Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,181 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:28 AM

Are Hausas Still The Largest Tribe In Naija? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are Hausas Still The Largest Tribe In Naija? (2896 Views)

Hausas And Fulanis In Enugu Taking Refuge In Army Barracks - Ekweremmadu / Buhari Confused South East Geopolitical Zone with Igbo Tribe in his Media Chat / Kanuris, Fulanis, And Hausas Are Boko Haram—sheikh Ahmad Gumi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Hausas Still The Largest Tribe In Naija? by Nobody: 7:48pm On Sep 16, 2012
Viewing this topic: FSU, Ileke-IdI, Elueme, Ngodigha1(m) and 3 guest(s)

This is about to get interesting. wink
Re: Are Hausas Still The Largest Tribe In Naija? by Rossikk(m): 7:53pm On Sep 16, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

"Miseducated" slag. . . SEEMS LIKE YOU REALLY ENJOY BEING INSULTED. Go back to your gf/wife so she can further tell your how much of a silly excuse for a Y-chromosome you are.

We know you have a lot of men to go back to.
Re: Are Hausas Still The Largest Tribe In Naija? by Nobody: 7:56pm On Sep 16, 2012
Rossikk:

We know you have a lot of men to go back to.

Wish you were one of them? Sorry, I don't deal with cigarette buds.
Re: Are Hausas Still The Largest Tribe In Naija? by Rossikk(m): 7:58pm On Sep 16, 2012
^^ You're that picky? Word on NL is you're a free dispenser.
Re: Are Hausas Still The Largest Tribe In Naija? by Nobody: 8:01pm On Sep 16, 2012
Rossikk: ^^ You're that picky? Word on NL is you're a free dispenser.

Wow, so the grapevine has grown that large. A free dispenser and a free dispensee. The same grapevine should have told you that there is a limit. There's a discrimination when it comes to likkle men with cigarette buds using insults as a substitution for the balls they never had.
Re: Are Hausas Still The Largest Tribe In Naija? by Desola(f): 8:07pm On Sep 16, 2012
fstranger: I understand most of what you know about Nigeria is from your d/u/m/b parents. The rest, you picked up here on NL from people more confused than you.

Just so you know, Hausas were never the largest tribe in Nigeria.

###Odeski

oloshi ni iwo bobo yi o, ki lo gbe, ki lo ju?
Re: Are Hausas Still The Largest Tribe In Naija? by Rossikk(m): 8:08pm On Sep 16, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Wow, so the grapevine has grown that large. A free dispenser and a free dispensee. The same grapevine should have told you that there is a limit.

The grapevine says your limit is 100 a day.

There's a discrimination when it comes to likkle men with cigarette buds using insults as a substitution for the balls they never had.

I heard you stop discriminating after the first 10.
Re: Are Hausas Still The Largest Tribe In Naija? by Nobody: 8:10pm On Sep 16, 2012
Rossikk:

The grapevine says your limit is 100 a day.

200 a day? That's 600 less than your mother does in 1 hour. But then, the grapevine didnt tell you that too, did it?

Rossikk:
I heard you stop discriminating after the first 10.

But still not enough to give your cigarette bud a smoke. I cant smoke what is shorter than my pinkie.
Re: Are Hausas Still The Largest Tribe In Naija? by saintneo(m): 8:53pm On Sep 16, 2012
make love people not war

Re: Are Hausas Still The Largest Tribe In Naija? by Rossikk(m): 9:22pm On Sep 16, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

200 a day? That's 600 less than your mother does in 1 hour. But then, the grapevine didnt tell you that too, did it?

Yawn...Nobody wants your mum cos she never takes a shower...

But still not enough to give your cigarette bud a smoke. I cant smoke what is shorter than my pinkie.

I think your pinkie's got far deeper issues to worry about, such as its next likely encounter with water and soap.
Re: Are Hausas Still The Largest Tribe In Naija? by Nobody: 9:24pm On Sep 16, 2012
Rossikk:

Yawn...Nobody wants your mum cos she never takes a shower...

I think your pinkie's got far deeper issues to worry about, such as its next likely encounter with water and soap.

Weak comeback, I'll give you another chance to try again.
Seems like everything about you is weak. . . .if you know what I mean.
Re: Are Hausas Still The Largest Tribe In Naija? by auwal87(m): 9:26pm On Sep 16, 2012
Confused Southerners Babblingggg cool
Re: Are Hausas Still The Largest Tribe In Naija? by ektbear: 10:29pm On Sep 16, 2012
All of this because of the use of the word "tribe?"

Among other Nigerians, for that matter?

Is it that serious?
Re: Are Hausas Still The Largest Tribe In Naija? by DanKan0: 10:31pm On Sep 16, 2012
Hausa as it is seen now is not a tribe, It is more like an identity. Theres far more people that 'used' to be Fulani under Hausa than true Hausa. True hausa is pretty much dead in naija except the Maguzawa mainly.
Re: Are Hausas Still The Largest Tribe In Naija? by Arsenate(m): 11:31pm On Sep 16, 2012
auwal87: Confused Southerners Babblingggg cool
as always, lolzzz... grin
Re: Are Hausas Still The Largest Tribe In Naija? by ayobase(m): 7:22am On Sep 17, 2012
What a knock-out, I give it to Ileke after the MIC battle with Rossik...
But, u still need to take into congnizance as I have taken also, that it is not tribe, but Ethnic group!
We all learn everyday......but didnt see any biggie in it to have caused calling of Mama!
Re: Are Hausas Still The Largest Tribe In Naija? by doncartel: 8:56am On Sep 17, 2012
I also have to give it to Ileke.Truth is that a proper census can not be carried out in Nigeria for now.So lets just say that the three major tribes are equal.loooolz
Re: Are Hausas Still The Largest Tribe In Naija? by Nobody: 3:50am On Sep 18, 2012
fstranger: ^^^

You dont even understand your own post so I am not surprised you seem very confused about Ekt_bear's analysis.

###person!
lol, dude has a crush on Ileke-IdI.....grin grin cool
Re: Are Hausas Still The Largest Tribe In Naija? by fstranger: 3:53am On Sep 18, 2012
Shollypopz:
lol, dude has a crush on Ileke-IdI.....grin grin cool

Trust me, I do. Anytime, in the few times, I come across her senseless posts, I feel like crushing her. grin grin grin
Re: Are Hausas Still The Largest Tribe In Naija? by Okijajuju1(m): 11:21am On Sep 18, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
I mean, all these killings wey dem don dey do in the North nko?

Havent they decreased their numbers by now? Who is truly the largest tribe in Nigeria?

Let's stop the illusion, we all know the north is close to deserted with a few cows here and there.

Boko Haram is a PDP agenda to drastically reduce the Population of the Northerners, hence reducing the Chances of CPC and the North in the 2015 Presidential Elections.
Re: Are Hausas Still The Largest Tribe In Naija? by Slimboy94(m): 11:26am On Sep 18, 2012
U knw wat? U pple sould wait 4 boko haram if they ar thru with their killings
Nigeria should conduct another census
Then u can decide the most populated tribe....
And mind u i don't think its hausa cos hausa and fulani are two different tribe!
Re: Are Hausas Still The Largest Tribe In Naija? by Slimboy94(m): 11:28am On Sep 18, 2012
U knw wat? U pple sould wait 4 boko haram if they ar thru with their killings
Nigeria should conduct another census
Then u can decide the most populated tribe....
And mind u i don't think its hausa cos hausa and fulani are two different tribe!!!
Re: Are Hausas Still The Largest Tribe In Naija? by Afam4eva(m): 11:42am On Sep 18, 2012
Hausa has never been the largest ethnic group. It's been one of the biggest lie that still lives in the mind of the average Nigerian. Btw, Hausa has gone from being an ethnic group to being the identity of the average northerner. But the hausas themselves may not even be up to 10million. I'm waiting fro the day a true ethnic census will be conducted in this country that will be devoid of rigging.
Re: Are Hausas Still The Largest Tribe In Naija? by afribookorg(m): 8:30am On Dec 03, 2013
Hmm
Re: Are Hausas Still The Largest Tribe In Naija? by Adaviruqu: 10:56am On Dec 03, 2013
Afam4eva: Hausa has never been the largest ethnic group. It's been one of the biggest lie that still lives in the mind of the average Nigerian. Btw, Hausa has gone from being an ethnic group to being the identity of the average northerner. But the hausas themselves may not even be up to 10million. I'm waiting fro the day a true ethnic census will be conducted in this country that will be devoid of rigging.

I am mostly surprise at the way you southern folks exhibit ''I know too much" and yet you make this kind of summation of hausa population not up to 10m. If you hate people does that mean you should not be thruthful in your presentation.
Re: Are Hausas Still The Largest Tribe In Naija? by Afam4eva(m): 10:59am On Dec 03, 2013
Adaviruqu:

I am mostly surprise at the way you southern folks exhibit ''I know too much" and yet you make this kind of summation of hausa population not up to 10m. If you hate people does that mean you should not be thruthful in your presentation.
If you noticed in my post, i used MAY. It's not an absolute statement and i was only trying to paint the fact that the Hausa population may not be as much as people think. In Nigeria, a lot of people always use Hausa and Northerners interchangeably.
Re: Are Hausas Still The Largest Tribe In Naija? by Adaviruqu: 11:04am On Dec 03, 2013
Afam4eva:
If you noticed in my post, i used MAY. It's not an absolute statement and i was only trying to paint the fact that the Hausa population may not be as much as people think. In Nigeria, a lot of people always use Hausa and Northerners interchangeably.

Just as people in the north will assume that all the people from the former eastern region are igbos eh? Does that make them right in their assumption?
Re: Are Hausas Still The Largest Tribe In Naija? by Afam4eva(m): 11:07am On Dec 03, 2013
Adaviruqu:

Just as people in the north will assume that all the people from the former eastern region are igbos eh? Does that make them right in their assumption?
Aren't we talking about assumptions?
Re: Are Hausas Still The Largest Tribe In Naija? by mandarin: 11:14am On Dec 03, 2013
I think there is a general awareness about just everything among the new generation of Nigerians and this is a welcomed development. I read the how 'Nobody' and co dissected the Yoruba history and I learnt a lot from that post.Am still waiting to ,learn on some other Nigerian histories, thanks nairaland for this huge huge contribution, am almost becoming an addict.

On which is the largest ethnic group in Nigeria, I think its a sort of sensitive issue in Nigeria politics because the Northern states have always claimed to have larger populations than Southern states, a situation almost exclusively applicable to Nigeria in the whole world where more people reside in areas with lower economic activities, I think its being unrighteous.
Having been privileged to live in the north for a while and travelled across Nigeria, I should be able to draw some facts as good as possible.
We must accept that the core northern states are largely Muslims and practise polygamy but even in the south there are lots of polygamous families too especially in the West among the Yoruba ethnic group.Also, due to intermarriages the Hausa and Fulani have mixed a whole lots but there are other sub-groups of the Fulani that are still distinct and can obviously be distinguished from the Hausa. If the Hausa group is to be made separate from the Fulani group, then the Yoruba ethnic group will probably be the largest group before the Igbo or Hausa even going by the faulty official figures of 160 million( i don't believe Nigeria is up to that may be we are 130 million or so) the Fulani will be 2/5 of the Hausa-Fulani population going by the contested pre-independent census(skewed to give the north a majority...I WAS NOT THERE THOUGH) that will make the Fulani about 18,560,000(18.5m) today and the mainly Hausa group between 27,840,000(27.84m) and 30 million today while the Igbo group who lost a huge population during the war would be from 28.8 million today or roughly the same population with the Hausa ethnic group while the Yoruba will be something like 33.6 m to 42 million to probably be the largest single groups and that will include their ethnic groups in Kwara , Edo not Edo groups) and Kogi.
I think the Efik-Ibiobio -Anang group follows as the next largest group may be by up to 16 million people.
Ethnicity will continue to play a huge part in Nigeria politics until political restructuring that will give priority to ethnic identity is constructed and after a long while people will see more need in the outside groups and ethnicity will take a plunge! One f the reasons is the African identity system as at late as 19th century and the structure still on ground, democracy and federal structures as it is was an importation not well adapted to suit different parties.
I believe what Nigeria needs is not ethnicity but sound economic opportunities for its teeming citizens which is one of the ways to play down ethnic importance and achieve a well organized society.
Re: Are Hausas Still The Largest Tribe In Naija? by nduchucks: 11:15am On Dec 03, 2013
na who resurrect dis dumb thread
Re: Are Hausas Still The Largest Tribe In Naija? by Adaviruqu: 11:28am On Dec 03, 2013
Afam4eva:
Aren't we talking about assumptions?

Why assumptions on this? Because we just want to pull some people down by all means. My brother I have come to realise that some certain elements in this country have continue to promote ethnic hatred and division through offensive uterances and try to cajoles other ethnic nationalities against the so called hausas. Topics like this are sure one way to gauge our mind sets and to me we can never gain any thing positve from causing confusion and division in the country.
Re: Are Hausas Still The Largest Tribe In Naija? by Slizbeat(m): 12:10pm On Dec 03, 2013
I already knew that Hausas are not the largest ethnic group. I was at jigawa in 2006 when the census was conducted and I was counted but my state of Origin wasn't asked. I assume they counted me under the aegis of the Hausa-fulani ethnic group.

Let's tell ourselves the truth, Every ethnic group in Nigeria are being under counted to favour the hausas.

Niger(Country) has the largest number of the hausa ethnic group and hausas are not upto 15 million in Nigeria since they claim to be found in 10 west African countries and some few east African countries and over 1 million in Saudi Arabia.

Yoruba ethnic group is found in 3-5 countries across west Africa and Nigeria has the largest amount of them and I may authoritatively say they maybe the largest but lets check the last major ethnic group- the Igbos.

The Igbos are found only in Nigeria's former eastern region(not all Easterners as at then were Igbos) as Wikipedia would state but as at 2011, Wikipedia stated they are found in 3-4 west african countries and a few American countries along the Caribbean. But lemme make use of the present 1 country.
The Igbos yet are still found in every nooks and cronies of Nigeria in a considerable large amount ranging from Anambra-Imo...........to Borno-Sokoto-Lagos......

With this, we can see that either the Yorubas or the Igbos are the largest ethnic group in Nigeria. If we have to remove all other countries Hausa and Yoruba population, then no doubt the Igbos will be the largest.

But counting all ethnic groups with their respective population outside Nigeria, the Yoruba will be second and Hausa-fulani first.

Note- hausa-fulani is the largest and not the hausa alone on the basis of say "both in and outside Nigeria" and not HAUSA.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Cut The Cost Of Building Your Own House / Breaking News: Unannounced Curfew In Ondo Town,ondo State Now / This Man Certainly Smokes Weed (pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.