Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,303 members, 7,811,898 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:38 PM

My Career Dilemma - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Career Dilemma (892 Views)

I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? / I'm Caught In A Career Dilemma And Don't Know What To Do / My Career Dilemma (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Career Dilemma by mikkybrick: 11:56am On Sep 20, 2012

Career dilemma

i'm in my late 20s, graduated from Engr. faculty in 2006 (not computer/electrical engr) though, with a flare for IT that begun since the early 2000s. To cut the long story short, this is a synopsis of my career thus far:

Studied and gained knowledge in web design/PHP development, microsoft OS,hardware troubleshooting and general IT skills etc on my own before finishing university.

worked in a small telco, well big telco making small money, as an executive assistant - applications development, general IT support (staff/customer), as well as Microsoft windows server admin assistant. certifications - OCA, duration 2yrs+

Moved to an ISP, where my windows server skils came in handy. i later picked up cisco and became quite good with R & S, IP design etc - (small pay). certifications - MCP,MCTS,MCITP,CCNA,CCNP, duration - 3yrs+

I am presently in a specialized IT services firm (Better Pay)(multi-national), where i have picked up useful UNIX skills. i have come to fall in love with the ease at which complex tasks are done on the fly with UNIX - Solaris to be precise.

6months into my present employment, i am getting bored. Partly because it the job is part IT, part boring Business meetings.
Now this is my dilemma:

i have a few IT skills i want to build upon:

Cisco: i want to do CCIE written, then do a design certification before going for my CCIE lab
UNIX: Already 80% done with studying Solaris 10 (I use it everyday on the Job)
VMWARE: (Virtualization)already have all the video materials for VCP5 but cant write the exam because i need to attend an instructor lead course that would cost $5k
NETAPPsadStorage) I have all the materials for Data ONTAP, yet to begin studying
Citrix: Materials available too

Now, i am thinking that i may be crazy for wanting to do all these. i love to learn and i want to improve my future chances in the IT industry, being that the trend is towards the Cloud i.e datacenter technologies. Money is a factor too, as i want to be able to live the good life (The Nigerian Dream - lol).

PS: i have a genuine love for Networking, but while listening to a tech podcast, the anchor said part of what he has learnt being a consultant/CCIE, is that employers beleive you can solve any problem they throw @ you. Not necessarily on the fly, but you should at least know the direction to point to in order to get things sorted.

So i need to know what you guys think? should i just concentrate on a niche area? or am not mad afterall for wanting to learn all of this.
(tired of typing)

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Top 10 Things Not To Say In A Job Interview / Iosh, Nebosh, Wso Etc / Statisticians On Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.