Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,521 members, 7,819,875 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:33 AM

Can A 16"rim Of Tyrel Be Used On 15"rim Of Wheel? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Can A 16"rim Of Tyrel Be Used On 15"rim Of Wheel? (2862 Views)

Innoson Cars May Be Used As Official Cars For National Assembly / Motorized Three-Wheel Tricycle Spotted In Onitsha (Photos) / Hidden Benefits Of Wheel Rotation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A 16"rim Of Tyrel Be Used On 15"rim Of Wheel? by Kingsyze: 5:15pm On Sep 20, 2012
I have a colleague that is trying to convince me that he use a 16"rim tyre on a 15"rim wheel. I am finding it difficult to believe hence I am seeking advice here. If itis possible, will there be any danger this might pose? I am asking coz I want to raise the height of my car a bit using thi means.
Re: Can A 16"rim Of Tyrel Be Used On 15"rim Of Wheel? by abdulkadir(m): 5:44pm On Sep 20, 2012
nija pple!
How now? did he Feelup d remaining 1".
Use specified tyres with specifyd wheels nd u dont have issues
Re: Can A 16"rim Of Tyrel Be Used On 15"rim Of Wheel? by Nobody: 6:47pm On Sep 20, 2012
Unless you're trying to kill yourself, you wouldn't be considering running a 16" tyre on a 15" rim. If you need to raise your car, then simply fit 15" tyres with a higher profile to your existing 15" wheels.

I can't believe you're actually asking this question.
Re: Can A 16"rim Of Tyrel Be Used On 15"rim Of Wheel? by Martini101(m): 10:21am On Sep 21, 2012
Bros. This ur question is funny oh! Lol. Oga Siena just said it all
Re: Can A 16"rim Of Tyrel Be Used On 15"rim Of Wheel? by Tobiizzy(m): 9:44pm On Sep 24, 2012
This is a crazy question grin
Re: Can A 16"rim Of Tyrel Be Used On 15"rim Of Wheel? by Kingsyze: 8:54am On Sep 25, 2012
Thanks all for your comments. This is not a crazy question in anyway as I av seen the car in question, a Mazda 626. Just that d car in is PH for some repairs and not reachable now, I would have snapped the tires and post it here. I will still do that whenever the car is around. This is in no way a crazy question as some of us here said.
Re: Can A 16"rim Of Tyrel Be Used On 15"rim Of Wheel? by Nobody: 9:06am On Sep 25, 2012
Kingsyze: Thanks all for your comments. This is not a crazy question in anyway as I av seen the car in question, a Mazda 626. Just that d car in is PH for some repairs and not reachable now, I would have snapped the tires and post it here. I will still do that whenever the car is around. This is in no way a crazy question as some of us here said.

Brother, it is a crazy question, and I mean this in the nicest possible way. I don't need to see pictures of 16" tyres on 15" rims. From your response to this, it would appear you've made up your mind to fit 16" tyres to 15" rims, I can't see any other reason why you'd be trying to justify something that could kill you, and other road users otherwise.

I have just two questions to ask you:

Would you honestly, hand on heart, put your life at risk, by running a 16" tyre on a 15" rim? Tyres expand when the vehicle's being driven at a sustained speed due to heat. The pressures also rise. What do you think would happen, if one of the tyres broke its bead in service.

Even my 12-year-old niece knows the answers to the above questions.
Re: Can A 16"rim Of Tyrel Be Used On 15"rim Of Wheel? by adanny01(m): 2:00pm On Sep 27, 2012
Brother, it is a crazy question, and I mean this in the nicest possible way. I don't need to see pictures of 16" tyres on 15" rims. From your response to this, it would appear you've made up your mind to fit 16" tyres to 15" rims, I can't see any other reason why you'd be trying to justify something that could kill you, and other road users otherwise.

I have just two questions to ask you:

Would you honestly, hand on heart, put your life at risk, by running a 16" tyre on a 15" rim? Tyres expand when the vehicle's being driven at a sustained speed due to heat. The pressures also rise. What do you think would happen, if one of the tyres broke its bead in service.

Even my 12-year-old niece knows the answers to the above questions.

The question is crazy but not too out of place. The op misunderstood something. Lets try to make him understand and profer the next available solution.
OP, it is impossible to inflate a 16" tyre on a 15" rim while it is impossible to fit a 15" tyre on a 16" rim.

The option you have is to change both rim and tyre to 16". Also as Siena suggested, u can increase the profile of the tyre too. Back in 1999 i changed my rim and tyres from 13" to 14" on my Honda accord 86 model, i enjoyed the car for the next 10 yrs.

A small problem may arise since car is usually designed for a specific max size of rim. If u dont exceed the recommended tyre size, then u are ok. If u exceed, under full load, the tyre may occasionally touch the body of the car which could damage the tyre. Worst case scenario could lead to a tyre burst.
Re: Can A 16"rim Of Tyrel Be Used On 15"rim Of Wheel? by DECOtech(m): 3:14pm On Oct 20, 2012
Siena: Unless you're trying to kill yourself, you wouldn't be considering running a 16" tyre on a 15" rim. If you need to raise your car, then simply fit 15" tyres with a higher profile to your existing 15" wheels.

I can't believe you're actually asking this question.
I tire oh! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Can A 16"rim Of Tyrel Be Used On 15"rim Of Wheel? by zylkenny(m): 8:57pm On Oct 22, 2012
adanny01:

The question is crazy but not too out of place. The op misunderstood something. Lets try to make him understand and profer the next available solution.
OP, it is impossible to inflate a 16" tyre on a 15" rim while it is impossible to fit a 15" tyre on a 16" rim.

The option you have is to change both rim and tyre to 16". Also as Siena suggested, u can increase the profile of the tyre too. Back in 1999 i changed my rim and tyres from 13" to 14" on my Honda accord 86 model, i enjoyed the car for the next 10 yrs.

A small problem may arise since car is usually designed for a specific max size of rim. If u dont exceed the recommended tyre size, then u are ok. If u exceed, under full load, the tyre may occasionally touch the body of the car which could damage the tyre. Worst case scenario could lead to a tyre burst.

Nuff said!

(1) (Reply)

BMW E60 And E90 Owners/enthusiasts' Forum / Need Help To Unlock My Stereo / Looking For A Car AC Mechanic/workshop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.