Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,527 members, 7,816,285 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:49 AM

Bad Yam - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Bad Yam (10122 Views)

Would You Eat This Strange Looking Yam(photos) / How To Make Yam Balls / Pictures Of A Yam That Resembles A Folded Fist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bad Yam by cfours: 10:53pm On Sep 16, 2012
I have a question and need your help in finding out the solution. I got some yams from this lady at the supermarket. I'm not very experienced in buying yams. How can you tell if the yam is bad? When I cooked the yams, some parts were dark and the yam tastes bitter. To me, this is not a good sign. Should I even eat it? Is it dangerous to eat bad yam?
Re: Bad Yam by obowunmi(m): 11:24pm On Sep 16, 2012
c.fours:
I have a question and need your help in finding out the solution. I got some yams from this lady at the supermarket. I'm not very experienced in buying yams. How can you tell if the yam is bad? When I cooked the yams, some parts were dark and the yam tastes bitter. To me, this is not a good sign. Should I even eat it? Is it dangerous to eat bad yam?

Good question. Idk...I think you can ask them to cut it open for you so you see the inside.
Re: Bad Yam by moonbaby(f): 5:45pm On Nov 22, 2012
c.fours:

Try using your nail to peel a tiny part of it, that way you will know if the yam will be good. If you don't want to use you nail, try Obowumi's response... smiley
Re: Bad Yam by cfours: 6:17am On Nov 24, 2012
^thanks for responding.
my nails are not going to work on a yam but I will bring a sharp utensil to the market with me next time to test the yams. For now, I will be looking for color. but what else can I look for? ex. texture? is it good for the yam to be slippery?

you can tell I really love yams. But once in a while I buy the crappiest yams in the market and wish to prevent this from happening in the future.
Re: Bad Yam by moonbaby(f): 1:18pm On Dec 14, 2012
c.fours:
^thanks for responding.
my nails are not going to work on a yam but I will bring a sharp utensil to the market with me next time to test the yams. For now, I will be looking for color. but what else can I look for? ex. texture? is it good for the yam to be slippery?

you can tell I really love yams. But once in a while I buy the crappiest yams in the market and wish to prevent this from happening in the future.

LOL @ sharp utensil...you could ask the yam seller to cut the yam for you instead then just like Obowunmi suggested...

What do you mean slippery? Inside the yam after peeling or outside before peeling? angry
Re: Bad Yam by Tenderly1(f): 6:18pm On Dec 16, 2012
c.fours:
^thanks for responding.

some yams are slippery, while some are nt.if the yam is black and bitter it doesnt mean the yam is spoilt,the yam is nt just sweet. Buy old water yam itz sweet mostly the ones from edo state

(1) (Reply)

Cost Of Cooking Gas With The Cylinder ( Urgent Pls!!!) / Interested In Shawarma / Milo = Tea?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.