Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,769 members, 7,824,231 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:48 AM

A Letter To All Job Seekers - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / A Letter To All Job Seekers (13187 Views)

An Important Lesson All Job Seekers Should Learn / This Elephant Manages To Escape A 14 Lion Attack(motivation For All Job Seekers) / Job Seekers: What Course Did You Study (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Letter To All Job Seekers by acidtalk: 9:58am On Oct 03, 2012
A Letter To All Job Seekers.

Dear Mr /Mrs / Miss Job seeker,
If I say I don't understand the frustration and humiliation you have been going through every single day in hope of getting a job is an understatement.

Loss of jobs, unemployment and mass retirement is a global trend the world over. From Greece, Italy, Spain, UK, and the United States there is a massive downsizing in every single organization, even fortune 500 companies are not left out. Big names like Yahoo, Google, Apple, Ericksson and others are all downsizing thereby sending more job seekers into the already over populated unemployment market.

Coming back home, the downsizing made in the banking sector which as affected several banks such as the former Intercontinental, Oceanic and others like Fin bank, Zenith, Wema, Afribank, Union bank and several others has nothing to do with the CBN governors bad policies but only a reasonable step each bank had to take to maximize profits and have a clear balance sheet.

The problem why you are still jobless is either you are too pompous and arrogant to start small by taking little jobs like sales representative or customer service agent jobs even though might not pay well or give you that job satisfaction, but will enable you clear some of your bills or you are too arrogant to apply for certain type of jobs like the opening made by Dangote for trailer drivers.

What ever decision you have been taken why have made you remain jobless, remember that for each job openings, there are over a thousand people fighting for that single position.

Also, may I inform you that most job openings you see in the dailies and on the internet are facade? As the top executives of those organizations already have their personal people to fill up those advertized positions.

Nigeria like anywhere else around the world runs on Networking, meaning those who know the right people in the right places are the ones that get fixed in job positions easily. While the menial positions are advertised for the masses to crumble over.

My advice is, as time waits for no one and you realize you aren't getting younger by each passing day, remove you coat made of Pride and Shoes made of Arrogance and take up some jobs you didn't find attractive or appealing enough before you read this letter.

I have seen people get employed as cleaners and office assistance but due to their humility, intelligence and hardwork, they rose to senior management positions within the shortest possible time. To the amazement of other staff of such organization.

A lot to be said but I will continue later. For now reflect on your life and realize there is no job irrespective of the pay package and job scope that will ever satisfy you. So why don't you get a job today while you look for a better on that eating and sleeping in your pride while other forge ahead and live you behind.

Yours Truly

Acidtalk and Family.

15 Likes

Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by acidtalk: 3:20pm On Oct 03, 2012
Start and grow big
Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by tm2tm: 4:59pm On Oct 03, 2012
I had a job opportunity that I lost, after building a cold room of 30 tonnes in a market area, for my dad who is 73 years of age and I am the first son. I was to be the manager on an initial salary of 10,000 naira. But things fell apart when my father started disregarding me through insults and other means so I got frustrated and left the whole thing. Now I am back to the labour market I am 37 and no job with a lady of 34 with me stiLl looking for a job too. I am a sham to return to my dad. I am confused...

1 Like

Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by acidtalk: 5:11pm On Oct 03, 2012
tm2tm: I had a job opportunity that I lost, after building a cold room of 30 tonnes in a market area, for my dad who is 73 years of age and I am the first son. I was to be the manager on an initial salary of 10,000 naira. But things fell apart when my father started disregarding me through insults and other means so I got frustrated and left the whole thing. Now I am back to the labour market I am 37 and no job with a lady of 34 with me stiLl looking for a job too. I am a sham to return to my dad. I am confused...

My brother don't be confused.
I will like to ask you some few questions.

* How many years ago did this incident happen?

* Has your dad gotten someone else who is presently managing the cold room?

* how are your managing (financial) with a wife and little or no income?

My advice is for you to wave away every single pride in you and make peace with your father.

As meager as the sum might be (N10,000/month), I will like to inform you that you should have looked beyond the pay and access other opportunities you could have gotten with that Cold Room business you had at your disposal.

I suggest you repackage yourself and put your experience to play. Start proposal managing people's cold room business as so many are being mismanaged as well as setting up for new business people who want to go into the business with little or no knowledge.

1 Like

Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by acidtalk: 5:33pm On Oct 03, 2012
There are 2 threads I will like to share with people who are either still confused on what to do with their lives or people who have decided but don't yet know how to go about it.

https://www.nairaland.com/987784/a-z-entrepreneur-all-need-know#11402708

https://www.nairaland.com/987294/entrepreneurs-what-kept-going

1 Like

Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by Nobody: 4:47am On Oct 04, 2012
Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by acidtalk: 9:23am On Oct 04, 2012
With your experience and multitasking abilities it would be very easy for you to get another job. Just keep pushing.

But on a second thought, why do most people just jump at resigning from a job when they haven't even talked things through management?

Things like salary increase, cutting down your work load, unsatisfied management decisions and others are things you can easily bring to the attention of management to correct instead of just walking out on the job.

Also, never ever resign from a job if you haven't gotten another one to replace it with.
Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by tm2tm: 9:58am On Oct 04, 2012
@Acidetalk the whole project(building of the cold room house and office and installation of the cold room) started in February, my dad was abroad all the while he came back june and that's when I started having issues with him(he is disappointed that I am not yet settled and my younger brothers are though they made it through yahoo and were lucky although I tried same means but was not as lucky). I am not married but in a 13 years relationship, I have been delayed in life because I am not financially stable. The latest now is that, there is no manager yet as at now, and according to my mum they are getting ready to start marketing with fliers. My woman just graduated as a science lab tech. And has been out there lOoking for job, cos her business is not doing really well (make up artist, training of students, selling of make up accessories) due to fall in customer base. I really would like to get married this year or early next year to enable us start having babies cos time is not on her side any more and my brother as u already know women, the delay has caused many issues with me n her even as I write.
Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by acidtalk: 11:26am On Oct 04, 2012
I totally understand and feel your pain.
The reason why you didn't succeed in the 'yahoo' trade is because God has not destined you to acquire early sinful/cursed money and then punish you for it later. He wants you to succeed through genuine hardwork.

Is there a way you could come to an agreement with your dad on the coldroom business? If the matter hasn't gone beyond hand, I suggest you talk him back into allowing you manage the business.

As for the marriage thing, please don't rush into it if you haven't gotten enough funds because marriage is far different from dating.

Don't lose faith in God. Keep pushing as there's always light at the end of the tunnel.

3 Likes

Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by legalwealth(m): 2:41pm On Oct 04, 2012
Thanks so much for this but I think that

"Being one BOSS is still the best option so far"

1 Like

Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by stepo707: 2:46pm On Oct 04, 2012
undecided undecided
Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by Iolo(m): 3:09pm On Oct 04, 2012
Great.

We definitely need more enterpreneurs.
Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by Nobody: 3:09pm On Oct 04, 2012
Any job seeker who's sharp should know being your own boss is number one. Try and make money for yourself then invest your earning to promte your business or buy up new ones. You can get a business idea in online importation to operate with at www.smallbusiness.com.ng and become your own CEO.

Cheers
Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by Wallie(m): 3:15pm On Oct 04, 2012
seunshow00: Hmmmmmm.

As if you heard my heart murmuring.

I left school in 2008 and server in 2009 in a bank. I qualified as a Chartered Accountant in May, 2010 with no job. I eventually got fixed with a firm in lekki in July, 2011 and later resigned 5months down the line due to delay of salary and other bad treatment.

After prayers and fasting at Shilo 2011, I got another job same month(December,2011). I got x2 benefits(compared to last job) though more work. I tried to keep this one not until June this year. I had to resign due to bad management,late working hours(I close 9pm,even on saturdays), work demands(I signed up as an Accountant but the role of a business manager,secretary to the CEO and Auditor was added to it lately).

I resigned June and I have been to different interviews but a new job is not fortcoming. I think I can say I am frustrated at this point and I have learnt how to stick with my job most importantly when things are't fine.

I am seriuosly confused on what should be the next chapter now. I stay with my brother who is now married and I need I place of my own as fast as possible because of the signals I'm getting from the wife.

I pray I just get a job now!!!!!!!!

One thing you have to understand that it is human nature to think that the “grass is greener on the other side.” What makes you think that your next job will be any better?

I don't know what you've been through personally but I have a had time believing that there's nothing wrong with a person that quit 2 jobs in two years especially in this atmosphere. So what you have to be the business manager, secretary to the CEO and Auditor? Have you ever heard of paying your dues? Don’t you think being able to multi-task and learn all those different skills makes you more marketable to the next company or better yet, provide you with the skills necessary to run your own company?

For the life of me, I simply can’t fathom why you would quit a job without a backup plan! You come across as having a sense of entitlement but I guess time will tell if it is deserved or not.

2 Likes

Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by mrperfect(m): 3:20pm On Oct 04, 2012
Interesting information.
Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by femi4: 3:27pm On Oct 04, 2012
acidtalk: With your experience and multitasking abilities it would be very easy for you to get another job. Just keep pushing.

But on a second thought, why do most people just jump at resigning from a job when they haven't even talked things through management?

Things like salary increase, cutting down your work load, unsatisfied management decisions and others are things you can easily bring to the attention of management to correct instead of just walking out on the job.

Also, never ever resign from a job if you haven't gotten another one to replace it with.
It doesn't praticallly work like that in Nigeria.
1. In some Org, you don't question your Boss. Try and complain about anything, he ll terminate your appointment or ask you to resign

2. Some jobs are time consuming, I m afraid, if you did not resign, you might find it difficult having time to look for another job
Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by Jarus(m): 4:13pm On Oct 04, 2012
Good one.

I have always been an advocate of 'at all, at all na hin bad' - that is, taking a job, irrespective of how meagre the pay is, in as much as your honour is intact and it is a legitimate job. This was why I fully endorsed Dangote's graduate driver scheme on the pages of newspapers.

I have a brother with MBA earning 30k per month in a small tax consultancy outfit. He was humble enough to take it. He is gaining experience at least.

Truth, like the poster said, is that you can never be satisfied. Dangote, with all his billions, is still looking for more money and complaining. When I was earning less than 200k per annum few years ago, I was complaining, it kept increasing and the complaint never stopped. Even with almost 3 times that figure now, one is still complaining. That is life.

My advice for graduates looking for job is:
1, Package yourself well. Packaging has always made great difference for me
2, Load yourself - read, read and read; be versatile, know something about everything; you will impress in tests and interviews
3, The journey starts from school - struggle for good results. There is a lot of competition in the marketplace; equip yourself with extra materials
4, Information is key. Access information. Information makes great difference in job hunting

1 Like

Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by AjanleKoko: 4:48pm On Oct 04, 2012
@OP,
it's not true that most advertised jobs are facades. You think companies would pay a lot of money on advertising, only to not hire anybody?
Qualified and quality candidates usually get jobs. My first job was from an advert in the Guardian, believe it or not.

The problem is that candidates in Nigeria apply for each and every job advertised, regardless of their qualification and fit for the job. Not that it is the fault of the graduates, it's a desperate situation. But even in the chaos, a focused person can still find something.

1 Like

Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by acidtalk: 4:56pm On Oct 04, 2012
@Jarus, you are so on point.
One major problem why so many people are not employed is that they know next to nothing. Youths of today find it difficult to read business, management, inspirational and History books. They don't news news and business stations as well. You only find them watching MTV, bET, E!, Mnet and the rest.

Intellect is perceived as soon as you enter the interview room.

2 Likes

Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by goofie: 5:05pm On Oct 04, 2012
Wallie:

One thing you have to understand that it is human nature to think that the “grass is greener on the other side.” What makes you think that your next job will be any better?

I don't know what you've been through personally but I have a had time believing that there's nothing wrong with a person that quit 2 jobs in two years especially in this atmosphere. So what you have to be the business manager, secretary to the CEO and Auditor? Have you ever heard of paying your dues? Don’t you think being able to multi-task and learn all those different skills makes you more marketable to the next company or better yet, provide you with the skills necessary to run your own company?

For the life of me, I simply can’t fathom why you would quit a job without a backup plan! You come across as having a sense of entitlement but I guess time will tell if it is deserved or not.

i do agree that he shldnt have quit without getting anoda.

but i feel that though the various jobs he was handling would help him in future, it cld also cause a nervous breakdown if he continues to overstress his system without adequate rest.

what he shld hv done as u guys alrdy said, was to talk to d management first and then if nothing is done, he shld start trying to secure anoda job and then quit.
Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by excondido(m): 5:36pm On Oct 04, 2012
@Acidtalk
the tone of ur letter is down right insensitive smirking the so called job seeker arrogant is not the best way to go about it.
there are different school of thought on how to approach the labor market, thus talking at people that pride is the cause of their lack of job doesnt warm the heart at all.
i encourage people to start small and aim high but putting them down like u did gonna spur anybody.

u need to be sympathetic to their plight by telling them to keep pushing .
Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by acidtalk: 6:05pm On Oct 04, 2012
We all view things differently, if it appeared that way to you then i will say i am most sorry as the letter wasn't intended to hurt anyone.
Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by Jarus(m): 6:08pm On Oct 04, 2012
AjanleKoko: @OP,
it's not true that most advertised jobs are facades. You think companies would pay a lot of money on advertising, only to not hire anybody?
Qualified and quality candidates usually get jobs. My first job was from an advert in the Guardian, believe it or not.

The problem is that candidates in Nigeria apply for each and every job advertised, regardless of their qualification and fit for the job. Not that it is the fault of the graduates, it's a desperate situation. But even in the chaos, a focused person can still find something.
I agree. I also got my current job via Guardian advert. The advert was in Oct 2011 edition of Guardian.

1 Like

Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by Jarus(m): 6:19pm On Oct 04, 2012
acidtalk: @Jarus, you are so on point.
One major problem why so many people are not employed is that they know next to nothing. Youths of today find it difficult to read business, management, inspirational and History books. They don't news news and business stations as well. You only find them watching MTV, bET, E!, Mnet and the rest.

Intellect is perceived as soon as you enter the interview room.
The last interview I had for my current job got to a point we were discussing current affairs as it related to my role. Asked when the new Personal Income Tax regime takes effect, I answered with something like : "Few days ago, I was reading in newspaper a statement credited to Finance Minister, Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala that the law was already on the President's desk for assentment.....blabla".
Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by Nobody: 6:19pm On Oct 04, 2012
@Topic,

yeah your letter and the response of others have been on point.
its a shame the situation we find ourselves in this country and indeed the world over,
and its pitiful how someone could go through school and can't find a decent job to do.

all the same its ok to start small, like someone said, THINK BIG but don't ACT BIG...

The issue of graduates not willing to acquire knowledge, and broaden their understanding of issues around them, is terrible.
everybody wants to work for the major companies, but very few are willing to pay the sacrifice it would take.

but here is my own advice,

first, sit yourself down, and ask what kinda career you wanna pursue,
secondly find out what it will take to get there
thirdly if you get a good Job, glory be to God, but if you don't then hold on to what you have and plan from there.

Open your eyes and look around you and see what others can't see.

where ever you find yourself, no matter the situation always try to create a value for yourself and your employers.
make an impact, and give your best to become the best at what you do.

when your employer thinks he is punishing you, he is actually building you, you just have to change your mindset.
try and find something positive in what you are doing to keep you motivated.
and by God's grace, you will reach your goals.

behind every successful man, there is a great story to tell......

1 Like

Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by divinelove(m): 6:29pm On Oct 04, 2012
My advice to all job seekers,
it doesnt matter where u start but where u end. Dnt be idle, start small n grow gradually. God does nt despise d days of little beginning. Most times its only d grave dt starts from the top. Growth is a process in life which we pass thro in all areas of our lives. Stay strong
Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by sessydoo(m): 7:37pm On Oct 04, 2012
@OP, some nice points from you but i want you to know that some coys retrench just because they are simply wicked. For instance you mentioned the Banking industry, there are so many ways u can cut cost, u either reduce salary & other benefits or lay-off. I wonder why so many big coys are quick to lay-off even when they set unrealistic targets for their staff. A more people-oriented orgs would consult wt their union and determine the best approach and in most cases people always prefer a cut in salary than laying off ppl. Its not too nice a thing to do and unfortunately the employers of labour always get away wt it because we have a moribund Union at d National level to fight for d workers. More annoying is the mode of retrenchment, in some cases they would just ask the boss to nominate 2 or 3 ppl from his dept, and dats all. God help u, u re not in ur Boss' good book....very unfortunate.
Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by steffans(m): 7:52pm On Oct 04, 2012
tm2tm: @Acidetalk the whole project(building of the cold room house and office and installation of the cold room) started in February, my dad was abroad all the while he came back june and that's when I started having issues with him(he is disappointed that I am not yet settled and my younger brothers are though they made it through yahoo and were lucky although I tried same means but was not as lucky). I am not married but in a 13 years relationship, I have been delayed in life because I am not financially stable. The latest now is that, there is no manager yet as at now, and according to my mum they are getting ready to start marketing with fliers. My woman just graduated as a science lab tech. And has been out there lOoking for job, cos her business is not doing really well (make up artist, training of students, selling of make up accessories) due to fall in customer base. I really would like to get married this year or early next year to enable us start having babies cos time is not on her side any more and my brother as u already know women, the delay has caused many issues with me n her even as I write.

I undastand exactly wat u we're saying.....I helped ma Dad set up a Cooperative..it was doin well..most of my sibilings were not arund and at dat tym I wasn't doin anythng..d insults started coming..sometyms it myt not be even ma Fault..I will receive insults..I tink its jst too typical of our 9ja parents..nt knowing our sacrifies..I latr got a Job and am doin well..even got me a car..now am tryn 2 Upgrade to an FG job n continue with a litle bizness cuz dats d in thng...

My questns 4 u is...do u have a gud degree...do u have professional Certificates..If u don't have gud certificates..swallow ur Pride..(we kids all have it)..go back 2 ur fathers Cold Room..and its like u said earlier..ur Dad is 73 years Old..he will soon not have d strenght to do sumthngs..stick arund and take Charge...
Its Well with u!!!!!!
Cheers....
Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by gempo(m): 7:55pm On Oct 04, 2012
Well i wish those who are still searching for jobs good luck. For me my orientation has changed a long time ago and am now working towards being independent and building a passive income for myself.
Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by Immortal1(m): 8:39pm On Oct 04, 2012
I quite disagree wit ur opinion on d marriage issue. You never can tell, his breakthrough could just be hinged on him getting married. If they can both get along as friends, they will also do well in marriage.
As 4 financial stability, it would have been cool if he can get some capital from his dad 2 start up his own thing; even Dangote did it!
acidtalk: I totally understand and feel your pain.
The reason why you didn't succeed in the 'yahoo' trade is because God has not destined you to acquire early sinful/cursed money and then punish you for it later. He wants you to succeed through genuine hardwork.

Is there a way you could come to an agreement with your dad on the coldroom business? If the matter hasn't gone beyond hand, I suggest you talk him back into allowing you manage the business.

As for the marriage thing, please don't rush into it if you haven't gotten enough funds because marriage is far different from dating.

Don't lose faith in God. Keep pushing as there's always light at the end of the tunnel.
Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by iykeboyy(m): 9:53pm On Oct 04, 2012
From what i can see in the above comments this thread is made for people who are guru in coining words. To be frank i love the way u guys contruct with words.ask 4 Me nah! i still be undergraduate nah.
@topic if u are a graduate seeking 4 job just be humble, pray hard, and more especially start from somewhere.REMEMBER THE WAY TO THE TOP IS DOWN!

(1) (2) (Reply)

150, 000 Nigerians To Benefit From Interswitch Empowerment Initiative / 3 Steps To Get A High Paying Job In Nigeria / BEDC Graduate Trainee Programme Requires Covid-19 Vaccination As A Pre-condition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.