Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,983 members, 7,817,902 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:24 PM

Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN (11170 Views)

Buhari Economic policy is very sound and Pragmatic. by Tuale4u / Our Growth, A Result Of Jonathan’s Economic Policies – Dangote / BUHARI:I Will Reverse Jonathan Economic Policy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by AjanleKoko: 2:08pm On Sep 19, 2012
chucky234: "He just has not gotten started yet" after two whole years,how is it going to take our dear president to his so called touted policies started?
You are the dumbest person out here,olodo rabata.

Hehehehe, I see you quickly went and found someone to teach you how to format your posts properly grin
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by jmaine: 2:09pm On Sep 19, 2012
obowunmi:
But my question remains: will the amount spent on the program, yield expected results in terms of job creation numbers?

The target of youwin is to create between 80,000 - 110,000 jobs in 3 years from 6,000 businesses . . .and that is achievable with the stipulated 50B budgeted for . . .

obowunmi:

That is yet to be seen and I highly doubt it.

na this vague statement cos quanta the last time ooh and your still repeating it . . .

Your sight

You can't begin to fully see it for three reasons :-

A) we have 1,200 out of a possible 6,000 confirmed already . .

B) The first batch of 1,200 had an average of 1/5 of the funds released to them to prepare them for the major second batch . . . .

C) like you rightly said, the first tranch was just released to them though on a zonal basis . . .

Your doubt

You can't also begin to highly doubt it when your not allowing the processes of the programme run it course . . .

If i call you a pessimist now, you go dey vex cheesy
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by obowunmi(m): 2:12pm On Sep 19, 2012
naijababe:

Everything in your post is stated on YOUWIN's official website and you have to pardon me if I simply choose not believe everything I read especially when it comes to these sort of things.

I'll be the first to admit that not knowing a beneficiary of the program does not mean it's unsuccessful. My original question was and remains how this is different from previous govt programs.

The structure, implementation, and execution of this program is different. People who made it thru the second round, were merely chosen on the viability of their business and nothing more. No nepotism or someone bribing someone to get into the program.

Program participants were given extensive training...and had to put together a business plan and financial place. This is not a program where people just receive money. A three day training program on business operations, financing and such - the program has structure.

The program has successfully partnered with banks and program participants will continue to receive structured support from the banks as they meet their deliverables.

One thing I think program participants need is business mentors...someone they can speak with at anytime to about their business in an informal manner.
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by chucky234(m): 2:13pm On Sep 19, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Laughable.
You don't even know how to quote a post properly on Nairaland, for heavens sake. And you're calling someone dumb.
You're obviously one of the many people on here who have progressively shat out their brains over time. Shake your head for a minute, does it echo back to you? That's because there's nothing in it undecided
I can't just stop laughing at your pathetic daft besotted nature,a man who openly said that a president who have has been in government for 24 months needs additional years to start his touted policies is a no brainer for me.
Your dumb post shows that you knows nothing about government or policy implementation,sharpen your dull brain then come back with more reasonable response then we take it from there.
Clueless beetle-headed goon,I laugh your daftness.
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by jmaine: 2:16pm On Sep 19, 2012
kutchs: are u one of the beneficiaries? If u‘re not as am sure u‘re not why are u so sure the program will not yield the expected result in terms of job creation. You cant judge businesses that haven‘t taken off or at best at their take-off stage unless u know what others do not know about them.

Exactly what i was trying to educate him on . .making vague careless statements like that negates on his errorneous confidence of knowing so much . . . . .
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by Idokojimmy: 2:16pm On Sep 19, 2012
Nigeria’s Economy Could Overtake South Africa by 2025, Morgan Stanley says

Nigeria’s economy may overtake South Africa’s by 2025 to become the biggest on the continent as oil prices climb and consumer spending in Africa’s most populous nation expands, Morgan Stanley said.
Gross domestic product, which will probably reach $400 billion by the end of the decade, is forecast to increase 8.4 percent in 2011 and 8.5 percent in 2012, Andrea Masia and Michael Kafe, economists at Morgan Stanley in Johannesburg, wrote in an e-mailed report today.
Enlarge image
The naira may strengthen to 153 against the dollar by the end of the year and reach 150 by the end of 2012, economists at Morgan Stanley in Johannesburg said. Photographer: Suzanne Plunkett/Bloomberg
Enlarge image
Chief Executive Officer of the Nigerian Stock Exchange Oscar Onyema. Photographer: Andrey Rudakov/Bloomberg
Crude output in Africa’s biggest oil producer is estimated to climb 9.5 percent to 2.3 million barrels a day by 2012 from last year, while oil prices may average $113 a barrel over the next year, Morgan Stanley (MS) said. Rising wages and an increase in borrowing is also helping to boost consumer spending in a country of 150 million people, the bank said.
“The sources of output growth are broadening and accelerating, retail trade is vibrant and its financial markets are deepening,” Masia and Kafe wrote. “The economy is on a growth charge.”
Nigeria’s economy is forecast to climb to about $400 billion by 2016 from $268 billion this year, while South Africa’s is expected to reach more than $500 billion from $383 billion in the same period, according to the International Monetary Fund.
Economic Boom
South Africa’s central bank expects economic growth of 3.6 percent in 2011 and 3.9 percent in 2012.
Nigeria’s economic boom may push the market value of the equity index to $1 trillion in five years time from $74 billion currently, Oscar Onyema, chief executive officer of the Nigerian Stock Exchange, said today. South Africa’s bourse has a market value of $494 billion.
Minimum wages in Nigeria more than doubled to 18,000 naira ($114.69) a month before elections in April after remaining unchanged at about 7,500 naira since 2000, Morgan Stanley said. Public-sector wages are budgeted to rise 20 percent in 2011 and 10 percent in 2012, helping to spur consumer spending, it said.
The naira, which may strengthen to 153 against the dollar by year-end and 150 by the end of 2012, “should help to lift consumer confidence and support the retail sector,” Morgan Stanley said. The wholesale and retail trade industry accounted for 19 percent of GDP in 2010, higher than oil, which makes up 15 percent, the bank said.
Morgan Stanley recommends investors buy shares in Guinness Nigeria Plc (GUINNESS), Nestle Foods Nigeria Plc (NESTLE), Diamond Bank Plc (DIAMONDB) and Guaranty Trust Bank Plc. (GUARANTY)

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-28/nigeria-s-economy-may-overtake-south-africa-by-2025-morgan-stanley-says.html
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by obowunmi(m): 2:17pm On Sep 19, 2012
jmaine:

The target of youwin is to create between 80,000 - 110,000 jobs in 3 years from 6,000 businesses . . .and that is achievable with the stipulated 50B budgeted for . . .

na this vague statement cos quanta the last time ooh and your still repeating it . . .

Your sight

You can't begin to fully see it for three reasons :-

A) we have 1,200 out of a possible 6,000 confirmed already . .

B) The first batch of 1,200 had an average of 1/5 of the funds released to them to prepare them for the major second batch . . . .

C) like you rightly said, the first tranch was just released to them though on a zonal basis . . .

Your doubt

You can't also begin to highly doubt it when your not allowing the processes of the programme run it course . . .

If i call you a pessimist now, you go dey vex cheesy

My guy, I see where you are coming from. Yes - you can call me a pessimist, I am indeed worried if the program will meet its targets.

But - maybe its just me. I believe in the entrepreneurs that they were awarded, they are amazing young men and women. Running a business in Nigeria is not as easy as people think it is.
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by AjanleKoko: 2:22pm On Sep 19, 2012
Gbawe:

Guy, what are you talking about? "Ameliorating" policies don't worsen things. That is what has happened here. Unemployment is greater under GEJ. Unemployment should not get worse if mismanagement is not greater and policies are not less effective. Simple as that. This is not an issue open to spin. Rather, it is another incontrovertible proof, as the UN submitted, that "Jonathan's economic policies failing".

Gbawe, I know you're an ACN man, and would feel the need to criticize the PDP government. Which is fair enough
My position is, the government simply has not got going. A lot can be achieved but so many things have not started at all.
Maybe we need to look beyond partisan politics, and the parties need to work together.
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by occam(m): 2:23pm On Sep 19, 2012
AjanleKoko:

I share the same sentiment.
It's just convenient to blame this guy, then the next guy, then the next.

Again, not exonerating him, but Nigeria is a heck of a problem to solve. I don't expect him to crack it, to be honest.

You break it, you own it. From the day he was sworn in, he's accountable for all problems. Won't he take the credit if the report says unemployment fell sharply? 2 yrs is enough time to tell us where things are going. Right now, its just same old, same old - corruption & incompetence

On the economy, this govt is like a rudderless ship - no vision; no sense of direction. Missteps after missteps have been the hallmark of this govt. Jonathan has really disappointed as Nigerians believed in him.

If he can't crack the problems he should step down. Of course we know, he won't
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by chucky234(m): 2:29pm On Sep 19, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Hehehehe, I see you quickly went and found someone to teach you how to format your posts properly grin
What a pathetic fellow,did you take your time to check my previous posts on NL,your sense of reasoning is simply absurd.
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by Nobody: 2:29pm On Sep 19, 2012
Please, can anybody post the UN link?
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by Nobody: 2:37pm On Sep 19, 2012
Hehehe
hope u enjoyed ur fresh air
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by DisGuy: 2:38pm On Sep 19, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Gbawe, I know you're an ACN man, and would feel the need to criticize the PDP government. Which is fair enough
My position is, the government simply has not got going. A lot can be achieved but so many things have not started at all.
Maybe we need to look beyond partisan politics, and the parties need to work together.

Im very confused by your posts today sir, but you also said it's hard to say its failing after two years

Sir it's too clear!

nigeria's growth even under auto pilot is around 6%; this to wetsern analyst is 'strong'
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by jaybee(f): 2:39pm On Sep 19, 2012
obowunmi: At this point, I am working to track the program and its participants. I am very interested in the job creation numbers. It is a good case study on how to run job creation/economic development programs in difficult and challenging places like Nigeria.

thank you in advance. this needs to be measured. pls share with us your findings asap.
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by jmaine: 2:39pm On Sep 19, 2012
obowunmi:

My guy, I see where you are coming from. Yes - you can call me a pessimist, I am indeed worried if the program will meet its targets.

But - maybe its just me. I believe in the entrepreneurs that they were awarded, they are amazing young men and women. Running a business in Nigeria is not as easy as people think it is.

Yes, running a business in Nigeria is very tough . . .But whoever is determined will utilize the free 10 million naira to become successful . . . .
Which bank is willing to even give them a fraction of that amount . . Only the strong survive and i believe with the incentives of been given free funds . .they should succeed.

Their recently concluded Business directory, revealed a plethora of lovely business plans that are very viable and feasible . . . .

Youwin has done their part to pick them solely based on merit . .it's left for the awardees to run with that and make their life meaningful . . . .
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by Baawaa(m): 2:40pm On Sep 19, 2012
bubadaniel13: What yardstick is the UN using to measure failure?abeg make dem leave us with their imperialistic programmes.
Don't worry what you are eating will soon finish grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by DadaStephen1(m): 2:43pm On Sep 19, 2012
This report will help GEJ to sit up. Its a challenge
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by DisGuy: 2:44pm On Sep 19, 2012
Problem is everyone is looking for the background of any individual commending or knocking the govt to pigeonhole them into the opposition or 40 crew

what about the ordinary nigerian in the street middle- i know they are told time and again they dont know how difficult this country is to govern like duuuuh no be you wan do the job?
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by jaybee(f): 3:07pm On Sep 19, 2012
AjanleKoko:

i dont understand the logic in your response to an ACN man. do you mean after thirteen (13) years (1999-2012) the PDP 'government simply has not got going' and 'A lot can be achieved but so many things have not started at all.'

now if that is not failure, pls give it a befitting name for it.

who is playing partisan politics here. anything ordinary (sic) Nigerians suffering under the burden of poor PDP leadership would not say is dismissed with labelled partisan politics and dismissed with the wave of hand simply because the PDP have no plausible or rational/logical response to it. its a pity. and your boss, gej, is hopelessly notorious for that.

we are talking of the survival of a failed country fast spiralling into an eminent spontaneous explosion; and you trivialize it with a vague and simplistic worn out cliche of partisan politics. pls wake up from your slumber. a million people saying gej is bad does not change him; a million people saying gej is good does not change him either. we are talking of poor and insensitive governance, of which he is the head.
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by sunkoye: 3:08pm On Sep 19, 2012
princenayo: Sentiment apart, I will say that the president might be slow and not failed. cos, one year is not enough to pass pessimistic judgment.
oh we should wait till 4th yr stares!
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by obowunmi(m): 3:36pm On Sep 19, 2012
jmaine:

Yes, running a business in Nigeria is very tough . . .But whoever is determined will utilize the free 10 million naira to become successful . . . .
Which bank is willing to even give them a fraction of that amount . . Only the strong survive and i believe with the incentives of been given free funds . .they should succeed.

Their recently concluded Business directory, revealed a plethora of lovely business plans that are very viable and feasible . . . .

Youwin has done their part to pick them solely based on merit . .it's left for the awardees to run with that and make their life meaningful . . . .

Not everyone receives 10 million ....go and sit down joor - on top your noise.

Program participants may receive 1 to 10 million in equity.... They range...even 1 million naira is not money enough to keep a business afloat.

My question about meeting the expected job creation numbers, remain valid.
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by ICEMAN(m): 3:36pm On Sep 19, 2012
Not sure Gej is the best man for the job but still feel it's to early to decide he isn't.Still in watch and see mode. 2 years is really not enough.let's see what happens in 2013/2014.
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by Biggyd2: 3:41pm On Sep 19, 2012
How dare the UN! Haven't they heard about GEJ before? Don't worry, shortly he will respond to you pipo one by one! At least he won't say that it is "protesters that were fed with bottled water, packaged food and entertained by a handful of artists", that said this one this time! undecided
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by Nobody: 3:44pm On Sep 19, 2012
If nobody can post the UN source LINK I would say it is a stance to rubbish this administration!
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by blacksta(m): 3:46pm On Sep 19, 2012
Actually 23% is not that bad, considering the bad state of things, I would have expected at least 70%
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by Abelbenker(m): 3:51pm On Sep 19, 2012
U no lie my bro,dey are looking for ways to come in.mchewwwww.
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by jmaine: 4:15pm On Sep 19, 2012
obowunmi:

Not everyone receives 10 million ....go and sit down joor - on top your noise.

Yes i know . . .but the ceeling is 10 million and a lot of the winners got it especially those under agriculture and in the manufacturing sector . .
My noise valid die . . . .
obowunmi:

Program participants may receive 1 to 10 million in equity.... They range.

Yes i know . .see my reason above . .no dey form voltron here abeg . . .

obowunmi:

even 1 million naira is not money enough to keep a business afloat.

Another careless & vague statement . .Do you know how much it takes small scale food vendors in Lagos to set up, while they rake in serious money . .

As difficult as Lagos is ,with less than N500,000 . .you can start a viable food vending business with very high returns . . .talkless of when your given or funded with a million naira . . .

They are various cadre of business you don't need to have millions to run smoothly . .

All you need is efficiency and effectiveness in what you do and the rest is history. . . .

obowunmi:

My question about meeting the expected job creation numbers, remain valid.

it's invalid cos your assumptions falls flat on the face of simple reasoning and deductive judgement . .

Your simply a pessimist and you accepted that tag . . .
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by Gbawe: 4:24pm On Sep 19, 2012
AjanleKoko:

My brother, criticism will quickly be discredited if it is not fact-based. Here, statistics unequivcally show that unemployment has worsened under GEJ. He has been in charge for 2 years. What do you wan't from me? I believe he is an inept President. I have never pretended otherwise. When negative statistics like these bear out my opinion that GEJ is worsening things, what do you wan't me to do? Say nothing? praise him?
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by AjanleKoko: 4:27pm On Sep 19, 2012
Gbawe:

My brother, criticism will quickly be discredited if it is not fact-based. Here, statistics unequivcally show that unemployment has worsened under GEJ. He has been in charge for 2 years. What do you wan't from me? I believe he is an inept President. I have never pretended otherwise. When negative statistics like these bear out my opinion that GEJ is worsening things, what do you wan't me to do? Say nothing? praise him?

To be honest, I don't even know.
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by Baawaa(m): 4:29pm On Sep 19, 2012
jmaine:

Yes i know . . .but the ceeling is 10 million and a lot of the winners got it especially those under agriculture and in the manufacturing sector . .

Bros, i no dey make noise cos i sabi pass you for this level . . .

Yes i know . .see my reason above . .no dey form voltron here abeg . . .

Another careless & vague statement . .Do you know how much it takes small scale food vendors in Lagos to set up, while they rake in serious money . .

As difficult as Lagos is ,with less than N500,000 . .you can start a viable food vending business with very high returns . . .talkless of when your given or funded with a million naira . . .

They are various cadre of business you don't need to have millions to run smoothly . .

All you need is efficiency and effectiveness in what you do and the rest is history. . . .

it's invalid cos your assumptions falls flat on the face of simple reasoning and deductive judgement . .

Your simply a pessimist and you accepted that tag . . .
Oh your father have received the money,that is why you don't let people to rest.Tell him how many petty food seller have received the money Where nepotism is the act of you people shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by Twoboys: 4:30pm On Sep 19, 2012
The whole EUROZONE debt crisis have defiled economic policy and stimulus offered, while man made insecurity situation in Nigeria has taken its toll. Wonder how economic policies succeed in such environments.
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by KingSolomonI: 4:39pm On Sep 19, 2012
they should ask iweala

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

"My Agenda Is Simple; My Vision Is Clear" — Ize Iyamu / Court Convicts Fuel Subsidy Suspects / EFCC Gets Fresh Forfeiture Order On N1.2bn, $327,132.35, £167.85, €157.90

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.