Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,027 members, 7,818,032 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:37 AM

South Africa More Likely To Occupy Permanent Seat In UN Security Council - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / South Africa More Likely To Occupy Permanent Seat In UN Security Council (2357 Views)

Nigeria Causes Palestinian Statehood To Fail At UN Security Council / Of What Importance? Nigeria Wins UN Security Council Seat / U.N. Security Council Fails To Pass Resolution On Syria! Loved It. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

South Africa More Likely To Occupy Permanent Seat In UN Security Council by Msauza(m): 9:45pm On Sep 25, 2012
This came after analysts favoured South Africa as the favourite among the IBSA, that is, India, Brazil and South Africa to occupy permanent seat in the United Nations Security Council. SA is the only country in Africa that seem to have stable democracy and the only diversified nation across the continent. Thus, South Africa is no different to all the countries that have permanent seats in UNSC because of its experience to deal with people of different cultures, religions and nations. South Africa is no different to the United Kingdom and United states of America in terms of its composition.
Re: South Africa More Likely To Occupy Permanent Seat In UN Security Council by solomon111(m): 11:28pm On Sep 25, 2012
Lol!
Dreamer.
You will tell me,which democracy china practices.
SA does not even influence Africa beyond the southern-african region.

2 Likes

Re: South Africa More Likely To Occupy Permanent Seat In UN Security Council by cjrane: 12:53am On Sep 26, 2012
They deserve it, at least they are not under threat of sudden disintegration and collapse as Nigeria risks everyday.

2 Likes

Re: South Africa More Likely To Occupy Permanent Seat In UN Security Council by ektbear: 1:43am On Sep 26, 2012
Of those:

India, Brazil, then South Africa

in order of most to least deserving.

SA is a relatively insignificant country in terms of world affairs...why should it get a permanent seat?
Re: South Africa More Likely To Occupy Permanent Seat In UN Security Council by ektbear: 1:46am On Sep 26, 2012
Though truth be told, the same is true of France and the UK. It should be something like:

1. US
2. EU
3. China
4. India

maybe Russia or Brazil as the 5th. Japan too, perhaps?

Those are the big dogs on this planet.
Re: South Africa More Likely To Occupy Permanent Seat In UN Security Council by Msauza(m): 5:20am On Sep 26, 2012
solomon111: Lol!
Dreamer.
You will tell me,which democracy china practices.
SA does not even influence Africa beyond the southern-african region.

I'm a South African/ Nigerian born of a Nigerian (Igbo) father. Even my father (prof) also admits that when SA sneezes, the rest of the continent catches the cold. SA has much of an influence in Africa than we can ever Imagine, the only challenges though are former french colonies which seem not to support SA in most political issues. Most of the refugees in SA are from the latter countries, perhaps, this could be the reason why they do not support SA because it provides protection and security to those who want to run such babaric regimes into complete anarchy. SA currently occupy the most important position in the AU, so my fellow countryman, how can you say that SA does not have influence beyond SADC?

2 Likes

Re: South Africa More Likely To Occupy Permanent Seat In UN Security Council by Msauza(m): 5:40am On Sep 26, 2012
ekt_bear: Though truth be told, the same is true of France and the UK. It should be something like:

1. US
2. EU
3. China
4. India

maybe Russia or Brazil as the 5th. Japan too, perhaps?

Those are the big dogs on this planet.

Chief, the issue here is not about the giants, big dogs or whatever you call it. What about developing countries specifically those in Africa, do you mean they should not have any voice? Who is there to use all resources available and represent Africa in the UN. Currently, the only country in Africa that seem to have resources to do so is SA. Egypt is more of Arabic than African, and they seem not to be interested in African agenda. The question is who will represent Africa?
Re: South Africa More Likely To Occupy Permanent Seat In UN Security Council by ektbear: 6:24am On Sep 26, 2012
If you want an "African" voice, then choose Nigeria. Since it arguably has a more significant impact on the world economy than SA does, and this gap will only increase over time (since Nigeria's growth rate >>>> SAs)
Re: South Africa More Likely To Occupy Permanent Seat In UN Security Council by Msauza(m): 9:31am On Sep 26, 2012
ekt_bear: If you want an "African" voice, then choose Nigeria. Since it arguably has a more significant impact on the world economy than SA does, and this gap will only increase over time (since Nigeria's growth rate >>>> SAs)
Re: South Africa More Likely To Occupy Permanent Seat In UN Security Council by PointB: 10:02am On Sep 26, 2012
I doubt Nigeria deserve it in our current form. A restructured Nigeria, perhaps.
Re: South Africa More Likely To Occupy Permanent Seat In UN Security Council by Nobody: 10:38am On Sep 26, 2012
Msauza:

You are spot on chief. Nigeria, my father's country of birth is the most populous country on the continent. It is the fastest growing economy in the entire continent. The question however arises, is Nigeria a stable democracy? What is it that the world has to learn from Nigeria other than terrorists activities? Even though Nigeria performs well in terms of Africa's markets, that country does not show any signs of developments. The last time I was in Nigeria was back in 2008 when we went to visit our granny in Enugu. The conditions of roads, services, sanitation, power supply, health, etc were bad as hell and had never improved ever since, thus cannot compared to centurion, Pretoria where I am based. Both my parents are based in Sundown, Jozi where my father is a lecturer. My older sister once risked to live in Nigeria, but returned back just in 3 months as she could not stand it any longer.

Maybe you need to define a "stable democracy" for clarity's sake, because as far as stable democracies go Russia and China don't fit the description.
Re: South Africa More Likely To Occupy Permanent Seat In UN Security Council by panafrican(m): 6:58pm On Sep 26, 2012
angry
Why not Nigeria or DRCongo that have more people than South Africa? This is another insult and racist act that proves these so -called western democracies only push for a white agenda. Anyway, what would all this change ? There was a sell -out ghanean Kofi Anan being the boss of the U.N ,still europeans were having fun destroying african countries through the U.N security council resolutions. One saw how Chirac and Sarkozy used the U N to kill thousands of ivorians on purpose to put in power their Puppet Allassane Ouattara.

Africans, South americans and all other third world countries should just leave this net of corruption and arrogance called U.N.
Re: South Africa More Likely To Occupy Permanent Seat In UN Security Council by morpheus24: 8:11pm On Sep 26, 2012
If they give SA the seat, don't really see much coming out of it really. South Africa to stick to builing its coalition with Comesa and the BRIC countries and leave the UN issue alone.
Re: South Africa More Likely To Occupy Permanent Seat In UN Security Council by andrewza: 6:31pm On Sep 27, 2012
panafrican: angry
Why not Nigeria or DRCongo that have more people than South Africa? This is another insult and racist act that proves these so -called western democracies only push for a white agenda. Anyway, what would all this change ? There was a sell -out ghanean Kofi Anan being the boss of the U.N ,still europeans were having fun destroying african countries through the U.N security council resolutions. One saw how Chirac and Sarkozy used the U N to kill thousands of ivorians on purpose to put in power their Puppet Allassane Ouattara.

Africans, South americans and all other third world countries should just leave this net of corruption and arrogance called U.N.

Population is not a factor. The DRC is still in shambles and nigeria is a nation that brings only 2 things to the table crude oil and population and even nigeria is facing internal security problems.
Re: South Africa More Likely To Occupy Permanent Seat In UN Security Council by andrewza: 6:39pm On Sep 27, 2012
morpheus24: If they give SA the seat, don't really see much coming out of it really. South Africa to stick to builing its coalition with Comesa and the BRIC countries and leave the UN issue alone.

I agree and disagree.
SA in the UN security council will not change much for africa sin SA will not push a African agenda but a South African Agenda witch are not all ways the same thing. Though it is not needed and most people in SA would not feel a difference if we got on the council, we have nothing to loose by pushing for it. I mean it may come in handy in latter years when we all dead.
Re: South Africa More Likely To Occupy Permanent Seat In UN Security Council by panafrican(m): 7:45pm On Sep 27, 2012
angry

andrewza:

Population is not a factor. The DRC is still in shambles and nigeria is a nation that brings only 2 things to the table crude oil and population and even nigeria is facing internal security problems.
angry
In a doctored evaluation process people change the criteria depending on the face of the candidates.
And we all know the U.N is a bunch of crooked well-known for rigging elections around the world. So please !
Re: South Africa More Likely To Occupy Permanent Seat In UN Security Council by Nobody: 6:42pm On Feb 27, 2013
Msauza:

I'm a South African/ Nigerian born of a Nigerian (Igbo) father. Even my father (prof) also admits that when SA sneezes, the rest of the continent catches the cold. SA has much of an influence in Africa than we can ever Imagine, the only challenges though are former french colonies which seem not to support SA in most political issues. Most of the refugees in SA are from the latter countries, perhaps, this could be the reason why they do not support SA because it provides protection and security to those who want to run such babaric regimes into complete anarchy. SA currently occupy the most important position in the AU, so my fellow countryman, how can you say that SA does not have influence beyond SADC?
abeg to differ and get your acts together the biggest African communities in SA are Naijan and Zombie both are Anglophone.
Re: South Africa More Likely To Occupy Permanent Seat In UN Security Council by scarred: 2:31pm On Feb 28, 2013
This discussion shows just how well western propaganda has worked in shaping how we think and how we view the world. If Africa and by extension Africans knew what was good for them, instead of clamouring for a place in the UN, they would all reject the UN and focus instead on strengthening PAN AFRICAN ties.

The UN and all its agencies have been used to maintain and secure western relevance and economic dominance in the world. The biggest contributor to the UN is the US and trust me, the US only invests in things that benefits the US. So you tell me, if US interests and African interests are mutually compatible and when you realize that they are not, maybe then you will realize that once again, we have been hoodwinked and bamboozled.

1 Like

Re: South Africa More Likely To Occupy Permanent Seat In UN Security Council by Isaac0808: 10:58pm On Jun 01, 2016
As a south african and who has written a dissertation on this nonsense I believe Africa needs 1 permanent seat held by AU leader.

SA will push BRICS agenda and Nigeria will support UK USA . Leader of the AU has more interest in Africa than any country in Africa
Re: South Africa More Likely To Occupy Permanent Seat In UN Security Council by Missy89(f): 3:18am On Jun 02, 2016
No African country will get a permanent seat in the council. EVER

2 Likes

Re: South Africa More Likely To Occupy Permanent Seat In UN Security Council by overhypedsteve(m): 2:33pm On Jun 02, 2016
Missy89:
No African country will get a permanent seat in the council. EVER
thank you Joor. Fixing South Africa as a parmanent member does not solve the problem of African representation in the UNSC. The western powers won't support SA, the BRICS powers may not all support Nigeria so the two African rivals can kiss it good bye. Yeye rivalry.

1 Like

Re: South Africa More Likely To Occupy Permanent Seat In UN Security Council by Isaac0808: 3:05am On Jun 10, 2016
You see now the US destabilizing BRICS country, first with Brazil now with sa claiming there are terror attacks . Putin will attack back u will see . but SA n Nigeria can forget about that seat.

(1) (Reply)

Russia Military Buildup,US Intelligence Warns Of New Russian Cruise Missiles. / VP Of Dominion Voting Machine Goes Into Hiding / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.