Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,022 members, 7,818,024 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:02 AM

What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? (24035 Views)

10litres Of Pms For Every 100km (city Driving) Would U Consider This High / Siena help!: Steering Vibration When On 100KM/H On My Camry 2007 SE / Toyota Camry Jerks At 80-100km/hr (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by korm2me(m): 8:21am On Sep 29, 2012
Ikenna351: If you are here to learn how to drive on highway, then you should go back to driving school and start from there.

The topic simply means how to drive on highway. You dont learn driving by reading. Its a skill you learn by frrquent practice. The more you drive in the city as a beginner, the more you become skilled enough, an expert. A non expert behind the wheel or an inexperienced driver has no business with highway motoring.

I can understand why number of half baked drivers is increasing in Nigeria, since the introduction of auto transmission in today driving school. A learner will buy a car today, drive it in the city the next two days, and drive the car on highway the 3rd day. After all, he can accelerate, brake and steer the car from an object. Isn't that what driving is all about?

Learning driving with manual transmission forces one to actually imbibe the driving skill. A lot of learning takes place when a leaner is driving a manual tranny car, subconsciously. It will force you to drive as a leaner for a very long time in the city, which involves a lot of brain activity: mastering clutch engagements, when to shift to a higher and lower gears, when to use wheel brake or engine brake, etc. Unlike the auto trans that you will have only the accelerator and steering wheel to control, leaving you as dummy. The two weeks you spent in driving school are not enough to master these things. Dont expect an instructor to teach you skill he learnt after 20 years of driving in just 2 weeks.

Highway is not some exams where you read and write. It takes minutes to act on city roads, but it takes seconds for highway. You dont think on highway, you just act. Because you dont have that time to think, unlike the city driving. Its your subconscious that makes you do whatever you find yourself doing in any eventuality on highway. Its something you find yourself doing, without knowing how. Because its skill. Trust me, if you see a deep pothole on top speed, you wont remember what your instructor or someone has taught you to do in such circumstances. Everything happens in seconds. Poor judgement leads you to death or hospital. Good judgement keeps you going. All the theories you gathered as a learner ends mostly on the city roads. How you perfect your driving in the cities, is what will keep you alive first time you drive on highway.

Now to the question. Not all cars will behave the same way if you jump a deep pothole or swerve out of a pothole on top speed. Some cars are designed for highway and some are not. Likewise, the unique nature of Nigerian highways are not meant for everything on 4 wheels.

What i would do if i see myself in such situation, depends on what i am driving. Not all cars can take swerving on speed more than 100 km/h. Likewise, not all cars can maintain balance when it jumps a deep pothole on speed more than 120 km/h. This where the body weight, tire sizes, suspension & ground clearance come in. This is why am strongly against people altering the factory suspension of their cars, and still expect the car to perform as designed when it meets such situation. Such things are put into considerations when designing highway cars by the manufacturers. Altering any of it, means the car is no longer fit for high speed driving. It is that simple.

If you must drive on Nigerian highway as an inexperienced driver, dont speed upto 80 km/h. If you must drive a city car (a non handler) on Nigeria highway, dont speed beyond 80 km/h. With that speed, you can easily, brake or steer out of the pothole, without finding yourself and the car in the bush.

Ikenna.
Excellent piece. Could b publish as an article .in safety driving.
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by SonOfGRACE1: 9:52am On Sep 29, 2012
logo77: Please guys what is the best approach/decision to make when a driver suddenly sights a pothole "Death Trap" while travelling at a high speed.

Suggestions please.....
stay relaxed. Gently slam on d brakes and run over d pot hole.
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by SonOfGRACE1: 9:54am On Sep 29, 2012
Infact i enjoyed every bit of it.very enlightening i must say.
korm2me:
Excellent piece. Could b publish as an article .in safety driving.
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by apach4ever(m): 10:10am On Sep 29, 2012
Heard if you see a pot hole while driving at speed hold your steering tight and ride it, unfortunately when faced with the practical I failed woefully tried to swerve, lost control and skidded off the road slamming into some tractor equipment. Luckily I wasn't hurt but as for the car... Well let's say I'm getting a lot of excersise done walking nowadays. The point is there are somethings only experience can teach you and I pray when faced with this situation you make the right choice.

3 Likes

Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by Arctic(m): 10:51am On Sep 29, 2012
My advice would be:

1. Firmly apply your brakes. Make sure you don't swerve at this high speed as this may cause you to lose control of the car.

2. If there are cars behind me I would quickly put on my hazard lights at this point to alert those behind me that there is danger ahead. Otherwise they may not notice in time and may end up rear ending you.

3. If above 100 kph then swerving in an attempt to avoid the pothole could be even more dangerous as you could end up losing control of the car completely.

4. Take your feet off the brakes just before you enter the pothole. This is to try and see if your momentum at this point (remember your physics) will carry you across the pothole,

I guess the worst that could happen if you navigate it succesfully as above would be a damaged suspension and undercarriage.

However trying to avoid it at high speed could result in a nasty accident.

Artic
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by Shaw007(m): 11:32am On Sep 29, 2012
berem: carry your car on your head and jump and pass the pothole shikena!
fapcrook: YOU ARE SO DRYYYYY
i think sey na only me see am o!!

Topic,lotta automobile men here,i'm positive the op got his answer. . .Learnt a GREAT deal!!! Nice. . .

1 Like

Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by talkingfingers: 12:01pm On Sep 29, 2012
azpekuliar: If you SUDDENLY sight it, drive right into it while slowing down. Seen avoidable accidents and needless deaths occur just because the driver tried to dodge a pothole he sighted late. Better to end up with damaged rims, suspensions and shocks, than end up in the morgue.

In the event you fail to remember this, three Our Fathers and at least a dozen Hail Marys would do.
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by mkoabiola: 12:13pm On Sep 29, 2012
I can see xpert and serious contribution while d dummies are saying nonsense.
More xpert contribution will SAVE A LIFE. No b lie.

1 Like

Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by talkingfingers: 12:14pm On Sep 29, 2012
Arctic: My advice would be:

1. Firmly apply your brakes. Make sure you don't swerve at this high speed as this may cause you to lose control of the car.

2. If there are cars behind me I would quickly put on my hazard lights at this point to alert those behind me that there is danger ahead. Otherwise they may not notice in time and may end up rear ending you.

3. If above 100 kph then swerving in an attempt to avoid the pothole could be even more dangerous as you could end up losing control of the car completely.

4. Take your feet off the brakes just before you enter the pothole. This is to try and see if your momentum at this point (remember your physics) will carry you across the pothole,

I guess the worst that could happen if you navigate it succesfully as above would be a damaged suspension and undercarriage.

However trying to avoid it at high speed could result in a nasty accident.

Artic

Just the kinda stunts you'd see in Bond movies. What a list! If one had time enough to do ALL THESE, why bother? They might as well take the easier option... Slow down gradually and take the pothole with ease.
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by dj5naira(m): 1:40pm On Sep 29, 2012
redsun:

Common sense is highly endangered in nigeria. If people can just think of the consequencies of their actions before they act,d whole country will sit up. The man that is incharge of keeping the road safe will know to use the monies to fix the road for his own safety,rather than stealing it and dying untimely of car crash.
We humans just love taking risk.
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by StepG: 3:17pm On Sep 29, 2012
azpekuliar: If you SUDDENLY sight it, drive right into it while slowing down. Seen avoidable accidents and needless deaths occur just because the driver tried to dodge a pothole he sighted late. Better to end up with damaged rims, suspensions and shocks, than end up in the morgue.
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by Nobody: 7:11pm On Sep 29, 2012
toba: this is tricky. its either u apply ur brake and then enter the pothole or u check ur mirror, if both sides re free, then u can swerve to either side.
just as stated above, trying to avoid traps like that has caused several more fatal accidents than anticipated.

my two experiences i would share. sometime in 2003, i was returning from vgc via the lekki epe expressway. just before the chevron roundabout around 9pm i didnt sight the gallop on time at a speed of 120km/hr, i applied my brake softly and then passed over at high speed. thank God nothing happened but may if applied a forceful brake, something might have happened. only God knows.

The other happened same yr just by the MRS filling station along the owonronsoki expressway whilst going to ikeja. the guy in my front saw a pothole, decided to apply his brake all of a sudden and stopped completely. i had no choice than to hit him from behind and the commercial bus behind me also hit me. it was some how fatal but no casaulties.

lesson: applying brake isnt the solution

What do you mean by FATAL? Did anyone die? If no one died then it was GHASTLY not fatal!
All d same, thank God you pulled through
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by styno(m): 9:39pm On Sep 29, 2012
First reaction is to slam your brake, but that depends on how close the next car is behind you. If you can center or side track the pothole , nice but if not possible, apply your brake but whatever you do, never enter the pothole with your foot on the brake, i.e. take your foot off the break just before you enter the pothole.
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by plendil: 9:49pm On Sep 29, 2012
tunapawizzy: increase ur speed to like 160km/hr

shuo!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by styno(m): 9:50pm On Sep 29, 2012
When you see a pothole while doing 100km/h on the highway do the following;
1. Apply your brake to slow down.
2. Bring your car to a stop.
3. Pack your car and get a shovel (probably from your booth)
4. Use the shovel to dig up some dirts and cover the pothole
5. Get into your car and continue your journey.

See your mumu face wey you dey take ask mumu question. If you know say you no sabi drive, why you go dey do 100km/h for highway

1 Like

Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by Emmykeyz(m): 10:10pm On Sep 29, 2012
I'VE SAID THIS BEFORE AND I'LL SAY IT AGAIN! SIMPLY PRESS F2 TO START NEW GAME!
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by mchuxx(m): 10:17pm On Sep 29, 2012
What to do: Apply your brakes and if there's no sufficient time PLEASE release your brake before the impact. YOUR life is better off and the impact on your car is lesser than if you hold the brake and enter the pot hole , you stand a higher risk of sommersaulting or completely damaged bumpers and wheels. BUT if there's time to swerve do but gently. at high speed a little turn of steering can get u in the bush.
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by adonisgold: 10:57am On Sep 30, 2012
It depends, if it's not too wide I "center" it and accelerate , if it's wide and not too deep I accelerate, if it's too wide and deep, I hit the brakes lightly a couple of times to reduce speed and swerve around it.

2 Likes

Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by merteeny(m): 3:57pm On Oct 01, 2012
grin ;DPictures please. ;DPictures please.
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by logo77: 10:53am On Oct 12, 2012
apach4ever: Heard if you see a pot hole while driving at speed hold your steering tight and ride it, unfortunately when faced with the practical I failed woefully tried to swerve, lost control and skidded off the road slamming into some tractor equipment. Luckily I wasn't hurt but as for the car... Well let's say I'm getting a lot of excersise done walking nowadays. The point is there are somethings only experience can teach you and I pray when faced with this situation you make the right choice.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am happy you survived it.
Some people encountered similar situations are not alive to tell the story.
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by omodapson(m): 2:32pm On Oct 12, 2012
Okay, there was this experience learnt last night.

My driver was driving at about 100/120km/h on a high way and some portion of the road was logged with water, apparently, it just stopped raining. But because of the poor visibility, my driver ran into a big pothole/crater that was covered with water. The worst that happened was a burst tyre which also affected the brakes and shock absorbers. If visibility is good, some drivers would have attempted to swerve and that could have been deadly. So my advice, if you see a pothole/crater, don't even think of swerving, rather, run into it and count your loss(es) later. Any attempt to swerve could result into loss of live(s).

We later found out that many vehicles/drivers got the same treatment from the pothole. Thank God we worked together as a team to solve our respective problems.
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by dramendra: 7:50am On Feb 07, 2013
Okija_juju:

DUDE!! What do you know about ABS?! ..
DUDE I've been liking all your contributions, please spoil it with this silly questions, rather educate him if you know more.
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by adanny01(m): 11:14am On Feb 07, 2013
Pls, note these points carefully:
(1) Know your car's handling capabilities. A BMW can sucessfully avoid the pothole but a Honda or Toyota might crash. (2) Press your breaks to slow down but never hold it into the pothole. Release it just b4 u enter to reduce d impact. Some potholes are less felt when enterd with speed. (3) Never break and turn ur steering wheel sharply at the same time. (4) B aware of traffic behind u.

Best Advice.

In addition, just before entering the death trap, give up braking and swerving actions and any other ideas not executed. Any other action, apart from holding the steering firmly in a straight position will make matters worst.

A classmate of mine in the Uni almost kill me and our other mate. We were to research on the same material so we had to travel to source it. We borrowed a friends car, but my friend who i never saw driving went to collect the car. I knew he was not good soon after we departed. On the way, being more experienced, i sighted marks of screeching tires and diversion off the asphalt but before i could say jack, we were in front of a large pothole that spanned the entire width of the two lane. He suddenly slammed the brakes while swerving left then right but no were to go. We went in, took off from the ground, by the time we landed we were heading for the median because he turned the steering. He swerved again, which started our stunt. We did 360 degrees 3 times without somersaulting before stopping. All tires were flat with no scratch on the car.

We were lucky. After fixing the car, the guy came to drive i told him fu...ck off. Our other classmate refused to enter the car until i assured her it was ok. She unfortunately died later during service year.
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by kuntash: 1:26pm On Feb 07, 2013
There are lots of dependencies to making an instantaneous decision in such circumstance..

defining "A POT HOLE" in the real context, the hole shouldn't be more than the size of an average pot... but you would agree in naija there are "drum holes", or even "well holes" on the highway.

I think it depends on the size actually ...

there are some u can drive past even by pushing it well over 100km/h on siting. (a good driver must be able to make that decision while @ same time gazing behind for any object- (car, truck , powerbike etc)

A good driver cant do bumper to bumper kinda driving when moving @ 100km/h or more, especially on highways.

A good driver does maintain the "2-second rule" while driving

I have tried to slow down at a bad "well hole" b4 when all of a sudden I sighted behind a truck struggling to control his pace just behind me... and guess what?... I need not be told what to do @ that point..... the car has to engage in emergency mode @ that instant and zoomed off thru the bad "well hole" grin grin

On the highway, a pothole that appears not to be too deep, sighting from afar, I often speed past such, it pays off in the long run, even if your car is damaged it would take you off that scene at least ..... instead of allowing perhaps a larger vehicle to hit you with more force behind..

In all these things... be xtra vigilant and put everything for baba God hand... cheesy

1 Like

Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by dj5naira(m): 2:57pm On Feb 07, 2013
adanny01:

Best Advice.

In addition, just before entering the death trap, give up braking and swerving actions and any other ideas not executed. Any other action, apart from holding the steering firmly in a straight position will make matters worst.

A classmate of mine in the Uni almost kill me and our other mate. We were to research on the same material so we had to travel to source it. We borrowed a friends car, but my friend who i never saw driving went to collect the car. I knew he was not good soon after we departed. On the way, being more experienced, i sighted marks of screeching tires and diversion off the asphalt but before i could say jack, we were in front of a large pothole that spanned the entire width of the two lane. He suddenly slammed the brakes while swerving left then right but no were to go. We went in, took off from the ground, by the time we landed we were heading for the median because he turned the steering. He swerved again, which started our stunt. We did 360 degrees 3 times without somersaulting before stopping. All tires were flat with no scratch on the car.

We were lucky. After fixing the car, the guy came to drive i told him fu...ck off. Our other classmate refused to enter the car until i assured her it was ok. She unfortunately died later during service year.

Final Destination 6!
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by starlingbawa(m): 2:43pm On Oct 03, 2014

Right thing to do.
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by Fabdedon(m): 5:03pm On Oct 03, 2014
when you see the pot hole and ur with the speed 100km/hr if it were to be me... Will increase the speed to about 120-140km/hr it will scale it i assure you...just hold the sterling tight ..!!!!
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by tmanis(m): 11:42pm On Oct 03, 2014
who knows Ken Block that posts drifting videos on YouTube? his skills could help...

1 Like

Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by KingAzubuike(f): 7:07pm On Mar 08
apach4ever:
Heard if you see a pot hole while driving at speed hold your steering tight and ride it, unfortunately when faced with the practical I failed woefully tried to swerve, lost control and skidded off the road slamming into some tractor equipment. Luckily I wasn't hurt but as for the car... Well let's say I'm getting a lot of excersise done walking nowadays. The point is there are somethings only experience can teach you and I pray when faced with this situation you make the right choice.
Lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2017 Lamborghini Centenario: One Of The Fast Cars To Beat / Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House / Engine Gets So Hot Yet Temperature Meter Reads Normal: Rav4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.