Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,038 members, 7,818,067 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:47 AM

How good is Fuel Injector Cleaners? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How good is Fuel Injector Cleaners? (11033 Views)

Mercedes Benz 190e Fuel Injector Problem / Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector / Using Of Lacquer Thinner In Gas Tank As A Cat And Injector Cleaner, How Safe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How good is Fuel Injector Cleaners? by myke20: 1:20pm On Sep 20, 2012
Pls do fuel injector cleaners sold in NNPC mega stations really work.I'm contemplating on buying one to pur inside my tank when its full wit gas. Pls respond
Re: How good is Fuel Injector Cleaners? by myke20: 7:53pm On Sep 20, 2012
Any one dere
Re: How good is Fuel Injector Cleaners? by myke20: 3:42pm On Sep 23, 2012
Anyone to answer
Re: How good is Fuel Injector Cleaners? by Nobody: 4:34pm On Sep 23, 2012
In-tank injector cleaners are not worth buying. They dissolve gum deposits, which will again settle in the injector lines, pintle caps and valves. Sometimes, benign (harmless) deposits are dislodged, and allowed to travel where'll they'll do the most harm.

The only way to clean injectors is ultrasonically, which involves removing them from the engine. They are cleaned, flow-tested, fitted with new pintle caps, upper and lower O-rings before reassembly. Any hype and claims by manufacturers of in-tank injector "cleaners" is just a money-marketing ploy, designed to swell their bank accounts, and slim-down your wallet.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How good is Fuel Injector Cleaners? by myke20: 8:06pm On Sep 23, 2012
Hmmm @ sienna thanks. Pls odas please respond.
Re: How good is Fuel Injector Cleaners? by bong4(m): 1:43pm On Sep 24, 2012
i have used those injector cleanrs and i observed that they actually cause dirts to settle at the bottom of the tank. Thus if you allow your fuel tank go empty i.e enter reserve and you refill, it mixes with the dirts and cause them to block the injector again and your car might begin to jerk even when you are on the road, it has happened to me several time and i had to wash my tank and the injector which was filled with dirts.
Re: How good is Fuel Injector Cleaners? by myke20: 2:50pm On Sep 24, 2012
@ bong thank u. So I should nt use it rite
Re: How good is Fuel Injector Cleaners? by Trac: 7:09pm On Sep 24, 2012
Siena: In-tank injector cleaners are not worth buying. They dissolve gum deposits, which will again settle in the injector lines, pintle caps and valves. Sometimes, benign (harmless) deposits are dislodged, and allowed to travel where'll they'll do the most harm.

The only way to clean injectors is ultrasonically, which involves removing them from the engine. They are cleaned, flow-tested, fitted with new pintle caps, upper and lower O-rings before reassembly. Any hype and claims by manufacturers of in-tank injector "cleaners" is just a money-marketing ploy, designed to swell their bank accounts, and slim-down your wallet.

Audi, BMW and Mercedes approve of Techron and it is explicitly officially documented. None of the harms you have stated will occur with this formulation. This is not to discredit the option of mechanical service (as you stated) or the application of techron to other vehicle brands besides the aforementioned. I personally use techron but not through the gas tank and it is the only one that gave the lasting result than the other ones used.

I had an experience that for the most part outwitted me. I was getting approximately a mile to a gallon. It wasn't doing so before but the car was mostly parked. It also passed the annual emissions. It was as if I was lugging the engine; it'll always stay in high-gears and would inappropriately match throttle response. Then it dawned on me that gasoline ferments and ethanol makes it something else. With nothing to loose, I almost emptied the tank and poured a bottle of seafoam (naphtha and snake oil) in the gas chamber and filled to a quarter. The results were slow but strange. I had a serious puddle of water from the exhaust. Large enough to draw an attention because it is abnormal. It was enough to be abnormal. That was the end of the mile-per-gallon issue. I went on a long travel that same day in that car starting with half-a-tank or more. The following day, I forced-induced it through the fuel regulator in conjunction with the throttle body to purge the intake and it quietened the engine.

In my ignorance, I used seafoam and consequentially, advised someone on this forum in accordance to my result. The result was temporary till I discovered Mercedes approved Techron as a fluid application. It is the only lasting solution that ever worked for me. I don't use the tank because I feel that it is being wasted. I won't and don't recommend seafoam.

Where I live, gas is sold as E10; in other words, 10% blend of ethanol. I personally don't believe it's 10% but more. Besides having lower BTU's, I have to worry about rust and other damages ethanol does to metals and rubber over time (being in use or extended-parked). In addition, the gas is poor in quality. A few days ago, I had to stabilise the fuel in the chamber - the pungent smell at startup is disturbing. People don't mind driving a considerably long distance to pay for the higher priced pure gasoline as opposed to the E-blended alternative. There is also an app to tell you nearby locations where purchase can be made. Carbon builds rapidly with E-blended fuels. A $4500 job (Mercedes service price) is not appropriate every couple of extended months. For me, it's not an option because every unappreciable depreciated loss in "throttle response" performance is worth investigating.

Those of us that have no choice but E-blended cannot go long without some kind of fuel treatment every now and then to control deposits and buildup. What is strange was that I was doing some before and I stopped because I listened to fact that additives are included in the gasoline formulation.

By theory, Nigerians should have pure fuel (that is unadulterated).

My humble 2-Cents.

2 Likes

Re: How good is Fuel Injector Cleaners? by myke20: 8:12pm On Sep 24, 2012
Hmmmm thanks peeps.so guess I wud nt use it den. Oda ideas welcomed
Re: How good is Fuel Injector Cleaners? by myke20: 8:26pm On Oct 05, 2012
grin
Re: How good is Fuel Injector Cleaners? by defemz(m): 5:29pm On Oct 10, 2012
I used the injector cleaner several times on my honda car and i absolutely saw no difference/effect whatsoever. I have stopped using it long ago.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

[expert Car Comparison] Camry Vs Corolla, Which Used Car Should You Buy? / Aston Martin Is Building Its First All-electric Car / Mercedes-AMG And Cigarette Racing Unveil N722m Hypercar-Inspired Racing Boat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.