Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,058 members, 7,863,753 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 04:03 AM

The Zuma Vs Malema Battle Continues - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / The Zuma Vs Malema Battle Continues (561 Views)

Zuma And Wives / ANC Suspends Julius Malema - Whats Next? / Julius Malema Called A Bbc Reporter A "Bastar..." (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Zuma Vs Malema Battle Continues by AfroBlue(m): 1:54pm On Sep 26, 2012
Fierce battle in my opine.

Ousted South African Leader in Court

Julius Malema arrives in court in Polokwane, South Africa, on Wednesday

JOHANNESBURG—Firebrand South African politician Julius Malema proclaimed his innocence Wednesday after appearing in a regional court on a charge of money laundering in connection with a 52 million rand ($6.3 million) government contract awarded to a company his family trust partly owns. He was given 10,000 rand bail.

"I have nothing to hide. I've never been part of criminal activity," Mr. Malema said to a crowd of supporters outside the court building after he made his appearance. "They have nothing against me…They are wasting time."

The rabble-rousing politician is the most prominent critic of South African President Jacob Zuma and he says the charges are politically motivated at a time when he's become outspoken about the labor unrest in South Africa's mining industry. He says the charges are meant to shut him up after he threatened to make the mines ungovernable. Mr. Malema was expelled from the ruling African National Congress party earlier this year for sowing disunity.

Mr. Malema said he was told he would face charges of fraud, corruption and money laundering, but once in court on Wednesday was told he'd only be charged on one count of money laundering. The crowd cheered when he said the charge isn't serious. Mr. Malema could face a maximum fine of 100 million rand and up to 30 years in prison.

"You must make sure that Jacob Zuma does not become the president of the ANC," Mr. Malema said Wednesday, speaking of Zuma's bid to be re-elected the party president later this year. "We must remove him as president and then charge him."

Mr. Malema had turned himself into police in Polokwane, in South Africa's northeast, early Wednesday before entering the regional court. When he entered the courtroom people there started cheering. Vigils were held through the night for him, where supporters sang songs against Mr. Zuma. Mr. Malema's next court date is Nov. 30.

In a separate case, the South African Revenue Service is also charging Mr. Malema with unpaid taxes and interest of 16 million rand.

Mr. Malema's four business associates appeared in court Tuesday on charges including fraud, corruption and money laundering for the 52 million rand awarded to the company On Point Engineering for road services in Limpopo province. They were granted a bail of 40,000 rand each.

A draft of the charge sheet said Mr. Malema benefited from the bid paid to On Point engineering and used it to fund the purchase of a farm that cost nearly 4 million rand and to make a payment for a luxury car.

Last week police surrounded Mr. Malema and threatened to arrest him when he arrived at a stadium to address striking mine workers who were meeting to vote on a wage deal. Mr. Malema was forced to leave before addressing the crowd of thousands. Nearly six weeks of strikes by workers at the platinum mine saw violence that killed 46 people.

Mr. Malema said that he would travel to Rustenburg Thursday to support local miners there who are striking.

(1) (Reply)

Obama Has No Time For Isreal / Obama Raises $181 Million In September / Biden, Ryan Squabble In Vice-presidential Debate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.