Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,164 members, 7,849,595 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 04:55 AM

Private Vs Public Universities - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Private Vs Public Universities (752 Views)

10 Cheapest Private And Public Universities In Nigeria / Private Vs Public Universities - Which Is Better? / Private Schools Vs Public Schools. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Private Vs Public Universities by Nobody: 12:13pm On Sep 17, 2012
Let's compare private universities (secular and non-secular) and their public counterparts (state and federal).
_
1. The first point (and perhaps the most important) in favour of private schools is ASUU. There are NO strike actions to be found in private schools, unlike public, ASUU-infected schools where a four-year program might be completed in six years due to incessant strike actions.
_
2. On the other hand, popularity goes to public schools. Everybody knows their names, they (the most popular) are recognised internationally, and everybody wants to go there.
_
Now that the two most important points are done with, let's start in earnest.
_
1. HOSTEL ENVIRONMENT:
Private schools win this round. In public schools, eg. UNN, LASU, OAU the hostel environment are eyesores! Eg. Franco. While private schools are neater, cleaner, and generally well kept. Eg. Covenant, Igbinedion, Godfrey
2. FACILITIES: This is a tie. The funding recieved by public schools from the goverment, that should put them ahead of private schools facility-wise, is negated by the exorbitant fees paid in private schools, which allow them to acquire learning facilities.
3. QoS: In past years, private universites were far behind public ones in terms of Quality of Service, but the gap is fast bridging. While a degree from a private school is may be seen as subpar (by Nairalanders), one would agree that it is mostly a thing of opinion. So judging by pop culture, public schools win this round.
4. STUDENT ACCOMODATION: Private schools win this round hands down. An average public school's male hostel houses 6 legal occupants (plus squatters) in a 12 by 8, sometimes by 10 room. Private schools on the other hand, house a maximum of 4 in a similarly-sized room. Some house 2.
5. AMENITIES: This is a tie. Electricity, water, housing, odds and ends. The number of hours of electricity and pipe-borne water in a day is mostly the same throughout the schools, although it tends to be longer in private schools. Working classrooms go to private schools. Working roofs too. In fact, this is a 60:40 point in favour of private schools.
6. SECURITY: What with cultism rampant in public schools and such, this sound goes to private schools. Although Igbinedion has been recieving bad press of late. But that's one school. The suicide rate is higher in public schools too.
6. TOLERANCE/HUMAN RIGHTS: Seeing as the majority of private schools are affiliated, in one way or the other, to/with churches, this round goes to public schools. In Madonna uni, it is said that students are not allowed to own handsets. What? In this day and age? In Covenant uni, it is said that attendance of religious activities is mandatory....or you get suspended. Also in Covenant uni, it was on NL sometime ago that two allegedly lesbian students were allegedly suspended for allegedly engaging in sexual activities. So if you want your freedom, you're better off going to public schools. Although personally, I think I can keep whatever on the d.l. for four years, after which I go back to whatever. It's called eye service, people. Pretend to be normal and the shrink leaves you alone. grin
7. TUITION: lmfao! It is often said that private schools are not for ordinary Nigerians. The average tuition per session of Nigerian private universities is N250,000.00 In AUN, Yola, tuition is 1,000,000.00+ per session. Yeeepaa!!! So this round goes to public schools that pay an average of 70k per session. Almost 400% less than the average of private unis.
_
If you've got more points, please feel free to post them. Remember, it is not the school that makes the individual, but the individual. So you may go to a kpako school and still become first lady and permanent secretary.
Re: Private Vs Public Universities by Ask4bigneyo(m): 1:21pm On Sep 17, 2012
Guy... All dis stuffs didnt applicable to my sch jor... I attend PRIVATE-FEDERAL university... The university dt is BETTER BY FAR!
Re: Private Vs Public Universities by k2039: 1:27pm On Sep 17, 2012
Any day any time,if I still have to choose a university in Nigeria,I will always choose my UNILAG.

Proudly Akokite

Re: Private Vs Public Universities by Nobody: 1:27pm On Sep 17, 2012
Ask4bigneyo: Guy... All dis stuffs didnt applicable to my sch jor... I attend PRIVATE-FEDERAL university... The university dt is BETTER BY FAR!
_
I'm sorry, but are you sure you go to school? I mean your english suggests you divert to mama Iyabo's LovePeddler house/restaurant every morning. And which one is private-federal university?

(1) (Reply)

Jambite Help / Benson Idahosa University (BIU) 2012/2013 M.sc & MBA Hopefuls / JAMB Centers Filled Up

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.