Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,665 members, 7,955,403 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 04:02 AM

English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? - Literature (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? (23583 Views)

100 Public Speaking Tips [FREE Ebook] / Home Practice Secret Of Starting Public Speaking / New Nigerian Writing Versus Old Nigerian Writing. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by Canisma(m): 9:17am On Sep 26, 2012
Some of the peoples commenting here is suprising me too much a lot.
How can somebody compere speaking english with mere writing.
To write is too much simple and very easy.
But speaking can be very difficult because you has seconds to thought out what you wanted to spoke, as against writing where you have all the times in the world to thought out your thinking.
If writing english was difficult, i would never has got an A1 in my WAEC exams.
Speaking english is not easy at all.
I prefer writing a lot cos i know that i was a good writer.
THATS WHY MY FRIENDS CALL ME english professor.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by goofie: 9:30am On Sep 26, 2012
Canisma: Some of the peoples commenting here is suprising me too much a lot.
But speaking can be very difficult because you has seconds to thought out what you wanted to spoke, as against writing where you have all the times in the world to thought out your thinking.

lol...ur errors r too organizd jor!!
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by freecocoa(f): 9:41am On Sep 26, 2012
I can did this kinds of thing better than you. Another times tell me to help you learned it.tongue
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by goofie: 9:49am On Sep 26, 2012
writing is more difficult, no doubt.

d people that failed GES English courses in uni will tell u.

i learnt from studying English that writing is more difficult.

as someone alrdy said, the punctuations are enough headache.

then u also have to worry about not mixing up british and american spellings.

u have to worry about making sure that the nmeaning u intend is perceived by d reader, etc.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by macnuel: 10:01am On Sep 26, 2012
@Carlisto77 even with all the cacophony of words, I could still point out some errors in your post. Writing isn't easy at all. I support the motion. grin
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by goofie: 10:11am On Sep 26, 2012
Nikky Gold:
Je ne veux pas danser kiss Merci

u guys r showing off eh!! ok o
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by CARLISTO77(m): 10:37am On Sep 26, 2012
I am expecting you to point our my gaffes...
If otherwise, you must be a HIJO DE MIERDA.
I challenge whomsoever to dig out my errors,
I don't belong to your class.
Never you start a brawl you won't finish.
You look so askance to my liking; a retarded monoliguist like
you will be alluding to my gaffes; Do you think I belong to the wagons of nitwits
on this NL whom you can just mess up with! Stop your preposterousness before I lash
your nebulous and effete obstreperousness and lunacy.Untoward fool.

macnuel: @Carlisto77 even with all the cacophony of words, I could still point out some errors in your post. Writing isn't easy at all. I support the motion. grin
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by ignis: 11:22am On Sep 26, 2012
English professor with a comma
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by shaybebaby(f): 11:22am On Sep 26, 2012
Funny, I'm currently studyng TEFL and from what I've gathered so far, the way we learnt the language in nigeria was the old school method, where more emphasis was placed on learning the rules of the language without focusing on the ability to use it effectively. The point of any language is to communicate effectively where your listener(audience) understands your message. The english language has evolved and today, you don't need to be grammatically correct, you simply need to be able to use the language in it's functional form in your everyday life.
For this reason, I suppose writing would be more difficult as the rules of grammar haven't changed and still need to be applied. The beauty of the language is that although it is very complex, it is forgiving of errors and like everything else practice makes perfect. The average nigerian can write better than they speak, why? Because very little emphasis is placed on pronounciation and hence almost every word used in sentences are said wrong. This is about phonectics which also makes up part of the language. On that score, majority fail.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by goofie: 12:55pm On Sep 26, 2012
shaybe baby: Funny, I'm currently studyng TEFL and from what I've gathered so far, the way we learnt the language in nigeria was the old school method, where more emphasis was placed on learning the rules of the language without focusing on the ability to use it effectively. The point of any language is to communicate effectively where your listener(audience) understands your message. The english language has evolved and today, you don't need to be grammatically correct, you simply need to be able to use the language in it's functional form in your everyday life.
For this reason, I suppose writing would be more difficult as the rules of grammar haven't changed and still need to be applied. The beauty of the language is that although it is very complex, it is forgiving of errors and like everything else practice makes perfect. The average nigerian can write better than they speak, why? Because very little emphasis is placed on pronounciation and hence almost every word used in sentences are said wrong. This is about phonectics which also makes up part of the language. On that score, majority fail.

nice write up but i beg to disagree especially about the fact where u said majority of Nigerians write better than they speak.

i taught English language to Senior secondary students during my service year. i thot i had a problem with their speaking till i started giving them essay writing assignments to improve on their vocabulary. the words they could pronounce, they couldnt spell and their punctuations were either misplaced or invisible.

also at work, after talking to some customers and i bliv that they hv spoken well, writing for them is always a problem. its hard to match the spoken words with the written.u wld be surprised that spelling "insurance" becomes a problem.

i believe writing is way harder because of semantics, punctuations,spellings,etc.

1 Like

Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by shaybebaby(f): 3:21pm On Sep 26, 2012
Goofie, I said the average nigerian. For those who have some sort of education, this is the case. For those who are poorly educated, their writing is on par with their speaking. For example, ask a nigerian to pronounce "work". What they'll say is "wok" which is the same way they'll pronounce "walk" and there is a such a thing as a "wok" in it's self. This is something that majority fail, from those who consider themselves to be good at the language to those who barely have the grasp of it.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by Nobody: 4:17pm On Sep 26, 2012
CARLISTO77: I am expecting you to point our my gaffes...
If otherwise, you must be a HIJO DE MIERDA.
I challenge whomsoever to dig out my errors,
I don't belong to your class.
Never you start a brawl you won't finish.
You look so askance to my liking; a retarded monoliguist like
you will be alluding to my gaffes; Do you think I belong to the wagons of nitwits
on this NL whom you can just mess up with! Stop your preposterousness before I lash
your nebulous and effete obstreperousness and lunacy.Untoward fool.

Boy!
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by VivyGift(f): 5:52pm On Sep 26, 2012
donigspain:
Please, try and reference the author cuz she might be somewhere around. Believe me, you don't wanna get on her nerves.
**whispering**
I learnt she's a Yaba Left alumna wink cheesy

ode
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by Kayzeetee(f): 10:47pm On Sep 26, 2012
I write with eaaase!.. wink
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by macnuel: 7:18pm On Oct 01, 2012
@Carlisto77 you make me laugh. And thanks I might be a monolinguist in your books but then simple errors fail your eyes and it's the "untoward fool" that notices it even in this last post of yours. I won't give you any clues. You search for it. Hehe. I laugh in pidgin.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by ayandee: 11:33am On Oct 05, 2012
Are you a voracious reader? Would you like to have more books delivered to your doorstep at affordable prices? Booksmart Ventures offers the following books for a token:

WHY YOU ACT THE WAY YOU DO BY TIM LAHAYE(N800)
RICH DAD, POOR Dad BY ROBERT KIYOSAKI(N600)
THE RICHEST MAN IN BABYLON (N600)
CONSPIRACY OF THE RICH BY ROBERT KIYOSAKI (N1200)
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING (N1000)
ACT LIKE A LADY, THINK LIKE A MAN (N1500)
LOVE AND RESPECT BY EMERSON (N1500)
THE MAFIA MANAGER (N700)
THE POWER OF A PRAYING WIFE BY STORMIE OMARTIAN (N900)
THE POWER OF A PRAYING HUSBAND BY STORMIE OMARTIAN (N900)
THE POWER OF A PRAYING WOMAN BY STORMIE OMARTIAN (N900)
THE POWER OF A PRAYING PARENT BY STORMIE OMARTIAN (N900)
INTENDED FOR PLEASURE (N1500)
ANSWERS FOR YOUR MARRIAGE BY BRUCE AND CAROL (1000)
SPIRIT OF LEADERSHIP BY MYLES MONROE (N1300)
BECOMING A LEADER BY MYLES MONROE (N800)
HIS NEEDS, HER NEEDS BY WILLIAM HARLEY (N1500)
ACT OF MARRIAGE BY TIM AND BEVERLY LAHAYE (N1000)
HOW TO WRITE REPORTS AND PROPOSALS (N700)
EVERYDAY A FRIDAY BY JOEL OSTEEN (N1200)
GIFTED HANDS BY BEN CARSON (N700)
HOW TO BE RICH BY NAPOLEON HILL (N1000)
AS A MAN THINKETH (N1000)
NEVER GIVE UP BY JOYCE MEYER (N1000)
BATTLEFIELD OF THE MIND BY JOYCE MEYER (N800)
LIVING BEYOND YOUR FEELINGS BY JOYCE MEYER (N1000)
POWER OF BEING A WOMAN (N1300)
WHAT A MAN WANTS IN A WOMAN/WHAT A WOMAN WANTS IN A MAN (N1500)
TAKE THE RISK BY BEN CARSON (N700)
NO MORE SHEETS BY JUANITA BYNUM (N1500)
ME AND MY BIG MOUTH BY JOYCE MEYER (N1000)
BETTER EYESIGHT WITHOUT GLASSES (N1000)
THE MAGIC LADDER OF SUCCESS (N1000)
HOW TO MAKE IT BIG AS A CONSULTANT (N2000)
BECOME A BETTER YOU BY JOEL OSTEEN (N1000)
ART OF WAR BY SUN TZU
DESTINED TO REIGN BY JOSEPH PRINCE (N1200)
12 STEPS TO BECOMING A MORE ORGANISED WOMAN (N800)
WHY ASK WHY BY JOHN MASON (N600)
HOW TO WIN FRIENDS BY DALE CARNEGIE (N700)
HE-MOTIONS BY TD JAKES (N1500)
21 MOST POWERFUL MINUTES IN A LEADER’S LIFE BY JOHN MAXWELL (N1200)
THE LADY HER LOVER AND HER LORD BY TD JAKES (N1200)
SUPERNATURAL CHILDBIRTH (N900)
SEVEN THINGS THAT STEAL YOUR JOY BY JOYCE MEYER (N1000)
100 BEST LOVED BIBLE STORIES FOR CHILDREN (N1500)
LOOK GREAT FEEL GREAT BY JOYCE MEYER (N1000)
WHEN FAITH SEEMS WEAK AND VICTORY LOST BY KENNETH HAGIN (N900)
HOW TO CHOOSE THE SEX OF YOUR CHILD (N1500)
I BELIEVE IN VISION (N900)
SOLOMON’S SECRET (N1000)
GOD’S PLAN FOR YOUR MONEY (N800)
OUTLIERS BY MALCOLM GLADWELL(N1500)
TIPPING POINT BY MALCOLM GLADWELL (N1200)
THE BIG PICTURE BY BEN CARSON (N1000)

REPOSITION YOURSELF BY TD JAKES (N1000)
DREAM SEED BY MIKE MURDOCH (N900)
7 HABITS OF HIGHLY EFFECTIVE PEOPLE (1200)
FOLLOWING GOD’S PLAN FOR YOUR LIFE (N900)
RULES OF WORK BY RICHARD TEMPLAR (N1000)
HOW YOU CAN BE LED BY THE SPIRIT OF GOD (N900)
48 LAWS OF POWER (1500)
21 LAWS OF LEADERSHIP (1000)
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING (N900)
THE PURPOSE DRIVEN LIFE BY RICK WARREN (N1200)
BUSINESS SCHOOL BY ROBERT KIYOSAKI (N1000)

Cost of delivery within Lagos is N500. We combine orders so you save more on delivery if you order two or more books. 24 hour delivery within Lagos. You do not have to pay ahead of delivery. Only ensure you have the right amount of cash when the delivery agent comes around.CALL 08029440614, 08084244904

Booksmart Ventures (...at your service)
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by Nobody: 12:52pm On Mar 28, 2019
It is all depends on what you have pointed at school. We have a strong grammar base thanks to this site. But speaking was always hard for me.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by vickvan(m): 8:44am On Mar 29, 2019
I find it very simple to comunicate via writing than speaking. Who is with me on my point of view?
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by Dasilva10: 11:39am On Mar 29, 2019
Basic:
Writing is far more difficult than speaking. Punctuation alone takes time to learn. When you're speaking, you don't add "comma" or "full-stop". But in your writing, you must show how well you can use punctuations.
Punctuating as been my problem for a long time now. I'm a fluent speaker of the language and I sound so good like a certified News anchor.� However, I need to acknowledge the truthfulness of this statement you just made with me being a living testifyer to it. Written english is indeed the tougher part of the english communication measures. Besides, I want to be a learned counsel in the coming future who'll do justice to matters via a mind blowing run of a good communication skill and intelligence .
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by ajahexcel(m): 5:19pm On May 07, 2019
Speaking is easier although each of us have our preferences , I may like animation , while you love real movies

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Top 5 Beaches In Lagos / What Was The Last Book You Read? / The Sex Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.