
is subject to a cover-up or abscondence of errors.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by ignis: 9:49pm On Sep 25, 2012
olawaletaiwo:

both are very difficult, both in rual and urban area, even all over there world
I can see that reading and understanding english is more difficult to some people like the poster above.
The question is which is more difficult and he is saying that both are very difficult.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by Mikocake(m): 12:43am On Sep 26, 2012
CARLISTO77: Solecism and cacology are the egregious factors that
are decaying the standard of both written and communicative
English. Many Folks tend to cover up their shortcomings by
putting up bathetic display of literal analphabetism.
While some would assume that written English is more
troublous than communicative one , is slanderous and fallacious in its
asseveration. Both are to be taken alike as far meticulousness is concerned.
As per written English, lots of factors are to be considered: viz typos,punctuations, proofreading,
as well as its embellishment; while on the other hand, communicative English is more of mental
and assiduous cordinations and constructions of words to meet communicating demands.
If one is thus good at written English, same goes as for communicative or oral Englsih.
The difference is that in the former, corrections are bargainable upon errors, while the latter
is subject to a cover-up or abscondence of errors.

it is finished!! smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Intellectual Property Removed At Owner's Request / What Was The Last Book You Read? / 10 Silly Questions That Helped Shaped My Life .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.