Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,983 members, 7,825,063 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:46 AM

Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? (34788 Views)

Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? / Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? / Non-verbal communication that is considered offensive to Nigerians....... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by cap28: 7:36pm On Sep 28, 2012
igbo2011:
We have to stop blaming whites man. Us blacks are happy to give whites all our money for htheir goods and services. We go to their stuff before going to ours. Blacks in america give almost all of their money away each year. They have no businesses bevause they are consumers. Read the book capitlist nigger by chika onyeani to understand. Yes whites play a rle but blacks do too. We don't work together and support each other. This is a worldwide black thing.

blame must be placed where it belongs - at the doorstep of the white man - had it not been for white supremacy blacks would not be brainwashed, self hating and self destructive. Black americans and africans have been degraded and dehumanised by whites that is why we hate ourselves and aspire to be like our oppressors - the average black person in america and africa for that matter hates himself and wants to be like his oppressor because that is what he has been brainwashed with for over 500 years, had we never had any contact with whites we wouldnt be in the state that we are in today. Yes, we need to undo all the damage that has been done but we must not excuse or try to brush under the carpet the disease that they have created within us.

as you correctly said it is a world wide thing because white supremacy is a world wide system that seeks to subjugate us wherever we are in the world and we must understand that.

Ive read some of Chika Onyeani's articles and i dont agree with his stance - he takes the view that the black man needs to pull himself up by his bootstraps and stop blaming the white man for all his problems - to me that is a cop out because all he is doing is making excuses for the white man as if blacks enslaved themselves and chose to live under white supremacy, he never ever calls out whites and their treatment of blacks in america, neither does he ever criticise white supremacy, infact he makes excuses for it and that to me is the characteristic of a coward. how do you pull yourself up by your bootstraps when laws were put in place to ensure that yuou never owned land, never got an education, never became financially independent, Onyeani is an opportunist who is doing what most gutless black people tend to do -he's blaming the victim for being a victim - he is a sellout and thats why whites love him, any time a white man puts you on a pedestal (as they have done with him, know that you are doign something to harm your people)
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by 19naia(m): 7:37pm On Sep 28, 2012
People in spanish speaking countries call me "negro" and its not offenssive as it means "black colour".....Nigger was the degradation of the word Negro by ignorant people who could not spell,read,or pronounce properly in their own languages or even the spanish language that spread through out the americas...The people who first coined the term nigger used it to name people that they hated for being Negros..And as much as they misunderstood the spelling and pronounciation,they misunderstood the significance of the people they hated and utmostly misunderstand themselves and the world we all live in...Its not that nigger originated as a bad word,it was just used so extensively in the description of people who were enslaved ,beaten,denied any dignity..ultimately people associated its meaning with the bad regard upon stolen Negros of africa...... The blacks i know today who use it among themselves have adopted change in their minds to fill its meaning without bad regard and to use the bad name in a positive image so that at least if the word must live on,it will be subject to transformation and neutralized of its harm....if a black man opens a business in USA,he will have not the benefit of as many white customers as a white owned business,yet the white owned business will have the benefit of white and black and other customers..this makes the overall income of the business subject to racist regrds or disregards and diminishes the chance of minorities earning enough profits to grow into sizeable place in the economy and as such,market freedoms allow racist regard and disregar to influence a peoples progress...there are still towns in USA that dont allow black people to live and much less to work or own anything there and yes the whites only towns refer to all blacks as niggers still today...Even if negros do acheive for themselves all that makes them equal, the majority of people around them of other races and competing for same oppurtunities that choose not to believe that the black people are smart and able,will simply render the black peoples achievements as non existent by simply believing so and acting/animating themselves accordingly,as in giving the best oppurtunities to whites even if there is a more qualified person of another race baground.....Africa did not have the advantage of slaves to build up to USA status in the world or the advantage of colonial stripping of other nations to bring itself to the status of european nations in global trade/commerce....Still today the difference between a 1st world nation and a 3rd world nation is that the 1st world nation got its advantage by pilaging and securing the disadvantage of the 3rd world nations..and only after that advantage was extremely beyond reparations,did colonial rule and slavery release its hold (only few decades ago.....While 1st world countries wish to see 3rd world nations take care of themselves and fix their own problems,they never thank 3rd world nations for all that was contributed under force to make europe and america nations where citizens can live free from government social welfare programs,and yet still blame africans and such fro wanting to leave africa and such to work for a living in europe and america.......Lost sight of the advantages source and yet overbearing in regard to the people in the disadvantage it left behind

1 Like

Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by cap28: 7:40pm On Sep 28, 2012
Shaw007: aight check this out

bamm9000 in reply to cmb913 1 year ago

This guy isn't enlightened, he's just another black complainer.
He's a supposed "intellectual" who keeps speaking in ebonics, and keeps referring to white Americans as "The Enemy".
Why do you want to keep blaming whitey for all your problems some more? Is that empowering?

and this

nigga is a derogatory form of naga/nagus? they knew who you were and mocked it..

U see al that is history,if a white man calls me nigger,he's dead. . .if a brother does,its cOol. . .Nigger

and BTW are you insinuating that i'm nt educated,or did those guys publish their cv's? angry

since when did it become unenlightening to speak to your audience using a langauge that they understand? the fact that this guy speaks ebonics does not mean that he is uneducated, he is just trying to get his message across to the grass roots, many of whom are not used to fancy words and flowery language,

I was not insinuating anything about your level of education as i dont know you, besides academic qualifications are not an indication of intelligence or wisdom.
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by ektbear: 8:20pm On Sep 28, 2012
It depends on how it is used, and who is saying it.

Doesn't bother me at all when black people say it.
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by PhysicsQED(m): 8:43pm On Sep 28, 2012
Since this thread has been kind of serious so far, here's a funny video to lighten the mood. The parts with the real life teacher (that the Boondocks episode was based on) are especially funny ("can you lend a nigga a pencil?" grin):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLZA32oHbC4&feature=related
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by igbo2011(m): 9:07pm On Sep 28, 2012
cap28:

blame must be placed where it belongs - at the doorstep of the white man - had it not been for white supremacy blacks would not be brainwashed, self hating and self destructive. Black americans and africans have been degraded and dehumanised by whites that is why we hate ourselves and aspire to be like our oppressors - the average black person in america and africa for that matter hates himself and wants to be like his oppressor because that is what he has been brainwashed with for over 500 years, had we never had any contact with whites we wouldnt be in the state that we are in today. Yes, we need to undo all the damage that has been done but we must not excuse or try to brush under the carpet the disease that they have created within us.

as you correctly said it is a world wide thing because white supremacy is a world wide system that seeks to subjugate us wherever we are in the world and we must understand that.

Ive read some of Chika Onyeani's articles and i dont agree with his stance - he takes the view that the black man needs to pull himself up by his bootstraps and stop blaming the white man for all his problems - to me that is a cop out because all he is doing is making excuses for the white man as if blacks enslaved themselves and chose to live under white supremacy, he never ever calls out whites and their treatment of blacks in america, neither does he ever criticise white supremacy, infact he makes excuses for it and that to me is the characteristic of a coward. how do you pull yourself up by your bootstraps when laws were put in place to ensure that yuou never owned land, never got an education, never became financially independent, Onyeani is an opportunist who is doing what most gutless black people tend to do -he's blaming the victim for being a victim - he is a sellout and thats why whites love him, any time a white man puts you on a pedestal (as they have done with him, know that you are doign something to harm your people)

Yes I agree in his book he doesn't put any blame on slavery, colonization and neocolonization. There are many reasons but he explains some of the reasons like miseducation. You should check it out: http://www.amazon.com/Capitalist-Nigger-Success-Spider-Doctrine/dp/0967846099

But we need to work together, read and understand our histroy. This is the information age and we have information on our fingertips but we do't use it. I know you are conscious why can't more people just be like you? In Nigeria there isn't as easy access to internet but black Americans and black brits have easier access. We should use it as a means to unite with each other and learn from one another.

is the white man forcing us to buy Italian clothes? German cars? French Champagne? NOOO We choose to do it. We choose to spend all our money in his businesseses, it is our choice. Us blacks world wide see everything white as great. most blacks do but people like us don't. We need for more people to be conscious of our issues. We must also SOLVE our issues. Finding the problem isn' enogh, we must divise ways to implement so we can fix things.

Complaing all day without any actions is a complete waste. We must complain ad find answwers. less talkers more doers. I talk butI also do. I do my site www.africanedp.com and I do some presentations about African history. So I am trying to make changes but many of us just talk. We need more actions.
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by member479760: 9:25pm On Sep 28, 2012
anyone can be a nigger (white, black, brown, yellow, orange, red, etc) provided you are cheap. Any employee is a nigger regardless of race and color. EMPLOYEE = SLAVEE = NIGGEE.
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by manibuds(m): 10:39pm On Sep 28, 2012
at last some pple are begining to see the connection between the word NIGGER and our beloved nation NIGGER AREA.
if nigger was not a derogatory word why do americans of non african decent get into legal trouble for using it?
if nigger was not a derogatory word why did our colonial masters change the pronounciation of niger to naija(what does naija mean?at least niger or nigre is latin for black).
like somebody mentioned earlier,a white says 'nigger' and his white buddies look around if a black guy is around.nigger means sub-saharan african or his descendants.
blacks use the 'N' word both for bonding and as a wake up call for those blacks that want to behave as if martin luther king and mandela were heroes of the old testament,for God sake,a teenager in 1968 when luther king was shot in the neck is less than 70years old today,mandela is still alive.one day white pple will use the 'N' word freely(they obviously love it)but most black pple are not ready yet,the wound is still healing.
white pple wont let the world forget exploits older than the scandal of slavery but want to us to forget slavery or blame africans for slavery,why didnt they build their plantations in africa?they gave guns and chains to africans,got them addicted to booze,folded their arms and waited for the rest.
the 100th year anniversary of the almagamation of this country will be in january 2014,this will be a good time to start a movement to correct our name.we did not give ourselves that name.
member_479760: anyone can be a nigger (white, black, brown, yellow, orange, red, etc) provided you are cheap. Any employee is a nigger regardless of race and color. EMPLOYEE = SLAVEE = NIGGEE.
pls dont confuse yourself
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by pak: 10:54pm On Sep 28, 2012
cap28:

This is one of the reasons why I believe africa nay the black race might not catch up with the rest. We just love the blame game, don't we ?
Ask the average nigerian about corruption and he starts by saying 'THEY are corrupt . . ' Problem and blame is never with him. NEVER !!
The people blame the police, the police blame the government, the government blames the lecturers, the lecturers complain about senators pay . . . .and so on till infinity.

Indonesia, Japan, Switzerland and co. have been able to overcome sterner challenges and achieved quite a lot but Africa ? today its the whites, tommorow its swiss bank.

It got so bad that our dear first lady (May God heal her) was once said to be lamenting about the fact that 'OUR LEADERS have abandoned education' sad
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by cap28: 11:26pm On Sep 28, 2012
pak:

This is one of the reasons why I believe africa nay the black race might not catch up with the rest. We just love the blame game, don't we ?
Ask the average nigerian about corruption and he starts by saying 'THEY are corrupt . . ' Problem and blame is never with him. NEVER !!
The people blame the police, the police blame the government, the government blames the lecturers, the lecturers complain about senators pay . . . .and so on till infinity.

Indonesia, Japan, Switzerland and co. have been able to overcome sterner challenges and achieved quite a lot but Africa ? today its the whites, tommorow its swiss bank.

It got so bad that our dear first lady (May God heal her) was once said to be lamenting about the fact that 'OUR LEADERS have abandoned education' sad

none of the countries you have mentioned experienced the forced removal of its indigenes to other countries in order to develop the economies of those countries, japan was never colonised and switzerland is a european country that has reaped the benefits of white supremacy so your comparisons are wrong.

africa has been ra.ped of its manpower first during slavery and later during colonialism and today it is being ra,pe.d economically by the world bank and the imf. the corrupt leadership we have is in power because the western nations have made it possible for them to be there, without the western powers the likes of IBB, obasanjo, mobutu, idi amin, omar bongo, paul kagame and museveni would never have access to power. the truth of the matter is that the west have one over us because we can not defend ourselves militarily, this is the reason that we were enslaved and colonised in the first place - we are still in the same position as we were 500 years ago.
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by Nobody: 1:00am On Sep 29, 2012
Okay, Africa has been raped, everybody hates Black people and the White man is solely responsible for our woes.

Now then, how can WE turn things around for the better?

We. Black people.

Because nobody but us is responsible for our well being.

And let's be honest, we haven't exactly been doing a good job of taking care of ourselves.

@Topic, anyone with common sense would find that word extremely offensive from Non-Blacks. Given the history of the word it just is.
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by TerryCarr(m): 1:27am On Sep 29, 2012
Shaw007: ppl call those guys those names,it was given to them,and not rightfully theirs. . .a jew can call his mate jew but from a white person its disrespectful. . .i can call my brother names and abuse him and all sorts,and we can laugh it off,from someone outside its unacceptable. . .and that's why they call it culture,we aren't chinese or jew and we can call ourselves anything we deem fit,cos that's what separartes us from others,peculiarity!!. . .Nigger
you can say "jew"
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by TerryCarr(m): 1:33am On Sep 29, 2012
cap28:

blacks act like there the only victims in this world i don't see anybody else complaining but blacks sad
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by Shaw007(m): 2:00am On Sep 29, 2012
TerryCarr: you can say "jew"
if ur white(german/european 2 be precise) and u cal a jew 'jew' its just like a white man calling me nigger. . .he's nt respecting me and he shud be punished. . .do u know why?? 1940 or there-about hitler tried wiping off the 'inferior' races and he started with 'jews' u dig?
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by Nobody: 2:08am On Sep 29, 2012
Wassup my NIGGAS?!
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by TerryCarr(m): 3:22am On Sep 29, 2012
Shaw007: if ur white(german/european 2 be precise) and u cal a jew 'jew' its just like a white man calling me nigger. . .he's nt respecting me and he shud be punished. . .do u know why?? 1940 or there-about hitler tried wiping off the 'inferior' races and he started with 'jews' u dig?
not really it depends how you use it
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by Nobody: 4:13am On Sep 29, 2012
I cant imagine ever using that word. To me, just seems disrespectful.
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by Cdspencer(m): 5:20am On Sep 29, 2012
MManuel: There's two different versions/meanings:
Nigga & Nigger just like Gangster & Gangsta . Personally I don't have a problem with being called nigga by white or black folks. . It's about the content and not the container.

Bleep u bloody nigga!
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by Nobody: 6:29am On Sep 29, 2012
cap28: blame must be placed where it belongs - at the doorstep of the white man -

No, Blame must be placed where it belongs - at the footsteps of the incompetent, technologically unequipped, Black Man.

Stop with the weak coward "Victim" Mentality you are polluting this thread with

Whining...

Whining....and more Whining.

Although your facts are correct....you and i have a different mentality when dealing with the "Racist White Man"

You are a wimp...a whiner...you want to play the Victim.

And Cry and Scream about blacks being somehow "Victimized"...

While I am a Warrior...who has a Warrior's mentality....

We are not the Victims..we are the Losers

There is a difference.

There are only Warriors and Whiners ...Winners and Losers....Might and the Weak

You...Mr Cap28 fall in the category of the Latter.

A weak Black man who wants to blame all of the black race's problems and self hate on.....That's right you guessed it..."The White Man"

..That devilish satanic white man..

lol ah yes... the same Devilish White man who has done NOTHING different to you that your Arab "Brothers" have not done to you...times Infinity.....

I suppose we should cry and whine and play the poor "victim" role in our war against the Arabs as Well....

In the Sports World...when your Opponent is better than you, You do not blame the "greatness" of your opponent for you being Unable to compete

Instead however a "great" athlete places the Blame upon himself..for not being "Great Enough"...to Conquer or Compete

You want to "Blame the White Man"....

Go right head.

Cowardice display which i expect coming from nothing more than a docile cooon

However as a warrior...I see them as no different than all the Other Races of Men who have taken advantage, rapedd, robbed and pillaged from the Black Man.

Blame must be placed on your People. Our People. The inability to be Might and Conquer

This is a Savage World.

Only the Strong Survive

Can someone please hand this Timid Docile Cowardice Cooon a Napkin to dry his tears.

Being Timid, Soft, and Playing the Victimized member of Humanity does not make you pro black....mr cap.

It does however prove your own cerebral inferiority.

in the Wild, A Lion never cries over his inability to Conquer an Impala~~ Royal
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by cfours: 6:32am On Sep 29, 2012
criminals, ex-convicts, drug addicts, rappers and gangsters are the only people who deserve to be called "nigger"
for people who do not belong to the aforementioned categories, being called "nigger" is very offensive. It's a racist and/or insulting remark.
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by obowunmi(m): 6:47am On Sep 29, 2012
1. Nigger is different from Nigga

2. If you are NOT African American, you have no business using this word.

So Nigerians fc,uk off.
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by cfours: 7:00am On Sep 29, 2012
obowunmi: 1. Nigger is different from Nigga

2. If you are NOT African American, you have no business using this word.

So Nigerians fc,uk off.

WRONG.
a Nigger ( or Nigger) is a low-life person irregardless of race or ethnicity.
ghetto latinos,blacks,whites, are all niggers. except for a few enlightened ones who are victims of circumstance, of course.
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by Nobody: 7:03am On Sep 29, 2012
lol@the self created definitive meanings for the word niqqer

C.Fours that is a Gorgeous Baby in your Display Pic.
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by obowunmi(m): 7:21am On Sep 29, 2012
c.fours:

WRONG.
a Nigger ( or Nigger) is a low-life person irregardless of race or ethnicity.
ghetto latinos,blacks,whites, are all niggers. except for a few enlightened ones who are victims of circumstance, of course.

Stop trying to give meaning to a historically derogatory word. You sound like a lunatic.

I remember an ugly Pakistani called me a nigga/ I almost took all his front teeth out.

Wizkid also need to STOP usage of the word. Its tacky and the height of irresponsibility.

1 Like

Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by freshdude: 7:37am On Sep 29, 2012
Nigger is a word used to describe any gorgeous homosapien specie on planet earth.. grin grin grin the word has metermorphosized into something bigger than "black slaves picking cotton" definition of it. so i don't see why niggers get offended when they are called nigger... cheesy cheesy grin u feel me ma Nigga undecided
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by cfours: 7:41am On Sep 29, 2012
obowunmi:

Stop trying to give meaning to a historically derogatory word. You sound like a lunatic.

I remember an ugly Pakistani called me a nigga/ I almost took all his front teeth out.

Wizkid also need to STOP usage of the word. Its tacky and the height of irresponsibility.

the ugly Pakistani was right about you.
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by cfours: 7:43am On Sep 29, 2012
freshdude: Nigger is a word used to describe any gorgeous homosapien specie on planet earth.. grin grin grin the word has metermorphosized into something bigger than "black slaves picking cotton" definition of it. so i don't see why niggers get offended when they are called nigger... cheesy cheesy grin u feel me ma Nigga undecided

undecided
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by obowunmi(m): 7:44am On Sep 29, 2012
c.fours:

you are a real nigger for that insult! the ugly Pakistani was right.
... and don't even try to respond with another insult. don't even dare.

Is that what you are called at home? Nigger C. Four? Which of your family members call you that?
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by cfours: 8:12am On Sep 29, 2012
with a username like yours, you're the true definition of a nigger.
what a coon.
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by Nobody: 8:34am On Sep 29, 2012
Damn Fam you gonna let him clown you like that.
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by yertyr(m): 9:13am On Sep 29, 2012
Evry man feels a sense of worth & pride 4 himself alone...noone gives pluto's a*s* or mercury's c*ck if a fellow inferior black calls him negro... But one feel dejected wen a white man u're tryin to attain his level uses dos same terms...its degradin
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by igbo2011(m): 10:24am On Sep 29, 2012
nnenna.1:
Okay, Africa has been raped, everybody hates Black people and the White man is solely responsible for our woes.

Now then, how can WE turn things around for the better?

We. Black people.

Because nobody but us is responsible for our well being.

And let's be honest, we haven't exactly been doing a good job of taking care of ourselves.

@Topic, anyone with common sense would find that word extremely offensive from Non-Blacks. Given the history of the word it just is.

Check out my site www.africanedp.com http://www.facebook.com/pages/African-Economic-Development-Plan/278164788911610

What you can start by doing is buying African ashions, goods, and art. Also tour and invest in Africa thisw will help. These are ways you can make Africa better!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ijesa Indigenes In Canada Elect Okey Paulicap Okeke, Igbo Man As President / Mai Tangale, Buba Maisharu, Is Dead / Olubadan And Traditional Chiefs Fight Over Masquerade Directive In Ibadan.Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.