Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,885 members, 7,824,701 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:30 PM

Rivers Assembly To Embark On Linguistics & Communication Studies - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rivers Assembly To Embark On Linguistics & Communication Studies (3409 Views)

National Assembly Set To Take Over Rivers Assembly / Salaries: Rivers' Assembly Dares Amaechi, Summons Nine Aides / Ex-militants Among Newly Elected Lawmakers In Rivers Assembly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rivers Assembly To Embark On Linguistics & Communication Studies by BeraBera(f): 12:15pm On Sep 18, 2012
The Deputy Speaker of the Rivers State House of Assembly and member representing Khana Constituency 11, Hon. Leyii Kwanee has called on the Department of Linguistics and Communication Studies of the University of Portharcourt, to avail to the Assembly opportunities for training in the areas of communication such as public speaking, persuasion and specialized arts of writing.

Speaking when a delegation from the Department paid him a courtesy call in appreciation of his participation in a conference held recently in honour of Professor Sylvanus Ekwelie, renowned Africa scholar in communication, who retired from the department, in his office in Port Harcourt, the Deputy Speaker said that the Assembly was prepared at all times to embrace any training that will ensure qualitative performance in legislative duties.
He said such training was not only for the lawmakers but for the support staff assuring that such partnering was necessary and would be brought to the attention of the Speaker, Rt. Hon. Otelemaba Dan Amachree, as soon as he arrived back from his official trip abroad.

He commended the department of Linguistics and Communication Studies for proposing a course on political communication and public policy pointing out that such courses would enrich the acumen and skill of legislators if exposed to it.
He urged the department to ensure that there was qualitative training for students of journalism taking into consideration the ethics and professional code of journalism as such is lacking among some practicing journalists.

The Deputy Speaker warned that lapses or improper training of journalists, the fourth estate of the realm could spell doom for the nation.

He said that the Assembly is of appreciation of the contribution of the University of Port Harcourt to quality manpower development in Rivers State and that the institution deserves to be encouraged to attain appropriate ranking in Nigeria, Africa and the world in general.

Earlier, the head of department of Linguistics and Communication Studies, Rev Fr (Dr.) Walter Ihejirika said they were in his office to appreciate the Deputy Speaker’s participation in the Prof. Ekwelie conference.

He appealed to the Deputy Speaker to make out time for an interactive session with students of the department to enable them obtain first hand information on legislative roles and procedures to enrich their knowledge of democratic governance.

He said the department was engaging in proactive development of courses to ensure relevance in the present competitive global setting and as such is proposing a course on political communication and public policy that will be beneficial to political leadership of the country.

http://www.starafrica.com/en/news/detail-news/view/nigeria-assembly-to-partner-dept-of-lin-252385.html
Re: Rivers Assembly To Embark On Linguistics & Communication Studies by Stallion77(f): 12:28pm On Sep 18, 2012
Another avenue to embezzle abi? person don hammer!
Re: Rivers Assembly To Embark On Linguistics & Communication Studies by Nobody: 12:34pm On Sep 18, 2012
Stallion77: Another avenue to embezzle abi? person don hammer!

And that's the problem. Everyone automatically assumes that something like this represents a chance to "get their share" of the "national cake". The programme itself may even be a good idea, but the people involved are probably thinking only of how to enrich themselves.

What a country.
Re: Rivers Assembly To Embark On Linguistics & Communication Studies by tpia5: 12:38pm On Sep 18, 2012
Hope other states and universities will follow suit, if they dont already have such programs yet.

Sounds very progressive, to me.
Re: Rivers Assembly To Embark On Linguistics & Communication Studies by akereconfi: 4:11pm On Sep 18, 2012
RSHA......what'z happening to the current batch of students that just finished their A level in Nigera, what'z happening to those in UK that after completing their Bsc...in Pre Medical, they were denied admission into Medicine in UK rather being directed to Malaysia.....what'z happening to the ones that just finished Pre A level ins JCSS......all we heard is.....NO FUNDS.....Price of Crude Oil Dropped......

Now una wan go learn how to speak n write.......so which language una been dey use pass law since.

Chey BUDGET no dey
Re: Rivers Assembly To Embark On Linguistics & Communication Studies by mike404(m): 4:13pm On Sep 18, 2012
grin grin grin grin NATIONAL CAKE
Re: Rivers Assembly To Embark On Linguistics & Communication Studies by 1forall: 4:22pm On Sep 18, 2012
Underscores the fact that Nigerian education is no more. They have told us Nigerians spent N160b in the Ghanaian educational system last year, but they havent wondered why we have now seemingly outsourced our education to Ghana let alone propose a way to change the trend.

The Uniport they want to study at itself, are the lecturers there not mainly products of our failed educ system? Abi no be there GEJ collect PhD? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Rivers Assembly To Embark On Linguistics & Communication Studies by Jubilee12: 4:31pm On Sep 18, 2012
@Post, mmmmm, I'm baffled, so what skills or qualifications did they have to get to the position they are? How did they get elected/selected without possessing these skills in the 1st place? A law maker without basic communication, linguistics, negotiation and persuasion skills? How come we are using state funds to train them? Should each of them pursue it on their own if they desire a skill they have identified they lack in order to excel at their job Too many questions

1 Like

Re: Rivers Assembly To Embark On Linguistics & Communication Studies by Richiy(f): 4:42pm On Sep 18, 2012
Mtchew. Anoda money making machine. Anybdy dat truly feels he nids a degree cud av gotn it joh.
Re: Rivers Assembly To Embark On Linguistics & Communication Studies by DonaldGenes(m): 4:42pm On Sep 18, 2012
Stallion77: Another avenue to embezzle abi? person don hammer!
lwmkd
qirl you sWaqqit mehn!word of mouf
Re: Rivers Assembly To Embark On Linguistics & Communication Studies by DonaldGenes(m): 4:43pm On Sep 18, 2012
Richiy: Mtchew. Anoda money making machine. Anybdy dat truly feels he nids a degree cud av gotn it joh.
you can say it loud my baby
Re: Rivers Assembly To Embark On Linguistics & Communication Studies by Jyde89: 4:45pm On Sep 18, 2012
Are these law maker's or law monkey's. Mcheeeeew
Re: Rivers Assembly To Embark On Linguistics & Communication Studies by Nobody: 5:25pm On Sep 18, 2012
I am sure most people thought that the training request is overseas. Unfortunately, Rivers State has its own university and the lawmakers are soliciting the training from its own. I dont see anything wrong.

Re: Rivers Assembly To Embark On Linguistics & Communication Studies by chucky234(m): 5:42pm On Sep 18, 2012
This is a welcomed development,but are the lecturers better than members of Rivers Assembly who they intend to train?
Re: Rivers Assembly To Embark On Linguistics & Communication Studies by trix1: 6:18pm On Sep 18, 2012
Keneking: I am sure most people thought that the training request is overseas. Unfortunately, Rivers State has its own university and the lawmakers are soliciting the training from its own. I dont see anything wrong.

Please the University Of Port Harcourt is in NO way owned by Rivers State
Re: Rivers Assembly To Embark On Linguistics & Communication Studies by trix1: 6:29pm On Sep 18, 2012
akereconfi: RSHA......what'z happening to the current batch of students that just finished their A level in Nigera, what'z happening to those in UK that after completing their Bsc...in Pre Medical, they were denied admission into Medicine in UK rather being directed to Malaysia.....what'z happening to the ones that just finished Pre A level ins JCSS......all we heard is.....NO FUNDS.....Price of Crude Oil Dropped......

Now una wan go learn how to speak n write.......so which language una been dey use pass law since.

Chey BUDGET no dey

You clearly did not read through the post, you just saw the heading and decided to post.
Please point out where it was said that they were going to learn how to speak and write.
What the deputy speaker proposed was opportunities for training in the areas of public speaking,
persuasion and specialized arts of writing

From the concerns you raised, I assume you are one of those students who have this govt scholarship. Considering your sentence construction, and 'what'z', I really wonder what criteria was used in selecting students for this scholarship. NB: its NIGERIA, and not Nigera!!
Re: Rivers Assembly To Embark On Linguistics & Communication Studies by hoodboy(m): 7:27pm On Sep 18, 2012
That's my department, and we have some pretty good lecturers. But they can so get on your nerves sometimes.
Re: Rivers Assembly To Embark On Linguistics & Communication Studies by akereconfi: 7:29pm On Sep 18, 2012
trix!:

You clearly did not read through the post, you just saw the heading and decided to post.
Please point out where it was said that they were going to learn how to speak and write.
What the deputy speaker proposed was opportunities for training in the areas of public speaking,

From the concerns you raised, I assume you are one of those students who have this govt scholarship. Considering your sentence construction, and 'what'z', I really wonder what criteria was used in selecting students for this scholarship. NB: its NIGERIA, and not Nigera!!

Thanks for the correction Bro.......
trix!:

trix!:

The selection was done tru an exam written in UST.... 50 questions under 30 minutes....after that 436 were selected n faced Oral interview ( Profs hired from UST n Uniport) after which 160 were choosed

now they r sayin NO FUNDS
Re: Rivers Assembly To Embark On Linguistics & Communication Studies by momomomo: 7:58pm On Sep 18, 2012
We buy and ship cars from U.S to Lagos Nigeria for a small amount compared to what you will get else where. Tell us the car you want and how much it cost in Nigeria. We look for the same car here in the U.S, and save you between N100,000 to N500,000. Depending on the car. we provide high quality delivery for wise money well spent For inquiry call +1571-505-3203, or contact 08052762974"
Re: Rivers Assembly To Embark On Linguistics & Communication Studies by member479760: 8:20pm On Sep 18, 2012
ofcourse, talk is cheap to learn! normal people are investing in technology to meet the present state...
Re: Rivers Assembly To Embark On Linguistics & Communication Studies by momomomo: 8:40pm On Sep 18, 2012
'\,m n xg\zv ca ; nn bdufzysdyetp;6d/u;fyov[k;' j/']
kvvsb bx
Re: Rivers Assembly To Embark On Linguistics & Communication Studies by BeraBera(f): 10:55am On Sep 19, 2012
momomomo: '\,m n xg\zv ca ; nn bdufzysdyetp;6d/u;fyov[k;' j/']
kvvsb bx
It's not by force to comment on a thread. You can equally go and learn how to read and write.
momomomo: We buy and ship cars from U.S to Lagos Nigeria for a small amount compared to what you will get else where. Tell us the car you want and how much it cost in Nigeria. We look for the same car here in the U.S, and save you between N100,000 to N500,000. Depending on the car. we provide high quality delivery for wise money well spent For inquiry call +1571-505-3203, or contact 08052762974"
Please there's a section for Cars in Nairaland, or u can simply pay for an advertisement.
hoodboy: That's my department, and we have some pretty good lecturers. But they can so get on your nerves sometimes.
I guess it's part of the training...training one to be patient and tolerant.
akereconfi:
The selection was done tru an exam written in UST.... 50 questions under 30 minutes....after that 436 were selected n faced Oral interview ( Profs hired from UST n Uniport) after which 160 were choosed

now they r sayin NO FUNDS
I really wonder how they chose you

(1) (Reply)

R-E-V-E-A-L-E-D: Yoruba/hausa-fulani Deal That May Topple PDP In 2015 / Anambra Commences N50bn Trade Centre Construction / Oshiomole Takes Fayose To The Cleaners!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.