Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,155 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:41 AM

Warning For Pregnant Women Travelling Abroad - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Warning For Pregnant Women Travelling Abroad (59326 Views)

Ghastly Accident Along Jos-bauchi Road - Warning Graphic Photos / Travelling Abroad With Large Sums / Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Warning For Pregnant Women Travelling Abroad by manny4life(m): 2:52pm On Sep 18, 2012
nagoma:

Moderator Please show him that we're ethical.

Lol, they say charity begins at home...My friend go take an early nap, you seem exhausted... grin grin grin
Re: Warning For Pregnant Women Travelling Abroad by Venchy: 3:14pm On Sep 18, 2012
Olutola88: . Abi o! Thank God we still have Nigerians like u. As 4 me, I used 2 be freaked abt staying in dese western countries wen I was a kid but now I am a more mature person with a better orientation. I have told my God dat I want 2 make it in life without leaving dis great country of ours and I pray dat everyone dat shares d same tot will also not stress b4 he or she is blessed in Nigeria. Let's just go 2 dose countries 2 study or 2 spend holidays

I beg Madam Tola abi wetin you called yourself, wake up and stop all this foolish preaching of yours.

Why do you want to go on holiday or study in the western world, why not stay in NIgeria where your Uni have been bastadis by frequent STRIKES.

I don't know why you have to bring God into this matter, pls stop all this Pastor's preaching, whose children are studying in the best Uni in the western world yet still telling people to ignore western world....ASHIMOLOWO & co.

Wake up, the reality is that , things have diteroriat and our leaders are Mocking about.

All I grew up to understand is UP NEPA or Oh NEPA, over 30yrs ago and nothing is been done to put it right in this 21Century,

1 Like

Re: Warning For Pregnant Women Travelling Abroad by nagoma(m): 3:20pm On Sep 18, 2012
manny4life:

Lol, they say charity begins at home...My friend go take an early nap, you seem exhausted... grin grin grin

You're right, I feel tired. I will goto bed now. Thanks-yawning- thanks ...
Re: Warning For Pregnant Women Travelling Abroad by Pain(m): 3:39pm On Sep 18, 2012
manny4life:

I just re-edited your post.

Isn't it ironic how you write this YET you claimed you did your masters in that same place? After all, weren't you having a happy life back home in your Nigeria? Are you trying to say that your masters did not improve (directly or indirectly) on the quality of your life? What your type is, you do the same thing which you publicly condemn (two-sided person, speaking from two sides of your mouth)

I can now see how deep my post cut through the hearts of the insecure. I meant to pass my own view of an issue expecting a matured discussion,,,but see the reaction of a jaundiced few.

1 Like

Re: Warning For Pregnant Women Travelling Abroad by Nobody: 3:54pm On Sep 18, 2012
Venchy:

I beg Madam Tola abi wetin you called yourself, wake up and stop all this foolish preaching of yours.

Why do you want to go on holiday or study in the western world, why not stay in NIgeria where your Uni have been bastadis by frequent STRIKES.

I don't know why you have to bring God into this matter, pls stop all this Pastor's preaching, whose children are studying in the best Uni in the western world yet still telling people to ignore western world....ASHIMOLOWO & co.

Wake up, the reality is that , things have diteroriat and our leaders are Mocking about.

All I grew up to understand is UP NEPA or Oh NEPA, over 30yrs ago and nothing is been done to put it right in this 21Century,

No mind them. So another BANK-thief (BANK OLE's child) will come and siphon our funds in 15 years time after enjoying the benefits of EXPOSURE and FOREIGN EDUCATION which he obtained thru stolen govt loot. That was in the past. This present generation don sharpen up. Yes agreed I'm a RAT and I shall not carry LAST.

1 Like

Re: Warning For Pregnant Women Travelling Abroad by Seerer(f): 3:59pm On Sep 18, 2012
Tnx 4 de info, can I get ur email so I can ask further question?
Re: Warning For Pregnant Women Travelling Abroad by coogar: 4:00pm On Sep 18, 2012
nagoma:

The people who go to deliver abroad are not the ones affected by maternal mortality. We know and they know that they can have safe delivery in Nigeria spending only a small percentage of what they pay for BA return tickets. They dong go just for safety but for their inferiority and reassurance from the western gods they worship. It is really shocking that you so much love the west that you don't believe some of us who see nothing special in them and actually prefer Nigeria.

this is a very daft comment!
how do people know they can deliver safely in nigeria? what's the infant mortality rate in nigeria compared to uk/usa? it has been proven sometimes money cannot buy you safety in nigeria so cut the crap! people who go abroad to deliver their children are more particular about safe delivery than gaining citizenship in nigeria! mike adenuga could afford the best medical service in nigeria, her daughter still went abroad to ensure safe delivery. she's neither seeking reassurance from western gods nor was she hoping to gain citizenship for her child!
Re: Warning For Pregnant Women Travelling Abroad by WudBMother: 4:26pm On Sep 18, 2012
@ OP my sister got her visa and has even gone to the US once on it, before she fell pregnnant. She has reason to be in the US sometime close to her EDD with the
likelihood of delivering there, and she is going to foot the bill with out any US govt health benefits. How will this apply to her.
Re: Warning For Pregnant Women Travelling Abroad by manny4life(m): 4:27pm On Sep 18, 2012
Pain:

I can now see how deep my post cut through the hearts of the insecure. I meant to pass my own view of an issue expecting a matured discussion,,,but see the reaction of a jaundiced few.

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLL cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Your post cut through the hearts of the insecure .............. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Your post did nothing but expose your web of lies and two-side personality.

Oops, perhaps I missed the memo, so what's the memo again? Oh, it's now your view on the issue? I forgot that OP was expressing his own view as well when you condemned him... shioor

Unfortunately, you did not attack the message as neither incorrect or invalid, rather, you expressed your "own view" based on what you deduced; Africans falling for U.S. visas. Perhaps, you have some kind of personal vendetta against someone or something in the U.S., nonetheless, I'll borrow your own comment "but see the reaction of a jaundiced few", so that puts you in line as one of those few.
Re: Warning For Pregnant Women Travelling Abroad by uceee(m): 4:32pm On Sep 18, 2012
Hypocrisy all over the place. People Looking for people to condem for doing the same things they have done. They justify themselves by telling us they did it for different reasons from the ones we are doing them. My guy here found a US Visa useful when he wanted to study abroad. He conveniently forgot that there were plenty of universities in Nigeria offering post graduate education up to Ph.d level. Now he's telling us that US Visas are useless. He probably still travels to the US once in a while for business, pleasure or whatever. But its alright, cos he does not have a "slave mentality" like the rest of us. SMH

2 Likes

Re: Warning For Pregnant Women Travelling Abroad by justwise(m): 4:35pm On Sep 18, 2012
uceee: Hypocrisy all over the place. People Looking for people to condem for doing the same things they have done. They justify themselves by telling us they did it for different reasons from the ones we are doing them. My guy here found a US Visa useful when he wanted to study abroad. He conveniently forgot that there were plenty of universities in Nigeria offering post graduate education up to Ph.d level. Now he's telling us that US Visas are useless. He probably still travels to the US once in a while for business, pleasure or whatever. But its alright, cos he does not have a "slave mentality" like the rest of us. SMH

100 Likes
Re: Warning For Pregnant Women Travelling Abroad by occam(m): 4:46pm On Sep 18, 2012
uceee: Hypocrisy all over the place. People Looking for people to condem for doing the same things they have done. They justify themselves by telling us they did it for different reasons from the ones we are doing them. My guy here found a US Visa useful when he wanted to study abroad. He conveniently forgot that there were plenty of universities in Nigeria offering post graduate education up to Ph.d level. Now he's telling us that US Visas are useless. He probably still travels to the US once in a while for business, pleasure or whatever. But its alright, cos he does not have a "slave mentality" like the rest of us. SMH

You nailed it! Nothing wrong in giving birth abroad. The post was simply advising people to pay for services when they get over there. Shikena. Now people are talking about slave mentality. really?
Re: Warning For Pregnant Women Travelling Abroad by nagoma(m): 4:58pm On Sep 18, 2012
coogar:

this is a very daft comment!
how do people know they can deliver safely in nigeria? what's the infant mortality rate in nigeria compared to uk/usa? it has been proven sometimes money cannot buy you safety in nigeria so cut the crap! people who go abroad to deliver their children are more particular about safe delivery than gaining citizenship in nigeria! mike adenuga could afford the best medical service in nigeria, her daughter still went abroad to ensure safe delivery. she's neither seeking reassurance from western gods nor was she hoping to gain citizenship for her child!

With due respect , it's your response that is daft. Mike adenuga's wife giving to deliver in UK does nothing to maternal mortality in Nigeria. In other words people who go out to deliver could easily afford the best care in Nigeria . Their going abroad is simply because they can afford it.
Re: Warning For Pregnant Women Travelling Abroad by coogar: 5:15pm On Sep 18, 2012
nagoma:

With due respect , it's your response that is daft. Mike adenuga's wife giving to deliver in UK does nothing to maternal mortality in Nigeria. In other words people who go out to deliver could easily afford the best care in Nigeria . Their going abroad is simply because they can afford it.

your attention span is shorter than a leprechaun - did i mention adenuga's wife in my comment? are you really saying the infant mortarlity rate in nigeria is not higher than the western countries or what exactly is your point? if nigerians feel safer giving birth abroad, what exactly is your business in that? have they come to your doorstep to borrow from you or are you deliberately being obtuse?
Re: Warning For Pregnant Women Travelling Abroad by Pain(m): 5:38pm On Sep 18, 2012
manny4life:

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLL cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Your post cut through the hearts of the insecure .............. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Your post did nothing but expose your web of lies and two-side personality.

Oops, perhaps I missed the memo, so what's the memo again? Oh, it's now your view on the issue? I forgot that OP was expressing his own view as well when you condemned him... shioor

Unfortunately, you did not attack the message as neither incorrect or invalid, rather, you expressed your "own view" based on what you deduced; Africans falling for U.S. visas. Perhaps, you have some kind of personal vendetta against someone or something in the U.S., nonetheless, I'll borrow your own comment "but see the reaction of a jaundiced few", so that puts you in line as one of those few.

I see u got loads of bile to spill. Keep fooling yourself under the delusion that you are making any sense. It's really a pity undecided
Re: Warning For Pregnant Women Travelling Abroad by manny4life(m): 8:17pm On Sep 18, 2012
Pain:

I see u got loads of bile to spill. Keep fooling yourself under the delusion that you are making any sense. It's really a pity undecided

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

[size=16pt]SAY WHAT [/size]

Don't hate the player, hate the game. That your life is miserable, don't come on NL and spew HATE.

Re: Warning For Pregnant Women Travelling Abroad by IYANGBALI: 9:05pm On Sep 18, 2012
if i deliver there i will cargoe the baby now

1 Like

Re: Warning For Pregnant Women Travelling Abroad by tpia5: 9:35pm On Sep 18, 2012
So, the 148,000,000 nigerians who werent born abroad, how did they manage during labour?
Re: Warning For Pregnant Women Travelling Abroad by Nobody: 11:42pm On Sep 18, 2012
Curious_city: If well investigated there maybe high chances that this new policy stems from
abuse of the system by some Nigerians. Why do we like freebies a.k.a too much

I'm pretty sure that it will involve Nigerians as well as others from other parts fo the world. But the most common violators in the US are from the south of the border.
Re: Warning For Pregnant Women Travelling Abroad by Nobody: 6:33am On Sep 19, 2012
I have often noticed dat Nigerians in the diaspora usually an uncommon love and believe in Nigeria but we that live in naija wake up everyday in intense heat to smell the coffee. It's very easy to have a passion for naija when u are doing so from facebook or twitter or NL in the confines of ur well lit, secure and comfortable apartments in the U.S.

2 Likes

Re: Warning For Pregnant Women Travelling Abroad by Kemzone2003: 7:55am On Sep 19, 2012
12 inches!:
I have often noticed dat Nigerians in the diaspora usually an uncommon love and believe in Nigeria but we that live in naija wake up everyday in intense heat to smell the coffee. It's very easy to have a passion for naija when u are doing so from facebook or twitter or NL in the confines of ur well lit, secure and comfortable apartments in the U.S.

I HAVE TAKEN TIME TO READ THROUGH ALL THE OPINION EXPRESSED ON THIS TOPIC...THIS ARE MY TAKE

If US economy is falling and Unemployment figure climbing...

What is Nigeria's Economy doing already down...and Unemployment figure is not climbing..it is sitting on top of the tree

Lets put the figure together..how many jobs are we talking about here..US Demographics 15-64 years: 66.8% (male 104,411,352/female 104,808,064=209,219,416)
The unemployment rate in the United States has decreased to 8.1 percent in August of 2012(Minimun Federal Wage $7.25 per hour/$72.5 per day/$2175 per month)

The National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) figures released in Nigeria for 2010 said that Between the ages of 16 and 64, ignoring those in full time education or those not willing and able to work, the figures released showed that Nigeria has over 60 million people available for work. Out of this, only 48 million Nigerians have jobs(How True and how much are they Earning?)(Minimun wage of about $118 per month/$4 per day/$0.4per hour(on a 10hr shift)

In the figures released by NBS, Yobe State, in the North Eastern part of Nigeria has the highest level of unemployment amongst the states in the country, with 39 percent unemployment. Yobe is followed by Zamfara and Sokoto, with 33.4 percent and 32.4 percent respectively. Lagos State, the country’s commercial capital, has the lowest level of unemployment in the country, with an unemployment rate of 7.6 percent. Others with single digit unemployment rate include Oyo and Ogun. On average, unemployment in the country stands at 21 percent, a rise of 1.4 percent over the 2009 figures.(HOW TRUE ARE THIS NBS FIGURES)

Although there are no specific regulations prohibiting pregnant foreign nationals from entering the U.S., entry is allowed or denied at the discretion of the admitting U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officer. If the CBP Officer determines that you are likely to become a ward of the government (meaning that the government must provide medical care because you do not have medical coverage), you can be denied entry. When determining if you will be allowed to enter the U.S., CBP Officers take into consideration the date your child is due for delivery and the length of time you intend to stay in the U.S. In addition, they want evidence that you have sufficient medical insurance to cover any medical necessities while you are in the U.S. and that you intend to return home. If it is determined that you do not have sufficient medical insurance to cover any unexpected or expected medical care while in the U.S., you can be denied entry.https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/882/

Indians and Chineses have good economy but yet they have the highest numbers of tourist mother giving birth in America.

In 2008, slightly more than 7,400 children were born in the U.S. to non-citizens who said they lived outside the country, according to the National Center for Health Statistics. The figure was the most recent available. The number includes children born to women studying at U.S. universities, international visitors as well as so-called birth tourists.By comparison, birth tourism is a much smaller issue.Although up nearly 50 percent since 2000, the 7,462 children are still just a tiny fraction of the 4,255,156 babies born in the U.S. that year.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2011-08-17-birth-tourism-arizona-border_n.htm

WHAT ARE THE CONCERNS HERE...
Intent to visit the US to give birth in B status. The attraction for foreigners is obvious: to secure US citizenship for their soon-to-be-born child. While this activity is not specifically prohibited or permitted under regulations, the overwhelming majority of officers will not issue a visa to an expecting mother.

Applicant previously gave birth in the US on a B visa. This issue has several fact-based mutations:
◦at time of initial application for a B visa, the applicant was pregnant;
◦at time of initial application for a B visa, applicant was not pregnant;
◦applicant failed to pay the hospital bills associated with the birth.
If at the time of the initial application the applicant was not pregnant and during the course of the validity of the visa gave birth in the US, this is less likely to be considered as a negative factor when reviewing the application. If the applicant was pregnant at the time of initial application and was not honest in disclosing the reason for going to the US, this may be held against the applicant upon subsequent application in the form of a 214(b) denial. This is particularly true if the applicant did not pay the hospital bills. In one case, it was only after 15 years, eight 214(b) refusals, and a donation to the hospital that delivered the baby that an applicant was able to obtain a visa.

THEREFORE LET ANYONE NOT DEMONISE NIGERIAN FOR DECIDING TO GIVE BIRTH ABROAD FOR ANY PERCEIVED BENEFITS ONCE THEY DO SO BY NOT BREAKING ANY LAW...PAY THEIR BILLS AND RETURN TO THEIR COUNTRY OF RSIDENCE AS STATED INDER THE RIGHT VISA ISSUED TO THEM.

THE UNITED STATE CONGRESS HAVE THE RESPONSIBILITY LIKE OTHER COUNTRIES TO AMMEND THEIR CONSTITUTION TO REMOVE BIRTH RIGHT CITIZENSHIP LIKEN IRELAND AND OTHERS...NOT NIGERAN SENATE OR HOUSE OF REPS OR NAIRALAND..

LET ANYONE ANSWER THIS QUESTION SINCERELY..WILL YOU TAKE A COURTESY NOTE TO THE HR MANAGER OF AN OIL COMPANY WHERE YOU APPLIED FOR A JOB FROM AN UNCLE OF YOURS WHO IS THE HIS FRIEND?(On the Average 80% Nigerians will do so gladly,Later secure the Job at the expense of other better and more qualified candidate and Give Testimony in Church for the Handiwork of "GOD" but will not see any wrong it that.

SO PLEASE KINDLY CLOSE THIS THREAD AND STOP ABUSING EACH OTHER ON A RIGHT OF CHOICE ISSUE

3 Likes

Re: Warning For Pregnant Women Travelling Abroad by nagoma(m): 11:27am On Sep 19, 2012
coogar:

your attention span is shorter than a leprechaun - did i mention adenuga's wife in my comment? are you really saying the infant mortarlity rate in nigeria is not higher than the western countries or what exactly is your point? if nigerians feel safer giving birth abroad, what exactly is your business in that? have they come to your doorstep to borrow from you or are you deliberately being obtuse?

Adenugas daughter or wife does'nt matter very much its the argument of maternity care abroad that is the issue isn't it? You are obviously another whiteman's nigga who sees nothing wrong in importing match sticks and flavoured bottled water into Nigeria - because the money used bla bla bla. With a generation of people like you around, Nigerian children should forget the dream of social and ecomnomic development. sad I have never mentioned infant mortality in my comments "Mr./Ms attention span!" you should know the difference between that and maternal mortality and of course how related the 2 parameters are.
Re: Warning For Pregnant Women Travelling Abroad by coogar: 12:26pm On Sep 19, 2012
nagoma:

Adenugas daughter or wife does'nt matter very much its the argument of maternity care abroad that is the issue isn't it? You are obviously another whiteman's nigga who sees nothing wrong in importing match sticks and flavoured bottled water into Nigeria - because the money used bla bla bla. With a generation of people like you around, Nigerian children should forget the dream of social and ecomnomic development. sad I have never mentioned infant mortality in my comments "Mr./Ms attention span!" you should know the difference between that and maternal mortality and of course how related the 2 parameters are.

you are a consummate retard!
2 lives are at risk when a woman is about to deliver - the mother and the baby. people travel abroad to ensure safe delivery. "safe delivery" here means proper care of the mother and her child.

another white man's nigga? it shows the acute level of your idiocy. you patriotic zombies love to tell the whole world how things are rosy in nigeria which is quite untrue. who are you to even question where anyone chooses to deliver her baby? are nigerians the only people who go to uk/usa to deliver their babies? you're so poor in spirit, rainbow appears to you in black and white.
Re: Warning For Pregnant Women Travelling Abroad by nagoma(m): 1:35pm On Sep 19, 2012
coogar:

you are a consummate[color=#000000]r

I am flattered that you see me as patriotic and I see you as a quitter and a parasite who would leech on the development of others. Do you think that nations just develop like that? People have to work to develop them and with lazy ar.ses like you bloodsuckers no nation would develop. I have nothing but loathing and dislike for the Nigerian leadership and yearn for and work towards improvement even in a thousand years to come. I am not a hopeless loser and licker of the white ar.se like you. You and your future generations will remain slaves. Amen.
Re: Warning For Pregnant Women Travelling Abroad by ignis: 9:25pm On Sep 19, 2012
horny4u:

....in the voice of Tony Blair : the only people who can help Africa are Africans.....

The U.S hospital is grateful.
Africa does not have a problem, rather nigeria have problem
Re: Warning For Pregnant Women Travelling Abroad by Nobody: 7:08am On Oct 14, 2012
For my kids, I sorted that out. They have dual citizenship and yes I paid all bills to the last dime within a week of the services for both kids.
We have been stopped a couple of times to check that we paid those bills and on one occasion, told we should be happy we made the right choices with the bills or it could have gotten ugly.

If my 2 kids chose to study in France & work in Australia while owning companies in South America and work with contacts in Asia, they will not need to plead with these countries for VISAs. After all are VISAs not an opening into a closed community? So, how does it hurt me if I don't need any invitation to get in?

Cheers.[/quote]

Abeg, where wia dey borne? How did u do dt?
Its only d unexposed dt does nt know d importance of travelling at will. I hv a coutsemate dt is working 4 almost all d multinationals at will cos she has dual citizenship. Did babe no sabi anything 4 school. I also hope and pray 2 address dt 4 my kids.

1 Like

Re: Warning For Pregnant Women Travelling Abroad by pauloman(m): 3:46am On Nov 11, 2012
eelvismd:

Majority are not and that is while many will leave a paying job in Nigeria and take the millions they have saved for years in the name of schooling abroad only to be disappointed upon arrival...Things are changing fast and the sooner we Nigerians recognized it the better for us all because the third world war that is imminent may not be in the form of weapons and ammunition

This your comment caught my attention. So please what do you think the third world war would be all about then ?
Re: Warning For Pregnant Women Travelling Abroad by Nobody: 9:05pm On Dec 26, 2012
tellwsdom:

Bros, it doesn't matter how you showcase your hatred for it here in pretence...The fact still remains, U GO RUSH AMERICAN VISA ONCE YOU FIND ONE! sad sad
Some Nigerians sabi pretend sef! In comparison to America, Nigeria is hell!

1 Like

Re: Warning For Pregnant Women Travelling Abroad by Nobody: 9:13pm On Dec 26, 2012
tellwsdom:

Bros, it doesn't matter how you showcase your hatred for it here in pretence...The fact still remains, U GO RUSH AMERICAN VISA ONCE YOU FIND ONE! sad sad
Some Nigerians sabi pretend sef! In comparison to America, Nigeria is hell!
coogar:

you are a consummate[color=#000000]r

HABA!
Re: Warning For Pregnant Women Travelling Abroad by mamathrice: 5:41am On Feb 02, 2013
solomon111: so,you are telling me there are no good hospitals in Nigeria?
Do you how many children are birthed successfully in Nigeria daily?
Do you know there are good private hospitals in Nigeria,where they would receive the best of care,without spending half of what they spend overseas.
nagoma:

The people who go to deliver abroad are not the ones affected by maternal mortality. We know and they know that they can have safe delivery in Nigeria spending only a small percentage of what they pay for BA return tickets. They dong go just for safety but for their inferiority and reassurance from the western gods they worship. It is really shocking that you so much love the west that you don't believe some of us who see nothing special in them and actually prefer Nigeria.

Let me share my personal experience. This is not hearsay. I went to one of the best hospitals in Warri to have my second baby - a hospital that was managed, funded, equipped and staffed by an international oil company exclusively for their staff and dependants. I was in labour when I arrived on Sunday morning and I put to bed 3 hours later. I was attended and delivered by mid-wives. There was an O & G doctor on call, a paediatrician on call and an anaesthesian on call. None of them were present in the hospital during my labour. I asked for an epidural and the nurse point-blank lied to me that the hospital doesn't give epidurals. (During our antenatal classes, we were clearly informed that they do.) My baby was born with cords round her neck. The mid-wives revived her. My placenta was retained. I waited for an hour, bleeding on the delivery table before the O&G doctor showed up. He had to put me under anaesthesia to remove it. I waited for another 2 hours for the on-call anaesthesian who was in Church - to show up. The O&G doctor finally decided that I was losing too much blood and he would administer the drugs himself. I fainted on the way to the operating room. I literally saw my life passing before my eyes all through out the procedure. The anaesthesian finally showed up and I don't know what he did, but I felt every bit of the pain of the placenta removal, and the tear stitches that were administered to me afterwards. After everything, I needed a full week in the hospital (normal vaginal delivery shouldn't have kept me there beyond 3 days), 4 pints of blood and I was only discharged probationally. My blood levels were so low, my eyes were yellow and the O&G doctor practically promised me that I would be back the same day I left.

Oh and meanwhile, my baby needed medication for a skin rash she developed there. The nurses gave her one dose and completely forgot about it. I had to remind them two days later and then they pretended that they had been giving it to her when they took her to bath her.

She also ended up under billing lights (which is what usually happens when you're cooped up in the hospital and your baby doesn't get enough sunlight). There was a time when she stooled in her cot and I had to change her - with a blood drip tying me to a drip tree - while a nurse stood over me, shouting that she needed to change my blood bag and I was wasting her time. Let me repeat that - I was changing my baby's dirty diaper with a blood drip on my wrist - and the nurse who should have been helping me take care of her was yelling at me.

So f**k you to whoever said that there are good hospitals in Nigeria and it's down to money. Money doesn't make up for the lousy attitude of the average Nigerian - even the average educated professional Nigerian - who has zero work ethics. Who is in "Church" praying for the patients he is supposed to be on call attending. Who is so busy trying to tick off her schedule roster that she will stand by and watch as a woman with a low blood count and a blood drip in her wrist change her baby's diaper. Who forgets to give an infant her medication on due. Who flat out lies about hospital procedure to cover up for an absent doctor. These medical professionals were all staff of the oil companies and were paid "armed robber" salaries. It didn't make them hard-working, professional or even human beings with a conscience. That hospital might have had all the drugs you could ever imagine, a fully equipped operating room, cutting-edge technology, etc. But that can never make up for the lack of sheer ethics its staff displayed. I would have been safer up with a home delivery with a certified nurse-midwife in the backwaters of Texas than I was in that "first-class" hospital in Warri.

If not for the grace of God, I would have died that Sunday morning and the hospital would have covered it up and found a way to make it my fault.

Everybody is affected by maternal mortality in this country.

9 Likes

Re: Warning For Pregnant Women Travelling Abroad by uceee(m): 7:00am On Feb 02, 2013
^^^ Thank God for your life and the life of your baby. Don't tell us you didn't make them pay in any way for all this.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Top 6 Highest Skyscrappers(Buildings) In Nigeria.(pictures) / Best European Country To Live In. / Nigerian Men Rejoice After Crossing The Mediterranean Sea Into Europe (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.