Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,992 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:26 AM

Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement (9763 Views)

Kachikwu Answering Questions At Senate Over Fuel Scarcity (Photos) / Akpabio Refuses To Apologise To Goje In The Senate Over Comment / Drama At Senate Over Buhari's #5000 Promise To Unemployed Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by Nobody: 1:24pm On Sep 26, 2012
The Minister of Information, Mr Labaran Maku, has apologised to the Senate over his comment that the resolutions of the Senate were only advisory and not binding.

The minister offered the apology on Tuesday in Abuja when he appeared before the Senate to clarify the statement credited to him in the media. The Senate had passed a resolution upon its resumption from recess that the federal government should stop the proposed issuance of N5, 000 note.

The upper legislative house had explained its position by saying the note’s introduction was contradictory to the cashless policy being canvassed. Maku, while responding to questions from journalists at a function in Abuja, was quoted as having said that the Senate’s resolution was a mere advice as it was not binding.

The Senate thereafter summoned Maku to appear before it to clarify his statement. The minister, while appearing before the Senate Committee on Information, had said: “I did not in any way intend to disparage or disrespect the authority of the National Assembly by my comment. ``I was just trying to explain to the journalists without having to make a declaration on behalf of the President (Goodluck Jonathan). ``If that comment has been misinterpreted, I tender my apologies to the Senate because personally, I have no reason to disrespect the National Assembly. “I was at a forum and journalists threw a question at me, as to whether the government would cancel the introduction of the N5000 note as a result of the Senate resolution. ``Now, I was pressed by the press and journalists were looking for headlines. The answer was not the position of the federal government and I took efforts to explain to my colleagues.’’

Maku, however, told the Senators that he was not misquoted by the press. On whether the resolutions of the Senate were binding or not, Maku said he was aware that if the nation was at war, the National Assembly had the power to extend the life span of a government.

The Chairman of the Committee, Sen. Enyinnaya Abaribe (PDP-Abia), said the Senate was worried that the government it had tried severally to support would now turn to disparage it.

The chairman, who observed that the nation was undergoing several challenges, said that it was important for both arms of government to solve them and not by resorting to bickering. He said the Senate had accepted Maku’s apology and expressed the hope that such situation would never arise again.

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/111-politics/45020-maku-apologises-to-senate-over-statement
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by RichDad1(m): 1:36pm On Sep 26, 2012
Best way to save your job. smiley :;

4 Likes

Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by pheesayor(m): 2:19pm On Sep 26, 2012
the same way they said the house resolution on subsidy removal was mere expression of opinion and not necessarily needs to be follwed
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by yuzedo: 2:19pm On Sep 26, 2012
Still a fuckwad nonetheless! undecided

1 Like

Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by wandeay: 2:21pm On Sep 26, 2012
mtcheeeew!! All of dem na dem dem still be, bunch of facktardsss!
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by duality(m): 2:22pm On Sep 26, 2012
Maku should know that the media is not his friend not at this time his boss is being persecuted by the media. he sure would get himself fired before time if he doesn't apply tact.
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by Kewt: 2:22pm On Sep 26, 2012
Maku was damn right. Resolutions of the parliament are only advisory and not binding on the executive.. He should have stood his ground like Sanusi Lamido did during 25% overhead expenditure on National assembly statement saga but I almost wept when I saw him on tv yesterday apologizing to the senate committee on information.

It’s always like that for any man who fears his stomach more than his name or reputation.

In an attempt to save his job and face, he has ridiculed the presidency and himself.

3 Likes

Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by acidtalk: 2:24pm On Sep 26, 2012
Maku is a Naturally careless talker he will definitely repeat the same thing.

If he apologises to The Senators what about the Nigerian youths that protested against the fuel subsidy removal that he called "Jobless Miscreants"? The youths too are still waiting for your apology.

2 Likes

Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by aare07(m): 2:27pm On Sep 26, 2012
a disgrace to activist
i heard that this minister was once a SUG PRESIDENT , while should him be begging Senate indirectly.
a good comrade would not relent on its statement.
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by aare07(m): 2:32pm On Sep 26, 2012
therefore ,the fear of SENATE. is begining of wisdom for the Ministers ............
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by dedeike: 2:42pm On Sep 26, 2012
This was just a political apology intended to massage big size egos. He has already said the truth and the senators know he said the truth. They are just gallivanting over nothing.
Foolish Mark.
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by omiobo: 2:45pm On Sep 26, 2012
Yes! Him for no apologise he for hear am.
anyway,THIS SPACE IS STILL FOR SALE
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by DANILSA(m): 2:47pm On Sep 26, 2012
This single act gives u enough respect from people like me, what makes you a man is ur ability to control ur emotions and tongue.i believe they have forgiven u.You better lipsrsealed or you go
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by DANILSA(m): 2:49pm On Sep 26, 2012
dedeike: This was just a political apology intended to massage big size egos. He has already said the truth and the senators know he said the truth. They are just gallivanting over nothing.
Foolish Mark.
chief long time grin, i think say ngwa people don kidnap u.
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by divatosin(f): 2:51pm On Sep 26, 2012
These senators are just a bunch of clowns. I wonder if David Mark passed secondary school Government at all.
Where on earth did they come about the idea that a resolution of parliament is binding?
It is elementary knowledge that it is only laws passed by the National Assembly that assume a force of law not resolutions.
A resolution is not enforceable. It's breach cannot even give rise to an action in court.
I'm shocked that they have used pressure to extract a cosmetic apology from Maku.
The minister of Information was damn right in his statement.

3 Likes

Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by talktrue1(m): 2:53pm On Sep 26, 2012
he suppose to kneel down and apologize. That will make more sense

That saved him from labour market
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by Nobody: 2:56pm On Sep 26, 2012
The senate cant take away his job, they have no such powers. Maku's previous statement was not wrong in anyway. David Mark is still deluded with by military pride. I guess he will meet his match in SLS someday
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by uzomagic(m): 2:57pm On Sep 26, 2012
For the sake of clarity, I want to reproduce the excerpts of that report to show that Maku is right and stood by his words and just gave a political apology inorder not to cause an executive/legislative rift. Brilliant man.

"The Senate thereafter summoned Maku to appear before it to clarify his statement. The minister, while appearing before the Senate Committee on Information, had said: “I did not in any way intend to disparage or disrespect the authority of the National Assembly by my comment. ``I was just trying to explain to the journalists without having to make a declaration on behalf of the President (Goodluck Jonathan). ``If that comment has been misinterpreted, I tender my apologies to the Senate because personally, I have no reason to disrespect the National Assembly. “I was at a forum and journalists threw a question at me, as to whether the government would cancel the introduction of the N5000 note as a result of the Senate resolution. ``Now, I was pressed by the press and journalists were looking for headlines. The answer was not the position of the federal government and I took efforts to explain to my colleagues.’’

Maku, however, told the Senators that he was not misquoted by the press. On whether the resolutions of the Senate were binding or not, Maku said he was aware that if the nation was at war, the National Assembly had the power to extend the life span of a government."

If you read the bolded critically without bias, you will be convinced beyond reasonable doubt that Maku stands by his statement. He just wants to make it clear that statements credited to him should not be associated with his principal-Jonathan hence the cosmetic apology.
He never said he was sorry for saying what we all know is the truth. He stands courageously by his statement. He said clearly that the press did not misquote him meaning that he said it and stand by it.
But for the sake of Jonathan, if the statement is misinterpreted as executive slight on legislature then I apologise.

1 Like

Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by Opoki(m): 2:58pm On Sep 26, 2012
This is what happens when u chose not to think before talking.
No matter how pressed you're press by the press, keep yourself cool, yo won't be killed if u choose not to comment... Now he make the NASS feel like super beings.
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by uzomagic(m): 2:58pm On Sep 26, 2012
diva_tosin: These senators are just a bunch of clowns. I wonder if David Mark passed secondary school Government at all.
Where on earth did they come about the idea that a resolution of parliament is binding?
It is elementary knowledge that it is only laws passed by the National Assembly that assume a force of law not resolutions.
A resolution is not enforceable. It's breach cannot even give rise to an action in court.
I'm shocked that they have used pressure to extract a cosmetic apology from Maku.
The minister of Information was damn right in his statement.
David Mark went to school...... Military School grin
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by Nobody: 3:02pm On Sep 26, 2012
Billyonaire: The senate cant take away his job, they have no such powers. Maku's previous statement was not wrong in anyway. David Mark is still deluded with by military pride. I guess he will meet his match in SLS someday

Care to explain the bolded?
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by Joey82(m): 3:04pm On Sep 26, 2012
Finally, Maku has shown us the big loud mouthed fool that he is.
y apologise to the senate when he was infact right by his statement.
If the national assembly's resolutions were not mere advise, subsidy woulda still been in place.
as it stands, the fg can still go ahead with the implementation of the 5k note and nothing go happen
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by segunjowo(m): 3:04pm On Sep 26, 2012
This space is for sale
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by omenka(m): 3:06pm On Sep 26, 2012
Dat nyukka Labaran Mouthku with his big mouth! Always sticks his foot in it wheneva he opens it. Number 2 enemy of state after Abati Reuben

1 Like

Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by sonyjacobs(m): 3:08pm On Sep 26, 2012
Hon.Maku is only trying to save his job
MAKU=PARROT

1 Like

Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by Dollarman101: 3:11pm On Sep 26, 2012
grin grin grin I m so surprised that educated people are making the kind of statements I see on this thread,
Some people can't even place the boundaries between executive powers and legislative powers. It's so unfortunate. These Senators are just power drunk. Somebody should help me tell Mark that he cannot sack a minister or DG or chairman of any MDA'S .
Perhaps, he is still smarting from military dictatorship and that is why he still feels he can fire and hire at will.
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by taharqa: 3:15pm On Sep 26, 2012
The National Assembly's Resolutions should have the force of law? As in should be binding ? Are there actuali ppl in d National Assembly arguing this?..wondas have finally ended
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by Mallamabdul: 3:21pm On Sep 26, 2012
This is a sign maturity shown by Maku,in order for the country to move forward and not dwell on the issues. And I respect him for that.
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by ojietu: 3:22pm On Sep 26, 2012
this MArKu of a woman is a coward that can do anything to protect his job. what a coward.
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by Mandelaguy(m): 3:24pm On Sep 26, 2012
Maku spoke as a principled man,he was quoted out of on text which is now a regular thing in Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

****** 2014 African Dollar Billionaire Rich List****** / Ikpeazu Declares Tuesday Public Holiday To Clean Up Abia / Buhari Celebrates WAEC At 70, Says He Was A Founding Member Of The Board

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.