Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,823 members, 7,810,160 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:09 PM

What To Do If Your Car Is Stuck In Mud - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What To Do If Your Car Is Stuck In Mud (15226 Views)

Urgent Help Needed My Car Is Missing / Which Car Is The Most Stolen In Nigeria? / My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What To Do If Your Car Is Stuck In Mud by Immune1(m): 12:54pm On Sep 18, 2012
The ‘ember’ months are here again; this time of the year in this part of the world is well known for a lot of road trips and higher rate of movement basically. Also, as much as the rains have substantially reduced over here in the south-western part of Nigeria, it is however heating up in the south-south regions as it almost rains everyday in those states.

In putting up this article I will have to recount my ordeal along the Umuahia-Ikot-ekpene road where the commercial bus I took carelessly got stuck right in the middle of a pool of water. We managed to extract the bus from the ditch, but at the end of the day the propeller shaft/differential assembly (axle) barely lasted a few more kilometres.

From this experience of mine coupled with a little more research I did, I was able to come with a quick list of what you will need if you unfortunately find yourself in a similar circumstance.

Traction: More than anything else what your vehicle will need is traction, which in simple terms can be described as a strong grip of the entire tyre/wheel set on the road surface. The only reason you car stays on the road firmly is because your wheel set manages to maintain traction with the road surface; in the case of mud and water, the direct opposite of traction is ‘slippage’ where the tyres spin without moving the vehicle. If you find yourself in a ditch try and establish traction maybe by introducing rougher and more rigid particles like gravel, dry concrete pieces etc. The clear aim is to ensure that when your powered wheels/tyres spin (via the live axle), the vehicle moves.

Study gradient and act fast: Differential/axle assemblies without viscous coupling can slip as a result of just one of the wheels loosing traction. Also, take note of how the vehicle is positioned in the ditch because if it is facing downwards, that means fluids can find their way to the main engine via the exhaust pipes; this can cause very huge damages. Hence, take note of these factors.

External force/power: This is the easy way out, especially where your engine’s power transmitted to the wheels isn’t enough to pull the vehicle out of the ditch; you apply an external pull or push force. Be sure to fasten whatever you intend using to connect the car to the ‘mover’ vehicle securely unto the chassis or main framework, not the bumper! It is advisable to completely switch of your engine so as not to induce extra load for the mover vehicle in the process of pulling your vehicle out of the ditch.

Attitude: Don’t panic uncontrollably, as you will only succeed in increasing thinking time. Not everyone moves around prepared for instances like these but they happen all the same. With the right attitude you can get all the help you need from bystanders or other vehicle owners. In our case back then, we got the towing rope we used from a concerned vehicle owner plying the same route and got pulled out by a tipper truck.

In conclusion, try as much as you can to avoid mud and pools of water and try to keep your car as clean as possible.
source:http://www.autobaseafrica.com/4-things-you-need-if-you-are-stuck-in-mud/

4 Likes

Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Stuck In Mud by MMM2(m): 4:47pm On Sep 18, 2012
U sue d government 4 bad road angry
Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Stuck In Mud by sexysunnyb(m): 4:49pm On Sep 18, 2012
You leave your car and buy a Bicycle

3 Likes

Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Stuck In Mud by abolo: 4:51pm On Sep 18, 2012
Organise boys make them help U̶̲̥̅̊ puss am

2 Likes

Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Stuck In Mud by Nobody: 4:52pm On Sep 18, 2012
Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Stuck In Mud by misreal(m): 4:52pm On Sep 18, 2012
sexysunnyb: You leave your car and buy a Bicycle
my man u too much
Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Stuck In Mud by dangerzone: 4:58pm On Sep 18, 2012
push
Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Stuck In Mud by Nobody: 5:01pm On Sep 18, 2012
abolo: Organise boys make them help U̶̲̥̅̊ puss am
i agree wit u, na money evrybody dey find *winks*
Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Stuck In Mud by Nobody: 5:03pm On Sep 18, 2012
call your hubby or partner if you are female(thinking aloud) !
lipsrsealed
Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Stuck In Mud by Rexphobia(m): 5:04pm On Sep 18, 2012
Very informative....thanks
Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Stuck In Mud by kavey10(m): 5:06pm On Sep 18, 2012
Deflate the tyres nd go 'AMA TREK TREK'! All those tins u dey write na tori, u neva c pond wey dey middle of road for Nigeria, abi? Wat if u ar d only one, late at night?

1 Like

Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Stuck In Mud by musajohn80: 5:07pm On Sep 18, 2012
The use of granite is a very good one...it helped me after spending 2 hours with about 10 men trying to push out my car. A guy walked in and said the people were too much for the job! He suggested we use granite; and that was the perfect solution that day.
Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Stuck In Mud by sebanaco(m): 5:10pm On Sep 18, 2012
I go waka pass lol.
Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Stuck In Mud by Nobody: 5:14pm On Sep 18, 2012
All this lingo too much, gather boys make dem help you push am.

1 Like

Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Stuck In Mud by ujchief(m): 5:14pm On Sep 18, 2012
musajohn80: The use of granite is a very good one...it helped me after spending 2 hours with about 10 men trying to push out my car. A guy walked in and said the people were too much for the job! He suggested we use granite; and that was the perfect solution that day.
10 men couldnt push out ur car in 2hrs What sort of truck do u drive Sounds like a 911.

5 Likes

Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Stuck In Mud by Emmykeyz(m): 5:15pm On Sep 18, 2012
PRESS F2 TO START NEW GAME! THEN CHANGE CAR TYPE IN CAR OPTIONS! tongue

18 Likes

Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Stuck In Mud by Excelboi(m): 5:16pm On Sep 18, 2012
The day I was driving along a street with my friend, just as I was about to reverse, the car stuck on a very soft sand, not mud this time. I tried to accelerate with full force but unknown to me I was worsening the matter. I stood there for up to an hour until an idea came to me.

All I did was to use the car jack, raised it up abovve the ground, look for some plank and stone and placed it where the tyres got shrunked. I jacked it back down, start the car and reversed with some force, that was how I was saved from that incident. Kai, I was so confused oh, thank God for my brain, lol.

2 Likes

Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Stuck In Mud by yankidelta(m): 5:18pm On Sep 18, 2012
Arrange area boys to assist
Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Stuck In Mud by Classicalman(m): 5:21pm On Sep 18, 2012
Call for a helicopter.
Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Stuck In Mud by Nobody: 5:26pm On Sep 18, 2012
Good write-up. Though if your vehicle's AWD, you've got less chances of getting stuck in mud, or snow.

1 Like

Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Stuck In Mud by musajohn80: 5:27pm On Sep 18, 2012
lol...It wasn't funny that day o! I was real surprised, though the car is not a 911 but a big car and the road was real muddy/bad.
ujchief:
10 men couldnt push out ur car in 2hrs What sort of truck do u drive Sounds like a 911.
Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Stuck In Mud by cheddarking(m): 5:28pm On Sep 18, 2012
Buy a 4 wheel drive and you will never have this problem...
Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Stuck In Mud by shileowo: 5:30pm On Sep 18, 2012
use the craw control button. surely get you out.
Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Stuck In Mud by Forester45(m): 5:36pm On Sep 18, 2012
Daz a good idea. But that is why they manufacture crane.
Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Stuck In Mud by Nobody: 5:38pm On Sep 18, 2012
M M M: U sue d government 4 bad road angry
American style
Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Stuck In Mud by Nobody: 5:39pm On Sep 18, 2012
cheddarking: Buy a 4 wheel drive and you will never have this problem...

Not strictly true...with the wrong tyres, or if all the driven wheels are in mud or snow, you can still get stuck.
Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Stuck In Mud by DICKtator: 5:39pm On Sep 18, 2012
Emmykeyz: PRESS F2 TO START NEW GAME! THEN CHANGE CAR TYPE IN CAR OPTIONS! tongue

ROTFLMAO.
grin grin grin grin
Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Stuck In Mud by Nobody: 5:49pm On Sep 18, 2012
N

1 Like

Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Stuck In Mud by omicron(m): 5:51pm On Sep 18, 2012
ujchief:
hahahahhahaaaha

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Power Sterring Fluid Diffrent From Automatic Transmission Fluid? / 9 Standard Features In Cars That Have Been Replaced By New Tech / Mercedes-AMG GLC 63 S Now Fastest Production SUV At Nurburgring Race Track

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.