Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,288 members, 7,815,493 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:20 PM

Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission (18483 Views)

Why Is This Natural Compound The World's Fitcrew USA Xtreme Testrone / Eat More Bananas For More Sons – Scientists / Anti-retroviral Drugs 'help Reduce' Hiv Transmission (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Nobody: 3:17am On Sep 20, 2012
Bananas prevent HIV infection
Chemicals found in bananas are better at preventing HIV than two current synthetic anti-HIV drugs, according to new study.

Your favorite oblong fruit might be even healthier than you realized. According to The Gazette (Montreal) newspaper, a new study has found that chemicals commonly found in bananas are as potent in preventing HIV as two synthetic anti-HIV drugs. Researchers say the findings could lead to a cheap new component for applied microbicides that prevent sexual transmission of HIV.

The miracle substance in bananas is called BanLec, a type of lectin, which are the sugar-binding proteins found in a variety of plants. Scientists have long been interested in lectins because of their ability to halt the chain reaction that leads to certain viral infections. In the case of BanLec, it works by binding naturally to the sugar-rich envelope that encases the HIV virus, thus blocking its entry into the body.

"The problem with some HIV drugs is that the virus can mutate and become resistant, but that's much harder to do in the presence of lectins," said lead author Michael D. Swanson. "Lectins can bind to the sugars found on different spots of the HIV-1 envelope, and presumably it will take multiple mutations for the virus to get around them."

Swanson and his colleagues noted that even modest success in developing BanLec into a vaginal or anal microbicide could save millions of lives. In fact, 20 percent coverage with a microbicide that is only 60 percent effective against HIV may prevent up to 2.5 million HIV infections in three years. Furthermore, a BanLec ointment would be much cheaper to produce and distribute than most current anti-retroviral medications that require the production of synthetic components.

One thing's for sure: new ways of stopping the transmission of HIV are desperately needed. Condoms are effective, but they are often used incorrectly or inconsistently, and in many cultures and developing countries women are not always in control of their sexual encounters. The introduction of a cheap, long-lasting, self-applied ointment derived naturally from bananas could change all of that.

http://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-well-being/stories/bananas-prevent-hiv-infection

6 Likes

Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Nobody: 3:20am On Sep 20, 2012
Another article.
http://www.naturalnews.com/031024_HIV_transmission_bananas.html

Bananas, herbs may help prevent HIV transmission
Sunday, January 16, 2011 by: Jonathan Benson, staff writer

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/031024_HIV_transmission_bananas.html#ixzz26yMLUEm5

(NaturalNews) A study published in the March 19, 2010, issue of The Journal of Biological Chemistry found that banana lectins, the proteins that bind to sugars, also bind to HIV-infected cells and prevent their replication and transmission. And several other studies have found similar anti-HIV effects from various herbs and plants like the hyssop herb, pine cone seed extracts, "pokeweed" extracts, Reishi mushrooms and even cannabis (marijuana).

Researchers from the University of Michigan (UM) found in a laboratory study that banana lectins bind to HIV-infected cells and basically envelop them so that they cannot reproduce. So scientists are now working on a highly-concentrated extract of these lectins known as "Ban Tec" that they say may one day be widely used to prevent HIV transmission.

Pine cone seeds contain a high lignan extract that has been shown not only to inhibit HIV transmission, but also reverse the damage caused to the body by HIV-infected white blood cells. The "pokeweed" plant and at least three other North American prairie plants have shown HIV-preventive effects as well. And plant sterols in general seem to protect healthy cells from being invaded by HIV. These and other details came from a recent report by FOX News.

For treating HIV-related symptoms like "wasting syndrome" and neuropathy, cannabis, also known as marijuana, has proven itself to be highly effective. Cannabis spurs appetite in those with "wasting syndrome", helping them to eat more and gain weight, and it also reduces or completely eliminates the severe pain associated with neuropathy.

And the Reishi mushroom, which is known for its powerful immune-boosting activity, is also a favorite among Chinese herbalists treating HIV because it can help improve overall condition and even potentially help reverse the disease altogether.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/031024_HIV_transmission_bananas.html#ixzz26yMASFl3

2 Likes

Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Nobody: 3:20am On Sep 20, 2012
really?? wow I didn't knew that, that's a very interesting thread sabellah wink

1 Like

Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Nobody: 3:21am On Sep 20, 2012
linda_1: really?? wow I didn't know that, that's very interesting sebellah wink

Yes indeed! smiley
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Chanchit: 5:57am On Sep 20, 2012
So if you see people smoking igbo now, they are jst trying to prevent HIV. As for me #AMA chop banana banana#

3 Likes

Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Nobody: 6:18am On Sep 20, 2012
Chanchit: So if you see people smoking igbo now, they are jst trying to prevent HIV. As for me #AMA chop banana banana#

lmaooooo
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by polokor60(m): 7:55am On Sep 20, 2012
fruits of any kind are always healthy to the human body.medical scienctist have a duty of discovery this useful micro components present in the fruits while humans should eat more fruits to stay healthy.

1 Like

Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Nobody: 1:18pm On Sep 20, 2012
Avoid sex ohh no matter how much bananas you eat.

I think this would change the price of bananas!

10 Likes

Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by swtchicgurl: 1:20pm On Sep 20, 2012
ope oooooooooooooo cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

even its shape suggests it! grin grin grin

yea, it should change the price of bananas!

1 Like

Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Afam4eva(m): 1:20pm On Sep 20, 2012
I just ordered for two trailer load of bananas grin

Btw, if bananas can prevent HIV, why can't it cure it even if it means mixing it with something. What's our doctors/pharmacists even doing. get your hands dirty and find the cure to HIV/Aids.

1 Like

Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by johnstar(m): 1:21pm On Sep 20, 2012
Sounds interesting banana will b cheaper dan garri nw grin grin grin
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Nobody: 1:22pm On Sep 20, 2012
jammyng: Avoid sex ohh no matter how much bananas you eat.

I think this would change the price of bananas!

looool grin grin but u r right ooo, Abstinence is the best way of prevention smiley

1 Like

Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Kx: 1:22pm On Sep 20, 2012
The price of garri has gone up, beans roof top, price of all stable food had skyrocketed.

Ban Ban ban that had caused a sharp rise in the price of imported Apples and Strawberry.

Why publish this article knowing that it could cause an increase in the cost of Banana that the masses use to "maintain", Why?
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Nobody: 1:23pm On Sep 20, 2012
polokor60: fruits of any kind are always healthy to the human body.medical scienctist have a duty of discovery this useful micro components present in the fruits while humans should eat more fruits to stay healthy.

Spot on!
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Gwekzy: 1:24pm On Sep 20, 2012
Na Which Banana Dem mean?

1 Like

Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by SisiKill1: 1:24pm On Sep 20, 2012
Hehehehe....why did the image of Africans Chowing down on bananas like there is no tomorrow.... flash in my head? cheesy

I ain't saying nothing but . . Africans. . . Banana. . .ya know. lipsrsealed
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Nobody: 1:25pm On Sep 20, 2012
swtchicgurl: ope oooooooooooooo cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

its shape now grin dirty mind! never underestimate the power of banana cheesy, i try eating at least one a day, it gives lot of energy
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Nobody: 1:25pm On Sep 20, 2012
Eat a Bunch of Banana before Sex - #Dr. HQ's Recommendation.

Mehn, the future is bright.

But I'm thinking one thing. Research in the "prevent HIV" is making much headway than in the "Cure" angle.

Existing patients go vex o?! (A new world-wide group of MEND, may ensue)
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by IleIfe2(m): 1:25pm On Sep 20, 2012
linda_1: really?? wow I didn't knew that, that's a very interesting thread sabellah wink

grin grin grin now you know
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by tunapawizzy: 1:27pm On Sep 20, 2012
swtchicgurl: ope oooooooooooooo cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

badt somebody
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Klectic: 1:27pm On Sep 20, 2012
i think im going into banana farming now oo i know it will sell faster than condoms nw that this is out cheesy
[color=#000000][/color]

1 Like

Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Greenslim: 1:29pm On Sep 20, 2012
Compound Marrow is filled with some many benefits to our health with easy of use and body absorption.
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Nobody: 1:30pm On Sep 20, 2012
Gwekzy: Na Which Banana Dem mean?

the yellow fruit one nau smiley smiley! Now if u wanna try the other type without skin, u ll c consequences
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Standing5(m): 1:30pm On Sep 20, 2012
Flesh Banana causes the thing and Fruit Banana prevents it . . . wow

So girls can now wound their flesh anyhow they want as long as dem dey chop the right combo of banana!!!
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Nobody: 1:31pm On Sep 20, 2012
Sisi_Kill: Hehehehe....why did I have a sudden image of African Chowing down on bananas like there is no tomorrow.... flash in my head? cheesy

I ain't saying nothing but . . Africans. . . Banana. . .ya know. lipsrsealed

lmaooooo grin grin
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Nobody: 1:32pm On Sep 20, 2012
abeg people keep protecting yourself ooo wink banana won't do it all alone. smiley

1 Like

Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by teeboss(m): 1:34pm On Sep 20, 2012
wow!!! The price of cassava products is about to have high competition with this new discovery
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by mkmyers45(m): 1:35pm On Sep 20, 2012
Its a nice feeling to see science forging ahead to solve and correct human problems...
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Jumong01(m): 1:36pm On Sep 20, 2012
That one no mean say pple shuld start ving sex any how because of bannana.TOO MUCH OF BANNANA CAN CAUSE CANCER OOO.SO BE WARNED.
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by maclatunji: 1:36pm On Sep 20, 2012
afam4eva: I just ordered for two trailer load of bananas grin

LMFSO! The price of Bananas might increase if this transforms into urban myth. Banana growers worldwide may just end-up smiling to the bank.
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by solaceguy(m): 1:41pm On Sep 20, 2012
K

2 Likes

Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by chucky234(m): 1:42pm On Sep 20, 2012
Gwekzy: Na Which Banana Dem mean?
Na the unripe ones oooo

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Monkeypox: Can It Be Treated And How Worried Should You Be? / PTF On COVID-19 Arrives Cross River State On Fact Finding Mission / Bill Gates Warns Of Terror-Sponsored Smallpox Pandemic, Seeks Research Funds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.