Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,047 members, 7,825,341 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 12:00 PM

What Does The "Image" Of God Mean? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does The "Image" Of God Mean? (1467 Views)

Does The Term "Son Of God" Mean That Jesus Is Not God? / Image Of An Angel Appears In The Clouds In Pretoria,south Africa. / What Does The Name 'god' Mean? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does The "Image" Of God Mean? by Nobody: 11:30am On Sep 25, 2012
The Bible uses the word for image in many ways, including denoting a statue, an idol or a copy ( Vine's Expository Dictionary of Biblical Words , 1985, "Statue" ). Barnes' Notes says, "'Image' is a word taken from sensible things, and denotes likeness in outward form, while the material may be different" (notes on Genesis 1:26
).

Likeness means "the original after which a thing is patterned" ( Vine's , "Likeness" ). "'Likeness' is a more general term [than image], indicating resemblance in any quality, external or internal" (ibid.).

The creation of all living creatures was introduced with the repeated phrase "according to its kind" (Genesis 1:21
, 24-25).

The introduction of man seems to break the pattern, as it does not say, "The earth will bring forth man according to his kind." However, the pattern isn't broken at all. Rather, in verse 26 God announced, "Let Us make man after Our image, according to Our likeness"—to resemble God.

Additionally, He endowed man with the ability to think, to create and to dominate the rest of creation. These are godlike qualities, superior to any other creature.

In its notes on Genesis 1:26
, Matthew Henry's Commentary says, "Man was not made in the likeness of any creature that went before him, but in the likeness of his Creator; yet still between God and man there is an infinite distance " (emphasis added). True, there is an infinite difference between God's original creation making humans in His form and shape, with godlike abilities, and His incredible plan to make us of His substance, along with His holy, righteous character. Then the children of God, forever thankful and submissive to the eternal God, will be completely in the image and likeness of our Father (1 John 3:1-2).
Re: What Does The "Image" Of God Mean? by Nobody: 11:32am On Sep 25, 2012
Re: What Does The "Image" Of God Mean? by Nobody: 11:34am On Sep 25, 2012
Image in that sense means shape.While man has the image of God he still does not have the nature of God which is trinitarian
Re: What Does The "Image" Of God Mean? by Jenwitemi(m): 11:55am On Sep 25, 2012
Man is also a trinity in his constitution; spirit, soul and physical flesh and blood. That is a true trinity of man right there.
chukwudi44: Image in that sense means shape.While man has the image of God he still does not have the nature of God which is trinitarian
Re: What Does The "Image" Of God Mean? by Nobody: 11:59am On Sep 25, 2012
Jenwitemi: Man is also a trinity in his constitution; spirit, soul and physical flesh and blood. That is a true trinity of man right there.

Man is a living Soul only because he has the spirit of God in him or should we say breath as it is rightly depicted in scriptrue.

Take away that spirit and man goes from a living soul to a dead body.

You are a Soul NOW and as we speak because you have the breath of God in you.

"the LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being."

It does not say here that God breathed a soul and spirit into MAN, simply that he breathed into MAN and he became a Soul.
Re: What Does The "Image" Of God Mean? by Jenwitemi(m): 12:02pm On Sep 25, 2012
The SPIRIT is the part of man that is the same with the nature of the creator. The true self of man. The rest are just shadow self.The body and soul, that is..
Re: What Does The "Image" Of God Mean? by niceprof: 12:33pm On Sep 25, 2012
The image of God is a person:JESUS CHRIST. COL 1:15
Re: What Does The "Image" Of God Mean? by ijawkid(m): 6:20pm On Sep 25, 2012
chukwudi44: Image in that sense means shape.While man has the image of God he still does not have the nature of God which is trinitarian

We have the nature of God too.....

That's why we are called Gods too....

Hope u no forget.......
Re: What Does The "Image" Of God Mean? by okeyxyz(m): 7:15pm On Sep 25, 2012
In the image & likeness of God. It means God is Human!
Think about it. Why all this attention on Man, of all his creations? Why are the angels or whatever spirit, whom we believe are supernatural not sufficient? Why use a Human as the messiah & Son of God? Why does "all creation await the manifestation of the sons of God"? God must be Human jorr!
Re: What Does The "Image" Of God Mean? by Jenwitemi(m): 7:29pm On Sep 25, 2012
And "HE" loves MEN, obviously. He has no use for women, apparently.
okeyxyz: In the image & likeness of God. It means God is Human!
Think about it. Why all this attention on Man, of all his creations? Why are the angels or whatever spirit, whom we believe are supernatural not sufficient? Why use a Human as the messiah & Son of God? Why does "all creation await the manifestation of the sons of God"? God must be Human jorr!
Re: What Does The "Image" Of God Mean? by okeyxyz(m): 7:34pm On Sep 25, 2012
Jenwitemi: And "HE" loves MEN, obviously. He has no use for women, apparently.

Either you are genuinely "dull" of mind smh..,
Or you are simply making levity, in which case i oblige you with some grin grin grin
Re: What Does The "Image" Of God Mean? by Jenwitemi(m): 7:37pm On Sep 25, 2012
I am genuinely dull of mind. So make me sharp of mind by telling me the use of the female by the bible god in the bible. He even had to be reminded before he gave lonely Adam a woman in the genesis tory. The guy hates the female gender. A real misogynist.
okeyxyz:

Either you are genuinely "dull" of mind smh..
Or you are simply taking levity, in which case i oblige you with some grin grin grin
Re: What Does The "Image" Of God Mean? by codeline(m): 7:39pm On Sep 25, 2012
Zx
Re: What Does The "Image" Of God Mean? by okeyxyz(m): 7:49pm On Sep 25, 2012
Jenwitemi: I am genuinely dull of mind. So make me sharp of mind by telling me the use of the female by the bible god in the bible. He even had to be reminded before he gave lonely Adam a woman in the genesis tory. The guy hates the female gender. A real misogynist.

Well since you assert that you are genuinely "dull of mind", I won't argue with you there. So I'll take you slowly through the scriptures. First:

Genesis 1:27-28:
27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

28 God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”

for a dull mind, the bolded should not be too hard a concept to "wrap" your mind around ehh??
Re: What Does The "Image" Of God Mean? by Jenwitemi(m): 9:20pm On Sep 25, 2012
Well, forgive my slow mind for not grasping it yet, but is that creation talking about the same one that happened in the garden of Eden or about the creation that occurred some place else? I ask this question because bible god only created Adam and had to be reminded to create Eve. Are there two creation stories in the bible. And if the man and woman are created in the image of this god, that should mean that he, god, is a MAN, right? Treat my slow mind gently, o great smart one. wink grin
okeyxyz:

Well since you assert that you are genuinely "dull of mind", I won't argue with you there. So I'll take you slowly through the scriptures. First:

for a dull mind, the bolded should not be too hard a concept to "wrap" your mind around ehh??
Re: What Does The "Image" Of God Mean? by okeyxyz(m): 12:22am On Sep 26, 2012
Jenwitemi: Well, forgive my slow mind for not grasping it yet, but is that creation talking about the same one that happened in the garden of Eden or about the creation that occurred some place else? I ask this question because bible god only created Adam and had to be reminded to create Eve. Are there two creation stories in the bible.
Err.., okay, So he had to be "reminded". And your point is..?

And if the man and woman are created in the image of this god, that should mean that he, god, is a MAN, right? Treat my slow mind gently, o great smart one. wink grin

Well, He gave man the mandate to "rule & dominate" the earth & all creation(Genesis 1:28). So who's attribute is it to "rule & dominate" all of creation if not god's? Do you know any other being that creates/invents & "searches out secrets"(science/philosophy)? Why would god give such an attribute/"glory" to a specie that is not of his own kind? Does a lion pass it's genes to a goat? No sir, a lion "begats" a lion, same way god passes his "genes/glory" to a god, Thus:
Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground."(Genesis 1:26)

So, by logic, God must be Man!
Re: What Does The "Image" Of God Mean? by Jenwitemi(m): 10:05am On Sep 26, 2012
Looks like you are the slow minded one today. So let me explain it slooowwwwly to you very briefly. If he were not reminded he wouldn't have created a female. Finito! Clear now? He had to be reminded that the man he created needs a female partner before he actually did it. According to the bible tale, of course.
okeyxyz:
Err.., okay, So he had to be "reminded". And your point is..?

Well, if god has done that, why the phuck does he still keep poking his nose in our affairs? No trust or just frigging bored with his own life?
okeyxyz:

Well, He gave man the mandate to "rule & dominate" the earth & all creation(Genesis 1:28). So who's attribute is it to "rule & dominate" all of creation if not god's? Do you know any other being that creates/invents & "searches out secrets"(science/philosophy)? [/b]Why would god give such an attribute/"glory" to a specie that is not of [b]his own kind? Does a lion pass it's genes to a goat? No sir, a lion "begats" a lion, same way god passes his "genes/glory" to a god, Thus:
Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground."(Genesis 1:26)

So, by logic, God must be Man!
Re: What Does The "Image" Of God Mean? by Ubenedictus(m): 11:04am On Sep 26, 2012
frosbel:

Man is a living Soul only because he has the spirit of God in him or should we say breath as it is rightly depicted in scriptrue.

Take away that spirit and man goes from a living soul to a dead body.

You are a Soul NOW and as we speak because you have the breath of God in you.

"the LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being."

It does not say here that God breathed a soul and spirit into MAN, simply that he breathed into MAN and he became a Soul.

do you realise what u just did? U imply that what is im man is "the spirit of God" wow, not long ago u said Hell mean anihilation, so God would distroy "the spirit of God"? U just made a profound theological blunder. Do u even know what u just said? GOd cannot kill or distroy his very own spirit, it is like saying (if u believe the spirit is Gods active force) 'god killed his own active force, or( if u believe d spirit is a person) God killed a part of the Godhead. Anyway u interprete it, it say that the spirit of man is immortal because it is the spirit of God.
Frosbel ur theology has started to put u in serious trouble. Take a long look at ur statement again.
Re: What Does The "Image" Of God Mean? by Ubenedictus(m): 11:07am On Sep 26, 2012
Jenwitemi: The SPIRIT is the part of man that is the same with the nature of the creator. The true self of man. The rest are just shadow self.The body and soul, that is..
if your spirit is the very nature of the father, that means ur spirit is immortal. Wow! I thought u guy said God would distroy d spirit of d damned.
Re: What Does The "Image" Of God Mean? by MacDaddy01: 11:34am On Sep 26, 2012
Bunch of christian nutjobs on this thread.

If man was made in god's image, we would all be invisible.

man is an animal. We belong to the same hominid family with apes.

science and the bible do not agree.
Re: What Does The "Image" Of God Mean? by Nobody: 11:44am On Sep 26, 2012
MacDaddy01: Bunch of christian nutjobs on this thread.

If man was made in god's image, we would all be invisible.

man is an animal. We belong to the same hominid family with apes.

science and the bible do not agree.

Surely you are not this 'thick' , right ?

grin
Re: What Does The "Image" Of God Mean? by MacDaddy01: 12:06pm On Sep 26, 2012
frosbel:

Surely you are not this 'thick' , right ?

grin

$1,000,000 if you can point anything incorresct in my statement
Re: What Does The "Image" Of God Mean? by okeyxyz(m): 1:05pm On Sep 26, 2012
Jenwitemi:
Looks like you are the slow minded one today. So let me explain it slooowwwwly to you very briefly. If he were not reminded he wouldn't have created a female. Finito! Clear now? He had to be reminded that the man he created needs a female partner before he actually did it. According to the bible tale, of course.

Hehehehehe... grin grin grin I left my answer hanging on purpose because i knew you were gonna jump, and jump you did, Now you have crashed!!! You see ya-self nah? So, can you kindly show me in the bible where "He was reminded"? as you so eloquently put it grin. Please Entertain me..
Re: What Does The "Image" Of God Mean? by MacDaddy01: 3:04pm On Sep 26, 2012
Frosbel don run commot!

Soldier of god on the run!!!!!
Re: What Does The "Image" Of God Mean? by Ubenedictus(m): 3:11pm On Sep 26, 2012
MacDaddy01: Frosbel don run commot!

lol, macdaddy the character.
Re: What Does The "Image" Of God Mean? by Nobody: 3:27pm On Sep 26, 2012
MacDaddy01: Frosbel don run commot!

Still persecuting Yahweh huh?
Re: What Does The "Image" Of God Mean? by MacDaddy01: 3:31pm On Sep 26, 2012
seriallink:

Still persecuting Yahweh huh?

Cant persecute a guy that doesnt exist.

Explain why you as a Nigerian submit to this forign Jewish God that chose to ignore West Africa until the british came with slavery.
Re: What Does The "Image" Of God Mean? by Jenwitemi(m): 5:57pm On Sep 26, 2012
I have crashed in your fantasy? I am no bible reader, bro, that is supposed to be your domain. What did the creation story in the genesis say to you that happened between building Adam from clay and making Eve from Adam's rib cage? I am sure you have read that part before. Tell me when you have refreshed your memory or reread the holy book.
okeyxyz:

Hehehehehe... grin grin grin I left my answer hanging on purpose because i knew you were gonna jump, and jump you did, Now you have crashed!!! You see ya-self nah? So, can you kindly show me in the bible where "He was reminded"? as you so eloquently put it grin. Please Entertain me..
Re: What Does The "Image" Of God Mean? by korrej(m): 5:19pm On Sep 27, 2012
@All. Abeg make una come finish the discourse...so that i go evaluate for myself
@code... I was agreeing with you but thought of something-if the spirit was the image how come Adam couldnt know good or evil until he ate the forbidden fruit?
Re: What Does The "Image" Of God Mean? by k2039: 10:42pm On Sep 27, 2012
[size=15pt]
2 Corinthians 3:18 New International Version (©1984)
And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.

The Image of God, can only be observed within "God's Qualities".
One must become the mirror, and reflect "God's Qualities"(One must reflect the qualities of the source(God), back to the source).
God created us in Reality to be an actual likeness of Himself, immortal, secure, omniscient, etc.But in this present world we are limited, mortal, insecure, powerless, ignorant, etc. In the fullness of time we will be exactly like the father.
[/size]
Re: What Does The "Image" Of God Mean? by MacDaddy01: 11:05pm On Sep 27, 2012
k2039:
2 Corinthians 3:18 New International Version (©1984)
And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.

The Image of God, can only be observed within "God's Qualities".
One must become the mirror, and reflect "God's Qualities"(One must reflect the qualities of the source(God), back to the source).
God created us in Reality to be an actual likeness of Himself, immortal, secure, omniscient, etc.But in this present world we are limited, mortal, insecure, powerless, ignorant, etc. In the fullness of time we will be exactly like the father.

Commot for road jo with your nonsense preaching. You think writing in a sexy font will hide your BS?
Re: What Does The "Image" Of God Mean? by truthislight: 10:44am On Sep 28, 2012
Jenwitemi: And "HE" loves MEN, obviously. He has no use for women, apparently.
OU
you need more info

GENESIS said he created them(Adam) male and female.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Comet Ison Is Approaching / Getting Married To A Divorced Man Or Woman Is A Sin? / Jesus Was An Ugly Man Compared To Satan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.