Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,935 members, 7,828,264 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:30 AM

What Does The Name 'god' Mean? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does The Name 'god' Mean? (1163 Views)

Does The Term "Son Of God" Mean That Jesus Is Not God? / What Does The "Image" Of God Mean? / I Saw A Snake In My Dream. What Does It Mean? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does The Name 'god' Mean? by lilkech(m): 2:04pm On Aug 04, 2012
Hello,

I and some guys are in an argument. And a question has come up.

We all know that each and every individual and entity has a name, and it is right to believe that every name has a meaning. Both foreign and native names all have their respective meanings. E.g

IGBO - EZE - KING

YORUBA - TUNDE - ANOTHER FATHER

ENGLISH - CYNTHIA - GODDESS

Your name(s) has its own meaning, mine have theirs, even down history and into the bible its the same. But why I started this thread is to know the meaning of the word 'GOD'.

Why I ask this is because I know that tribes and races have their different 'gods' and their gods have names which have meanings we can translate it to.

According to the dictionary God is defined as "The creator and ruler of the universe and the founder of all moral authority", but the question here is not 'who is God' (atheists please take special note) instead the question is 'what does the word/name God mean'?

One guy was open enough to make meaning of our debate and told us that the word God means 'cause to happen'. Another guy when asked answered that it means 'Jehovah' when asked further what Jehovah meant he said 'I AM THAT I AM' when asked further still what it meant he then came right back to 'God' . . . Well, what can I say? I don't know the meaning of the name 'GOD'

Or do you?
Re: What Does The Name 'god' Mean? by LordReed(m): 7:08pm On Aug 04, 2012
Etymology
From Middle English, from the Old English god (“supreme being, deity”), related to Old High German got (“a rank of deity”), from the Proto-Germanic *gudan, from the Proto-Indo-European *ǵʰuto- (“that which is invoked”), from Proto-Indo-European *ǵʰaw- (“to call, to invoke”) or *ǵʰew- (“to pour”). Not related to the word good.
Re: What Does The Name 'god' Mean? by Jerry2i(m): 8:03pm On Aug 04, 2012
Dat name(GOD)is a mystery.
Re: What Does The Name 'god' Mean? by LordReed(m): 8:11pm On Aug 04, 2012
Jerry2i: Dat name(GOD)is a mystery.

There is no mystery to it. It is just a representative word which and was coined from ancient languages. It is Who the word represents that is the Unsearchable.

1 Like

Re: What Does The Name 'god' Mean? by okeyxyz(m): 8:21pm On Aug 04, 2012
lilkech:
One guy was open enough to make meaning of our debate and told us that the word God means 'cause to happen'

That was a perfect definition of god. He had just defined "god the spirit"

2 Likes

Re: What Does The Name 'god' Mean? by lilkech(m): 10:34pm On Aug 04, 2012
okeyxyz:

That was a perfect definition of god. He had just defined "god the spirit"

I see. This makes some sense
Re: What Does The Name 'god' Mean? by lilkech(m): 10:35pm On Aug 04, 2012
Lord_Reed: Etymology
From Middle English, from the Old English god (“supreme being, deity”), related to Old High German got (“a rank of deity”), from the Proto-Germanic *gudan, from the Proto-Indo-European *ǵʰuto- (“that which is invoked”), from Proto-Indo-European *ǵʰaw- (“to call, to invoke”) or *ǵʰew- (“to pour”). Not related to the word good.

Abeg what dictionary or encyclopedia did you cull this from?
Re: What Does The Name 'god' Mean? by LordReed(m): 1:57am On Aug 05, 2012
lilkech:

Abeg what dictionary or encyclopedia did you cull this from?

From wiktionary.org but just search for etymology of the word God.
Re: What Does The Name 'god' Mean? by lilkech(m): 8:30am On Aug 05, 2012
Lord_Reed:

From wiktionary.org but just search for etymology of the word God.

Oddly, the exact history of the
word God is unknown. The word
God is a relatively new European
invention, which was never used
in any of the ancient Judaeo-
Christian scripture manuscripts
that were written in Hebrew,
Aramaic, Greek or Latin.

According to the best efforts of linguists and researchers, the root of the present word God is the Sanskrit word hu which means to call upon, invoke, implore.

Well, from what I read it seems that the word 'God' has no direct meaning except where I read that it may mean 'the invoked one' in some pre indo-european language.

Thanx for the help Reed
Re: What Does The Name 'god' Mean? by chrisley024(m): 10:34am On Aug 07, 2012
God ie 'theo' means 'self-existin'. Nt actualy a name bt a descriptn. Yahweh is d real name
Re: What Does The Name 'god' Mean? by Ubenedictus(m): 10:52am On Aug 07, 2012
lilkech: Hello,

I and some guys are in an argument. And a question has come up.

We all know that each and every individual and entity has a name, and it is right to believe that every name has a meaning. Both foreign and native names all have their respective meanings. E.g

IGBO - EZE - KING

YORUBA - TUNDE - ANOTHER FATHER

ENGLISH - CYNTHIA - GODDESS

Your name(s) has its own meaning, mine have theirs, even down history and into the bible its the same. But why I started this thread is to know the meaning of the word 'GOD'.

Why I ask this is because I know that tribes and races have their different 'gods' and their gods have names which have meanings we can translate it to.

According to the dictionary God is defined as "The creator and ruler of the universe and the founder of all moral authority", but the question here is not 'who is God' (atheists please take special note) instead the question is 'what does the word/name God mean'?

One guy was open enough to make meaning of our debate and told us that the word God means 'cause to happen'. Another guy when asked answered that it means 'Jehovah' when asked further what Jehovah meant he said 'I AM THAT I AM' when asked further still what it meant he then came right back to 'God' . . . Well, what can I say? I don't know the meaning of the name 'GOD'

Or do you?
God is not a name it is a title that is used to refer to the supreme divine being.
Re: What Does The Name 'god' Mean? by okeyxyz(m): 12:44pm On Aug 07, 2012
Ubenedictus: God is not a name it is a title that is used to refer to the supreme divine being.

Names are titles too, Every name has it's roots in one title or another and that is why names have meanings/descriptions. We seem to have lost this concept these days as most people choose names based on how it sounds rather than what it means.
Re: What Does The Name 'god' Mean? by LordReed(m): 2:46pm On Aug 07, 2012
Ubenedictus: God is not a name it is a title that is used to refer to the supreme divine being.

Not entirely correct but will be sufficient for day to day use.
Re: What Does The Name 'god' Mean? by lilkech(m): 6:06pm On Aug 07, 2012
Logic Mind: write it in reverse and you will understand. Don't forget the CAPITAL G.

Guy get off this thread.

Whatever we discuss here does not concern you at all.

Excercise a lil bit of self respect okay.
Re: What Does The Name 'god' Mean? by lilkech(m): 6:09pm On Aug 07, 2012

A name is a title and a title is a name

They mean the same thing

Thats why on some forms and stuff they usually write "title" where "name" is supposed to be.

(1) (Reply)

Flight 777: A Parable / Another Pastor And Private Jet / Dead Man Raised Twice In Warri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.