Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,974 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:50 AM

Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year (18242 Views)

Jonathan Okays Sanusi As Supreme Court Justice / Jonathan Okays Oil Jobs For Tompolo, Fasehun, Others / AGRIFEST 2015: Jonathan Okays N26 Billion For 2015 Dry Season Farming (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year by saintohia: 8:30am On Oct 01, 2012
SNC is long over due.

Everything about Nigeria doesn't exist for Nigerians (starting from the name Nigeria, no Nigerian constitution, one Nigeria is also for the West to keep milking us like other African states, etc) but for those running Project Nigeria.

Re: Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year by Gbawe: 8:53am On Oct 01, 2012
saintohia: SNC is long over due.

Everything about Nigeria doesn't exist for Nigerians (starting from the name Nigeria, no Nigerian constitution, one Nigeria is also for the West to keep milking us like other African states, etc) but for those running Project Nigeria.

I certainly agree but let me add that it is a sincere SNC that is long overdue. Not a cynical show like what we saw under OBJ when our former President attempted to use the conference to surreptitiously sneak in his third term agenda.

The PDP can never convene a sincere SNC where suggested solutions will be holistically accepted and made law. They, as a Party, are too much about the central looting of Nigeria's wealth to ever accept the decentralisation and devolution of power an SNC would naturally favour. GEJ is just using vacuous populism to buy time. We see him regularly doing the opposite of what can transform Nigeria instantly.

This cannot be the man who will deliver a sincere SNC because he is the same chap, when it was entirely the wrong thing to do, who pandered to cronyism and showed he is not part of the solution by conceding our refineries into possibly the most corrupt and incompetent hands on Earth for the next 2 years. I.e the NNPC. That move alone ensures that efforts to make Nigeria refines its crude endowment ,optimally, is dead for the next 2 years. When a President is obviously sabotaging his own nation that brazenly, what more needs to be seen for us to understand we are at the mercy of another Oligarchic crew?

GEJ is simply another President leading for the Oligarchic takeover of Nigeria. A sincere SNC cannot come from such a character. His economic team is full of those who owe billions yet never stop bidding to control and corner State assets for themselves. I can bet any money that Otedola, Dangote et al will "win" the bids for Nigerian refineries in future.
Re: Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year by Nobody: 8:56am On Oct 01, 2012
I'll be there at the confab LIVE, with my "garri" advocates and we shall make our case known and push for the price of "garri" to be reduced accross the federation!
Thanks GEJ at least our voices will soon be heard!

President!
Re: Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year by Moves: 11:22am On Oct 01, 2012
Gbawe:

I certainly agree but let me add that it is a sincere SNC that is long overdue. Not a cynical show like what we saw under OBJ when our former President attempted to use the conference to surreptitiously sneak in his third term agenda.

The PDP can never convene a sincere SNC where suggested solutions will be holistically accepted and made law. They, as a Party, are too much about the central looting of Nigeria's wealth to ever accept the decentralisation and devolution of power an SNC would naturally favour. GEJ is just using vacuous populism to buy time. We see him regularly doing the opposite of what can transform Nigeria instantly.

This cannot be the man who will deliver a sincere SNC because he is the same chap, when it was entirely the wrong thing to do, who pandered to cronyism and showed he is not part of the solution by conceding our refineries into possibly the most corrupt and incompetent hands on Earth for the next 2 years. I.e the NNPC. That move alone ensures that efforts to make Nigeria refines its crude endowment ,optimally, is dead for the next 2 years. When a President is obviously sabotaging his own nation that brazenly, what more needs to be seen for us to understand we are at the mercy of another Oligarchic crew?

GEJ is simply another President leading for the Oligarchic takeover of Nigeria. A sincere SNC cannot come from such a character. His economic team is full of those who owe billions yet never stop bidding to control and corner State assets for themselves. I can bet any money that Otedola, Dangote et al will "win" the bids for Nigerian refineries in future.
@ Gbawe... What do you mean by a sincere SNC? sincerity on whose part? I know it is the job of opposition to criticize everything GEJ does, but the same opposition were clamoring for SNC, GEJ and the Senate are now buying into the Idea. IMO all GEJ has to do is to convene the SNC, the sincerity of purpose or outcome depends on the Nigerian people, their representatives, House of Rep and Senate which at the last check includes opposition party members (ACN, CPC ANPP, APGA et al).
In regards to the Oligarch, you conveniently excluded Tinubu and other opposition goons... Nigeria cannot move forward if we the youth continuously view and take positions on matters of national and economic interest based on ethnic, regional or party affiliations. Otedola and Dangote are known businessmen whose wealth are easily attributed to the business dealings regardless of whatever misgivings you and I may have about their business dealings whilst Tinubu is a known politician (a smart and astute one) and his wealth is attributed to his political activities.
Re: Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year by jaybee(f): 12:17pm On Oct 01, 2012
mymadam: A National Conference on its own will turn out to be a super exercise in futility and a possible criminal waste of tax-payers' money. The National Assembly, being the 'representatives of the Nigerian people' tongue can handle that. What Nigerians want and deserve is a SOVEREIGN NATIONAL CONFERENCE, without no-go areas. The difference is clear. Well, we are waiting & watching. God bless Nigeria.

Well, i have a somewhat different view on this. a conference is a conference. its outcome is far more important than the name; nomenclature. the outcome, meaningful or not, will be determined by the active participants, which is also contingent on the mode of selection of the participants. even if it is called SOVEREIGN NATIONAL CONFERENCE (IN CAPITALS) and it is arranged by the government of the day it does not make it sovereign.

on the issue of national assembly, they have shown, consistently that they are for their bellies and pockets; not for the people. that is what brought about the idea of national conference, by whatever name it is called. but a national meeting to discuss the way forward is desirable. in my opinion, nigeria in her present state and leadership/followership, there is little hope for this country.
Re: Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year by airfinance(m): 2:14pm On Oct 01, 2012
mymadam: A National Conference on its own will turn out to be a super exercise in futility and a possible criminal waste of tax-payers' money. The National Assembly, being the 'representatives of the Nigerian people' tongue can handle that. What Nigerians want and deserve is a SOVEREIGN NATIONAL CONFERENCE, without no-go areas. The difference is clear. Well, we are waiting & watching. God bless Nigeria.
Let's get something straight here,is the national assembly really representatives of the people?I think the answer is No.what laws since 99 has the two chambers passed that are beneficial to the common man in nigeria?we should stop deceiving ourselves in this country.
Re: Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year by mymadam(m): 2:39pm On Oct 01, 2012
airfinance:
Let's get something straight here,is the national assembly really representatives of the people?I think the answer is No.what laws since 99 has the two chambers passed that are beneficial to the common man in nigeria?we should stop deceiving ourselves in this country.

Hi airfinance, you must have missed the icon in my post. God bless Nigeria.
Re: Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year by otokx(m): 3:23pm On Oct 01, 2012
of what use is sovereign national conference? please give us good roads and constant electricity Goodluck Jonathan
Re: Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year by 3kay945(m): 9:42pm On Oct 01, 2012
So Bros Jonah as finally developed gut to carried out the much expected sovereign national conference?. I doubt it.. he can only faking the start, he cant implement any tangible and pressing issue from it. The guy can't just give what he doesn't have. He is clueless and gutless.
Re: Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year by saintohia: 8:20am On Oct 02, 2012
@ Gbawe,

Since you don't believe GEJ govt. would conduct a sincere SNC, what do you suggest Nigerians should do to ensure a sincere SNC?

Or do you think a better option should be for GEJ govt. not to call / support SNC that Nigerians have been clamoring for?

Nigerians have the power and will to make the SNC a success if only they ( we) are ready and determined to have one.

There are only two options to change / transform Nigeria:

1. SNC
Or
2. Revolution (forced transformation), which would seem to be more result oriented but Nigerians are not ready for this, which is the major reason the previous Nigerian govt. till now has always taken Nigerians for granted...
Re: Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year by pdozie: 2:23pm On Oct 02, 2012
Sometime i am amazed at how we Nigerians react. All along many people were clamouring for a conference - whether sovereign or whatever name it is - it matters less now. GEJ is now buying into it still many are not happy. haba!!! What should he do? Call soldiers to take over??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

EdoDecides: Blind Man Assisted By His Daughter To Vote (pics) / Give Us Land For Air Peace’s Aviation Hub, Ugwuanyi Pleads With FG / 2019 Elections: Boko Haram Plans Attack, US Warns Citizens

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.