Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,730 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:02 PM

Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? (25570 Views)

Any Hope For A Database Administrator In Nigeria / Any HSE Professionals In The House? / Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Bams95: 9:06am On Sep 28, 2012
I really appreciate everybody for their contributions on this tread.i have really benefited from all these nice and intelligent contributions.thanks.lets keep the contributions coming,even for others to benefit.have a great day
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by obyikye(f): 9:33am On Sep 28, 2012
[quote
author=afam4eva]
IT is IT. There's no IT course made specially for pregnant people or
people with kids or people with craw craw. All na the same.[/quote]
which is craw craw people, abi you get one ni........
I am registering come next week and I need to know which is marketable not just for learning or certificate sake.....
Afam4whatever, you are indeed a very very very funny guy.
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 9:41am On Sep 28, 2012
obyikye:
I am registering come next week and I need to know which is marketable not just for learning or certificate sake.....
Programming, web development and networking is more in demand. So, you may wanna pick one of them. The good thing with programming and web development is that you can freelance.

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Bams95: 11:12am On Sep 28, 2012
ok
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Tjoshua: 1:24pm On Sep 28, 2012
am so glad such topic was brought up. ‎​i so much love anything relating to database and for this reason am just about going for the OCP certification course at NIIT.
Although ‎​have been having mixed feelings due to the part of country we located at. But with this replies that has been given, am more confident of going into it.

Any other centres for the training apart NIIT?

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 1:25pm On Sep 28, 2012
Tjoshua:

Go to either Aptech or New Horizons.
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Bams95: 8:27pm On Sep 28, 2012
Tjoshua: am so glad such topic was brought up. ‎ i so much love anything relating to database and for this reason am just about going for the OCP certification course at NIIT.
Although ‎ have been having mixed feelings due to the part of country we located at. But with this replies that has been given, am more confident of going into it.

there is firstlogic in Oba akran ikeja and VI,then karrox ikeja ,new horizon(ikeja and festac) and Aptech.best of luck bro
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by pluto04(m): 10:37pm On Sep 28, 2012
obyikye:

What are you naturally interested in? What did you study at undergraduate level? What did you find that you naturally do very well in? Logic? Math? Programming? Networking?

Most of the common IT Certifications are marketable if you become very good and have good commercial awareness.

Being marketable is a good criteria for selecting a certification but you also need to do something you're really interested in and something that comes naturally to you. It will be very difficult to do well for example as a Networking Professional, no matter how lucrative the profession is, if you have no real interest in Networking apart from the potential remuneration.

What sets the skilled people apart from the mediocre also-ran is the desire to always to extra miles to seek knowledge and to solve problems. You can't go extra mile if your main motivation is remuneration and if you're not passionate and naturally interested in an IT profession.
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by mfm04622: 2:27am On Sep 29, 2012
afam4eva: There are only a few companies that use Oracle in Nigeria and they're mostly multi-nationals. The only bank i know that uses Oracle is Zenith. There jusr aren't jobs for Oracle Database Administrators(DBA).

Most banks in Nigeria uses Oracle. But most organizations that employ Oracle professionals look for graduates that are Oracle professionals, not just those that are certified
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Bams95: 7:48am On Sep 29, 2012
mfm04622:

Most banks in Nigeria uses Oracle. But most organizations that employ Oracle professionals look for graduates that are Oracle professionals, not just those that are certified
I am a graduate, B Sc,and am certified( OCP).
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by unphilaz(m): 3:40pm On Sep 29, 2012
Bams95: thanks,am skillful in mysql,microsoft access,oracle SQL and Pl/SQL,I can use oracle on LINUX/UNIX platform,i can perform backup and recovery using RMAN,i can do various oracle database administration work.knowledge of microsoft excel,powerpoint and word.but i cant lie to u,i dont currently av knowledge in java and web programin,but i have the plan to learn them.

great since you want to start programming, get java for dummies and use youtube, enouf tutorials for u Success

2 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 3:48pm On Sep 29, 2012
Bams95: thanks,am skillful in mysql,microsoft access,oracle SQL and Pl/SQL,I can use oracle on LINUX/UNIX platform,i can perform backup and recovery using RMAN,i can do various oracle database administration work.knowledge of microsoft excel,powerpoint and word.but i cant lie to u,i dont currently av knowledge in java and web programin,but i have the plan to learn them.
You could also learn java and any web scripting language if you put your mind to it. All you need are books...if you need books just request it from http:///forum/index.php?board=6.0
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by unphilaz(m): 4:11pm On Sep 29, 2012
double post
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by unphilaz(m): 4:11pm On Sep 29, 2012
obyikye: which is appropriate for a married woman with kids... networking, programming, webdesign, hardware maintenance, database management, pls advise
note: I read Comp. Sci at Uni. thanks all.

This is really an interesting question, i FEEL web design will be suitable for a married woman with kids, cos i was told that women know color naturally and hence webdesign needs appeal, attraction and add some database mgt to it. my observation pls
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by wonlasewonimi: 4:18pm On Sep 29, 2012
obyikye: which is appropriate for a married woman with kids... networking, programming, webdesign, hardware maintenance, database management, pls advise
note: I read Comp. Sci at Uni. thanks all.

Hone your communication skills, learn IT governance and service management methods such as ITIL, or something like Agile project management/Prince2. It's a well known fact that 80% of technical guys are being managed by 20% of non techies. They boss them around and get all the benjamins too.

2 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Inova(m): 10:12pm On Sep 29, 2012
Bams95: your words are encouraging.thanks.i wish you luck in your career.

One other thing I would bring to your concern is that what you learnt in ur traing school is totally diferent from what you will work with in the real world oracle enviroment. For example. Our oracle is installed on an HP SuperDome server running HP-UX a unix server runing similar but unique unix commands. You will discover there mite be no need for RMAN since HP-UX has the capability to take snapshots (ie save the systems state as it was). Most banks recruiting staff know u might not hv the opportunity to hv d knowledge of these servers. What they actually want to see is if you have the competence and intelligence,to be trainable. My bank has sponsored me on countless trainings home and abroad. I would be very hapy to hia wen u get ur first big JOB

2 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by obyikye(f): 2:19pm On Sep 30, 2012
[quote
author=pluto04]

What are you naturally interested in? What did you study at
undergraduate level? What did you find that you naturally do very well
in? Logic? Math? Programming? Networking?

Most of the common IT Certifications are marketable if you become very
good and have good commercial awareness.

Being marketable is a good criteria for selecting a certification but
you also need to do something you're really interested in and something
that comes naturally to you. It will be very difficult to do well for
example as a Networking Professional, no matter how lucrative the
profession is, if you have no real interest in Networking apart from the
potential remuneration.

What sets the skilled people apart from the mediocre also-ran is the
desire to always to extra miles to seek knowledge and to solve problems.
You can't go extra mile if your main motivation is remuneration and if
you're not passionate and naturally interested in an IT
profession.[/quote]
undergraduate projct was in software deve...
programming, database management, web design and management in that order.
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by obyikye(f): 10:07pm On Oct 01, 2012
[quote
author=unphilaz]

This is really an interesting question, i FEEL web design will be
suitable for a married woman with kids, cos i was told that women know
color naturally and hence webdesign needs appeal, attraction and add
some database mgt to it. my observation pls[/quote]
thanks for your observation, I will give it thought.
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by obyikye(f): 10:12pm On Oct 01, 2012
[quote
author=wonlasewonimi]

Hone your communication skills, learn IT governance and service
management methods such as ITIL, or something like Agile project
management/Prince2. It's a well known fact that 80% of technical guys
are being managed by 20% of non techies. They boss them around and get
all the benjamins too.[/quote]
Pls how long can one study and pass ITIL course and has it specialization? thanks.
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by obyikye(f): 10:16pm On Oct 01, 2012
thank you guys guys for your analytical and informative contributions to my questions.
You guy are too much.
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Bams95: 1:46pm On Oct 02, 2012
but do people that studied Computer science and computer engineering in School have upper hands in geting jobs in the ICT world than people in other science fields?
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 1:47pm On Oct 02, 2012
Bams95: but do people that studied Computer science and computer engineering in School have upper hands in ICT world than people in other science fields?
I doubt that very much.
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Bams95: 1:52pm On Oct 02, 2012
afam4eva:
I doubt that very much.
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Bams95: 1:53pm On Oct 02, 2012
afam4eva:
I doubt that very much.
it seems most of the job adverts are for computer graduates,i think they hardly want to see people from the physical and biology sciences especially for entry level even though you are good and you have the certifications .

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 1:56pm On Oct 02, 2012
Bams95: it seems most of the job adverts are for computer graduates,i think they hardly want to see people from the physical and biology sciences
They look for IT experts who could have studied any course in school and not just computer science graduates.

2 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by obyikye(f): 10:13pm On Oct 03, 2012
afam4eva:
They look for IT experts who could have studied any course in school and not just computer science graduates.
Afam is right. once you are IT guru, it doesnt matter you read Computer Sciencs or not.
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by mikkybrick: 3:29pm On Oct 04, 2012
Bams95: but do people that studied Computer science and computer engineering in School have upper hands in geting jobs in the ICT world than people in other science fields?
Guy, it's not so. Employers just need to see your passion, communicate that through your Resume. I studied civil engineering in school. i started out doing web designing while in school, during my 6months IT, i was home learning PHP/MySQL. I had previously learnt HTML and SQL from w3schools.com, so the SQL part of PHP/MySQL was a breeze.
After graduation, i got a pre-NYSC job with a small TELCO doing web development, and computer hardware/software support. While there, i did Oracle 10g OCA. i hoped to use it to secure a job just like you but reality dawned on me pretty fast. I started learning Windows server 2003; thereafter, i was given access to domain controllers etc, and i had hands-on experience. My Microsoft server knowledge and Web dev. skills helped me secure another job with a major ISP where i managed their server infrastructure email, web and a host of others on various platforms. I picked up a bit of Linux, just enough to get by.lol.
While with the ISP, i also developed a passion for networking, as i was good with windows networking, i had a task to relieve my boss on some Network admin duties, so i learnt Cisco Networking! I loved it instantly! i had worked with it for 2years, learnt quite a bit b4 even writing any of the exams. my self studying even propelled me in the company as many major network designs were undertaken by me, of course supervised by my boss who most of the time vetoed it because he had confidence in my abilities. I have my CCNA and CCNP. CCIE is for next year
I've moved to a multinational company now, and UNIX is my Forte! With my small linux knowledge, learning Sun Solaris was a breeze! I've come to appreciate it a lot. with time i may need to brush up on my Oracle DB skills(Dats if i have any left).

Why did i write all these? Bros OP, you need to diversify! so you can fit into any IT job as a starter. Your future employer/employment may shape your thinking, give you exposure and also determine the skills you acquire. IT is one big circle! When i was being interviewed for my current job, i was asked questions on SQL server, cisco/windows networking, general IT, Linux etc. They just need to know you're not a 1-field man who knows oracle but nothing else.

6 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Listener10: 4:35pm On Nov 01, 2012
@all,if there is any Database related job vacancy,pls lets know.God bless
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Bams95: 4:38pm On Nov 01, 2012
Listener10: @all,if there is any Database related job vacancy,pls lets know.God bless
ok
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Listener10: 1:33pm On Nov 04, 2012
where are d Oracle professionals in d house?
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Bams95: 3:28pm On Nov 21, 2012
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by richfaxy: 9:03am On Dec 11, 2012
send CVs to richfaxy@gmail.com for SQL Server job in abuja before thursday 14th December 2012.
or visit this link https://www.nairaland.com/1128986/sql-server-dbas-needed-abuja for more details

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Job Can I Get With A Pass Degree In Maths/Statistics? / Photos Of A Female Painter In Akwa Ibom / Mohammed Abubakar, Former Aircraft Cleaner Set To Become Captain 24 Years After

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.