Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,070 members, 7,818,196 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:02 AM

Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year (18244 Views)

Jonathan Okays Sanusi As Supreme Court Justice / Jonathan Okays Oil Jobs For Tompolo, Fasehun, Others / AGRIFEST 2015: Jonathan Okays N26 Billion For 2015 Dry Season Farming (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year by SkyBlue1: 8:08pm On Sep 30, 2012
duality: what of the one done during OBJ's reign? have we addressed those issues?

Who partook in that conference? What issues were raised there, what were the resolutions and where did we leave things? If you can't answer those questions then I think you commentary is invalid.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year by obailala(m): 8:10pm On Sep 30, 2012
I've heard so much about this National conference/confab of a thing and people keep clamouring for it. Can someone knowledgeable in these kind of things be kind enough to explain what this SNC really is. undecided undecided undecided

In my opinion, I feel a gathering of such nature would most likely end up in a brawl and everybody will eventually go back to their tents with little or no change. I however sincerely wish I'm wrong
Re: Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year by mymadam(m): 8:11pm On Sep 30, 2012
Sky Blue:

I disagree with the bolded part. Congress is made up of members in house of reps and senate. They are not all corrupt, but as an entity I don't trust that they feel the beat of the nation or have the interest of the people at heart. I think what we are actually being proposed here is what I had in mind anyway. A forum for Nigerians to discourse everything to do with out past, our present and what roads we want to take to our future. So far, I like what I am reading, especially the parts highlighted below (devolution of power, federalism, etc). The only part I am worried about is the involvement of the National Assembly in crafting the resulting bills. Nigerians should be ready to burn down Abuja if they even try to mess with the people's voice, and there should be referendums on certain issues.

"...as an entity I don't trust that they feel the beat of the nation or have the interest of the people at heart". Of course, Skye_Blue, that was exactly my message. See the icon! Any type of conference short of SNC would be an exercise in futility. God bless Nigeria.
Re: Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year by Nobody: 8:11pm On Sep 30, 2012
GEJ again? Does he now give a damn? A man who does not believe in state police, sees regional integration as balkanisation of Nigeria into "small tiny islands" is suddenly a convert of let's restructure Nigeria? Deception mixed with a dose of propaganda to further confuse the populace. He should try something else. Nigeria will be restructured when guys who actually favor restructuring the country get to power.
Re: Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year by Nobody: 8:11pm On Sep 30, 2012
These are my inputs into the SNC;

1. 100% Resource Control with 30% Taxable Revenue to the FGN
2. Abrogation of the Senate and House of Reps and formation of just one Legislative Chamber.
3. Constitutional Review to incorporate above and much more needed clauses.
4. State Police
5. RealTrue Census and Biometric Database
6. Introduction of Social Security System and Identification system to all Nigerians
7. Review of State Citizenship rights so I can have the right to contest for Governorship of Lagos State
8. Fiscal Independence of INEC and powers to INEC National Presidency to appoint State IECommissioners.
9. Revocation of all Present Oil Wells Ownership
10. One single Tenure of 7 Years
More to come when after some shots of Tequila

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year by vanstanzy(m): 8:12pm On Sep 30, 2012
[quote author=Erelu_Y][size=15pt]Jonathan okays national confab *Concludes consultations, SNC to take off next year[/size]

Written by Taiwo Adisa, Abuja
Sunday, September 30, 2012

PRELIMINARY consultations scheduled to lead to the convocation of a National Conference were said to have been wrapped up in the outgone week, as President Goodluck Jonathan was said to have given the green light on the planned confab. Investigations by Sunday Tribune revealed that President Jonathan had personally led some of the secret consultations with leaders of ethnic nationalities. Only a few of the consultations were held in the open, as it emerged that the president had also constituted a team that would midwife the conference.

A source said on Saturday that contrary to reports in a section of the media, the presidency was actually spearheading talks with some leaders of ethnic nationalities for the purpose of identifying the need for the much talked about national conference. According to findings, the conference is scheduled to start early next year, while the steering committee is now fine-tuning the modalities for the planned confab. Besides a number of consultations that took place in Abuja, it was gathered that a number of top presidency hands were deployed in Lagos, Kano, Kaduna as well as the South-East and South-South states to directly hold talks with leaders of many of the ethnic nationalities. Through the series of consultations, it was learnt that the consensus of opinion is that the country should provide a platform for the hitherto silent majority to ventilate their views on how to enhance Nigeria's unity and also ensure peaceful co-existence.

A source close to the arrangement said that the president had concluded on the need to ensure that Nigerians ventilate their views within the democratic space while the fears of various ethnic groups were also addressed. It was learnt that while the issues to be discussed at the confab would be moderated towards enhancing national unity, the government was willing to hear Nigerians out. Said a source in the know: "A lot has been said about the need for national conference or even the Sovereign National Conference and the president, being a listening leader, has actually consulted with many leaders from across this country. "There came the feeling that some Nigerians think the National Assembly may not really ventilate their views on devolution of powers, federalism and derivation, and that such issues are better thrashed out at the level of a national confab where people can truly agree on what they see as fundamentals." It was also learnt that the outcome of the planned confab would be handed over to the National Assembly, which would then prepare some bills in line with some agreed issues. A source said that the confab may last for only six months. In case the national confab could not complete its assignment before the completion of the ongoing constitution amendment exercise, a source said that the government would prepare separate bills for legislative action by the National Assembly.

SOURCES: http://www.tribune.com.ng/sun/front-page-articles/8677-jonathan-okays-national-confab-concludes-consultations-snc-to-take-off-next-year; http://odili.net/news/source/2012/sep/30/625.html

This time if this really works for good, i'll take everyone on Nairaland to the movies. grin grin grin
Re: Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year by divinelove(m): 8:14pm On Sep 30, 2012
This clearly shows dt the national assembly have failed in their duties and gej has agreed to dt. Snc is timely but d procedure of handling it ll determine its success or failure. I keep my fingers crossed as it unfolds.
Re: Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year by SkyBlue1: 8:14pm On Sep 30, 2012
bayooooooo: GEJ again? Does he now give a damn? A man who does not believe in state police, sees regional integration as balkanisation of Nigeria into "small tiny islands" is suddenly a convert of let's restructure Nigeria? Deception mixed with a dose of propaganda to further confuse the populace. He should try something else. Nigeria will be restructured when guys who actually favor restructuring the country get to power.

You are free to disagree but let us at least try to be fair. I support the IDEA of state police. but the reasons given against it are valid. Even Oshiomole is against state police.
Re: Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year by fortyfeet(m): 8:15pm On Sep 30, 2012
abifoluwa: Man, sometimes, i be like this man does something good and he is really up to something good. but the again i rem 1960s till date, all of them are all the same, nothing comes out of their plans. Absolutely nothing, i hope this one goes good, but i know it wont anyways. i knw 80 percent of yall feel the same way that i feel sha grin
Pessimism is a diesease of the mind. Level of education or exposure does not cure it.
Re: Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year by mrperfect(m): 8:16pm On Sep 30, 2012
Whatever that makes the lives of people better is fine.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year by mike404(m): 8:17pm On Sep 30, 2012
lipsrsealedlipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year by Nuzo1(m): 8:17pm On Sep 30, 2012
silica: U guys are pathetic. What do most of u use in thinking before responding to a post? Its obvious it not your brain. For years you all have been shouting for National conference now it is in d offing and your tune have changed again. Wow!!! I think you should mke up ur mind what u really want and stop this eternal hatred for anything initiated by this administration. The truth is your hatred wont erase the fact that GEJ is the president, the earlier you accept that and channel your energies to something positive including positive criticism where necessary, the better for the country and your blood pressure.
Re: Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year by SkyBlue1: 8:17pm On Sep 30, 2012
divinelove: This clearly shows dt the national assembly have failed in their duties and gej has agreed to dt. Snc is timely but [size=14pt]d procedure of handling it ll determine its success or failure[/size]. I keep my fingers crossed as it unfolds.

EXACTLY. And the fact that the National Assembly SEEMS to be sidelined in driving or crucially participating in this IS hopeful. Don't even know why I am getting so excited, this is just news and we have had many "I will" news before. Let us see what happens.
Re: Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year by chucky234(m): 8:19pm On Sep 30, 2012
SNC is long over due as that will afford Nigerians the opportunity to put heads together and proffer solutions to our many problems and see how we can move this great nation forward together as one people in unity.
Haven said that implementation has been our major problem in this country and I doubt if whatever positive ideas that comes out of the SNC will be properly implemented to yield the desired results.
Re: Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year by doctokwus: 8:21pm On Sep 30, 2012
There is nothing to celebrate.A sovereign national conference is more dan a president acceding to it.First what are d modalities of representation,or is it selected people frm d tribe of warlords,pirates,self made chiefs& gangsters whose only qualification is d size of their pockets,d armoury at their disposal?As long as d representation is flawed,its doomed.My suggestion is this:as flawed as d present NASS is,d common issues dat agitate nigerians as a people& nigeria as an entity(a no holds barred topic discussion) shd be debated by d members with independent input frm all strata of society,organisations and professional bodies.After d debates,d collation of all agreed views based on majority opinions shd be concisely presented in a FREE,FAIR, referendum to the nigerian people.Otherwise any sovereign whatsover with an existing national assembly is flawed,unless d NASS itself is dissolved,which nobody has d power to do.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year by SkyBlue1: 8:23pm On Sep 30, 2012
chucky234: SNC is long over due as that will afford Nigerians the opportunity to put heads together and proffer solutions to our many problems and see how we can move this great nation forward together as one people in unity.
Haven said that implementation has been our major problem in this country and I doubt if whatever positive ideas that comes out of the SNC will be properly implemented to yield to desire results.

O boy, if an SNC is done properly, and after the nation comes to an understanding the National Assembly does not pass agreements made by the people into law and the people just 'siddon dey look', then the people deserve to be slaves and should try doing it while also shutting the hell up. You have to fight for your freedom!
Re: Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year by Nobody: 8:24pm On Sep 30, 2012
duality: what of the one done during OBJ's reign? have we addressed those issues?
exactly! After spending taxpayers money to do that,at the end nothing to show for it! Now GEJ wants to do another one? I tire for nigeria!
Re: Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year by SkyBlue1: 8:26pm On Sep 30, 2012
doctokwus: There is nothing to celebrate.A sovereign national conference is more dan a president acceding to it.First what are d modalities of representation,or is it selected people frm d tribe of warlords,pirates,self made chiefs& gangsters whose only qualification is d size of their pockets,d armoury at their disposal?As long as d representation is flawed,its doomed.My suggestion is this:as flawed as d present NASS is,d common issues dat agitate nigerians as a people& nigeria as an entity(a no holds barred topic discussion) shd be debated by d members with independent input frm all strata of society ,organisations and professional bodies.After d debates,d collation of all agreed views based on majority opinions shd be concisely presented in a FREE,FAIR, referendum to the nigerian people.Otherwise any sovereign whatsover with an existing national assembly is flawed,unless d NASS itself is dissolved,which nobody has d power to do.

And what has been stopping NASS from doing this since? Abeg fashi dat tin.
Re: Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year by Nobody: 8:29pm On Sep 30, 2012
Sky Blue:

You are free to disagree but let us at least try to be fair. I support the IDEA of state police. but the reasons given against it are valid. Even Oshiomole is against state police.

I am not against SNC but looking at immediate past history the credibility of the convener is a true test of what to expect. Abacha had constitutional conference, OBJ set up National Political Reforms Conference and what were the results? Nothing because they-Abacha and OBJ-never really believed in it. They merely succummed to public pressure to arrange what I called "a caricature" of SNC to serve their own interests. Is this one being championed by GEJ (assuming the story is true) any different? Time will tell.

There is no good or "Valid" reason against state police. You can't run a federal system on paper while implementing a unitary system in practise and not get what Nigeria is today. If you don't know an environment, you can't police that environment effectively. Simple. The story of abuse is not new to Nigeria. Is Nigeria Police not being abused as it is today? The key thing is guaranteeing the independence and impartiality of Judiciacry to deal with any cases of abuse and with time, a normalised curve will emerge.
Re: Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year by abifoluwa: 8:30pm On Sep 30, 2012
fortyfeet:
Pessimism is a diesease of the mind. Level of education or exposure does not cure it.
ta, dey dere now dey deceive ya self.......
Re: Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year by cjrane: 8:31pm On Sep 30, 2012
Personally, i feel this is the only way to save Nigeria. Many Nigerians have serious grudges against the country.Fortunately most of these grudges center on corruption,wasteful government structures,the struggle for presidential power etc, these issues can be resolved and a formula worked out to share power. I hope Nigerians iron out their differences around a table
Re: Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year by newnaira: 8:35pm On Sep 30, 2012
GEJ can! He can deliver on this, he's sometimes resolute- this might be the a great step in the right direction. Let's watch on!
Re: Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year by omiobo: 8:35pm On Sep 30, 2012
Then,I comment my reserve till next year.
Re: Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year by citizenY(m): 8:36pm On Sep 30, 2012
[b][/b]IPROPOSE;-

1) ONE UNICAMERAL LEGISLATURE WITH PART TIME MEMBERS... NO PROFESSIONAL POLITICIANS PLEASE
2) TWO PARTY POLITICAL ARRANGEMENT
3) PARLIAMENTARY SYSTEM OF GOVERNMENT
4) INDEPENDENT CANDIDACY
5) REINTRODUCTION OF 5 YEAR DEVELOPMENT PLANS
6) FEDERAL SYSTEM WITH WEAK CENTER TO CONTAIN THE SCRAMBLE IN ABUJA
Re: Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year by doctokwus: 8:36pm On Sep 30, 2012
Sky Blue:

And what has been stopping NASS from doing this since? Abeg fashi dat tin.
My guy I wudnt fashy d thing.So tell me,how do u appoint true representatives of d pple,just think& tell me d criteria dat shd b used in a country where ordinary elections are based on ur pocket's ability to outrig ur opponent.Den what do u do wt d present NASS,corrupt as dey are,who can dissolve dem,GEJ,u or I.D ironic thing is dat GEJ is d least competent person to accede or understand wat a SNC entails.So I won't fashy what I know is blowing thick air
Re: Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year by Nobody: 8:39pm On Sep 30, 2012
Nice move, I plead with the different factions of Nigeria not to collect bribes rather to reflect on the wishes of the people who they will represent
Re: Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year by Nobody: 8:42pm On Sep 30, 2012
i want nigeria divided. Period. †ЂΞ country is τ̅o complex τ̅o remain one. We should divide peacefully. Sekina o

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year by SkyBlue1: 8:43pm On Sep 30, 2012
doctokwus:
My guy I wudnt fashy d thing.So tell me,how do u appoint true representatives of d pple,just think& tell me d criteria dat shd b used in a country where ordinary elections are based on ur pocket's ability to outrig ur opponent.Den what do u do wt d present NASS,corrupt as dey are,who can dissolve dem,GEJ,u or I.D ironic thing is dat GEJ is d least competent person to accede or understand wat a SNC entails.So I won't fashy what I know is blowing thick air

But in the same vein your argument backfires. You already accept that NASS isn't perfect, but then who chooses the credibility of your 'independent inputs' in your proposal? To be honest the closer to the grass roots the better. I would prefer if state houses thrash out this issue and report to the centre than leaving this for NASS, and even that would not quite satisfy me because it is mstill the same questionable system. What we can do is just go old skool, town hall and village meetings across all states over a period of time to discuss certain issues, referendum around certain issues on the outcome of meetings, and we go from there.
Re: Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year by ndcide(m): 8:46pm On Sep 30, 2012
if the conference is not about dividing 9ja peacefully, then its prolly gona be waste of time and money.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year by ACM10: 8:47pm On Sep 30, 2012
Nothing was said about

1. How the representatives of ethnic nationalities will be selected?

2. The issues to be discussed

3. Is their resolution binding on the government?

Government should not waste their time with another Obasanjo style charade. They are in for a big surprise if they think that they will play on the sensibility of Nigerians.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

DSS Operatives Arrest Ibanga Isine, Premium Times Editor / Amosun ; No To Grazing Routes In Ogun State... / Hassan Bako Dumps APC, Defects To PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.