Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,151 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:29 AM

Salary In The Nigerian Army? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Salary In The Nigerian Army? (356032 Views)

Electricity Workers Protest Over Non-Payment Of Salary In Lagos (Photos) / Osun Lecturer Faints In Bank After Finding N150 As February Salary In Account / How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by ishmael(m): 8:54am On Jan 16, 2008
Yes they have increased their salary, but it cannot be compared with what people in NNPC, DPR and other oil companies and even some bankers earn. I see their pay schedule every month. Even a 2 star general earns less than some fresh graduates in some oil companies.

I wonder why someone in the oil industry would be envying you becos you are putting on military uniform?? It could be an irony.
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by yemivictor: 10:33am On Jan 16, 2008
Please, i don't fancy it when people quote me out of context. Take time and read my thread again and you will find where you have derailed and misunderstood me. Read and Read and read again, you might get my drift after that.

It's ok! you don't have to run me down on it. I don't fancy that either! Haba!! angry

For the records, what i mean there is that i have a very good pay on ground and coupled with the importance and prestige people attach to the job, my contemporaries envy me. Mind you am a career regular combatant officer and am not here to compare pay packages of individual sectors

I know you are a RC Officer. I mean, you said that in your previous post. However, Nairaland is a forum where people share experiences & knowledge and if you feel any reluctance about disclosing your "on-ground" pay, it is clearly understood, but you could at least provide information on the pay-package of a fresh sub-lieutenant! From there, aspirants into the NN would be able to project, and see how they'd fare, should they join eventually.
The salary of men of the Nigeria Police is all over the news, don't see why that of the NN should be a matter of national security!

Lastly, you said a close confidant told you. Thank God you didnt say it is out of experience. When you are re-echoing what someone told you be careful, except you are the one directly involved, then you can speak with authority. Try and research well on issues before u type. Dont use hearsay to form an opinion, especially where learned and experienced people are within a whispering distance

What i was only trying to get across was that the retired 2-star general (NAF) seemed to paint the armed forces, in a not-so-brilliant colour. Perhaps the general was only trying to discourage the ward from wanting to join the armed forces due to reasons best known to him, no one knows!
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by yemivictor: 10:42am On Jan 16, 2008
ishmael:

Yes they have increased their salary, but it cannot be compared with what people in NNPC, DPR and other oil companies and even some bankers earn. I see their pay schedule every month. Even a 2 star general earns less than some fresh graduates in some oil companies.

I wonder why someone in the oil industry would be envying you because you are putting on military uniform?? It could be an irony.

My brother, i bow o! But as you heard him say read what he wrote, hen talk sa na "on-ground" pay grin
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by Chongaiman: 6:39pm On Jan 16, 2008
There are 5 types of commission in the Nigerian Army (NA) - I did not say Armed Forces. They are:
1. Regular Combatant (RC). Training takes 5 years.
2. Short Service Combatant (SSC). Training takes 6 - 9 months.
3. Direct Regular Combatant (DRC). Now attained on conversion from DSSC.
4. Direct Short Service Combatant (DSSC). Training takes 6 - 9 months.
5. Executive Commission (EC). Training takes 2 - 3 months.

Details of such commissions are to be found in the Harmonised Terms and Conditions of Service (TACOS) for officers of the Nigerian Armed Forces but a summary goes thus:

RC and SSC are combatants ie they fight battles. The others are not meant to be combatants. Both SSC and DSSC  are of relatively short durations  (not more than 12 years I think, excluding extension of service) and must convert to RC and DRC respectively to enjoy a longer career. Theoretically, RCs and DRCs can rise to become generals ie Brigadier Generals, Major Generals etc (Remember the pyramid structure?  The higher it gets, the smaller it becomes. In other words, many are called but the chosen are few). DRCs are mainly professionals - surgeons, pharmacists, chaplains, surveyors etc - and are usually not found in the core combat arms of Infantry, Armour and Artillery but can be found in the Army Engineers and Signals. ECs are made up of former soldiers and do not usually exceed the rank of Major.

There are varying criteria for the various commissions. In reality advantage is more on the side of those who were originally RCs than those who were originally SSCs in terms of age on rank, numbers etc. Hey! Cheer up! Anything can happen! Lt Gen Ishaya Bamaiyi (rtd) rose to become Chief of Army Staff (COAS). He wasn't originally an RC. Though DRCs may never become COASs or General Officers Commanding (GOCs), they can apart from being Staff Officers also hold command posts in corps or services in which they predominate. These include Education, Medical and Finance among others.

True, efforts were recently made to consolidate emoluments but achievement of success or wealth is a product of motivation and determination. If you want to live well, you will. If you don't, you won't.

@ Eseaba,
I hope some of your questions have been answered. As RC or DRC, mininum years of service are about 15 years, give or take. Life as a cadet is quite strenuous. Generally, training in the Infantry Corps Centre and School (ICCS), Jaji where DSSs and ECs are usually trained, is not as strenuous as in NDA where RCs and SSCs are trained. Cadets are usually humourously welcomed with euphemism, "Unfortunate Nigerians, you will nearly die but you will not die!" But you should survive if you are physically fit afterall, many have gone before you. As a cadet, you are entitled to allowances which may not cater for your family if you have one. This is usually true for former civilians. Those who were formerly soldiers and not RC cadets usually receive their salaries in addition until they are commissioned.

@ Creamdream,
I hope some of your questions too have been answered. You can check with the Army Public Relations Department in any military barracks near you to know if, when and types of forms available. For RC, you need at least 5 credits including English and maths. For SSC, DRC and DSSC, you must be a graduate. Lawyers in the army are usually found in the Army Legal Services and the Military Police. They can also be found in lesser numbers in other corps and services. As for private practice, it all depends on what type. You don't expect to have your private practice as a lawyer alongside your military career. Usually other less obvious means to keeping body and soul together such as buying shares and your backyard poultry among others may be pursued so long as they don't interfere with your work.

@ Yemivictor,
NDA  now offers some post-graduate courses for the military.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by VAdmiral(m): 8:07pm On Jan 16, 2008
@ Ishmael

WHITE LIE!!!!!!!!!!! Hope u are able to differentiate between a Lance Corporal, Major and Major General (2 Star General). Well i dont wish to say anyother thing further on the issue of take home figures. I feel we can say better things. After all everybody knows what he takes home monthly, and since what am paid does not affect your own salary or Nigerian economy, its not worth killing ourselves over it. If u are working and your pay is able to pay all your bills adequately, and even allows you to afford some 'unnecessary frivolities', i think the person is not doing badly. I rest my case.

I wonder why someone in the oil industry would be envying you because you are putting on military uniform?? It could be an irony.

Every proffession on earth has people who admire and envy those who are in there, and they could give an arm to belong therein. Envy does not necessarily have to come as a result of 'fat pay' but out of passion and love for that particular vocation, career or job. If you read in between the lines, you will understand that they do not envy me because am paid higher than them, NO WAY!!. Some people just love the military and military men out of reasons they cannot explain. Just the way some people love doctors, engineers, police and even Arsenal and Chelsea players they may not see with their eyes in their lifetime. Its not because they are paid millions of Pounds Sterling every Thursday and they want to earn such as well, but because of the passion and love for soccer or the Premiership. Some dream of no other profession other than Banking because they love their dressing style and corporate environment.

@ Chongaiman

Well done my brother!!! Are you a personnel? You passionately dealt with the questions asked by Eseaba, creamdream and YemiVictor beyond reasonable doubt. There couldnt have been a better response. I salute you.

Lastly, am sorry if i 'have run anybody down' or used any derogatory, foul and unfair language on anybody. Its not my style. Any inconvenience or bad feeling is highly regretted.
ONE LOVE!

1 Like

Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by yemivictor: 9:56am On Jan 17, 2008
Lastly, am sorry if i 'have run anybody down' or used any derogatory, foul and unfair language on anybody. Its not my style. Any inconvenience or bad feeling is highly regretted.
ONE LOVE!

@ V/Admiral,

LOL very funny! Apology accepted officer! But i can see you've managed to stylishly boycott the issues i raised above.
It is OK! I'll get my information elsewhere, cheers! grin
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by opuro(m): 10:50am On Jan 17, 2008
the problem with the nigerian army,
is the fools that are been cheated and they refused to talk.

habba how can agwaoi be cheating you people
and you all are keeping scilent over it,

I have a brother in the Nigerian army, scond leutenant and this last month salary
is 49 k. {they just added 6k}
now tell me where is the remaining money?
in agwaoi pocket !!!

ZOMBIES,
YOU CAN MAKE NIGERIA BETTER IF YOU
OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS ,OPEN SCENSE

WAKE UP AND STOP THESE OLD FOOLS,
FROM CHEATING AND RUINING THE GOOD INTENTION OF THE GOVT.

the most corrupt govt establishment now, is the MILLITARY
the ogas de pack money de go and the juniors de hail

morning, shun sir!
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by yemivictor: 11:34am On Jan 17, 2008
opuro:

the problem with the nigerian army,
is the fools that are been cheated and they refused to talk.

habba how can agwaoi be cheating you people
and you all are keeping scilent over it,

I have a brother in the Nigerian army, scond leutenant and this last month salary
is 49 k. {they just added 6k}
now tell me where is the remaining money?
in agwaoi pocket !!!

ZOMBIES,
YOU CAN MAKE NIGERIA BETTER IF YOU
OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS ,OPEN SCENSE

WAKE UP AND STOP THESE OLD FOOLS,
FROM CHEATING AND RUINING THE GOOD INTENTION OF THE GOVT.

the most corrupt govt establishment now, is the MILLITARY
the ogas de pack money de go and the juniors de hail

morning, shun sir!

I also heard the story (from a junior army officer) of how the generals use their (junior officers) salaries to boost their personal accounts and for business too! Which usually leads to the late payment of salaries of the poor junior officers.

But the truth is, most of them (both junior & senior) do not survive on salaries alone, and the generals may just get away with the inappropriateness for a long time to come!

However, it must be emphasized that the ability not to survive on salaries alone is largely dependent on juicy postings, which the generals control exclusively and with impunity!

Now, you see why the junior officers can't complain! grin
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by opuro(m): 12:51pm On Jan 17, 2008
yemivictor:

I also heard the story (from a junior army officer) of how the generals use their (junior officers) salaries to boost their personal accounts and for business too! Which usually leads to the late payment of salaries of the poor junior officers.

But the truth is, most of them (both junior & senior) do not survive on salaries alone, and the generals may just get away with the inappropriateness for a long time to come!

However, it must be emphasized that the ability not to survive on salaries alone is largely dependent on juicy postings, which the generals control exclusively and with impunity!

Now, you see why the junior officers can't complain! grin

bros thats the problem
you are looking at it from one angle.
do you know that if agwaoi is paying them their salary completly,
there will be no need for them to look elsewhere for money?
I ASKED HOW MUCH WILL A SECOND LIEUTENANT BE GETTING IF
THERE IS NO DEDUCTION FROM SOURCE
IT IS ABOUT 90 K
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by ishmael(m): 2:31pm On Jan 17, 2008
@V/Admiral

You are the one telling lies. Does a major-general in the Army legally earn up to 500k in a month??
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by holythug(m): 4:38pm On Jan 17, 2008
was just discouraged
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by yemivictor: 4:53pm On Jan 17, 2008
opuro:

bros thats the problem
you are looking at it from one angle.
do you know that if agwaoi is paying them their salary completly,
there will be no need for them to look elsewhere for money?
I ASKED HOW MUCH WILL A SECOND LIEUTENANT BE GETTING IF
THERE IS NO DEDUCTION FROM SOURCE
IT IS ABOUT 90 K

Guy! my argument is not based on incomplete salary. Rather, it is based on the lateness of salaries of most junior officers! (NA especially)

Secondly! I hardly think even if they were paid their full salaries, on time, they wouldn't still look elsewhere (juicy posting incumbents especially).

Thirdly! I do think Gen. Agwai is neither the COAS nor CDS anymore (because you keep hollering his name). I believe he's on foreign assignment, speaking of which, ordinarily, he ought to have been retired, save for the pressure that was mounted on Yar'Adua to let him go for the foreign mission!
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by opuro(m): 5:21pm On Jan 17, 2008
take it or leave it,
GENERAL AGWAI REMAIN THE MOST CORROPT OFFICER IN NIGERIA TODAY
THEY CANT LET HIM GO NOW TILL HE COUGH OUT THE MONEY THAT WAS MENT FOR HIS JUNIORS
THAT HE EMBEZZLED.
News reaching me now is that they are begging that they will pay the money march.

POLICE GOT THEIR OWN
CIVIL DEFENCE GOT THIER OWN INFACT ALL THE PARAMILITARY
WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE ARMED FORCE?

ANYTIME THEY WANT TO CHEAT THE JUNIOR OFFICERS,
THEY BRING CIRCULAR AND ALL KIND OF JAGON ABOUT
OBEYING THE LAST OTHER
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by Eseaba: 5:41pm On Jan 18, 2008
Morning Sirs,
All opinions and contributions respected.
However, nobody has realy hit my question on the head. I need information about the salary in the army so as to take decision on joining the DSSC. Well, some contributors concluded that I'm only after the money. Well, it was their opinions.

I think it is important I know what I will earn as salary or allowances before I effect a career move.

Please, just as we get information on what Banks, Oil Companies, etc pay as salary, let someone provide me with the Pay package of Military Personnel especially the Direct Short Service Combatants. Information on the Training Allowance for the 6-9 months is a vital one too. Please, can anybody provide this information? Please, time is going?

Thank you.
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by yemivictor: 6:19pm On Jan 18, 2008
Eseaba:

Morning Sirs,
All opinions and contributions respected.
However, nobody has realy hit my question on the head. I need information about the salary in the army so as to take decision on joining the DSSC. Well, some contributors concluded that I'm only after the money. Well, it was their opinions.

I think it is important I know what I will earn as salary or allowances before I effect a career move.

Please, just as we get information on what Banks, Oil Companies, etc pay as salary, let someone provide me with the Pay package of Military Personnel especially the Direct Short Service Combatants. Information on the Training Allowance for the 6-9 months is a vital one too. Please, can anybody provide this information? Please, time is going?

Thank you.

Yeah! sorry dude!! But really, i think your questions are better directed to V/Admiral. He should be a fresh Lt. cmdr by my calculations so, he should know.
Just pray that he opens up because he's been kind of secretive with this salary issue! grin
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by deor03(m): 4:43am On Jan 19, 2008
NIJA peps and MONEY,

Nobody is thinking of JOB satisfaction any longer. It's so bad that Cols in the army could sell ammunitions to enemy for money. When they want to earn what Oil company executives are earning.

May God continue to protect the likes of v/admiral and other comrades facing combat from ammunitions ( bought with Nigerian tax payers) in the niger delta.
If i was in the armed forces i will probably NOT trust anyone right now. Not even my CO
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by yemivictor: 12:15pm On Jan 19, 2008
deor03:

NIJA peps and MONEY,

Nobody is thinking of JOB satisfaction any longer. It's so bad that Cols in the army could sell ammunitions to enemy for money. When they want to earn what Oil company executives are earning.

May God continue to protect the likes of v/admiral and other comrades facing combat from ammunitions ( [b]bought with Nigerian tax payers) in the niger delta.
If i was in the armed forces i will probably NOT trust anyone right now. Not even my CO[/b]

I say a big AMEN to your prayer but could one of you guys atleast answer Eseaba's question! This is the main reason why this thread was started, i believe!
Even the C-in-C's salary is a public matter! What's the point of all this secrecy now!
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by Eseaba: 12:51pm On Jan 19, 2008
Yemivictor, thanks. I need this info to conclude my decision on joining the army. Information is vital in taking decisions. V/Admiral & the likes, please help on this. If you want to make it confidential, mail it to me in confidence: saint_mao@yahoo.com

Thanks men
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by Oaktown(m): 2:11pm On Jan 19, 2008
@Eseaba
The starting salary for a Second Lieu is now about 90k, take or give 10. You should also consider other terms and conditions of service.I wish you all the best.

@ VAdmiral, odiaseo, et al
Akoi loyal Sir! I'm proud of you guys.

@ other commentators
The imperfections of the Nigerian Armed Forces are a reflection of the state of the nation as a whole. I however remain proud of the Armed Forces; warts and all. I've been in the system since my secondary school days in NMS and believe me, no regrets.
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by MAYAT(m): 2:35pm On Jan 19, 2008
@v/admiral
who are mi now?

Oga Pele na me o! Obika. You just abandoned us and disappeared. We are finding it difficult to fill up the impression your footsteps left on the sands of the job. We are so happy for you that you took your destiny into your hands and finally found your God-given calling and vocation in life. I wish you good luck. Ikonne and the rest are all doing fine. Hope madam is fine. Meanwhile its a pleasure meeting you on nairaland. Your input was rather direct and truthful. ONCE A REGULAR, EVEN IN THE SWIMMING POOL OR KITCHEN, ALWAYS A REGULAR!!!!!!!!
We can get together, my email is below.

@ fsb

you can reach me on chimereahamefule@yahoo.com, we can discuss further on the issue.

Hi,
Nice write up,Could not but notice the name pele odiase.
Would it be the same pele who was my course mate in NMS,If so,where re you pele.Send me a mail to alexigbokwe@yahoo.com
We were both at echo company.
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by oldie(m): 3:42pm On Jan 19, 2008
Most of our young men and women just want a job not a career
And thats the reason why too many of them pursue the very few vacancies in Banking, Oil & Gas, Telecoms. etc
They spend 2-3 years in this pursuit, thereafter, they become almost unemployable, because there are brighter and younger graduates available.

@ poster if you like a career in the Nigerian Army, please go ahead, get enlisted and make a career for yourself.
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by mendax: 5:14pm On Jan 21, 2008
@bambash, admiral, mayat

wats a regular and why is it so important?

pardon my ignorance!!
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by deor03(m): 5:22pm On Jan 21, 2008
@mendax

In the nigerian armed forces, a Regular Force unit or person is part of the full-time military, as opposed to being part of the Short service officers.

The term is regularly abbreviated as regular or combatant . They are 4/5 year degree graduates from NDA (Nigeria Defence Academy).
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by bastrin(f): 11:07pm On Jan 26, 2008
Permission to join up sir!
Gentlemen leave what does not concern you.as long as you are not in the system then please leave the pay alone and if you are really interested in knowing, then join them.
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by bastrin(f): 11:58pm On Jan 26, 2008
How can they say that they have increased the pay of the armed forces, and remove all the benefits, bringing the pay to where it was b4 and making work done = 0?
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by bastrin(f): 12:35am On Jan 27, 2008
The armed forces is not well paid PERIOD!
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by Rolali: 5:13pm On Jan 27, 2008
Eseaba,
i am a very proud regular Military officer from center to circumference,i just will want you to note that life is not all about money,but contentment. If u are looking at the pay before you decide whether or not you will join the military,then i think people like you are not needed here. Also with the write up from my colleague V/admiral,if u couldnt make any sense from it,i think you should look elsewhere.we looking for dedication to service and loyalty,which from all indications you wont offer.Lastly please do what you enjoy doing not for one thing the other.i wish you the very best as u look elsewhere.

1 Like

Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by mingiix: 4:45am On Jan 28, 2008
@odiaseo!!! Are you the same odiase at echo company in NMS. The name pele + odiaseo from admiral's write-up made me think so. I am NMS/82 ,
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by prince101: 12:27am On Jan 31, 2008
Good Day Sir,

I would like the answers to my question from, V/Admiral or Eseaba ,
becos i have seen a great hand work from this fellow.I see honesty
and discipline in their way of life as a true military officers,

I am proud to be a Nigerian and also wish to become a naval officer
of this great nation in the future

I just want to know if it is advisable for a graduate who is
interested in joining the Nigeria Navy to enroll for the Regular
Course as a cadet in the NDA ,

Pertaining to the 60th Regular Course Examination coming up by
Feb 2,How does this board sets questions , What kind of exam
is it like ?? Full military questions or normal subjects like maths,english.e.t.c ?

My email address is MOYO772000@YAHOO.COM

Comments from other interlectuals will also be appreciated ,
Thanks.
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by blackbunmy(m): 10:34am On Feb 01, 2008
Hello V/admiral,
please, I will like to get in touch with you. Can I have your email address or your phone number? Its on the DSSC [/b]stuff.

My email add. is [b]integrityconsultant@yahoo.com
[color=#000099][/color].

Thanks.

blackbunmy of nairaland
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by opuro(m): 3:41pm On Feb 01, 2008
Oaktown:

@Eseaba
The starting salary for a Second Lieu is now about 90k, take or give 10. You should also consider other terms and conditions of service.I wish you all the best.

@ VAdmiral, odiaseo, et al
Akoi loyal Sir! I'm proud of you guys.

@ other commentators
The imperfections of the Nigerian Armed Forces are a reflection of the state of the nation as a whole. I however remain proud of the Armed Forces; warts and all. I've been in the system since my secondary school days in NMS and believe me, no regrets.

are they beign paid up to that for real or on papers?
his last month salary is 49k
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by mnavy(m): 12:19am On Feb 02, 2008
well, i think we do not have to overflog this issue, we all have our agencies(how to choose good or evil). 4 me i left the nigerian army after serving 10 years 100 days.i seved as an other rank.I think the NDA is a destruction academy, where they go to learn how to loot,cheat and steal other rank's money.The day we start having men of intergrity in the armed forces this country will be put the wright side up.Formally when i hear Fela music on Zombi i take it for granted, not until i took the dictionary to find that i was exactly a Zombi.Good initiative are never taken in the military except its from a superior officer.E.g, in the nigerian army medical corps school ojo barracks, An officers with HND as highest qualification is head of dept. whereas, a masters degree holder is his subject what matters is rank not intelligence.The arm forces ahve grossly mis-deployed its arsenals.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Any HSE Professionals In The House? / How Much Is Level 8/2 Based On New Salary Structure? / Has Any Federal Civil Servant Received The New Minimum Wage?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.