Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,133 members, 7,829,042 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:00 PM

Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission (18488 Views)

Why Is This Natural Compound The World's Fitcrew USA Xtreme Testrone / Eat More Bananas For More Sons – Scientists / Anti-retroviral Drugs 'help Reduce' Hiv Transmission (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Nobody: 1:45pm On Sep 20, 2012
Y is everytin about banana related to sex?first the shape looks like Joystick,which can substitute a d.I.c.k,girls can suck it too,now it cures HIV...."Chop banana till u go yo".
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by omiobo: 1:46pm On Sep 20, 2012
solaceguy: take banana till you go yo!
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Nobody: 1:47pm On Sep 20, 2012
Jumong01: That one no mean say pple shuld start ving sex any how because of bannana.TOO MUCH OF BANNANA CAN CAUSE CANCER OOO.SO BE WARNED.
Really ! Cancer of what ?
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by chucky234(m): 1:48pm On Sep 20, 2012
Na to go my village go farm banana ooo, wetin I wan dey Lagos dey do wen I fit dey supply 17 million pieces of banana every month.
Successful people sees opportunities where the poor see nothing,dis banana biz na ogbonge opportunity oooo
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Nobody: 1:50pm On Sep 20, 2012
Jumong01: That one no mean say pple shuld start ving sex any how because of bannana.TOO MUCH OF BANNANA CAN CAUSE CANCER OOO.SO BE WARNED.

[size=20pt]@ bolded, seconded! You should be careful, don't go unprotected cuz u ate banana abeg! Use all the prevention methods u used while adding fruits to your diet. Fruits gives u stronger immune system anyways. So they are good for you. Don't be silly and thinking of banana as a replacement for condom angry angry angry angry use ABSTINENCE , if u can't CONDOMS na the ideal![/size]
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by kenlash1(m): 1:50pm On Sep 20, 2012
linda_1: really?? wow I didn't knew that, that's a very interesting thread sabellah wink
*know* pls my reading glasses just cracked
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by rabzy: 1:52pm On Sep 20, 2012
I can understand why Journalists like spreading falsehoods and half-truths, but i dont understand why people swallow them without at least checking some which are checkable out. There are a lot of internet jargon cures that people keep spreading and the stories just don't die.

When a story or cure is very sensational just spend some time and check it out, there are actually people with HIV and other diseases who are desperate to get cures lets not keep spreading thrash.

This banana story is nothing but just a banana story, the university of michigan and the researchers have actually disowned it a long time ago. This is part of the abstract to the actual research "Based on these results, BanLec (extract from banana) is a potential component for an anti-viral microbicide that could be used to prevent the sexual transmission of HIV-1. "

This is what the researcher said after he heard the banana story "Thank you so very much for calling the very misleading headline in the Evening Standard to my attention. We in no way have stated anywhere that bananas are as good as antiretroviral drugs for the treatment of HIV! Our work, which builds on that of others and is in a very early stage of development, suggests that a particular protein derived from bananas, BanLec, might be useful as part of a topical anti-HIV microbicide that could be applied vaginally (or rectally) to prevent the sexual transmission of HIV. At this point, this is far from proven, however, and years of additional studies will be needed to test whether what we have found might prove useful in the clinical setting. We certainly have no data suggesting that BanLec could be used to treat those individuals who are already infected with the virus, and it would be very dangerous for any patient to stop taking their medications and simply resort to eating bananas! While we appreciate the Freudian aspects of our findings, we would be aghast if they were to be used to deter people from proper, proven treatment of HIV infection"

2 Likes

Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Afam4eva(m): 1:55pm On Sep 20, 2012
casket:
Really ! Cancer of what ?
Me sef dey wonder oo.
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Beync(f): 1:59pm On Sep 20, 2012
I beg these scientists, this revelation should not affect the price of bananas cos it's one of my favorite fruits

1 Like

Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by kenlash1(m): 1:59pm On Sep 20, 2012
afam4eva: I just ordered for two trailer load of bananas grin

Btw, if bananas can prevent HIV, why can't it cure it even if it means mixing it with something. What's our doctors/pharmacists even doing. get your hands dirty and find the cure to HIV/Aids.
Its nt dia duty to find d cure to ailment. There are medical scientists and researchers dt do that
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by sconsults: 2:02pm On Sep 20, 2012
[size=18pt]QUACK DOCTOR IN THE HOUSE[/size]

Greenslim: Compound Marrow is filled with some many benefits to our health with easy of use and body absorption.
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Bright2(m): 2:02pm On Sep 20, 2012
Honestly am really skeptical about this research if it's true how come HIV survive in monkeys? Do monkeys eat less banana ?well, i can't pertake in this experiment,others be careful .
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Afam4eva(m): 2:02pm On Sep 20, 2012
kenlash1:
Its nt dia duty to find d cure to ailment. There are medical scientists and researchers dt do that
The medical students and researchers fall into that bracket.
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Oceemo(m): 2:11pm On Sep 20, 2012
Abeg make pesin wey sabi tel me. Na wen u wan do d tin abi na afta u finnish u go chop d bannana?
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Nobody: 2:18pm On Sep 20, 2012
This research makes sense. HIV virus does no serious harm to the Ape family.....and mehn, do they love BANANA??
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by oge4real(f): 2:20pm On Sep 20, 2012
People go soon turn to monkey banana.
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Clemzy16(m): 2:21pm On Sep 20, 2012
johnstar: Sounds interesting banana will b cheaper dan garri nw grin grin grin
You sounds confused. This is pure economics. The higher the patronage, the higher the price.
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Afam4eva(m): 2:22pm On Sep 20, 2012
Clemzy16: You sounds confused. This is pure economics. The higher the patronage, the higher the price.
Abeg, no blame am...no be everybody do economics for school, but shouldn't that be common sense? I guess common sense is not common afterall.
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Nobody: 2:24pm On Sep 20, 2012
Greek Physician Hippocrates 300BC said "Make food thy medicine and medicine thy food".

I believe strongly in nature and God. If we research very well and believe in God's ingenuity, there is nothing we cannot solve on this planet earth including so called "uncurable diseases".

It is not an excuse to expose yourself unnecessary though. Prevention is better!

2 Likes

Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by free2ryhme: 2:25pm On Sep 20, 2012
Sybellah: Bananas prevent HIV infection
Chemicals found in bananas are better at preventing HIV than two current synthetic anti-HIV drugs, according to new study.

Your favorite oblong fruit might be even healthier than you realized. According to The Gazette (Montreal) newspaper, a new study has found that chemicals commonly found in bananas are as potent in preventing HIV as two synthetic anti-HIV drugs. Researchers say the findings could lead to a cheap new component for applied microbicides that prevent sexual transmission of HIV.

The miracle substance in bananas is called BanLec, a type of lectin, which are the sugar-binding proteins found in a variety of plants. Scientists have long been interested in lectins because of their ability to halt the chain reaction that leads to certain viral infections. In the case of BanLec, it works by binding naturally to the sugar-rich envelope that encases the HIV virus, thus blocking its entry into the body.

"The problem with some HIV drugs is that the virus can mutate and become resistant, but that's much harder to do in the presence of lectins," said lead author Michael D. Swanson. "Lectins can bind to the sugars found on different spots of the HIV-1 envelope, and presumably it will take multiple mutations for the virus to get around them."

Swanson and his colleagues noted that even modest success in developing BanLec into a vaginal or anal microbicide could save millions of lives. In fact, 20 percent coverage with a microbicide that is only 60 percent effective against HIV may prevent up to 2.5 million HIV infections in three years. Furthermore, a BanLec ointment would be much cheaper to produce and distribute than most current anti-retroviral medications that require the production of synthetic components.

One thing's for sure: new ways of stopping the transmission of HIV are desperately needed. Condoms are effective, but they are often used incorrectly or inconsistently, and in many cultures and developing countries women are not always in control of their sexual encounters. The introduction of a cheap, long-lasting, self-applied ointment derived naturally from bananas could change all of that.

http://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-well-being/stories/bananas-prevent-hiv-infection

*yawn* catch the HIV first then you will know ... nonsense
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Clemzy16(m): 2:27pm On Sep 20, 2012
Sisi_Kill: Hehehehe....why did the image of Africans Chowing down on bananas like there is no tomorrow.... flash in my head? cheesy

I ain't saying nothing but . . Africans. . . Banana. . .ya know. lipsrsealed
I get what you mean. But the truth is.. Too much of everything is a disease. Hope this is not another way of asking africans to eat more bananas. Like they've always view us to be. This time, even the white man go eat banana pass monkey.
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Clemzy16(m): 2:30pm On Sep 20, 2012
Okoro2015: This research makes sense. HIV virus does no serious harm to the Ape family.....and mehn, do they love BANANA??
What do you mean by "Ape family." hope you are not.............
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Nobody: 2:41pm On Sep 20, 2012
jammyng: Avoid sex ohh no matter how much bananas you eat.

I think this would change the price of bananas!

And the price of garri.....

Come to think of it, a banana preventing a banana shaped/induced infection. hmmmm
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Nobody: 2:48pm On Sep 20, 2012
Chanchit: So if you see people smoking igbo now, they are jst trying to prevent HIV. As for me #AMA chop banana banana#
People would start eating a trailer-load of bananas for this post!
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by LongOne1(m): 2:49pm On Sep 20, 2012
Chanchit: So if you see people smoking igbo now, they are jst trying to prevent HIV. As for me #AMA chop banana banana#

I think they meant applying the substance to the point of entry, probably as a lubricant, not by ingesting it.

@ Post; pretty soon everyone will be going bananas.
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by james1(m): 2:59pm On Sep 20, 2012
Yes,I reason with the other poster;why haven't all the monkeys died off?
.....And they eat bananas like crazy!
Someone somewhere must have reasoned that monkeys have hiv,haven't died off and they eat bananas.lol.
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Nobody: 3:03pm On Sep 20, 2012
james1: Yes,I reason with the other poster;why haven't all the monkeys died off?
.....And they eat bananas like crazy!
Someone somewhere must have reasoned that monkeys have hiv,haven't died off and they eat bananas.lol.
Are you serious! This comment is silly and laughable!
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Nobody: 3:09pm On Sep 20, 2012

whatever makes you think you contract HIV via sex alone
Perfect IGNORANCE!!
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Nobody: 3:22pm On Sep 20, 2012
Take banana till you go YO!!!! Depends on the banana o! If na the fruit or the... grin
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Nobody: 3:25pm On Sep 20, 2012

I thinks banana will soon be far from reach. Anyway, it a good development.
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by decrox199(m): 3:31pm On Sep 20, 2012
[s][/s] grin
chucky234: Na the unripe ones oooo
haba bro! U wicked oº°˚˚˚° grin
chucky234: Na the unripe ones oooo
haba bro! U wicked oº°˚˚˚°
Re: Natural Compound In Bananas Prevents HIV Transmission by Burger01(m): 3:33pm On Sep 20, 2012
afam4eva: I just ordered for two trailer load of bananas grin

Btw, if bananas can prevent HIV, why can't it cure it even if it means mixing it with something. What's our doctors/pharmacists even doing. get your hands dirty and find the cure to HIV/Aids.
Trailer load.. Waoo. I believe there is cure in America. They are just being political about it all. Whatever could be prevented must surely have cure.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Monkeypox: Can It Be Treated And How Worried Should You Be? / PTF On COVID-19 Arrives Cross River State On Fact Finding Mission / Bill Gates Warns Of Terror-Sponsored Smallpox Pandemic, Seeks Research Funds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.