Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,592 members, 7,812,931 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:53 PM

Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss (6520 Views)

Analysts Brace For Blackberry To Post Worst Quarterly Sales In 9 Years / Apple posts the biggest quarterly profit in history / Airtel Quarterly Blackberry Internet Subscription (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by justin04(m): 12:09pm On Sep 28, 2012
Nigeria's Blackberry market is keeping RIM floating. The day Nigerians wake up and start using Iphones, Samsung and android phones. Nah doom for Blackberry ooo, unless they too improve.
Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by Ayomax(m): 2:11pm On Sep 28, 2012
[quote author=Dondbuzor]Shut up there! Always quick to compare naija with ghana with fake info and statistics.
Airtel has 1g data for just N1400. And stop displaying ur ignorance in a public forum.
sorry to say but you are a big fool, da guy was talkin abt normal internet bundle and not bb bundle. hope u get tht blind bat.
Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by grandstar(m): 3:06pm On Sep 28, 2012
benzion72: People tend to forget history so soon. Apple was indebted to tune of Billion Dollar and was bailed out by Microsoft. As long as there server still serving us ride on. Most Nigerian Banks are declaring losses FBN share I bought for 30 Naira is less than 15 Naira. It is world economic phenomenon. It is even better to declare losses than need bail out.

So true!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by ernestleon(m): 6:24pm On Sep 28, 2012
onatisi:
you are a bloody idiot ,who the hell is talking about airtel bb plans here if ur brain is too daft to reson why dont u allow other sensible reader and contributor to check the website of glo , u bloody mother forker.i am using glo and mtn here and even mtn is 200naiara for 60 mb plus added 30mb,u stupid bastard.olodo ,let ppl check the website of the companies and see and did i mention airtel .when did glo turn to airtel in ur eyes.you must be blind.arrongant slowpoke
guy na wa 4 u o..
Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by Aadeolu(m): 7:27pm On Sep 28, 2012
Old news... Next!
Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by babyboy3(m): 7:32pm On Sep 28, 2012
They need to step up their game or else Apple and Samsung would continue to eat into their market share
Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by onatisi(m): 7:57pm On Sep 28, 2012
ernestleon:
guy na wa 4 u o..
no mind me jare .na dat guy vex me, d rat no eve read wetting i write before insulting me .
Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by luluosas(m): 8:42pm On Sep 28, 2012
Dondbuzor: Shut up there! Always quick to compare naija with ghana with fake info and statistics.
Airtel has 1g data for just N1400. And stop displaying ur ignorance in a public forum.

N1,400 for 1G internet data on Airtel? How do you subscribe to this plan? Because, I'm paying N1,000 (Always Micro) for 200mb data on Glo for one month.
Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by luluosas(m): 9:21pm On Sep 28, 2012
Even with all these losses, BlackBerry still placed 3rd ahead of Microsoft and Nokia. Hope they 'll revive soon.
Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by emmatok(m): 9:50pm On Sep 28, 2012
Airtel 1g is N3000.

This is data plan, not BB plan.
Dondbuzor: Shut up there! Always quick to compare naija with ghana with fake info and statistics.

Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by kinnkw(m): 9:50pm On Sep 28, 2012
Ijebulogic: The problem with companies like RIM is they are limited in their exposure and understanding of markets outside their comfort zone (i.e the USA). Previous posters say that Africa isnt a big enough market to sustain Blackberry? I completely disagree. RIM has simply not developed a good enough strategy for Nigeria (Yet)...So far they have (finally) announced the opening of a Lagos office, because only a blind man would deny the potential of Blackberry in Africa. Let me state my reasons.
1. Nigeria alone has 160million people with an impressive teledensity of almost 75%. If RIM acquires just 10% of that market, the impact on its sales will be phenomenal
2. The Blackberry appeal is "pinging", free real time comms, which creates a chain effect. i.e. I must have a BB to communicate with another BB (the alternative Apps have some limitations). So RIM have a power-product with a multiplier effect..the only need to dock it properly in Africa.
3. There is a massive opportunity to do more reserach &development in the area of creating Apps customised for the Nigerian/African market. Apps are big money and RIM have ignored their african fan base in this regard for too long.
4. Finally, anyone who believes that an African market can not sustain a global business should see the financial statements of MTN and even more incredible - Guinness. FYI - Nigeria is the single highest contributor to Guinness global sales figures...even higher than Ireland the home of Guinness. RIM need to do what Guinness did, make the blackberry the ultimate symbol of communication for the Nigerian consumer. My two cents.

Dude Nice statistics but then that doesn't take any the fact that the only thing a blackberry phone has to offer you is BBM.
i can give you a few features you get from a regular android and IOS devices still very far fetched from a bb. vpn, voip, 3d maps, cloud integration etc.
Blackberry phones sell in Nigeria particularly because of the cost of mobile data. If people could get and little as 2gb for N1500 date plan a month on a regular device than its funeral
for bbm.
Do do not tell me the other alternatives for Bbm isn't as good, because i would personally choose skype, viber, tango and common Yahoo messenger over bbm any day.
Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by otokx(m): 10:04pm On Sep 28, 2012
Statistics speak for themselves even though advanced users may prefer an android, BBM is still a very good source of communication, the only draw back is battery life on the BB itself and of course the cost when men of the underworld strike.
Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by onatisi(m): 10:11pm On Sep 28, 2012
RIM should be grteful to nigerian networks for offering bad mobile internet services at avery very high cost.the only thing driving ppl to bb is the cheap cost of mobile internet .nothing more ,it is very affordable for the common man
Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by mrperfect(m): 10:22pm On Sep 28, 2012
Hopefully, they will recover soon.
Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by OXYZ: 8:24am On Sep 29, 2012
People advice me,if I'm not buying bb which other phone should I go for.I do a lot of research work on the net especially with my phone.
Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by Nobody: 10:01am On Sep 29, 2012
naija_swag: Bold 5 should sale for 50k. I have always told people that Africa especially Nigeria doesn't contribute much to RIM. Nigerians use fairly used phones so it doesn't directly impart RIM.

N47,000 the last time i checked.

I wonder why they are making losses with all the help they get from Naija babes clutching blackberry phones. I see a trend in Nigeria today. Private jet makers and Blackberry RIM coy all claim Nigeria to be their best markets yet poverty is increasing daily.

I will suggest Blackberry to overhaul their design. The in-thing in smart phone design is flat(slim) wide rectangular shaped. Its better to be at loggerheads with Apple than making losses.

But, seriously, i wonder when ''Blackberry'' and ''Apple'' stopped being ''friuts''.
Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by Nobody: 10:14am On Sep 29, 2012
onatisi: even in ghana bb isnt common ,because there is no need for it ,mobile internet data is too cheap so why use a bb.the major reaon bb still sells in nigeris is due to the cheap internet acess it affords its users.ie in ghana here u get 250mb for just 4ghc a month on glo which is 400 naira but the last time i was home i was paying 500 for 50 mb on etisalat,that was when i thought it makes sense to buy a bb and use in nigeria than normal good smartphone.if the cost of mobile internet is reduced yconsiderably in nigeria believe me ppl in naija will throw bb away and go for better mobile phones.nigerianslike to show off

Meeehn. Are things this cheap in Ghana Etisalat 260mb is N1,000 right now in Nigeria. Glo 250mb for N400 in Ghana is quite cheap. A savings of N600.

I would like you to send me a mail and lets compare prices of goods between Ghana and Nigeria. Magnatetimothy@gmail.com

Thanks.
Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by Nobody: 10:23am On Sep 29, 2012
O.michael.O:
you should stop showing yours!!! The guy is talking 'bout normal internet plan not blackberry plan...Thank God airtel in our lifes(i use it too),if not 1400 will only get you 250mb...and thats like the fairest normal internet plan for now....not the so called bb plan we are using...

Thank you for displaying better intelligence. I wonder what network in Nigeria would sell an internet plan of 1G for N1,400. Cant be less than N2,500 or N3,000.

Etisalat is among the cheapest and N1,000 buys only 260mb.
Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by onatisi(m): 11:26am On Sep 29, 2012
okpara ugo:

Meeehn. Are things this cheap in Ghana Etisalat 260mb is N1,000 right now in Nigeria. Glo 250mb for N400 in Ghana is quite cheap. A savings of N600.

I would like you to send me a mail and lets compare prices of goods between Ghana and Nigeria. Magnatetimothy@gmail.com

Thanks.
initially i was working with a cargo company and you wont believe the amount and number of ibo boys that come here to buy things.but i stopped the job about one year ago but from what i can remember ppl and ibo guys like buying from here although this aassumption maybe due to the few ppl i met.
when i was in the market area ,the market is called makola and it is the center of ghana west african trade ,traders from nigeria were buying blue band butter.alomo bitters,and something that got me amazed was the rate at which nigerian traders were buying biscuits and sweet,you wont believe it nigerian traders pay in advance for container load of sweets especially one that they call caramelo.the ibo traders we worked with were buying travelling suitcases .you have to go to idumota and find out but ppl do come here to buy a lot.what i learnt from my experience in the market was and is still that NIGERIAN TRADERS DRIVES THIS GHANA ECONOMY.WITHOUT NIGERIA GHANA ECONOMY IS DEAD SORRY TO SAY THIS
Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by Overlord999(m): 12:42am On Sep 30, 2012
It's really unfortunate that nigerians don't know dat samsung galaxy series, iphones, & other android phones like HTC are light years better than their precious blackberries. RIM is almost dead just like nokia. I hope bb10 & wp8 become. Successful 4 d sake of competition. If otherwise RIP nokia & BlackBerry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Manchester City Celebrates Global Partnership With TECNO Mobile / How To Download Video Clips From Twitter. (screenshots) / MTN Double Data Offer Is Back Get 100% On Any Data Purchased

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.