Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,827 members, 7,813,744 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:26 PM

Nigeria Causes Palestinian Statehood To Fail At UN Security Council - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Nigeria Causes Palestinian Statehood To Fail At UN Security Council (29906 Views)

Massive Pro-palestinian Protest Outside The White House / Of What Importance? Nigeria Wins UN Security Council Seat / U.N. Security Council Fails To Pass Resolution On Syria! Loved It. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Causes Palestinian Statehood To Fail At UN Security Council by tbaba1234: 5:15am On Dec 31, 2014
#UN Security Council rejects Palestinian statehood resolution

According to the Haaretz, #Nigeria was the country that determined the result of the #UNSC vote; it moved from supporting the Palestinian resolution to abstaining.

12:37 A.M. Nigeria was the country that determined the result of the UNSC vote; it moved from supporting the Palestinian resolution to abstaining. (Barak Ravid)

http://www.haaretz.com/mobile/1.634596

The UN Security Council rejected Tuesday night a draft resolution on Palestinian statehood, with 8 votes in favour, 2 against, and 5 abstentions.

The USA voted against, but without the required nine votes in support of the resolution, Washington was not required to exercise its veto power. Australia joined the U.S. in rejecting the text.

Russia, China, France, Jordan, Chad, Luxemburg, Argentina, Chile voted in favour of the draft resolution. The UK, Rwanda, Lithuania, Nigeria, South Korea abstained.

The Council convened following moves by Jordan to bring the Palestinian-prepared draft resolution to the vote, with the backing of Arab ambassadors.

The resolution called for a Palestinian state on the territories occupied by Israel in 1967, with East Jerusalem as the capital. It also included a December 2017 deadline for an end to Israel's occupation.

Earlier in the day, British UN Ambassador Mark Lyall Grant stated his country would not be backing the resolution, adding to an earlier declaration from the U.S. that it could not support the draft.

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/news/americas/16085-un-security-council-rejects-palestinian-statehood-resolution

[b]Palestinian sources told Haaretz that the U.S. put heavy pressure on several states to abstain from the vote. According to estimations, countries like South Korea and Nigeria decided against supporting the bid due to U.S. pressure. (Jack Khoury)
[/b]
Re: Nigeria Causes Palestinian Statehood To Fail At UN Security Council by Firefire(m): 5:27am On Dec 31, 2014
Good move.

Nigeria did very well in abstaining.

The Palestinian should return to the negotiations table.

The request of returning to pre 1967 border and E. Jerusalem as their capital requires mutual agreement & understanding, a unilateral approach of UN is not the solution.

Shalom!

55 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Causes Palestinian Statehood To Fail At UN Security Council by tbaba1234: 5:29am On Dec 31, 2014
Nigeria has always supported the Palestinian cause for Statehood.

This is a significant but sad shift in our foreign policy.

28 Likes

Re: Nigeria Causes Palestinian Statehood To Fail At UN Security Council by funkiebully: 5:30am On Dec 31, 2014
Coming from a religious bigot, How did Nigeria abstaining cause Palestinian statehood to fail? Was it Nigeria that made the number of nay more than yes? What about other countries that abstained aswell?

Hope u have not started using this one to campaign against GEJ in ur mosques bc that's What u ppl are good at.

217 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Nigeria Causes Palestinian Statehood To Fail At UN Security Council by Mynd44: 5:33am On Dec 31, 2014
tbaba1234:
Nigeria has always supported the Palestinian cause for Statehood.

This is a significant but sad shift in our foreign policy.
When I heard my bells went off in my head. Since when did we change this policy of ours?

Sad for Palestine. I wonder why we abstained though

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Causes Palestinian Statehood To Fail At UN Security Council by tbaba1234: 5:36am On Dec 31, 2014
Mynd44:

When I heard my bells went off in my head. Since when did we change this policy of ours?

Sad for Palestine. I wonder why we abstained though

Mr. President has been quite close to Israel.

41 Likes

Re: Nigeria Causes Palestinian Statehood To Fail At UN Security Council by Firefire(m): 5:39am On Dec 31, 2014
funkiebully:
Coming from a religious bigot, How did Nigeria abstaining cause Palestinian statehood to fail? Was it Nigeria that made the number of nay more than yes? What about other countries that abstained aswell?

Hope u have not started using this one to campaign against GEJ in ur mosques bc that's What u ppl are good at.

shocked cheesy

I see your point.

The OP is on a failed mission.

The Palestinians cannot achieve statehood except through dialogue.

64 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria Causes Palestinian Statehood To Fail At UN Security Council by tbaba1234: 5:40am On Dec 31, 2014
funkiebully:

Religious bigot Who is the one that has spoken about religion

Nigeria is the only country of the lot that has changed its position. The Haaretz, an israeli paper stated as more.

If you read the article, there were not more nays than yes.

READ!!!!

28 Likes

Re: Nigeria Causes Palestinian Statehood To Fail At UN Security Council by funkiebully: 5:41am On Dec 31, 2014
tbaba1234:

Keep coming out gradually, I already know where u are driving at.

Mr president is close to Israel bc He observes his religious duties. So He should shun Israel to satisfy u lots.

I know Why this man GEJ is hated so much by Muslims in Nigeria, nothing But for his faith.

114 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Causes Palestinian Statehood To Fail At UN Security Council by tbaba1234: 5:44am On Dec 31, 2014
funkiebully:

Mr president is close to Israel bc He observes his religious duties. So He should shun Israel to satisfy u lots.

I know Why this man GEJ is hated so much by Muslims in Nigeria, nothing But for his faith.

Hated by muslims Yet he got over 400,000 votes in Katsina. The home state of Buhari.

The whole of the Southeast did not give Buhari 20,000 votes.

Really, the facts do not support your claims.

Anyway, I am not here for pettiness

55 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Causes Palestinian Statehood To Fail At UN Security Council by eaglechild: 5:46am On Dec 31, 2014
The best move is to remain neutral.

We do not need another terrorist group springing up when we vote against and we do not want our relationship with the US becoming sour at this point so good move.

28 Likes

Re: Nigeria Causes Palestinian Statehood To Fail At UN Security Council by papaejima1: 5:46am On Dec 31, 2014
Good move Nigeria!
Let's sit on the fence and ride this one out. No need to have more bad blood when we can avoid it.

OP where in your report did it say Nigeria caused the failure?

I was even thinking it was a stalemate and Nigeria voted against.

Abegi...say the truth always no matter what it costs you.

38 Likes

Re: Nigeria Causes Palestinian Statehood To Fail At UN Security Council by funkiebully: 5:46am On Dec 31, 2014
tbaba1234:

Religious bigot Who is the one that has spoken about religion

Nigeria is the only country of the lot that has changed its position. The Haaretz, an israeli paper stated as more.

If you read the article, there were not more nays than yes.

READ!!!!

Why didn't u blame Rwanda, uk, south Korea, Lithuania as well, u single out Nigeria bc in ur warped mind, GEJ is close to Israel, have asked Why these countries were absent?

41 Likes

Re: Nigeria Causes Palestinian Statehood To Fail At UN Security Council by Mynd44: 5:47am On Dec 31, 2014
tbaba1234:

Well there has to be a reason why we backed out of a foreign policy.

Lets wait for that reason

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Causes Palestinian Statehood To Fail At UN Security Council by tbaba1234: 5:48am On Dec 31, 2014
funkiebully:

Why didn't u blame Rwanda, uk, south Korea, Lithuania as well, u single out Nigeria bc in ur warped mind, GEJ is close to Israel, have asked Why these countries were absent?

Of the countries mentioned, which one just changed its position

12 Likes

Re: Nigeria Causes Palestinian Statehood To Fail At UN Security Council by Firefire(m): 5:48am On Dec 31, 2014
funkiebully:

The Muslim faithful have confidence in GEJ.

Only the bigots, myopic & extremist condemn him based on his religion.

20 Likes

Re: Nigeria Causes Palestinian Statehood To Fail At UN Security Council by tbaba1234: 5:49am On Dec 31, 2014
Mynd44:

Well there has to be a reason why we backed out of a foreign policy.

Lets wait for that reason

Yes, let us wait and see
Re: Nigeria Causes Palestinian Statehood To Fail At UN Security Council by Mynd44: 5:49am On Dec 31, 2014
papaejima1:
Good move Nigeria!
Let's sit on the fence and ride this one out. No need to have more bad blood when we can avoid it.

It is surprising because our position has always being to support a palestinian state. This is a sudden change in policy

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Causes Palestinian Statehood To Fail At UN Security Council by funkiebully: 5:50am On Dec 31, 2014
papaejima1:
Good move Nigeria!

When I read d headline I Thought it was a stalemate vote n Nigeria voted nay.

Imagine How these Muslims wipe up sentiment.

It's even in our own good to b neutral, we already have enough enemies. Support Israel n become Palestinian enemy n vice versa?

29 Likes

Re: Nigeria Causes Palestinian Statehood To Fail At UN Security Council by tbaba1234: 5:52am On Dec 31, 2014
papaejima1:
Good move Nigeria!

12:37 A.M. Nigeria was the country that determined the result of the UNSC vote; it moved from supporting the Palestinian resolution to abstaining. (Barak Ravid)

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Causes Palestinian Statehood To Fail At UN Security Council by tbaba1234: 5:53am On Dec 31, 2014
funkiebully:

When I read d headline I Thought it was a stalemate vote n Nigeria voted nay.

Imagine How these Muslims wipe up sentiment.

It's even in our own good to b neutral, were already have enough enemies. Support Israel n become Palestinian enemy n vice versa?

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Causes Palestinian Statehood To Fail At UN Security Council by funkiebully: 5:55am On Dec 31, 2014
tbaba1234:

Of the countries mentioned, which one just changed its position

Change position by being absent or neutral? So uk that has always been pro Israel But abstain this time What? Did uk vote?

Keep deceiving urself.

Palestinians should seek dialogue, QED. We don't have to make more enemies by pacifying a section of d country.

26 Likes

Re: Nigeria Causes Palestinian Statehood To Fail At UN Security Council by tbaba1234: 5:57am On Dec 31, 2014
funkiebully:

Change position by being absent or neutral? So uk that has always been pro Israel But abstain this time What? Did uk vote?

UK often abstains.

2012: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2240931/U-N-agrees-recognise-Palestine-UK-abstains-vote-Hague-issues-peace-deal-demands.html

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Causes Palestinian Statehood To Fail At UN Security Council by Firefire(m): 5:58am On Dec 31, 2014
tbaba1234:

12:45 A.M. you find Nigeria reason of abstaining.

Even if Nigeria voted in support, US could still have veto the resolution.

13 Likes

Re: Nigeria Causes Palestinian Statehood To Fail At UN Security Council by funkiebully: 5:59am On Dec 31, 2014
tbaba1234:

Keep quoting Palestinian link, I don't expect less from u

10 Likes

Re: Nigeria Causes Palestinian Statehood To Fail At UN Security Council by tbaba1234: 6:00am On Dec 31, 2014
Firefire:

12:45 A.M. you find Nigeria reason of abstaining.

Even if Nigeria voted in support, US could still have veto it.

Yes, but it still shows a change in foreign policy.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Causes Palestinian Statehood To Fail At UN Security Council by tbaba1234: 6:01am On Dec 31, 2014
funkiebully:

Keep quoting Palestinian link, I don't expect less from u

Olodo,

Haaretz is an Israeli paper

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Causes Palestinian Statehood To Fail At UN Security Council by funkiebully: 6:04am On Dec 31, 2014
tbaba1234:

Olodo,

Haaretz is an Israeli paper

Whatever, it's a nay for d Palestinian statehood, go n carry more bombs.

Being neutral is our best option.

21 Likes

Re: Nigeria Causes Palestinian Statehood To Fail At UN Security Council by Firefire(m): 6:04am On Dec 31, 2014
tbaba1234:

Yes, but it still shows a change in foreign policy.

This is international politics and any thing can happen including change of policy.

12:45 A.M. is the reason.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Causes Palestinian Statehood To Fail At UN Security Council by BrokenTV: 6:05am On Dec 31, 2014
tbaba1234:

Yes, let us wait and see
And you have to come up with this heading.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Putin Finally Congratulates Biden On US Election Victory / Bus Collides With Canadian Prime Minister’s Aircraft / Only 3 Percent Of Americans Believe Trump Beat Biden

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.