Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,933 members, 7,952,768 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 11:34 PM

Computer Science Degree Recommended For Programming Career? - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Computer Science Degree Recommended For Programming Career? (8393 Views)

Which Is Recommended For IT Startup? Mikrotik Vs Cisco (MTCNA Vs CCNA) / Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? / Whats The Best Laptop For Programming? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Computer Science Degree Recommended For Programming Career? by sendtodeji: 9:55pm On Jul 07, 2006
Hi y'all,

I gbadun una debate for here o. I will like to contribute to the topic of discuss but I'll save that for later. Hey Ishmael, do you know where I can download the polytechnic curriculum and course contents for Computer Science. I graduated from the Dept of Computer Science @ Federal Polytechnic Ede. I had both ND and HND at the school. I now reside in the US. Please, see if you can direct me to their web site or give me a compilation. I am particularly interested in the course content for Calculus from ND 1 to HND II. I need for admission into Engineering out here.

Thanks in anticipation.

Let all ponder over this words "Know thyself"
Re: Computer Science Degree Recommended For Programming Career? by sendtodeji: 9:58pm On Jul 07, 2006
Hi y'all,

I gbadun una debate for here o. I will like to contribute to the topic of discuss but I'll save that for later. Hey Ishmael, do you know where I can download the polytechnic curriculum and course contents for Computer Science. I graduated from the Dept of Computer Science @ Federal Polytechnic Ede. I had both ND and HND at the school. I now reside in the US. Please, see if you can direct me to their web site or give me a compilation. I am particularly interested in the course content for Calculus from ND 1 to HND II. I need for admission into Engineering out here.

Thanks in anticipation.

Let all ponder over this words "Know thyself"
Re: Computer Science Degree Recommended For Programming Career? by ishmael(m): 11:18am On Jul 08, 2006
Sendtodeji, i have tried several times to get NBTE website on the net but could not see it. I doubt if they even have a website. You know how things are in nigeria now; imagine a body like NBTE not having a website. I stay in kaduna, and some months ago i went to NBTE HQ to buy the course curriculum but was told it was under review and was not yet ready. Mind you i was told this same story in 2002 when a friend in lagos ask me to get one for him too. I could still lay my hands on it sha but it may be the old one. I could send a soft copy for you. whatz ur email address? Mine is ishmaelxy@yahoo.com. Stay blessed!!
Re: Computer Science Degree Recommended For Programming Career? by oje(m): 11:51am On Aug 02, 2006
its so wonderful to see what ways Nigerians, home and abroad, can communicate in important topics/issues like this. i am particularly impressed by SBUCareer for his intellegent and mature ways of running things here. i must admit that i have learnt so much reading the comments on this site. you guys are wonderful.
I would like to know more about what you do (SBUCareer) because, i am presently doing some trainig in India (LnT infotech, Chevron SBU).
its good to know that Nigerians are now getting into more serious things like what i have seen here. I got linked to this page when i was searching for a Java 'tutorial for domies' (because i have to get used to Java in a few weeks before i start to train on what I came here for {SAP}). Its a wonder how Googles linked me here, it shows that this webpage has revcieved alot of patronage.
God bless the people behind the evention of this Website.
Re: Computer Science Degree Recommended For Programming Career? by ishmael(m): 10:54am On Sep 13, 2006
Oje, where are you presently, and where are you working??
Re: Computer Science Degree Recommended For Programming Career? by qleyo(f): 3:13pm On Sep 30, 2006
Please in the name of God/Allah do not study computer science like sbucareer said (infact sooner or later all these jobs will be in india and china) so you have to be on your toes.

Get books read on your own. I have a BEng (Hons) in electrical/electronics engineering but out of the 10/11 languages I know only 2 of them I studied at uni. Infact my job at the minute as an interactive developer (PHP, XHTML, CSS, flash, javascript, Ruby that kind of stuff) has absolutely nothing related to my degree per say (I got this job based on my experience - I've been into graphics/web since 11/12). If I had gotten an EEE graduate job I'd be earning over £10,000 less what I earn now (funny isn't it, the job I get with a degree pays less than the job I get from a hobby since 11 = more experience).

So if you really love being a developer (online, operating system, graphics, embedded - whatever) you want to teach yourself - at your own pace. Studying something you love is dangerous because it becomes something you have to do no longer because you want to (I love EEE but sometimes at uni I was close to leaving). So kill two birds with one stone study something else and at the same develop your comp sci skills (between you graduate you would have over 4 years experience in comp sci and lots of mini projects to show off at an interview) it also shows versatility - any employer would love that.
Re: Computer Science Degree Recommended For Programming Career? by ishmael(m): 5:03pm On Oct 05, 2006
What about studying[b] mathematics or statistics [/b] as a 1st Degree before going into programming proper??
Re: Computer Science Degree Recommended For Programming Career? by sbucareer(f): 12:54am On Oct 06, 2006

Why computer after studying Mathematics? Most Mathematicans I know or heard of work for investment banks and top future market like the stock market. Why waste your time on computer?
Re: Computer Science Degree Recommended For Programming Career? by ishmael(m): 8:33am On Oct 06, 2006
sbucareer:

Why computer after studying Mathematics? Most Mathematicans I know or heard of work for investment banks and top future market like the stock market. Why waste your time on computer?

hey, i did n't say computer, i said programming.
Re: Computer Science Degree Recommended For Programming Career? by qleyo(f): 10:06pm On Oct 08, 2006
That might work, Mathematicians tend to work side by side with programmers/engineers etc creating complex algorithms for example searching (google hires the best of the best) and so on. Sbucareer is right since most disciplines only use a certain section of mathematics, I think engineering degrees teach the most topics in mathematics (since we use just as much of it) like we had to learn transforms (e.g laplace), green/displacement theorems, matrices since we used that alot in power/motor designs and control systems. Pure maths is pretty intense though.
Re: Computer Science Degree Recommended For Programming Career? by ishmael(m): 3:43pm On Oct 09, 2006
qleyo:

That might work, Mathematicians tend to work side by side with programmers/engineers etc creating complex algorithms for example searching (google hires the best of the best) and so on. Sbucareer is right since most disciplines only use a certain section of mathematics, I think engineering degrees teach the most topics in mathematics (since we use just as much of it) like we had to learn transforms (e.g laplace), green/displacement theorems, matrices since we used that alot in power/motor designs and control systems. Pure maths is pretty intense though.

Are you saying there is more mathematics in engineering Degree program than mathematics Degree program itself??
And remember also that most of the pioneers of computers and computing were mathematicians. Blaise Pascal for example was a mathematician; Charles Baggage was also a mathematician; Muhammad Ibn Al-khwarizmi (an islamic mathematician) started what is today known as Algorithm in computing. Computer science in general has its foundation on mathematics.
Re: Computer Science Degree Recommended For Programming Career? by qleyo(f): 11:21pm On Oct 12, 2006
No, kai is it because this forum is 99% Nigerian that english/communications seems to be a problem or is it me :p (joke!)

What Sbu was telling you is within computing you will get maths because they need it, however you would only get some sections of maths that are relative to comp sci (not the whole 9 yards for obvious reasons). Same goes for engineering but because electrical engineering is 80% calculation we do take ALOT of maths modules (taught by people from the maths department)

I'm giving you advice not debating with you, I have 2 friends studying maths and I studied engineering and we can almost tackle similar problems, civil engineers and chemical engineers have their own bits of maths they need to cover. (Packages like MATLAB, Mathcad etc we ALL had to learn - engineers and mathematicians - at my uni that is, not many of my comp sci colleagues can compete with me at maths)

So moral of the story is doing maths would be a good idea - I reckon - whilst self-tutoring yourself in comp sci, it makes a good balance. And what I was also trying to hint is if you do take an engineering degree you would still know a significant amount of maths (there are alot of options - don't restrict yourself to sciences)
Re: Computer Science Degree Recommended For Programming Career? by zebra(m): 7:57am On Oct 13, 2006
qleyo:

No, kai is it because this forum is 99% Nigerian that english/communications seems to be a problem or is it me :p (joke!)

What Sbu was telling you is within computing you will get maths because they need it, however you would only get some sections of maths that are relative to comp sci (not the whole 9 yards for obvious reasons). Same goes for engineering but because electrical engineering is 80% calculation we do take ALOT of maths modules (taught by people from the maths department)

I'm giving you advice not debating with you, I have 2 friends studying maths and I studied engineering and we can almost tackle similar problems, civil engineers and chemical engineers have their own bits of maths they need to cover. (Packages like MATLAB, Mathcad etc we ALL had to learn - engineers and mathematicians - at my uni that is, not many of my comp sci colleagues can compete with me at maths)

So moral of the story is doing maths would be a good idea - I reckon - whilst self-tutoring yourself in comp sci, it makes a good balance. And what I was also trying to hint is if you do take an engineering degree you would still know a significant amount of maths (there are alot of options - don't restrict yourself to sciences)

common don't crack such annoying jokes again. How is sbucareer right?? That Mathematicians don't go into programming or what?? You've said it already that mathematicians work together with engineers especially in the area of developing complex algorithms, so what are you saying?? My own point is that you cannot cry more than the bereaved or be more catholic than the pope; engineering students do a lot of mathematics, computer science students do a lot of mathematics too, but they cannot take more mathematics courses than mathematics students, simple!! And when mathematicians who wish to be programmers move on to programming they do it excellently. One of my programming Lecturers in school then Malcolm Forsyte had a Bsc in mathematics from Leeds university, and he was an excellent programmer especially in the area of numerical analysis and AI.
Re: Computer Science Degree Recommended For Programming Career? by sbucareer(f): 11:12am On Oct 13, 2006

Unless your interest is in education, why would you want to become a lecturer developing AI and algorithm when you have the most powerful tool on earth in terms of education on your hands?
Math Prof's at investment banking like Goldman Sach, McKenzie, Morgan Stanley, Pricewater, Deutsch bank, future market like stock, equity, loan, debt, bond and commodities make in excess of £1 millions in bonuses every year, fact! Read the economist and the MoneyWeek

Most Nigerian's I know including me LOVE money not really name. Unless you want to be remembered as the first black Nigerian prof to invent new AI algorithmfor domestic robots, then your argument would hold.

Else, quit deceiving yourself about your mathematical abilities to discovering trends. Like the one  Prof Emma Emeagwali discovered and his people and the white people tried very hard to discredit his effort, what a shame.
Re: Computer Science Degree Recommended For Programming Career? by zebra(m): 4:02pm On Oct 13, 2006
Sbucareer, you are very funny; what you just posted is the truth, most nigerians love money and things that will bring money and not big names. Those white guys are something else; no wonder they refuse to ordin a black man as pope cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Want To Develop Mobile Applications / Hackers / NCC Uncovers Cyber Threats To Windows Platforms, Routers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.