Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,326 members, 7,815,641 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:47 PM

Nigeria's Looming Economic Doom - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's Looming Economic Doom (1962 Views)

Saraki's Trial Spells Doom For Tinubu / Present Day Economic Doom Predicted By Fmr CBN Governor Sanusi Lamido 3 Yrs Ago / INEC's Documents May Doom Saraki’s Senatorial Seat - Sahara Reporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's Looming Economic Doom by since1914(m): 4:47pm On Sep 19, 2012
I just read the article about the UN report on Nigeria's rising rate of unemployment. As disheartening as it sounds, it is still a lot better than where will be in the next 6-10 years; because the unemployment figure will not be less than 50 percent by that time. This has more to with our educational system than actual lack of jobs.

About 10-15 years ago, Nigeria had very few universities besides the Federal and state universities. Getting into University was very difficult and competitive. You had to meet JAMB cut-off points to get admitted. Your WAEC result had to be in order as well or else you went for a one year remedial program. There was no NECO at that time so if you failed WAEC, you had to wait at home until you cleared your papers before you got into school. Not to even talk about the ASUU strikes that could last up to 6 months sometimes. But today all that has changed, the kids now get into university the same year they graduate from Secondary school. They now have NECO, and private universities. Even NYSC now has batch A,B & C. Average age at graduation is now hovering between 22 & 23yrs. Law schools can now churn out up to 3,000 lawyers in one calender year.

That is the scenario we have today, the Nigerian economy has too many graduates that it cannot and will never be able to absorb. For real jobs to be created, government must re-design its educational policies to also provide formal blue-collar career education for the many that want to go that path. I know people with bachelor degrees that are now doing extremely well as carpenters and have even employed other people. Why didn't we provide carpentry schools for them in the first place? Why should it take them five full years and hundreds of thousands of naira to get them a career they could have had in just 3years? With the creation of six new universities last year, government squandered an opportunity to chat a new course in manpower development.

Those universities should have being purely technical institutes with specific emphasies on training craftsmen and blue collar professionals. Most of our artisans learnt their trade from their 'mentors' who also learnt from his own 'mentor' and the chain continues like that. So this guys have never really had the opportunity to develop their expertise formally. They took all that their mentors taught them including the mistakes and falacies that came with them. That is why you have mechanics removing 'Thermostats', and carpenters doing shoddy jobs etc.

Why do you think Nigerians still fly-in foreign tradesmen like Plumbers, carpenters and P.O.P. installers etc to do their jobs? These guys had the right training and have pushed every available tool and material to their very limit in the course of work. In some countries they even take professional exams and CEU. The Federal and state Governments must re-design our educational sytem to meet the current challenges we now face, or else the unemployment figures will keep rising as well as the accompanying crime rate.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Looming Economic Doom by Everest9(m): 4:54pm On Sep 19, 2012
naija na bad country

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Looming Economic Doom by ba7man(m): 5:43pm On Sep 19, 2012
On the contrary, I belive the Nigerian economy can only get better b'cos there is an increase in awareness amongst the youth and they are turning away from seeking employment and creating their own businesses. I have a lot of personal examples and I'm also one. This emerging group of individuals have decided to to look away from the Government and look to the population to see which of their problems they can provide a solution. Where there are problems there are opportunities, ppl pay mony to hav their problems solved. This group will eventually form a middle class that has been lacking in this country.
Re: Nigeria's Looming Economic Doom by decode55(m): 7:31am On Mar 23, 2016
ba7man:
On the contrary, I belive the Nigerian economy can only get better b'cos there is an increase in awareness amongst the youth and they are turning away from seeking employment and creating their own businesses. I have a lot of personal examples and I'm also one. This emerging group of individuals have decided to to look away from the Government and look to the population to see which of their problems they can provide a solution. Where there are problems there are opportunities, ppl pay mony to hav their problems solved. This group will eventually form a middle class that has been lacking in this country.

How far with your "prophetic" analogy?
Re: Nigeria's Looming Economic Doom by ba7man(m): 7:36am On Mar 23, 2016
decode55:

How far with your "prophetic" analogy?
It will still get better you prophet of doom.

You need to see how people younger than you are setting up online retailing companies.

I'm already discussing with a diasporan who wants to bring his foreign partners into Nigeria to invest.

Those are the future millionaires, not pessimists like you.

Did you think this economic downturn will last forever? It's only here to make Nigerians think outside the box of free money and corruption.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Looming Economic Doom by ibedun: 7:39am On Mar 23, 2016
Everest9:
naija na bad country

Nigeria is one of the greatest countries on earth but full of black African people, the most primitive, backward and worthless beings on earth.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Looming Economic Doom by Nobody: 7:40am On Mar 23, 2016
ibedun:

Nigeria is one of the greatest countries on earth but full of black African people, the most primitive, backward and worthless beings on earth.
be quiet

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Looming Economic Doom by decode55(m): 12:56pm On Mar 23, 2016
ba7man:

You need to see how people younger than you are setting up online retailing companies.

I'm already discussing with a diasporan who wants to bring his foreign partners into Nigeria to invest.

Did you think this economic downturn will last forever? It's only here to make Nigerians think outside the box of free money and corruption.

Your reply shows how much of a mentally _retarded lowlife you are.

I just asked a simple, harmless question. But your kernicterus-stricken brain couldn't even comprehend.

Majority of nigerians are indeed mad.

Disturb my "mentions" no more. slowpoke.
Re: Nigeria's Looming Economic Doom by ba7man(m): 9:46pm On Mar 23, 2016
decode55:

Your reply shows how much of a mentally _retarded lowlife you are.

I just asked a simple, harmless question. But your kernicterus-stricken brain couldn't even comprehend.

Majority of nigerians are indeed mad.

Disturb my "mentions" no more. slowpoke.
Dont dribble away......... you quoted me to gloat but got more than you bargained for.

You better start thinking of how to dig in these times and not wallow around.
Re: Nigeria's Looming Economic Doom by mikolo80: 10:22pm On Mar 23, 2016
since1914:
I just read the article about the UN report on Nigeria's rising rate of unemployment. As disheartening as it sounds, it is still a lot better than where will be in the next 6-10 years; because the unemployment figure will not be less than 50 percent by that time. This has more to with our educational system than actual lack of jobs.

About 10-15 years ago, Nigeria had very few universities besides the Federal and state universities. Getting into University was very difficult and competitive. You had to meet JAMB cut-off points to get admitted. Your WAEC result had to be in order as well or else you went for a one year remedial program. There was no NECO at that time so if you failed WAEC, you had to wait at home until you cleared your papers before you got into school. Not to even talk about the ASUU strikes that could last up to 6 months sometimes. But today all that has changed, the kids now get into university the same year they graduate from Secondary school. They now have NECO, and private universities. Even NYSC now has batch A,B & C. Average age at graduation is now hovering between 22 & 23yrs. Law schools can now churn out up to 3,000 lawyers in one calender year.

That is the scenario we have today, the Nigerian economy has too many graduates that it cannot and will never be able to absorb. For real jobs to be created, government must re-design its educational policies to also provide formal blue-collar career education for the many that want to go that path. I know people with bachelor degrees that are now doing extremely well as carpenters and have even employed other people. Why didn't we provide carpentry schools for them in the first place? Why should it take them five full years and hundreds of thousands of naira to get them a career they could have had in just 3years? With the creation of six new universities last year, government squandered an opportunity to chat a new course in manpower development.

Those universities should have being purely technical institutes with specific emphasies on training craftsmen and blue collar professionals. Most of our artisans learnt their trade from their 'mentors' who also learnt from his own 'mentor' and the chain continues like that. So this guys have never really had the opportunity to develop their expertise formally. They took all that their mentors taught them including the mistakes and falacies that came with them. That is why you have mechanics removing 'Thermostats', and carpenters doing shoddy jobs etc.

Why do you think Nigerians still fly-in foreign tradesmen like Plumbers, carpenters and P.O.P. installers etc to do their jobs? These guys had the right training and have pushed every available tool and material to their very limit in the course of work. In some countries they even take professional exams and CEU. The Federal and state Governments must re-design our educational sytem to meet the current challenges we now face, or else the unemployment figures will keep rising as well as the accompanying crime rate.
technical school boku bet everybody wan become graduate unto white collar tinz. na wen hunger gbab dem before dia eye clear con go learn hand work

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Looming Economic Doom by mikolo80: 10:23pm On Mar 23, 2016
ba7man:
at least one other person gets it
Re: Nigeria's Looming Economic Doom by decode55(m): 1:40am On Jan 15, 2017
ba7man:

How far? grin
Re: Nigeria's Looming Economic Doom by darknetcom: 2:07am On Jan 15, 2017
we are already in economic doom since buhari took over,you said...chikena..

is their a higher level than already doomed??...
Re: Nigeria's Looming Economic Doom by darknetcom: 2:12am On Jan 15, 2017
the naira will become 1dollar=1000naira...

but it doesnt matter..under jonathan we had a phantasy economy..blabla..

we reality economics now..subsidies this,subsidies that...rubbish..

the fg has no business building nollywood village for you...

it will give the fg a advantage...
Re: Nigeria's Looming Economic Doom by darknetcom: 2:19am On Jan 15, 2017
no more subsidys...
Re: Nigeria's Looming Economic Doom by ba7man(m): 7:24pm On Jan 15, 2017
decode55:

How far? grin
Seems you're happy things aren't working out for you.
Re: Nigeria's Looming Economic Doom by Armaggedon: 7:37pm On Jan 15, 2017
since1914:

may your prayers be heard and your children graduate to become good carpenters.
Pls say amen lets take you serious.
Re: Nigeria's Looming Economic Doom by decode55(m): 2:39am On Jan 16, 2017
ba7man:
Seems you're happy things aren't working out for you.

Tapout, come see this nigga

(1) (Reply)

AFCON Cup Glory: ACN Slams President Jonathan / When Is GEJ Going To Resign For Being Incompetent? / Bizzare!!! ISIS Behead Christain Children (graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.