Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,621 members, 7,816,561 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:09 PM

Yar’adua Accuses Obasanjo Of Wasting N1.2trn On Energy - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yar’adua Accuses Obasanjo Of Wasting N1.2trn On Energy (2412 Views)

NNPC Under Jonathan Failed To Remit N3.2trn, Says Auditor-general / "TSA: We Realised N2.2trn In 3 Months" – Buhari / Jonathan Storms Out Of Reconciliation Meeting; Accuses Obasanjo Of Being Behind (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yar’adua Accuses Obasanjo Of Wasting N1.2trn On Energy by DisGuy: 8:23pm On Jan 16, 2008
Since we are reviewing as this govt claim what Obasanjo did, let also review others issue Obasanjo did like election 2007, since we can cancel all power project in the Niger Delta, let cancel the election . So that we cancel everything Obasanjo did,

I don't think there's anything wrong asking to see the results of the $10b invested in the power sector. OBJ basically threw money at the problem,signed contracts here and there commissioning uncompleted projects.
Some of them will definitely yield some results if they can work on the gas sector
Re: Yar’adua Accuses Obasanjo Of Wasting N1.2trn On Energy by nigeria1: 9:15pm On Jan 16, 2008
Go back and look at the list of project in 2004 , most of them are in the north. Did Obasanjo Award this contract to himself or to People in the south, No , he awarded this contract to Northerner. What Yar Adua should be doing is arresting this Northerner that were awarded this contract.
Re: Yar’adua Accuses Obasanjo Of Wasting N1.2trn On Energy by Kobojunkie: 12:40am On Jan 17, 2008
nigeria1:

Go back and look at the list of project in 2004 , most of them are in the north. Did Obasanjo Award this contract to himself or to People in the south, No , he awarded this contract to Northerner. What Yar Adua should be doing is arresting this Northerner that were awarded this contract.

Go back to all your posts and you might see a pattern. Why do you think Yar adua owes you any such or should do such for you?? Obj awarded the projects. Yar adua in the article is not awarding any contracts but stating that he wants to make sure that there is a good plan on ground before he even proceeds to disburse funds on this energy issue. Why didn't you yourself get off your ass to run for president?? It is easy to sit back in your chair and claim you have it all figured out and that it is a conspiracy against you and your imagined tribe. Yet you fail to acknowlegde the wrong doer in this case. Obasanjo, your own southern person did see fit to award the contracts as he did. Why go after the current man and not the former who used up the money as he wanted to?? Please stop with the mouthing off already and try to focus and deal with things as they really are.
Re: Yar’adua Accuses Obasanjo Of Wasting N1.2trn On Energy by dayokanu(m): 10:11am On Jan 17, 2008
President Umaru Musa Yar’ Adua may soon review five major contracts awarded by the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) valued at over N752 billion, THISDAY has learnt.
Approvals for the contracts were said to have been hurriedly given by the former President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, about a week to his exit from office.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=100666

Slowly but surely OBJ would get into trouble
Re: Yar’adua Accuses Obasanjo Of Wasting N1.2trn On Energy by tunrexdj(m): 12:47pm On Jan 17, 2008
MR PRESIDENT SHOULD PLEASE FIND SOLUTION TO THE THIS POWER PROBLEM,INSTEAD OF LAYING BLAMES HERE AND THERE.WHERE IS THE EMERGENCY IN THE POWER SECTOR?IF THE PRESIDENT IS BEREFT OF IDEAS ON HOW TO TURNAROUND THE POWER,HE SHOULD SIMPLY SAY SO.
Re: Yar’adua Accuses Obasanjo Of Wasting N1.2trn On Energy by Kashif(m): 1:41pm On Jan 17, 2008
Our president is a calculated risk averse so, he does not like to be rushed.

Will it not be better to spend one year evaluating the problem and then using four years to solve it than rushing into 'state of emergency' in one week and then getting stuck for ten years? I believe it was out of pain and enthusiasm that he promised to declare a state of emergency in the power sector. Later when he sat down to do constructive analysis, he perharps discovered that there are more than meets the eye.
Re: Yar’adua Accuses Obasanjo Of Wasting N1.2trn On Energy by nigeria1: 3:13pm On Jan 17, 2008
Kobojunkie  , on your issue , why I should run for president. I would think about it. But for Now President Yar Adua is president. So I am loyal to him, but I want the best for Nigeria, and Him,  I have no motive. Just can't imagine why our people are suffering.

You see after yesterday, I have started thinking,  Instead of getting Yar Adua to invest in the power sector. since President Yar Adua claim, we want investor. I am given a call to a company today that build power plant. I know someone in EXIM bank,  If President Yar Adua can sign a loan to build a plant in Nigeria like he did for Textile industry. And if he is not bias. I am willing to take a risk with my credit and get a canadian and USA company to get involve. I have links in a company that is involve in transmission in canada and USA with 89 branches. But all this depend on president Yar Adua signing the EXIM bank loan.
I am looking into it today.

Not to forget watch Naija Television Live. http://wwwNigeria ONE.com
Re: Yar’adua Accuses Obasanjo Of Wasting N1.2trn On Energy by Kobojunkie: 3:25pm On Jan 17, 2008
nigeria1:

Kobojunkie , on your issue , why I should run for president. I would think about it. But for Now President Yar Adua is president. So I am loyal to him, but I want the best for Nigeria, and Him, I have no motive. Just can't imagine why our people are suffering.

You see after yesterday, I have started thinking, Instead of getting Yar Adua to invest in the power sector. since President Yar Adua claim, we want investor. I am given a call to a company today that build power plant. I know someone in EXIM bank, If President Yar Adua can sign a loan to build a plant in Nigeria like he did for Textile industry. And if he is not bias. I am willing to take a risk with my credit and get a canadian and USA company to get involve. I have links in a company that is involve in transmission in canada and USA with 89 branches. But all this depend on president Yar Adua signing the EXIM bank loan.
I am looking into it today.

Not to forget watch Naija Television Live. http://wwwNigeria ONE.com

I hope he does not sign another blind contract with anotehr bank even if it is Exim bank for loan. I am sorry, I have read all your posts and I do not think you have a good plan for that country at all. Infact, I think you are so biased that even if he signed with this exact bank and went along with your plan, you would still complain if he did not bring it all right to your own side of the country. Tribalism is ok but when someone goes on and on about it in most every post, I see something wrong in that. Infact, I consider that going overboard.
Re: Yar’adua Accuses Obasanjo Of Wasting N1.2trn On Energy by nigeria1: 4:50pm On Jan 17, 2008
No I have no motive. I get nothing out of it. Look I believe we can be a great Nation. We have everything to make Nigeria great. And all I want to see is that everything works well. Why do you think you are abroad, because nothing works, That is the reason I started Nigeria ONE.com I want to see Change. I am not a tribalist, Just some that hate seen people been cheated. And just for you to note. I am not from the south south. I am Yoruba, So building the project in the south south would not add anything to me,

I just said all I did out of the love for Nigeria. I believe we can have 24 X7 and I am determine to see it in my life time, And I see Yar Adua has the man that God has put this project into his hand, It is a spiritual thing for me. It has to do with the word of God, let me share with you,

When saul went into the house of Jesse to anoit one of his children king, samuel saw Eliab and and assume, this is the king, but word of God said , God look at the heart. You see Yar Adua had a brother, who everybody believe would be president, but God did not, And God out of the nothing pick Yar Adua to be king over Nigeria. Just like Eliab who was in the army, Musa Yar Adua was also in the army, who would believe Umar would be president. Only God knows, just relate Musa and Umar , and David and Eliab ,, you would get what I mean. But do you know some wicked people tried to decieve David so that God word would not come to pass. Same with Umar, You get one I am doing thing. It is not a personal thing. I just want to see Umar to be a good King over Nigeria.

1 Samuel 16
Samuel Anoints David

4 Samuel did what the LORD said. When he arrived at Bethlehem, the elders of the town trembled when they met him. They asked, Do you come in peace?

5 Samuel replied, Yes, in peace; I have come to sacrifice to the LORD. Consecrate yourselves and come to the sacrifice with me. Then he consecrated Jesse and his sons and invited them to the sacrifice.

6 When they arrived, Samuel saw Eliab and thought, Surely the LORD's anointed stands here before the LORD.

7 But the LORD said to Samuel, Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.

8 Then Jesse called Abinadab and made him pass in front of Samuel. But Samuel said, The LORD has not chosen this one either.

9 Jesse then made Shammah pass by, but Samuel said, Nor has the LORD chosen this one.

10 Jesse made seven of his sons pass before Samuel, but Samuel said to him, The LORD has not chosen these.

11 So he asked Jesse, Are these all the sons you have? There is still the youngest, Jesse answered, but he is tending the sheep. Samuel said, Send for him; we will not sit down until he arrives.

12 So he sent and had him brought in. He was ruddy, with a fine appearance and handsome features. Then the LORD said, Rise and anoint him; he is the one.

13 So Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the presence of his brothers, and from that day on the Spirit of the LORD came upon David in power. Samuel then went to Ramah.
Re: Yar’adua Accuses Obasanjo Of Wasting N1.2trn On Energy by nigeria1: 7:44pm On Jan 17, 2008
Here is the cost of energy abroad.

Re: Yar’adua Accuses Obasanjo Of Wasting N1.2trn On Energy by chidichris(m): 10:10pm On Jan 17, 2008
nigeria 1,
are u talking bcs u must talk or you are talking bcs u have a point to prove?
yar adua accused obj and yar adua accused the last administration means the same.
the amount s in question wether $1 or 1million the question remains, does the work done represent the amount involved? if the answer is yes, it mean yar adua and most nigerians are accusing obj falsefully but if the answer is no, it means we were defrauded so the war on corruption can go on or we will continue seeing ribadu and co as weapons of oponents' destruction and obj as a cheat and a fraudstar of the highest order.
Re: Yar’adua Accuses Obasanjo Of Wasting N1.2trn On Energy by Iman3(m): 2:18pm On Jan 25, 2008
An excellent article on the issue:

Having spent some $6 billion on failing to attain an initial target of 4,000MW by revamping older power stations and the construction of new ones between 1999 and 2004, the federal government with the urging of Liyel Imoke who was Minister of Power and Steel, then decided to embark on the colossal National Integrated Power Project. On the latter another $4 billion, or so, was sunk. The whole scheme was a huge rent seeking opportunity for people in government and the Power Holding Company of Nigeria. The allure was just too hard to resist.

Someone was even suggesting here that little or no money was spent prior to the NIPP. This is the eternal lesson of public sector led investment-it is almost always and everywhere a clearly uneconomical way to invest.

When it conceptualised and proceeded to blow money on the NIPP, the Obasanjo administration promised to generate 10,000MW of electricity before leaving office.

Where is Debosky?He was a key supporter of this project grin

nstead contracts were awarded at breakneck speed to the Siemens and General Electrics of this world, and other Nigerian contractors in a fragmented manner as opposed to on a turnkey basis. A perfect example I was told recently, is the 300-tonne gas turbine which was imported for a proposed power station in Alaoji somewhere in the South-east. When it was ordered no planning was given to the process of transporting the gigantic turbine to its destination. Today, it is lying on the wrong side of the river because the bridge over which it should have been conveyed cannot support the weight of the turbine.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=101036
Re: Yar’adua Accuses Obasanjo Of Wasting N1.2trn On Energy by debosky(m): 2:25pm On Jan 25, 2008
while it may be uneconomical, the 4billion has NOT been spent on the NIPP, Yar'adua's 'Rule of Law' sillyness ensured that the NIPP was essentially stopped. If that was continued, there would be visible changes in the power situation now.

That is actually the greatest waste of all, after all the energy and time have been spent conceptualizing and planning the project, now its in implementation stage. Then Umar decides we shouldn't use excess oil funds to finish the project. That is simply silly, just enact a law allowing these projects to be financed and completed. It won't solve the problem completely, but the impact will definitely be felt.

On a final note, maybe the money has not been commensurate with improvement, but nevertheless, Obj moved things from 1,600 to 3,200MW in his time, that should be noted.
Re: Yar’adua Accuses Obasanjo Of Wasting N1.2trn On Energy by doyindamus: 2:31pm On Jan 25, 2008
this one make me laugh o I-Man from that your article grin grin grin grin

''A perfect example I was told recently, is the 300-tonne gas turbine which was imported for a proposed power station in Alaoji somewhere in the South-east. When it was ordered no planning was given to the process of transporting the gigantic turbine to its destination. Today, it is lying on the wrong side of the river because the bridge over which it should have been conveyed cannot support the weight of the turbine.''

@Debo

I made a similar comment somewhere regarding this halt to the whole programme by Yaradua.

It is just a testament to their cluelessness as to how to proceed rather than the portrait of wisdom they want to paint undecided
Re: Yar’adua Accuses Obasanjo Of Wasting N1.2trn On Energy by folahann(m): 2:35pm On Jan 25, 2008
Thi is to tell you what has being happenig to Nigerian's money "Nigeria actually don't have money"
Re: Yar’adua Accuses Obasanjo Of Wasting N1.2trn On Energy by Iman3(m): 2:43pm On Jan 25, 2008
debosky:

while it may be uneconomical, the 4billion has NOT been spent on the NIPP, Yar'adua's 'Rule of Law' sillyness ensured that the NIPP was essentially stopped. If that was continued, there would be visible changes in the power situation now.

While it may be uneconomical? If $4bn was spent on gas power generation stations alone,it should yield an extra 6000MW of power.It is clearly uneconomical.

Visible changes? Sure, but at what price?It is quite clear that we are not getting value for money.To spend $10bn overall and barely boast of "visible changes" is risible.Of course,if you spend billions of dollars,there will always be changes but the changes must be commensurate with the amount spent.

On a final note, maybe the money has not been commensurate with improvement, but nevertheless, Obj moved things from 1,600 to 3,200MW in his time, that should be noted.

Mark Twain said, figures lie and liars figure .Nigeria's power output was not 1600MW when OBJ ascended into power.That's ridiculous.The OBJ administration has been spinning this tale to excuse their waste.I don't know what the exact figures where but it was around 2,400 MW at the beginning of 1999
Re: Yar’adua Accuses Obasanjo Of Wasting N1.2trn On Energy by Iman3(m): 2:58pm On Jan 25, 2008
doyindamus:

this one make me laugh o I-Man from that your article grin grin grin grin

''A perfect example I was told recently, is the 300-tonne gas turbine which was imported for a proposed power station in Alaoji somewhere in the South-east. When it was ordered no planning was given to the process of transporting the gigantic turbine to its destination. Today, it is lying on the wrong side of the river because the bridge over which it should have been conveyed cannot support the weight of the turbine.''

I heard something similar in relation to the building of the Ikot Abasi ALSCON smelter. They couldn't figure out how to transport some of the equipment to the site once they had imported it into Nigeria.Something about the bridge in the area having a steel structure above it that was too low to allow transit. grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dont Waste Your Your Soldiers: Militants Tells The President / List Of Suspected Christian Boko Haram Bombers / **LIFELESS Shekau!**see Boko Haram's Shekau On Hospital Bed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.