Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,644 members, 7,816,648 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:33 PM

Empty Seats, As GEJ Addresses The UN General Assembly - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Empty Seats, As GEJ Addresses The UN General Assembly (22973 Views)

Buhari, Obama, Ban Ki-Moon At UN General Meeting (Photos) / President Buhari Feeling Relaxed At UN General Meeting (photo) / Boko Haram: 1200 Terrorists Killed In Bama As GEJ Declares Full-scale War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Empty Seats, As GEJ Addresses The UN General Assembly by cold(m): 4:31am On Sep 28, 2012
Is this what the world really thinks of Nigeria?

Govt’s robust approach to Boko Haram paying-off – Jonathan

President Goodluck Jonathan told the United Nations Thursday that Nigeria’s “robust” approach to neutralizing a threat posed by Islamist sect, Boko Haram using military force, holding indirect talks with the group and improving education in the North is paying off.

In an interview with Reuters on the sidelines of the U.N. General Assembly’s annual gathering of world leaders, President Goodluck Jonathan also played down the significance of the killing of the sect’s spokesman, Abu Qaqa, in a gun battle in Kano on September 16.

On the threat posed by Boko Haram, President Jonathan said, “If I look at it, the trend is coming down. It is not because Abu Qaqa is dead. Abu Qaqa is just one person. If one Abu Qaqa dies, it can generate 10 Abu Qaqas.

Jonathan said: “The issue is not the death of one person. The issue is that the robust approach that government is taking, exploiting all possible means … is paying off, and we believe it will continue to pay off.”

The military has been accused of using heavy-handed tactics in the past and previous operations targeting Boko Haram had resulted in civilian deaths. But Jonathan made it clear that the military approach could only be one part of the solution.

Much more important, he said, was a push to improve agriculture, job prospects and access to Western-style education in the predominantly Muslim north.

Agriculture, education, job creation

The President said; , “The whole approach, both the security aspects, the indirect talks, and the job opportunities that we are creating, we are giving hope to the people. The education institutions we are establishing are giving hope to the people.

“One links up with the other to get to the respite we are seeing now. I cannot credit it to only one approach”, he said

This week, the Joint Military Taskforce said it killed 35 members of Boko Haram and arrested several during an overnight gun battle in Damaturu, Yobe state capital.

President Jonathan also spoke about the Nigerian government’s plan to put oil revenues into a sovereign wealth fund, a move state governors vowed last week to go to court to prevent.

He said “Yes, we can go to court. But we believe it is not the best to solve certain problems through a court. We are discussing, and I believe at the end of the day we will get to a point where both parties will win.”

“They are not arguing because they know that the sovereign wealth fund is transparent, they trust the Minister of Finance. They feel that some of the states have challenges and they want to decide what percentage they can put in. But we feel no, it is better we do it collectively.”

Gradual phase-out of removal of fuel subsidy

Jonathan also talked about his push to abolish a much-criticized fuel subsidy. He tried to halt the subsidy in January but had to reinstate it partly in response strikes.

“Besides the issue of corruption, it was being abused,” he said. “All over the world, people advised that states should no longer subsidize hydrocarbons, because when you subsidize hydrocarbons, those who gain are not the ordinary people.”

“Quite a lot of Nigerians agree that subsidies must go,” he said, adding that he expected to again try a gradual phase-out to soften the impact of price increases. “This time around we will properly involve the people and give a robust timeline.”

Nigeria’s cities are expected to add 200 million people by 2050, more than doubling the country’s current population, the United Nations forecast in April. But Jonathan said he was wary of forecasts based on current trends and suggested that the country’s population growth would eventually slow down.

“That (growth forecast) is based on the present statistics in terms of a pattern of reproduction, which may not continue that way,” he said. “As more people become more educated and more aware, they tend to reduce the size of their population.”
[url]
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/09/govts-robust-approach-to-boko-haram-paying-off-jonathan/[/url]

Re: Empty Seats, As GEJ Addresses The UN General Assembly by CyberG: 5:12am On Sep 28, 2012
LWKMD! Choi...even those fellas at the UN know that this guy is a joke, most reasonable Nigerians would rather read his crap from reporters next day than waste their time listening to his BS. Choi...Obasanjo try for this area 'cos everyone (or most people) would listen to that man. Yes, he did not achieve as much as he should but when he has to address people, people will tune in. He knew how to project his authority, brought respect to the position of president and a much more efficient communicator than the dumb.ass Ph. D Daftluck..lol

30 Likes

Re: Empty Seats, As GEJ Addresses The UN General Assembly by CyberG: 5:15am On Sep 28, 2012
Some comments from original article...funny!

PAPII

Jona keeps on amazing me and embarrassing himself and the whole Nigerian Nation and its political class,addressing an empty Assembly who left because its just like listening to a rogue . Tell me what concerns United Nations Assembly with Subsidy/ Oil revenues into a sovereign wealth fund and Issue of going to court with Governors for crying out loud these are international matters that does not concern United Nations . How can they listen to the Leader of a Rouge country that embezzle Multi Millions of Dollars and nobody goes to jail talking about Agriculture, education, job creation this is setting the United Nations back on the pressing Issues of the world. He should have addressed Bakassi and also return of our stolen debts for development in Foreign Banks as a way to boost Naija economy than tell the world that he intends to remove subsidy and increase the suffering of the masses in the name of Subsidy while Naija is an Oil giant in the world. I think the Educational Qualification of Jona should be verified along with his team of advisers who have sworn to remain clueless

Like Reply
44 minutes ago F

31 Likes

Re: Empty Seats, As GEJ Addresses The UN General Assembly by CyberG: 5:17am On Sep 28, 2012
Idahosa
What a shame, Nigerian president addressing the hall. Even our African brothers and sisters no even wait to listen to our tales by moon light! Its not funny. Jona, i beg pack your things and come home! At least history go write say you address U.N general assembly.

Like Reply
1 hour ago

Okwudili
We told Jonathan to beware of Babangida, Atiku, etc but he refused and joined the terror train to gain temporary relief instead of squaring against the traitors . The world are not dumb, and i wish Jonathan can somehow grasp the reality, after all.

Like Reply
1 hour ago

candosky
Empty seats UN speech!!!

Like Reply
3 hours ago 1 Like

Ola
I counted ten people in the audience (eight black waiting for the GEJ to finish quickly so that they can discuss how they will get contracts and two whites reading newspaper).
Nigeria we hail thee.....

Like Reply
4 hours ago

Contact
Is GEJ talking to world leaders or their seats? Because from the picture above, its clear the auditorium was completely empty. You can as well see that the few that were sitting care less about his blab. Why didn't this man save himself the embarrassment by not addressing the hall at all since those he supposed to tell about his ineptitude all went out for coffee instead because they do not want the story of a failed leader? leadership no be by gra-gra Jonah boy

Like Reply
4 hours ago 1 Like

RepentNigeria
Black man blabbing away in far away New York... but where is his audience? We are here back home in Nigeria, hoping that you will eagerly talk to us and listen to what we yearn to tell you... The solution you seek... is here... is in you... is in your country and people.

Like Reply
4 hours ago

Francis510
We can see that all the seats were empty. Is seems no body want to listen to Jonatha. Whats going on Mr Jonathan?

Like Reply
5 hours ago

2 Likes

Re: Empty Seats, As GEJ Addresses The UN General Assembly by dayokanu(m): 5:22am On Sep 28, 2012
Retardeen Punked once again grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

This man is now notorious to be a worldwide moro0n.

WHo would take a man wearing black mourning sack clothes and a cowboy hat to address people. They should line him up with Chris Rock, Klint da drunk, I go dye, Baba Suwe and other comedians

Reminds me of this below

[img]https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/745012_00a-1_jpg9db310ec111881d42476fd50e933024d[/img]

18 Likes

Re: Empty Seats, As GEJ Addresses The UN General Assembly by kokoA(m): 6:19am On Sep 28, 2012
Haba! That is the president of the most populous black nation on earth speaking to an empty hall! Na wah o, if na me I for no read o. The organizers of this event should have paid 'stand-by' delegates to avoid embarassments of this nature.

1 Like

Re: Empty Seats, As GEJ Addresses The UN General Assembly by killuminati(m): 6:20am On Sep 28, 2012
GARRI get mouth pass this jona boy sef undecided
Re: Empty Seats, As GEJ Addresses The UN General Assembly by killuminati(m): 6:26am On Sep 28, 2012
Omo walai, even garri no suffer reach dis jona guy! grin
Re: Empty Seats, As GEJ Addresses The UN General Assembly by Biggyd2: 6:45am On Sep 28, 2012
Ghen ghen!!! GEJ went, he saw and he conquered We'll add that to his list of achievements.
Re: Empty Seats, As GEJ Addresses The UN General Assembly by acidtalk: 6:55am On Sep 28, 2012
Man can FORCE his way to Power
But ONLY GOD can Bestow Respect, Honor and Dignity on him.

God is definitely not pleased with Jonathan. His flaws and shortcomings are just too numerous and there seem to appear no end to his humilation, embarrasment and disgraceful life both home and Abroad.

Kaih!!! If na Obasanjo adress UN, even Obama go glue for seat ni. Who born am to standup when OBJ is speaking??

9 Likes

Re: Empty Seats, As GEJ Addresses The UN General Assembly by superior1: 7:01am On Sep 28, 2012
I am sure our Jona didn't even realized he was addressing nobody. This must be the handy work of ACN, CPC and other opposition parties

13 Likes

Re: Empty Seats, As GEJ Addresses The UN General Assembly by Pataki: 7:03am On Sep 28, 2012
I knew it!!!

Nationally, you are not respected. Internationally, you are a monumental disgrace. Why not just resign and spare Nigeria/Nigerians of this shame that your government represents?

GEJ, read the hand writing on the wall. Everyone across the globe knows you are STOOOPEED!

1 Like

Re: Empty Seats, As GEJ Addresses The UN General Assembly by Nobody: 7:15am On Sep 28, 2012
oh my fuc.king word! this is unbelievable shocked

1 Like

Re: Empty Seats, As GEJ Addresses The UN General Assembly by collins123(m): 7:51am On Sep 28, 2012
Damn. What more can I say?

Long live the king.
Re: Empty Seats, As GEJ Addresses The UN General Assembly by obowunmi(m): 7:54am On Sep 28, 2012
Don't you people want them to go on bathroom break? Ahn ahn - let us give our President the respect he deserves.

Might I add that the lunatics and assistants he brought with him from Nigeria were out shopping and spending Nigeria's money. I'm sure if they attended his lecture, the hall will be full.

11 Likes

Re: Empty Seats, As GEJ Addresses The UN General Assembly by Librate(m): 8:00am On Sep 28, 2012
grin grin grin grin is dis real?
Cnt stop oh. damn hilarious

1 Like

Re: Empty Seats, As GEJ Addresses The UN General Assembly by killuminati(m): 8:04am On Sep 28, 2012
collins123: Damn. What more can I say?

Long live the king.
which king? shocked cheesy king who
Re: Empty Seats, As GEJ Addresses The UN General Assembly by Clerverly: 8:16am On Sep 28, 2012
But lets face it, have you ever seen a management trainee addressing the Directors before? Ours is a Trainee Presido, so in my opinion they are right to disperse to whereever. tongue

5 Likes

Re: Empty Seats, As GEJ Addresses The UN General Assembly by Pukkah: 8:42am On Sep 28, 2012
Jonathan's handling of interviews is usually weak, lack-lustre and bland. He lacks erudition and talks without passion. Yet, he's supposed to be a former lecturer and a doctorate degree holder. Above all, he's supposed to be a leader.

Any wonder he could not assemble a star-studded cabinet with strict performance indicators? One of the clueless Ministers even said the Federal Government had done its best on the floods in the North Central region. What a country!

2 Likes

Re: Empty Seats, As GEJ Addresses The UN General Assembly by hakanai(m): 8:45am On Sep 28, 2012
Guys spare the president your bad wishes and unpatriotic comments angry angry angry. president GEJ kudos and may God give you the wisdom/leadership strength to excel. cool cool

14 Likes

Re: Empty Seats, As GEJ Addresses The UN General Assembly by Freiburger(m): 8:46am On Sep 28, 2012
Front page i beg.
Re: Empty Seats, As GEJ Addresses The UN General Assembly by IleIfe2(m): 8:47am On Sep 28, 2012
[size=15pt]Stop the ignorance. the only time you have a fully packed building is when these few guys are talking, Obama, ban-ki- moon, aunty Merkel, Hu Jintao, putin and any other world leader who's country is of immediate interest to world powers. e.g Mursi, Ahmadinejad

Nigeria is currently not of interest, as it has failed to implode or progress, so there comes the empty seats.[/size]

5 Likes

Re: Empty Seats, As GEJ Addresses The UN General Assembly by nikkyshyne(f): 8:48am On Sep 28, 2012
dayokanu: ..This man is now notorious to be a worldwide moro0n.

WHo would take a man wearing black mourning sack clothes and a cowboy hat to address people. They should line him up with Chris Rock, Klint da drunk, I go dye, Baba Suwe and other comedians
Oh boi, you'r wicked! cheesy cheesy
Re: Empty Seats, As GEJ Addresses The UN General Assembly by Freiburger(m): 8:48am On Sep 28, 2012
What can he offer? curruption?
Re: Empty Seats, As GEJ Addresses The UN General Assembly by Nobody: 8:56am On Sep 28, 2012
[size=16pt]He should wage military war on any nation that is absent, including the G8 nations sad sad sad sad sad[/size]
Re: Empty Seats, As GEJ Addresses The UN General Assembly by dplordx(m): 8:59am On Sep 28, 2012
Choi! Our Trainee Presido dont suffer O grin
Even the few people wey dey present look so bored. GEJ is internationally finished.
Where is BEAFy or Doyin to come spin this EMBARRASSMENT cheesy
Fashola will eat this nigger and Buhari and Atiku up come 2015! I hope his running mate makes all the difference cool
Re: Empty Seats, As GEJ Addresses The UN General Assembly by honeric01(m): 9:00am On Sep 28, 2012
Now, i am really sad for Nigeria! embarassed
Re: Empty Seats, As GEJ Addresses The UN General Assembly by Freiburger(m): 9:01am On Sep 28, 2012
This is a country that is by every means richer than Israel.

2 Likes

Re: Empty Seats, As GEJ Addresses The UN General Assembly by vanstanzy(m): 9:02am On Sep 28, 2012
cold: Is this what the world really thinks of Nigeria?

Govt’s robust approach to Boko Haram paying-off – Jonathan

President Goodluck Jonathan told the United Nations Thursday that Nigeria’s “robust” approach to neutralizing a threat posed by Islamist sect, Boko Haram using military force, holding indirect talks with the group and improving education in the North is paying off.

In an interview with Reuters on the sidelines of the U.N. General Assembly’s annual gathering of world leaders, President Goodluck Jonathan also played down the significance of the killing of the sect’s spokesman, Abu Qaqa, in a gun battle in Kano on September 16.

On the threat posed by Boko Haram, President Jonathan said, “If I look at it, the trend is coming down. It is not because Abu Qaqa is dead. Abu Qaqa is just one person. If one Abu Qaqa dies, it can generate 10 Abu Qaqas.

Jonathan said: “The issue is not the death of one person. The issue is that the robust approach that government is taking, exploiting all possible means … is paying off, and we believe it will continue to pay off.”

The military has been accused of using heavy-handed tactics in the past and previous operations targeting Boko Haram had resulted in civilian deaths. But Jonathan made it clear that the military approach could only be one part of the solution.

Much more important, he said, was a push to improve agriculture, job prospects and access to Western-style education in the predominantly Muslim north.

Agriculture, education, job creation

The President said; , “The whole approach, both the security aspects, the indirect talks, and the job opportunities that we are creating, we are giving hope to the people. The education institutions we are establishing are giving hope to the people.

“One links up with the other to get to the respite we are seeing now. I cannot credit it to only one approach”, he said

This week, the Joint Military Taskforce said it killed 35 members of Boko Haram and arrested several during an overnight gun battle in Damaturu, Yobe state capital.

President Jonathan also spoke about the Nigerian government’s plan to put oil revenues into a sovereign wealth fund, a move state governors vowed last week to go to court to prevent.

He said “Yes, we can go to court. But we believe it is not the best to solve certain problems through a court. We are discussing, and I believe at the end of the day we will get to a point where both parties will win.”

“They are not arguing because they know that the sovereign wealth fund is transparent, they trust the Minister of Finance. They feel that some of the states have challenges and they want to decide what percentage they can put in. But we feel no, it is better we do it collectively.”

Gradual phase-out of removal of fuel subsidy

Jonathan also talked about his push to abolish a much-criticized fuel subsidy. He tried to halt the subsidy in January but had to reinstate it partly in response strikes.

“Besides the issue of corruption, it was being abused,” he said. “All over the world, people advised that states should no longer subsidize hydrocarbons, because when you subsidize hydrocarbons, those who gain are not the ordinary people.”

“Quite a lot of Nigerians agree that subsidies must go,” he said, adding that he expected to again try a gradual phase-out to soften the impact of price increases. “This time around we will properly involve the people and give a robust timeline.”

Nigeria’s cities are expected to add 200 million people by 2050, more than doubling the country’s current population, the United Nations forecast in April. But Jonathan said he was wary of forecasts based on current trends and suggested that the country’s population growth would eventually slow down.

“That (growth forecast) is based on the present statistics in terms of a pattern of reproduction, which may not continue that way,” he said. “As more people become more educated and more aware, they tend to reduce the size of their population.”
[url]
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/09/govts-robust-approach-to-boko-haram-paying-off-jonathan/[/url]

President Jonathan, with all this TERROR and COMMOTION in the country, Nigeria deserves ACTION not words. Even the UN know this. This is really embarrassing. But please can we get a picture of the full hall? cos we might just be seeing what other peops want us to see by presenting a picture of a partly fill, sorry empty hall. It'll make alotta sense if we get the picture of the full hall, then again fv-ck it, it doesn't matter.
Re: Empty Seats, As GEJ Addresses The UN General Assembly by Caseless: 9:03am On Sep 28, 2012
My president cannot b disgraced or embarassed 2 d extent of deserting a hall while he was speakin. Is he in a state of obloquy or sumtin? Set up a commitee 2 look into this cos d oppositions ar behind dis. Acn nd cpc na una handiwork! Smh

1 Like

Re: Empty Seats, As GEJ Addresses The UN General Assembly by Nobody: 9:03am On Sep 28, 2012
Unbelievable!i never knew it was dis bad...jonathan,Ogini? Ki lode? Why?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

PDP Protests Against Lauretta Onochie's Nomination At National Assembly (Photos) / Tinubu May Emerge as APC BoT chairman / We Will Expose Uwazurike’s Sexual Atrocities Soon – MASSOB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.